As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PATV] NEW SHOW! Extra Credits - Pacing

2»

• Options
    AshokaAshoka A Hub subforum that works? Registered User regular
    Elbasunu wrote:
    And with this, I now watch more TV on PATV than anywhere else.

This.

Also, I liked the Clerks type music. Not a fan of the altered voice though.

WNskB.jpg
  • Options
    AjbcoolAjbcool Registered User new member
    Pretty awesome to see this come here, not because of anything PA-related, but because of the PATV player. I can watch it from my Android without hitches! I'll probably watch some other vids from PATV due to this, and wanted to go out of my way, create an account, and say that.

On topic, this idea of pacing is very helpful, and I'll probably rewatch it a few times to help with my own endeavors!

• Options
    NKnightNKnight Registered User new member
    Hurray!! :D

But why a topic about the episode is not availabe right under the video? Will I have to walk all the way up to the foruns and look for a topic about the episode to talk about it? :P

• Options
    KadeshiKadeshi Registered User regular
    It's good to see Extra Creditz has found a new home. Couldn't have chosen a better place myself. Looking forward to all their old material being uploaded as well.

while(1);{"errors": "I call shenanigans", "success": false}
  • Options
    Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Man, this is like the best, only better

I'm about to lose all control
    of my bowelsohhhhhhhhhhhhshit!

• Options
    RobAnybodyRobAnybody Registered User regular
    Very, very happy that EC found a good home with PATV. Best possible solution in the wake of all the Escapist drama. However, I tried shooting Extra Creditz an email at their gmail address to congratulate them on it, and it got bounced back. Anyone had any luck getting in touch with the EC crew?

"When a man's hands are even with your head, his crotch is even with your teeth."
    -Ancient Dwarfish Proverb
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    I don't like the voice and I don't like learning. But aside from that, this is pretty good. I'll be checking it out weekly. Welcome aboard.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Yeah i didn't mention it before but the voice is really, really fucking annoying

• Options
    TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    So how long do you think it'll be for the old episodes to be put up?

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    An excellent addition to the line up!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Formica ArchonisFormica Archonis Registered User regular
    ... and I'm sorry, I can't watch this. I tried. But the whole Escapist debacle (which I was following pretty much real-time) lowered my opinion of BOTH sides involved (and all for the things they said, not for what they said of each other). I wish you guys all the success in the world, but it's gonna be without me watching.

• Options
    RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    the voice weirded me out a bit to start but I think I'm just used to it now

I always thought it was sped up... is that his actual voice?

• Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    Raneados wrote: »

I think I remember a first episode were he talks about his own voice being too boring so he speeds it up to sound more like Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame.

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    So how long do you think it'll be for the old episodes to be put up?

They've said on their twitter feed that hopefully within a week or two this'll happen, the old episodes were encoded differently so they have to be re-rendered.

Also they will be getting an RSS feed, if you're into that.

• Options
    LordFizzlebeefLordFizzlebeef Registered User regular
    I don't mind the voice at all. I've been following the show for a while, and I've actually grown to like it.

• Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    REALLY stoked that you guys are over here. Hope you gain the notoriety you deserve! EC for congress!!

• Options
    theapocalypsetheapocalypse Registered User new member
    Very slow Friday, just saw that you will be showing Extra Credits on PATV. Well that just sucks. So much so that I signed up for your boards to express of crappy they are in their general analysis of anything that has to do with games. Very ham fisted and heavy handed approach to their work, generally ignoring the simplest and most compelling arguments for and against a given subject matter. Often lamenting the treatment of the gaming community and the game developers while ignoring the fact that 90% of what is produced is overpriced and poorly executed. Just one more thing to ignore when I come here looking to be entertained.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote:
    Raneados wrote: »

I think I remember a first episode were he talks about his own voice being too boring so he speeds it up to sound more like Yahtzee of Zero Punctuation fame.

Ah, I wish he wouldn't speed it up. It makes it strike my eyes as unnatural and personally it ends up grating on me after a bit. Which is a shame, because I end up more focusing on the sound of his voice over what he is actually saying. Its my own personal hang-up, of course.

• Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    Very slow Friday, just saw that you will be showing Extra Credits on PATV. Well that just sucks. So much so that I signed up for your boards to express of crappy they are in their general analysis of anything that has to do with games. Very ham fisted and heavy handed approach to their work, generally ignoring the simplest and most compelling arguments for and against a given subject matter. Often lamenting the treatment of the gaming community and the game developers while ignoring the fact that 90% of what is produced is overpriced and poorly executed. Just one more thing to ignore when I come here looking to be entertained.

I really, really didn't like this, and I actually agree with every single point you make objectively, and yet somehow you still come off as super entitled and smug. even to me, Guy Who Agrees With You

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I liked the video. Liked the voice - it fits the style of the video. Keep on truckin.

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    I liked their application of Freytag's chart. It's something you learn like, day one in any creative writing course, but isn't something people generally talk about outside of that sort of thing.

• Options
    FloodOneFloodOne Registered User regular
    So glad you found a new home, and a terrific home at that. I'll be here every Wednesday, just as I was at the Escapist and YouTube (after the *ahem* incident) ready to take in all of your knowledge and insight.

I came to bring the pain... with a Sixaxis...
  • Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    What was this 'incident' with The Escapist, for those of us not in the know?

• Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    An argument over some of the money donated for Alison iirc. I don't know the particulars however.

• Options
    CyopCyop Registered User new member
    edited September 2011

From what i can gather. After about 1 year of working for the escapist the EC crew were only payed for 4 episodes out of roughly 52 episodes. They were OK with there pay being on hold for a little while because the escapist was, and i assume, still is in finical trouble.

SO until the escapist payed them James Portnow(Writer for the show, Game Designer, and Professor at Digipen Institute of Technology) payed Allison Theus(Artist for the show and editor, She also free lances for numerous games studios. [She is currently working at Vigil Games]) out of pocket, because her job is the most time consuming.

So that's how things went until late this summer when Allison encounter major arm problems. Simple put she needed surgery or she would lose mobility in her arm. But her insurance claimed it was a "preexisting condition" and wouldn't cover the cost of surgery.

Seeing how none of the crew had been payed by the escapist for about a year at this point non of them had the extra money to help Allison. As a last effort James turned to the EC community for help he setup a fund raiser on rockethub.com(which was suggest by the escapist after kickstarter.com refused to take up there cause).

He set a goal of 15k in 60 days. Enough money to cover the base cost of surgery and by him time to collect more funds. They also offered prizes for different donation amounts. Including publisher cards donated by the escapist(they also offered EC shirts but the EC crew decided it was cheaper to make the shirts them selves).1.5 hours after setting up the fund they reached there goal. Fast forward two weeks and it was almost 100k.

So with the surgery more then covered and a ton of cash remaining the made a plan of what to do with the remaining funds. After talk with the EC community through Facebook and twitter they decided to turn the remaining cash into an Indi-Fund.

The plan was to fund indigames, then split the profit 50/50. The developers get half and the other half went back in the fund. the EC crew wouldn't receive any money from the profits.

OK now that that's out of the way here's where the sh#t hit the fan.

When James first was looking for ways to raise money he went to the escapist to try to collect their debt. they Didn't have it so he suggested the the escapist returned the EC IP in exchange for some of there debt so they could sell there own merchandise and maybe even write a book. The escapist didn't go for it.

The escapist also didn't expect the fundraiser to go so well either. What they believed the extra funds should have gone toward making more EC episodes. They figured that ,sense the fundraiser started from there suggestion and that EC was there IP at the time, they were entitle to 75% of the money raised for Allison and later on the indifund. The 75% happened to be enough to cover the escapist debt to the EC crew. Also the escapist wanted to be paid back for the publisher member cards(about 9.5k).

This was the breaking point. I assume that sense the EC crew was never paid for their work the terms of their contract were broken so their IP was returned and they left the escapist.

after a few weeks and this twitter message from Robert Khoo:

Yo @ExtraCreditz you know my info. :)

they ending up here.

Will from what I've read on twitter, Facebook, and random forums that"s about what happened.

Oh and Daniel Floyed is the voice co writes and edits Extra Credits(hes also an animator for pixart, and is also known as the re-mixer sephfire on OCRemix.com) hes the only team member i didn't give a description for XD.

Cyop on
  • Options
    TsunamiWombatTsunamiWombat Registered User regular
    ^
    Cyop wrote:

From what i can gather. After about 1 year of working for the escapist the EC crew were only payed for 4 episodes out of roughly 52 episodes. They were OK with there pay being on hold for a little while because the escapist was, and i assume, still is in finical trouble.

SO until the escapist payed them James Portnow(Writer for the show, Game Designer, and Professor at Digipen Institute of Technology) payed Allison Theus(Artist for the show and editor, She also free lances for numerous games studios. [She is currently working at Vigil Games]) out of pocket, because her job is the most time consuming.

So that's how things went until late this summer when Allison encounter major arm problems. Simple put she needed surgery or she would lose mobility in her arm. But her insurance claimed it was a "preexisting condition" and wouldn't cover the cost of surgery.

Seeing how none of the crew had been payed by the escapist for about a year at this point non of them had the extra money to help Allison. As a last effort James turned to the EC community for help he setup a fund raiser on rockethub.com(which was suggest by the escapist after kickstarter.com refused to take up there cause).

He set a goal of 15k in 60 days. Enough money to cover the base cost of surgery and by him time to collect more funds. They also offered prizes for different donation amounts. Including publisher cards donated by the escapist(they also offered EC shirts but the EC crew decided it was cheaper to make the shirts them selves).1.5 hours after setting up the fund they reached there goal. Fast forward two weeks and it was almost 100k.

So with the surgery more then covered and a ton of cash remaining the made a plan of what to do with the remaining funds. After talk with the EC community through Facebook and twitter they decided to turn the remaining cash into an Indi-Fund.

The plan was to fund indigames, then split the profit 50/50. The developers get half and the other half went back in the fund. the EC crew wouldn't receive any money from the profits.

OK now that that's out of the way here's where the sh#t hit the fan.

When James first was looking for ways to raise money he went to the escapist to try to collect their debt. they Didn't have it so he suggested the the escapist returned the EC IP in exchange for some of there debt so they could sell there own merchandise and maybe even write a book. The escapist didn't go for it.

The escapist also didn't expect the fundraiser to go so well either. What they believed the extra funds should have gone toward making more EC episodes. They figured that ,sense the fundraiser started from there suggestion and that EC was there IP at the time, they were entitle to 75% of the money raised for Allison and later on the indifund. The 75% happened to be enough to cover the escapist debt to the EC crew. Also the escapist wanted to be paid back for the publisher member cards(about 9.5k).

This was the breaking point. I assume that sense the EC crew was never paid for their work the terms of their contract were broken so their IP was returned and they left the escapist.

after a few weeks and this twitter message from Robert Khoo:

Yo @ExtraCreditz you know my info. :)

they ending up here.

Will from what I've read on twitter, Facebook, and random forums that"s about what happened.

Oh and Daniel Floyed is the voice co writes and edits Extra Credits(hes also an animator for pixart, and is also known as the re-mixer sephfire on OCRemix.com) hes the only team member i didn't give a description for XD.

This pretty much sums up everything that happened. There was also the matter of the Tshirts offered as prizes. To the extent that the Escapist demanded several thousand back from EC to cover their losses, and said they could keep the rest in leiu of payment.

Eduardo Lawyered up (Facebook movie reference, no one in this situation is actually named Eduardo to the best of my knowledge) and things got dicey, lots of he said she said. As near as I can tell however the contract was found to have been void due to the Escapist failing to pay their wages for a year (current rumor is this is pretty common for alot of the Escapists non-news content contributors, including Yahtzee and Bob) because EC is being hosted elsewhere too soon for it to have gone to actual litigation - Themis Media's legal team must have said 'no contest' and let EC walk with the IP (otherwise they would've been required to contested the move to Youtube and PATV to defend their control of the IP). Dunno what happened to the money though. I assume it's in legal limbo/EC has it.

• Options
    Ghostly ClockworkGhostly Clockwork Registered User regular
    The New (old) eps are up, and if you want to feel really warm and happy about yourself, watch the Child's Play ep. It's great :-D

FTC: honk.
    FTC: HONK.

HLRpxno.png
    PAX Prime 2014 Resistance Tournament Winner
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Rent wrote:

I really, really didn't like this, and I actually agree with every single point you make objectively, and yet somehow you still come off as super entitled and smug. even to me, Guy Who Agrees With You

Just voiced my opinion. I think the guys from Extra Credits suck, I apologize if that offends you, but I was pretty clear on why I don't like their videos. I do however love Penny Arcade and all things Penny Arcade. I think EC detracts from PA, not sure how that makes me seem entitled.

theapocalypse on
  • Options
    timanthtimanth Registered User new member
    edited September 2011

To this I'd say I'd like to see you do better. They're not specifically pandering to anyone, which is what a lot of media end up doing.

I like their ideas, although I doubt the big game companies will get the message.

Regarding the episode:
    Incorrect use of the word Tesselation. I believe you meant Fractal. I am disappoint...somewhat.

Still a great episode. Always love the ideas you bring to the table.

timanth on
  • Options
    timanth wrote:
    To this I'd say I'd like to see you do better. They're not specifically pandering to anyone, which is what a lot of media end up doing.

I like their ideas, although I doubt the big game companies will get the message.

Regarding the episode:
    Incorrect use of the word Tesselation. I believe you meant Fractal. I am disappoint...somewhat.

Still a great episode. Always love the ideas you bring to the table.

They are guilty of the worst type of pandering... They pander to themselves. Generally a bunch of self-congratulatory nonsense. And objective analysis of the video game industry is not rocket science. Quite often they bemoan the business practices of the publishers while completely glossing over the responsibilities of the people actually making the games. Ignoring the simple economic facts of an industry plagued by substandard product. They talk a lot about creativity and the challenges of being original, but often miss the mark in explaining how gamers and developers alike can work to change things. To me it boils down to misuse of their voice, often times in the guise of charity but almost always taking the form of self-righteous, back patting drivel.