As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Of Might and Wing, A MRE Guide: Dragons (dragon questions wanted)

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Rhan9 wrote:
    Melding, requests/suggestions:

-Past, present, and surviving dragon hunting organizations.
    -History of the use of dragons(as weapons of war, mounts, guards etc. especially in highly magical societies, ties in with the orb of dragonkind and other sorceries)
    -The impact of industrial revolution on the balance between man and dragon
    -Dragons as a resource(are they made use of in any way currently?)
    -Example cases, such as a standard hunt of a lesser dragon, a walkthrough with commentary if you will
    -More agent profiles, especially the different types of agents employed by MRE.

You sir, are a very useful person. I like you, stick around.

• Options
    “Sir” Christopher Beckett

Induction date: January 12th 1993
    Height: 188 Cm
    Weight: 92.5kg

Agent Beckett is part of a long stand Knight and squire tradition, having been trained from a young boy in armed combat from his adopted father, and now continues on the same tradition. Noticed while assisting his former knight, he has more then a few missions under his belt before finally given agent status. Prone to to taking on cases larger then he can handle, he has lost more then a couple squires in the past, but it has done little to temper his desire for battle. Able to follow orders of attack, but often ignoring orders of retreat, he manages to be a reliable agent, even able to restrain his desire to vanquish foes when live capture is recommended. As well he has good relations with the fey, his current sword a gift from a water spirit, claiming that its wielder will never meet an end at the hands of the dead. He has since been tasked largely to dealing with matters involving the undead.

Using largely armour, he is hardly what one would expect to see when being told a knight is being sent to their location, but his record of general success is more then enough to impress nonbelievers. His more, humorous side also often leaks over into his work, having been known to blare “fitting” music when finally finishing a foe (example see Case: 4183). As well he does an excellent of teaching his squires, preparing the best any could And for every one he has lost one has made it to full knighthood and has continued to work in some capacity with Beckett again.

Favoured Weapons: Never Yield To Death (magic sword), M14 rifle
    Common backup: M1911
    Common Attire: Reinforced Motorcycle armour
    Other notable accomplishment: Held a dracolich at bay single handed allowing MRE demolish experts to place charges to entrap the creature.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yaaaaaaaaaaaay music

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Melding wrote:
    Bam, i have finished the stuff i wrote before hand, So now i ask you folks, what would you like to see more of:

Dragon types
    Case Files
    Write ups on random agents
    Hunting tactics
    Equipment recommendations
    Drawings of dragons.

Please pick three and let me know.

As well, i would like to see from you people: More Questions, comments and maybe submissions.

Also posts from Best friend @Tam
    From the list:
    More write ups on random agents, either full time MRE or freelancers could be entertaining.
    Case files could be entertaining, could probably fold in Hunting Tactics with them (What could have been done to prevent a case from ending in failure). Could be fun to read more about failed missions/interactions with dragons then to read about successful ones.
    Equipment recommendations and reviews (from freelancers or MRE field agents).

see317 on
  • Options
    alright i should be able to start posting things of worth around Wednesday? today i was in michigan, and tomorrow is a trip to toronto again, and tuesday is another trip home and then sleeping in a ball for a while.

• Options
    SassoriSassori Registered User regular
    Melding you need to check out the Dragon that was drawn for you in the Doodle Thread.

Before I take it.

• Options
    is it the one tam drew? cause i aked him to draw stuff and he was all "yeah sweet sure" and i was all "awesome" he tells tale of drawing D. Melding.

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Melding, can dragons be ridden?

If so, how does one become a rider of dragons?

What equipment is necessary?

etc

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yes, practice, condoms and lube

• Options
    FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    Anti, you appear to have deliberately misconstrued my post to make it sound like I was talking about sexual activity!

:oops:

• Options
    Fyndir wrote:
    Melding, can dragons be ridden?

If so, how does one become a rider of dragons?

What equipment is necessary?

etc

In so much as an rhino can be ridden. Or an elephant. just takes some cooperation from your purposed steed. Easier said then done though.

It is generally discouraged however, it tends to be fatal to try.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Does the choosing of a lair have a good chance of disturbing other species of monsters, to the point of retaliation? In that that vien, how would some of the draconic variatione fare against, say, an entire rookery of enraged harpies?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Does the choosing of a lair have a good chance of disturbing other species of monsters, to the point of retaliation? In that that vien, how would some of the draconic variatione fare against, say, an entire rookery of enraged harpies?

Dragons tend to pick lairs far away from other predatory creatures that might be a threat. Usually just from surveying the area from the sky, until it deems it safe enough to explode closer.

Less intelligent dragons will just pick a spot it likes and if that place already has someone living in it, well then they will just do their best to fight them off and keep it.

As far as harpies go, a solitary harpy isn't any stronger then a human, as well they are not as well armed as humans, lack of arms hampers them, so, depending on the dragon and barring extreme numbers, they woudl stand little chance against anything not a lesser dragon.

• Options
    Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    Clarification: are there any dragons for which the end result of the above example would be markedly uncertain?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Caulk, i am not going to give you information for your underground monster fighting arenas.

• Options
    How else am I supposed to make use of this Titan missile base? And don't say "Deep Fried Deep Crow", because I've already trod down that path. Long story short, employee death and dismemberment payouts vs. profits did not come anywhere close to breaking even.
    Actually, I only just now noticed that you beat my second posting to the punch.

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    regular gladiatorial battle? Maybe summon demons to fight dudes for large cash prizes?

• Options
    Maybe. I don't suppose you'd be able to provide the contact info for competent summoners who deal in currencies that don't include souls, blood of the innocent or, god forbid, the Euro, would you?

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    I had one until the Euro.

He's really good. not quite evil enough to be a risk to others, but pretty damn evil.

Every day i am happy i don't have to face his fate after death.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Fffffffine.

You know this only strengthens my belief that the Euro is the Devil's Own currency, but I shan't let that colour my business relations with the fellow.

Any topics I should avoid bringing up with him?

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    uhh, felix Faust. both the mythological charterer, and the dc villain. He really don't like DC.

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    I see a lot of dragon history from Europe, what with crusading nights running around slaying dragons and what not. And of course Japan and China have their fair share of dragons. The North American Indians have verbal history of thunderbirds which could be dragons, or half dragon hybrid (of course, I'm not MRE, so it could be something else altogether for all I know), South America has the Aztec gods which bear a strong resemblance to dragons of mythology (specifically Quetzlcoatl, though images of other Aztec gods certainly bear some resemblance to half-dragon hybrids) .

It strikes me as odd that I've found so little draconic history from the African continent, when they have apparently populated the rest of the planet. Is there something about Africa that makes it less appealing to Dragons? Or have I just not been searching hard enough?

• Options
    huzzah i am home once more. for like 30 minutes. fucking help9ing people after today, not helping anyone physically anymore!

RE: African dragons, they exist, tend to be rarer and more reclusive due to the number of other things there. same with Australia. places with fewer large predator animals, the better.

• Options
    “Doctor” Dinosaur K. Melding

Induction date: October 5th 2004
    Height: 175cm
    Weight: 77kg

Discovered by MRE when an investigation team was sent to Southern Ontario to discover the cause of a increasing reports of bog zombies. Having already laid out a large part of the ground work for the team when they arrived, she was allowed to keep assisting despite her age. After that she began a solo career of eliminating local threats with minor assistance. After several years of work she was upgraded to full fledged Agent status.

Despite focusing in giants and dragons, Dinosaur was often called on matters of the undead, possessing a strange amount of knowledge for someone claiming to just find them interesting, often being called in as an expert of the field when others were busy. This got her involved in some missions she probably should not have been a part of, and lead to to some injuries and medical experiments current not cleared for public viewing. One of the largest failed missions she was apart of was lead by the at the time Head of Research: Undeath James Carlson, who lead an expedition to capture a demi-lich. This failed spectacularly, leaving all higher ups on the research of undeath slain or inoperable, and left D. Melding managing the research department indefinitely. However, since stability is being restored and D. Melding has filed numerous requests to return to active duty.

Favoured Weapons: A curse to Dragons (magic sword), Titan tumbler (magic hammer) Point this end at things you want to make go away (magic rifle)
    Common backup: Machete
    Common Attire: Business Casual attire
    Other notable accomplishment: Took the challenge of the green knight, received grievous wounds to the posterior. Refuses to comment.

• Options
    Case 7254

Agent on Site: Harold Cursman

Objective: Find source of dragon reports. Resolution at the digression of reporting Agent.

Agent Cursman conducted a thorough investigation, interviewing all eye witness. From their reports managed to triangulate the source of the dragon to a location in the rocky mountains. From evidence left behind a fire breathing dragon was the most likely suspect, and from eye witness accounts a mountain dragon was discounted due to colouration, as well actions during the attack. Moved more like a mountain lion then an intelligent creature. From the devastation laid out a lesser fire dragon was the most likely suspect.

Cursman moved by truck to the suspected location and began to do sweeps of the area. During the 4th hour Cursman came across a cave smelling strongly of burnt and rotting meat.

He marked to location, and returned to his truck to obtain one (1) Semi automatic hunting rifle, one (1) wood splitting axe, Three (3) magazines of ammunition, One (1) Flashlight, and one (1) pair of noise blocking head phones.

Upon entering the cave it was easily identified as as a dragon's, corpses of bears found burned and discarded. Venturing further Cursman found a small open area, the dragon laying presumably asleep after a large meal.

The first shot served to rouse the dragon, the follow-ups leaving small flesh wounds. Avoiding the dragon's charge, he managed to ready his axe, and in a desperate swing, split the bone in the dragon's left wing. As the dragon went to use its flame breath, Cursman hurled his axe at its head, knocking it off course allowing him time enough to reload.

In a regime of dodges and rifle fire, Cursman managed to recover his axe, and the dragon, finally becoming enraged, began to thrash around wildly. In the melee one solid swing cut through the dragon's wind pipe, sending out a misplaced gout of flame giving Agent Cursman first degree burns over his forearm and face.

After a few moments, the dragon stopped moving, the cave was swept clean for any signs of off spring, and the site was called in for clean up.

Recovered:
    1 Lesser fire dragon Corpse.
    Gold pieces totalling worth of 2893CAD
    Uncounted animal carcasses
    Human remains

• Options
    ChimeraChimera Monster girl with a snek tail and five eyes Bad puns, that's how eye roll. Registered User regular
    Melding, Are there rival organizations to MRE or maybe ones with malicious intentions on how to use the creatures that your organization tries to eradicate from this world? How does MRE try to compete or defend the world from such entities and would MRE ever draft the assistance of a dragon or do you simply kill all on sight?

How does MRE find their members and how was the organization first founded? Is MRE strictly comprised of humans? If one were to seek out MRE or try to hire or join MRE what would be the best way of attempting to contact or locate them?

I like some of the others in this tread would love to learn more about MRE and how it came to be and gain the knowledge and status that it has in the world.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    melding

I enjoy the itemized recovery items section

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Chimera wrote:
    Melding, Are there rival organizations to MRE or maybe ones with malicious intentions on how to use the creatures that your organization tries to eradicate from this world? How does MRE try to compete or defend the world from such entities and would MRE ever draft the assistance of a dragon or do you simply kill all on sight?

How does MRE find their members and how was the organization first founded? Is MRE strictly comprised of humans? If one were to seek out MRE or try to hire or join MRE what would be the best way of attempting to contact or locate them?

I like some of the others in this tread would love to learn more about MRE and how it came to be and gain the knowledge and status that it has in the world.

In order asked.

Can not discuss this publicly, but we are aware of some rival factions.

We handle it much like one would a rival competitor or threat depending on the situation.

As already stated Zzarubil the Fantastical has assisted in a major mission, and as well several smaller ones. We are not above accepting help when over our head.

Agents are recruited from free lance hunters we become aware of and are found competent and useful enough to put resources in.

The organization was founded when several heads of still existing knight orders, occultists, wizards, ect met to discuss how they can better work together to quell the rising threat of demons, and since then has branched out into many different fields. we have documents dating back to the dark ages, but the organization has not be around nearly as long.

The MRE is currently all human, though some cases are a bit, questionable in how human they are. mixed blood lines and such are not unheard of. however thus far all agents were born at least 70% human.

The MRE can be contacted easily for information, as well to file reports. we aren't 'hired' as we are not a mercenary group. call your operator for further information to contact the MRE. As of such, we can not give actual locations, due to possible threats of retaliation.

• Options
    While I am doing other things at ze moment, what would you all rather see next: a guide on goblins and goblinoids, or a mishmash of monsters In myth with a monster request thing.

• Options
    Perhaps a partial guide on some of the lesser known monsters of myth and legend, the different ranks of demons and devils, or maybe a Glutton's Guide to Paranormal Eating (which ones taste good with a slice and a searing, and which ones may require a bit more preparation)

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    The MRE does not recommend eating extra demential beings as a general rule.

God knows what their meat will do, noting how the human body reacts to their blood.

• Options
    Gonna eat my way through the whole dang beastiary

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:

It is not just dangerous, it is insane!

• Options
    You will likely die around hydra, and if that doesn't kill you well, that's actually impressive. Those fucks are poisonous like whoa.

• Options
    Vic wrote:
    Melding wrote:

It is not just dangerous, it is insane!

Considering the effects we have witnessed from ingesting demon and fey blood, yeah it's a crazy thing to do.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    I was making a pun on the word demential.

It was not a very good pun.

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    You will likely die around hydra, and if that doesn't kill you well, that's actually impressive. Those fucks are poisonous like whoa.

challenge: accepted

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    extra demential, so creatures brought into being by the deluded imaginings of sufferers of dementia?
    I keed, I keed. I know what your meant, just couldn't help poking fun. :P

jnij103vqi2i.png
  • Options
    Melding wrote:

challenge: accepted

Can I have your stuff when you die? If the hydra don't get you, the unicorn will.

• Options
    Poking is fun, it's true

m6eoUgQ.jpg