As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[BATTLEFIELD 3] Open Beta out now

1888990919294»

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    The lack of inverse mouse keeps throwing me off in the chopper. At least thats what I tell myself after I crash into a tower/building/ground.

It's kinda counterintuitive to have it backwards in a helo since you're pushing your mouse in the direction you want the main rotor to tilt.
    Never took a liking to flying battlefield choppers with a joystick, though jets pretty much require one. Might be time to dig out the flight stick and retrain this old brain of mine.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    CarbonFire wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    The lack of inverse mouse keeps throwing me off in the chopper. At least thats what I tell myself after I crash into a tower/building/ground.

It's kinda counterintuitive to have it backwards in a helo since you're pushing your mouse in the direction you want the main rotor to tilt.
    Yeah, really looking forward to the full game and being able to properly run inverse on the mouse.

Never took a liking to flying battlefield choppers with a joystick, though jets pretty much require one. Might be time to dig out the flight stick and retrain this old brain of mine.
    I don't use a joystick on the helos either. The mouse and keyboard setup is actually quite responsive and good for helo piloting. Fuck flying jets with a mouse right in the ass though. Joystick or bust.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

I keep trying to use the mouse to turn and yawing into trees. Finally had a chance to use a jet when the server emptied out, they seem surprisingly easy to fly. But rather useless at anything other than fighting other jets
    Their cannon hurts vehicles also. Super fast strafe runs ftw.

Right now the jet's guns don't do jack to vehicles. I was in a LAV and got strafed again and again. I think I lost like 5% health each time. I actually started feeling bad for them as their was nothing they could do to me.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh lawd, I think I broke the BF3 thread. I try to quote and it opens an edit window on a completely different post >.<

It's also turning all my posts into psychotic double posts. AAAAAAAACK!

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    It pops out the quotes in a new window when the server load is higher. Though it's odd that it'd be happening this time of day

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    So you think you can knife?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5MnzzvlwA0

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    101101 Registered User regular
    So jealous of you PC guys getting Caspian, it looks great.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    How does the game choose where you spawn?

Whenever a match starts, it always spawns me in the exact same spot. Different servers, I wait before pressing deploy, etc, always the same spot. I can never get the AA.

• Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    I always (well 99% of the time) load the map first which means I can spawn straight into the Jets.

• Options
    LittleBootsLittleBoots Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

I keep trying to use the mouse to turn and yawing into trees. Finally had a chance to use a jet when the server emptied out, they seem surprisingly easy to fly. But rather useless at anything other than fighting other jets

Yea, that's not what the mouse is for. The mouse controls the helo's movement in a strict forward/backward/strafe left/strafe right sense. You can turn using the main rotor in BF3, but honestly you'll never be going fast enough where that sort of maneuver is viable or even needed. Just use the tail rotor (A and D keys) to do actual turns.

Get the Arma 2 Demo and load the attack chopper basic training. It'll teach you everything you need to know.

EDIT: Somehow I accidently did this as a new post instead of an edit. Whoopsy.

See, I own ARMA 2 and can fly the choppers in it with the mouse fairly well (I can make it from point A to point B) but I just can't wrap my head around the BF3 controls. I think my longest flight so far was backwards... into a tree.

LittleBoots on

Tofu wrote: Here be Littleboots, destroyer of threads and master of drunkposting.
  • Options
    BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    So far, while I've been playing tonight it seems like all the best action outside of air combat gravitates towards B. In my opinion anyway. Every game I play I just spend my time up on B defending. Been vip about 4 times in a row now because of it. Good stuff.

• Options
    LindLind Registered User regular
    AT-Mines, making engineers smug since Caspian Border unlocked :)
    Damn I love them.

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I've found that support is basically my favorite thing ever on Caspian. With a foregrip equipped PF Chang, I can assault the shit out of points, and the terrain/building layout makes ninja C4ing tanks hilariously easy.
    TOGSolid wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    TOGSolid wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Yea, that's not what the mouse is for. The mouse controls the helo's movement in a strict forward/backward/strafe left/strafe right sense. You can turn using the main rotor in BF3, but honestly you'll never be going fast enough where that sort of maneuver is viable or even needed. Just use the tail rotor (A and D keys) to do actual turns.

Get the Arma 2 Demo and load the attack chopper basic training. It'll teach you everything you need to know.

EDIT: Somehow I accidently did this as a new post instead of an edit. Whoopsy.

See, I own ARMA 2 and can fly the choppers in it with the mouse fairly well (I can make it from point A to point B) but I just can't wrap my head around the BF3 controls. I think my longest flight so far was backwards... into a tree.

The BF3 choppers are a bit more sluggish so it's easier to overcompensate on them compared to BF2/Arma 2. That may be what's screwing you up.

Anytime you wonder why you're teammates are retarded, just go read the BF3 forums. Those are the people you're playing with.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    BF3 choppers handle really weirdly for me.

I can do all kinds of fancy shit just piloting with keys in Arma (not even with a joystick). I have trouble even flying in a straight line in BF3... it's just feels so counter intuitive.

Also: I shot a heli with my IGLA last night... pilot landed, fixed the heli and took off again in the time it took to reload my IGLA. So I shot him again... same... and again... same. Except now I'm out of fucking rockets and have an angry Viper hunting for me. Not impressed.

Also also: Jets reload flares quicker than I can reload my damn rocket. And they have infinite flares! Again, not impressed. AA needs to be a credible threat to decent pilots, not just the idiots who will crash anyway.

Edit: Is there any way to replenish your launcher ammo without dying? I've been searching everywhere, but documentation on important stuff like this seems to be piss fucking poor.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    GutterkisserGutterkisser Registered User regular
    Is there any way to look around your cockpit other than with the mouse (i.e right click + panning)? I can only stay in the air using arrow keys to control, so it's not a great option.

If I'm gaining height back after a low run I'll take a quick look over the battlefield with the mouse, and just use rudder to start angling slowly towards the next target.

Just had a round where enemy squads kept parachuting in between the forest and the gas station, where I was waiting in the foliage with my trusty M249. Sceptics of Support's value in Caspian are sorely mistaken, btw...

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    lu tze wrote:
    Edit: Is there any way to replenish your launcher ammo without dying? I've been searching everywhere, but documentation on important stuff like this seems to be piss fucking poor.

Supports can throw ammo packs and you can get ammo from those.

Does the game auto recognize 360 controllers or will I have to do some freaky binds to get it to work? Id try it, but as Im using a PS3 controller and MotionJoy to make my computer think its a 360 controller I cant at the moment (since I dont have MotionJoy installed. Also, Im going to sleep.).

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    D-D-D-Double Post!

emp123 on
  • Options
    Foolish ChaosFoolish Chaos Registered User regular
    It auto recognizes.

• Options
    I just got the Anti-Vehicle Badge.

I've been playing support all evening.

Looooooooooooooooooooool C4.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Man I just can not play decently as support. What's the trick? They seem way to stationary for my taste.

• Options
    Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    So far, while I've been playing tonight it seems like all the best action outside of air combat gravitates towards B. In my opinion anyway. Every game I play I just spend my time up on B defending. Been vip about 4 times in a row now because of it. Good stuff.

Being the high point with good access to all the points helps. It is also a great stop for AA.

• Options
    Suriko wrote:
    How much C4 does it take to pop a tank?

I always slap on two to be sure. The slight delay between charge detonation and the resulting tank explosion sounds goddamn awesome.

• Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, just noticed this, I thought they only supplied small arms ammo.

Now if only more people played support, I might have to give it a go.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    Cobalt60Cobalt60 regular Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote:
    emp123 wrote:
    Yeah, just noticed this, I thought they only supplied small arms ammo.

Now if only more people played support, I might have to give it a go.

They'll fill up your primary ammo first, then secondary and so forth with grenades last.

• Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    Anyone else have the massively annoying issue where keybinds for getting out of vehicles don't work? I ride my jeeps into oblivion.

Also, it was actually quite fun having no little blue triangles yesterday because I paid way more attention to the character models, which I think will be handy in the long run.

• Options
    TwistedJesterTwistedJester Registered User regular
    Suriko wrote:
    How much C4 does it take to pop a tank?
    In my experience it seems like it's two to disable, three to destroy.

• Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    TODAY IS THE LAST DAY.

Facebook-
    Battlefield
    Welcome to the final 24 hours of the BF3 Open Beta! Thanks to everyone for your feedback to date, get your last rounds in before we close the beta on Oct 10th at 12:00pm (noon, CET). And don't forget to check our latest feedback FAQ post: http://bit.ly/nf9FSD

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I salute all of you brave men and women who stood side by side with me as we braved the trials and perils of this beta. We have sniped, suppressed, flanked, bombarded, repaired, armed, captured, defended and attacked together. It was an honor to rush and conquest with you.
    To all of you, I gave and owe so much. Our lives, our scores, our ribbons, our awards, our ranks and our unlocks shall forever be remembered.

See you on the 27th, my brothers and sisters in arms.

350662-big_boss_salute_super.jpg

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    And so, I killed the thread.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    You speak as if things are winding up... my eyes are on the verge of bleeding but my evening is just getting started.

• Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    new thread is up so post in that instead of in here

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/149746/battlefield-3-be-advised

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    I'm sorry guys, don't want to stray but can you help me find the BFBC2 thread? if one exists. I am tired of going through bf3 search results that mention bc2 ^o^

• Options
  • Options
    bobsbarricadesbobsbarricades Registered User regular
    o, well! Any BC2 players with the "disconnect" message when trying to connect to servers. Tons of people over at SPUF are having problems as well as on the EA forums. Trying to track down REAL solutions but no luck so far.

• Options
    TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Psst, the current BF3 thread is over here. Probably unwise to post in old threads like this.

6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj