As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Trenches comic: Tuesday Nov. 15, 2011 - Friction

2»

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    I am obviously in the extreme minority, but i thought the 4th panel w/ the text was the best part :( don't like it nearly as much without it

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    So back in around 2003 we found a bug that occurred only if you took no deductions but were in the top tax bracket. Basically it was an off by one error that increased the amount of tax owed by a factor of 10. The funny thing was the developers looked it up in the codebase and it had existed for the previous two releases! It just turned out no one who bought the software happened to fall into that specific category, so everyone was told to keep it quiet. One of my co-workers thought that was dumb and posted about it on our help forums, posing as a user who had legitimately stumbled into the problem. Turns out it wasn't a good idea to do that from a work computer, so day after that post when they walked into work in the morning they were met by security and told to clean out their desk.

• Options
    IvarIvar Oslo, NorwayRegistered User regular
    Opty wrote:
    So back in around 2003 we found a bug that occurred only if you took no deductions but were in the top tax bracket. Basically it was an off by one error that increased the amount of tax owed by a factor of 10. The funny thing was the developers looked it up in the codebase and it had existed for the previous two releases! It just turned out no one who bought the software happened to fall into that specific category, so everyone was told to keep it quiet. One of my co-workers thought that was dumb and posted about it on our help forums, posing as a user who had legitimately stumbled into the problem. Turns out it wasn't a good idea to do that from a work computer, so day after that post when they walked into work in the morning they were met by security and told to clean out their desk.

Now tell it like Mark Twain

• Options
    HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    Ivar wrote:
    Now tell it like Mark Twain

So I surfed on over to our own help forums, and set down and wrote:
    Turbo Tax, your tax program is all messed up when calculating the top bracket without deductions. Mr. Phelps did his taxes and got the wrong result, and he'll give you a reward if you fix the calculations.
    Finn

I felt good and all washed clean of sin for the first time I had ever felt so in my life, and I knowed I could pray now. But I didn't do it straight off, but set my mouse down and set there thinking -- thinking how good it was all this happened so, and how near I come to being lost and going to hell. And went on thinking. And got to thinking over all our days in QA; and I see my coworkers before me, all the time; in the day, and in the night-time, sometimes moonlight, sometimes storms, and we a testing along, talking, and drinking Red Bull, and laughing. But somehow I couldn't seem to strike no places to harden me against them, but only the other kind. I'd see them taking my shifts on top of his'n, stead of calling me, so I could go on sleeping; and see how glad they were when I come back from the vending machines; and said I was the best friend they'd ever had in the world, and the only one they've got now; and then I happened to look around, and see that forum message.

It was a close place. I moved my mouse over the Post a Reply button, and held it in my hand. I was a trembling, because I'd got to decide, forever, betwixt two things, and I knowed it. I studied a minute, sort of holding my breath, and then says to myself:

"Screw those bastards." -- and clicked.