Options

The highly classy [Tea and Cake] thread

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    I shall ask my mother! There're a lot online, and I wouldn't know which ones are good. :)

• Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Somedays it would really be nice to know a decently classy lady who could sit at my table, eating tea and cupcakes with me.
    Like an accessory. Only she talks and laughs at delightfully at my stories.
    Then I put her in a box until I need her again.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    YukiraYukira Registered User regular
    @Janson, if you get the recipe to the point you really like it, send it to Sier, I bet she'd like to bake one.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    Does tiffin have fruit (raisins) in it? Cause it looks tasty but I hate raisins.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    raisins rock dude, I am sorry for your face

• Options
    @Yukira I shall do!

@The Dave Fella, yes, it does. However, I bet you could take them out. Or substitute with glacier cherries or marshmallows.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Raisins are concentrated evil!

• Options
    I got some particularly plump and juicy raisins.

But then I managed to burn some so, I fail.

• Options
    AaronKIAaronKI Registered User regular
    Syphyre wrote:
    I've had baked goods shipped through the mail before. One of my favorite treats is coffee cake. When I was in college, my mom baked a coffee cake. She cut it up in large neat squares, placed cardboard and wax paper between the stacked layers, and shipped it off to me. The entire cake.

It was worth it.

Hrm just did a google search for coffee cake. Can't find it exactly. This picture is somewhat close, but without the apples and nuts in it. It's a recipe from my great-grandmother, so it's likely a german folk recipe. Delicious anyways.

Coffee cake is the best kind of cake! And I usually don't like cake.

soempty.jpg
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    marshmallows sound amazing instead

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote:
    Somedays it would really be nice to know a decently classy lady who could sit at my table, eating tea and cupcakes with me.
    Like an accessory. Only she talks and laughs at delightfully at my stories.
    Then I put her in a box until I need her again.

Give it a year or two and Japan will have those ready.

@Janson - that tiffin looks lovely, mmm!

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    oh boo i have to run tea time today because my coworker is out

it was her idea and i helped her but she did most of it

poo
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Blake T wrote: »
    I would wake up at my friend's house and ask my self, what would I do with a construction sign, the answer is, hide it under their couch.

They were discovered when they moved.

My sister Melanie has an old caravan stuffed full of her old artings - paintings, drawings, screen prints, sculptures and what not.

Also, about two dozen street signs. We got bored one school holiday night... Speed signs, traffic control signs, warning signs, we've got at least one of pretty much everything.

• Options
    Thanks @Liiya! I brought it into work and my coworkers are demolishing it while simultaneously cursing my name (because they've been trying to eat healthier)

• Options
    Yukira wrote:
    @Janson, if you get the recipe to the point you really like it, send it to Sier, I bet she'd like to bake one.

@Yukira

You know what, this is actually pretty tasty, so I'll post the recommendations I used with my alterations:

http://www.rampantscotland.com/recipes/blrecipe_tiffin.htm

That's the recipe, and these are my notes:

1. Put in 2 American tablespoons of syrup and sugar. If you can't find golden syrup (I believe it's also at Cost Plus World Market) you could probably substitute molasses, although these are darker and will give it a slightly less sweet flavour.

2. Use 7 oz of digestive biscuits (if you have a Cost Plus World Market, these are found there; otherwise graham crackers are your nearest thing).

3. Don't add the raisins until after you've boiled the mixture. Add them with the digestives.

4. A pack of instant hot chocolate is fine for drinking chocolate!

5. Double the amount of chocolate! Well, probably around 10 oz. You certainly need more than 6 oz.

6. As this is not being baked, a thin swiss roll tin is certainly not essential. Mine was fine in a 9 inch round cake tin.

• Options
    Janson wrote:

1. Put in 2 American tablespoons of syrup and sugar.

As opposed to British? :rotate:

We do have a World Market, which should be the same thing.

• Options
    Yup! Should be! :D

And according to that site, tablespoons are different sizes in the UK and US!

• Options
    I'm teasing.

• Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    neville wrote:
    tugga wrote:
    My new york strip was $70 and worth every penny

the place sarukun and I went to a few months ago was ~$250/person
    so delicious though.

also i have a scratchy throat and am drinking black tea + honey now
    i hope i feeel betteeerrrrr

ill fix that throat for you

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    You tease!

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:

Yes, yes they are, and it is immensely frustrating.

Some people say "oh it's okay because the proportions will still be the same" but OH WHOOPS WHAT ABOUT THE EGGS, HUH?

WHAT ABOUT THEM?

It would just be easier if things were listed by weight instead of volume. So much easier.

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    I agree! Now that I have a kitchen scale I am consistently irritated by recipes not using weight measurements.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Janson wrote:

Some people say "oh it's okay because the proportions will still be the same" but OH WHOOPS WHAT ABOUT THE EGGS, HUH?

WHAT ABOUT THEM?

It would just be easier if things were listed by weight instead of volume. So much easier.

But if you had a recipe that called for sixty five grams worth of egg and your egg weight fifty eight grams, would you actually crack another egg.

Recipes are usually robust enough to take the change.

• Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I mean how large is a large onion?

• Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Blake T wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote:
    Janson wrote:

WHAT ABOUT THEM?

But if you had a recipe that called for sixty five grams worth of egg and your egg weight fifty eight grams, would you actually crack another egg.

Recipes are usually robust enough to take the change.

Well not in the case of an egg. When a recipe says a "large egg" it is asking for an egg that has been classified as that specific size, which means it has x amount of white to y amount of yolk.

And I'm mainly talking about baking. With other methods of cooking you have HEAPS of wiggle room.

• Options
    But the amount of flour you need for stuff can change depending on the humidity of the kitchen, which the results in looking at it and playing the, until it looks good game.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I mean how large is a large onion?

About what you would expect an orange to be.

Medium is apple, small is peach.

• Options
    I've seen peaches that are larger than apples though!

I mean I know what they are, people get pretty hung up on measurements though.

• Options
    Additionally, even though digital scales are all the rage, very few actually state their range of accuracy with can be plus or minus a few percent regardless. So even if you are measuring to the gram, unless you are using a set of counter balance scales you still aren't being that accurate.

• Options
    NO STOP LET ME EMBRACE MY OCD

• Options
    Unless you spend heaps on those cocaine scales that do measure accurately down to a tenth of a gram or some shit.

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote: »

Oh, hey. I always set the volume on any product that has numbers on it's sound output levels at even numbers.

Even worse, Amy's car stereo has a little logo on the volume knob. If that knob is not vertical, it bugs the shit out of me... Good thing the car has steering wheel stereo controls...

• Options
    Man, you have shit that measures down six figs, unless it states what the variance for error is you could be very well out by ten percent.

I mean, I like scales, and for flour they are a better measurement than cups, and they are also more convenient as you hit tare and keep on going, but they don't consider a bunch of stuff and your measurement is never actually going to be accurate.

• Options

Oh, hey. I always set the volume on any product that has numbers on it's sound output levels at even numbers.

Even worse, Amy's car stereo has a little logo on the volume knob. If that knob is not vertical, it bugs the shit out of me... Good thing the car has steering wheel stereo controls...

I DO THIS TOO

anything with numbers... a/c temperatures, TV volume control

always multiples of 4 or a number ending in 5 or 0

ALWAYS

otherwise it drives me nuts

• Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Vivixenne wrote:

I DO THIS TOO

ALWAYS

This is me as well

Some numbers are better than others too

65 is better than 60, for example

85 is also a nice number

• Options

I DO THIS TOO

ALWAYS

Ha ha yeah, the aircon too! 19 degrees? Fuck that, go to 20.

• Options
    Vivixenne wrote:

I DO THIS TOO

ALWAYS

Yes!

• Options
    Furthermore, scales based upon electric resistance, which digital scales function from are still based of gravity, which is a function of d^2 between the masses which means different elavations have differing weights further messing up your measurements.

Moral of the story. Nothing is ever accurate. Cook from your heart!

• Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular
    you guys got some issues and I think you should see someone about them.

do you SEE what TEA does to THEE

• Options
    Whelp

the tiffin is all gone

mostly in my mouth (but a good 2/3rds went to coworkers' mouths)

I didn't even have tea with it!