As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Your IQ

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The test really isn't testing your intelligence, it's testing how well you would do in school compared to the average person.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Paul_IQ164 wrote: »
    Also, my username annoys me and I wish I could change it but apparently I can't.

If you ask Tube or Ramius, they could probably change it for you. It does instill me with a deep desire to punch you in the face and steal your lunch money.

I want mine changed too. Stupid numbers. I don't even see the original "MikeMan" post ever anywhere, but his account is still clogging up the PA boards. Time to buy tube a nice dinner...

Anyway, not to derail the thread.

Everyone should read "The Mismeasure of Man."

Sorry if that's been mentioned already.

IQ is stupid to put stock into.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    KoekjesKoekjes Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    That was sort of fun. I got a 129.

Here is another one that was a bit more interesting.

http://www.highiqsociety.org/iq_tests/

Koekjes on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't put any stock in IQ tests at all, particularly not crappy internet ones, but that test gives me 142. That's probably a little high. I think I got all the questions right, anyway.
    IQ tests only measure a very specific band of ability. I've met the most obnoxiously stupid people who brag about their high IQ. The only thing worse than IQ for measuring the intelligence of a person is (shudder) "EQ".

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    Koekjes wrote: »

I was doing well until my boss came in and I had to close it down. :(

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I wanted to echo what Wonder_Hippie said on page 1 about the WAIS. If you really want your intelligence measured in a meaningful way, the WAIS is probably the best widely-available instrument right now.

What bugs me about the Tickle test is that I always flub "which one of these things is not like the other" questions, because the characteristic I find most important is not necessarily the characteristic the test creator finds most important. In a choice selection of three herbivorous mammals, one carnivorous mammal, and one omnivorous bird, I'm going to pick the bird, because birds branch off from mammals higher up in the taxonomy than carnivores do from herbivores, but almost always the right answer is "tiger" or whatever the carnivore was, because the test creator was an idiot.

I also dislike obfuscated numerical patterns with multiple answers. You find a mathematical rule that will explain almost any four-number sequence, as long as it is arbitrarily complex.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Endomatic wrote: »
    I took a WAIS tests awhile ago and got a 132. So I guess I'm pretty smart.

Heh, I score a 210 on them now. I got a psych work up not too long ago, after I had started giving these tests. It was something for my health insurance, and I hadn't told them exactly what I did at work. The test administrator was absolutely astounded.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    drinkinstoutdrinkinstout Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got a 136 too! :)

drinkinstout on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Oh man, I didn't figure out a single one in the first category. Wow. Just couldn't see a pattern at all.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Heh, I score a 210 on them now. I got a psych work up not too long ago, after I had started giving these tests. It was something for my health insurance, and I hadn't told them exactly what I did at work. The test administrator was absolutely astounded.

Ha ha ha ha.
    That's awesome.
    Do you break MMPIs for fun, too?

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    my iq is...

over 9000!

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited July 2007
    Oh, on the subject of musical intelligence...

Back in school we had a sound lab class. One thing we did was to listen to various pieces of music and some white noise, and then the teacher changed a frequency, and we were supposed to guess which one.

I always got everything right.

Though that's not really about music at all. :P

Echo on
  • Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    144. Booyah. I think that means I'm both square and gross.

That's what I got too...

forbis316 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote: »

Ha ha ha ha.
    That's awesome.
    Do you break MMPIs for fun, too?

The MMPI's that big ass personality one, right? I've never actually taken one myself, just broken them down in your standard abnormal psych classes and such. Damned things are so fucking convoluted and complicated it's disgusting.

The worst part is that, when administered, there's no specific order to the questions that absolutely has to be followed. There's a standardized distribution, but there are multiple methods for randomly distributing the individual items, so unless you've memorized which questions are the under- and over-report items, and which items are used to pick up random answering, it's damned near impossible to really fuck one up.

Useful scales though. Have fun giving them to somebody below 12.

Edit: Forgot to say that I did tell my test administer what my job was. Then she was mad at me because of the amount of work I was making her do after the testing session. Scoring and deciphering a high scoring test is laborious and annoying.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    I've always scored really, really high on musical intelligence, but I can't sing worth a damn, can't play an instrument, and I have a kindergartener's understanding of musical theory.

I hope to remedy each of those through the next couple of years.

Edit: Hippie, the MMPI is a personality test, yeah, but it's also supposed to show a tendency towards certain psychiatric disorders, like schizophrenia or depression. It's occasionally (and inappropriately, I might add) used by job interviewers to make sure they're hiring sane people. And yeah it's horrendously convoluted.

Feral on

• Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote:
    It's occasionally (and inappropriately, I might add) used by job interviewers to make sure they're hiring sane people.

That's retarded. Personality scales are largely based on trait theory, and trait theory is largely retarded.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Feral wrote:
    It's occasionally (and inappropriately, I might add) used by job interviewers to make sure they're hiring sane people.

That's retarded.

Yeah, it really is.

Feral on

• Options
    forbis316forbis316 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Oh man, I didn't figure out a single one in the first category. Wow. Just couldn't see a pattern at all.

That test was fun. Though I really sucked at the memorization of the color tile layouts.

forbis316 on
  • Options
    ShintoShinto __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't realize why anyone would really want to take a test to measure their intelligence. You are pretty much yourself 24/7. It would seem you have plenty of time and input to gauge your intellectual abilities.

Shinto on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Shinto wrote: »
    I don't realize why anyone would really want to take a test to measure their intelligence. You are pretty much yourself 24/7. It would seem you have plenty of time and input to gauge your intellectual abilities.

People really don't self monitor that much. You'd be surprised how many Peggy Hills there are in this world.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    Katchem_ashKatchem_ash __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    I got a 120 and it told me I am:
    You are gifted with the natural fluency of a writer and the visual and spatial strengths of an artist. Those skills contribute to your creative and expressive mind. Insightful linguists can take complex concepts and articulate them to just about anyone. You have a gift with words and an insight into processes and the way people think.

These talents enable you to explain things clearly to people as you can conceptualise ideas internally and understand patterns on an abstract level.

I think thats a little bit true. The word ones were easy as were the shapes, but the math ones were a little hard.

Katchem_ash on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Math ones broke me. Got 132 but totally failed on them.

Word ones and logic ones are easy for me, but anything with numbers just goes over my head.

Kinda makes me depressed.

Also, these tests are timed arent they? The longer you take the lower your score, also your age is taken into account a lot too.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'm not sure having knowledge of facts should really determine intelligence or not. 'Course, that's because I'm not very well versed in 100+ year old wars.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    High IQ Society eh? Didn't realise Mensa had competitors. War of the nerds :P

Online tests are bullshit but fun. Gimme a minute here...

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The first things I filled out were '22 years old' and 'boy'. Then I stopped caring what my answers were and clicked with reckless abandon.

I scored a 95. Just below average. Clearly, a person of average intelligence is little better than random chance. "Huh. I need to plug this hairdryer in. Where does the plug go? Quick, the first object I see! ...The dog? No, that's silly. But what's that behind the dog? A FAUCET! SCORE!"

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    hah, the IQ society's one won't load. Not so smart now are you! 133 on the tickle one. I got high 160's way back in Grade 5, but I don't think juvenile results are very relevant, and there's been a lot of beer under the bridge since then :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    BokiBoki __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Your IQ :

Means shit.

Atleast, it's no more meaningful than numbers such as age, weight, height, but just as volatile and variable.

Boki on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    forbis316 wrote: »
    GoodOmens wrote: »
    144. Booyah. I think that means I'm both square and gross.

That's what I got too...

Way to bring me down, Captain Bringdown of the Buzzkiller Brigade.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Boki wrote: »
    Your IQ :

Means shit.

Atleast, it's no more meaningful than numbers such as age, weight, height, but just as volatile and variable.

Most people I know who bitch about how unreliable IQ tests are have taken maybe one proper Wechsler test and then spent the rest of their lives trying to prove it wrong with the internet and dumb conversations. Meanwhile, the test keeps on doing what it does just fine. It's a predictor of future achievement, just like weight is a predictor of future deliciouness.

Even in job performance, where IQ isn't taken particularly seriously, it's been found by some pretty thorough poking around of the literature (booo meta analysis) that IQ is more useful than any kind of aptitude testing, interviewing or work tryouts.

In short: IQ tests are nifty, don't bother staying in school kids.

Low Key on
  • Options
    EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

People like to see where they stand, even if they know it's not truly accurate. I think most people realize that they're just for fun. Anyone who scores over 100 at least :P

Endomatic on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    Most people I know who bitch about how unreliable IQ tests are have taken maybe one proper Wechsler test and then spent the rest of their lives trying to prove it wrong with the internet and dumb conversations. Meanwhile, the test keeps on doing what it does just fine. It's a predictor of future achievement, just like weight is a predictor of future deliciouness.

Thank you. IQ tests have come a long, long way since Piaget. They are valid and consistent nowadays. There are some problems with them, but that's why we've got revisions, right? Just like software, they're constantly being judged, tweaked, and reissued. Wizards of the Coast just wishes they could pump out as many expensive books and suitcases full of toys as the Weschler folks do.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited July 2007
    The Cat wrote: »
    hah, the IQ society's one won't load. Not so smart now are you! 133 on the tickle one. I got high 160's way back in Grade 5, but I don't think juvenile results are very relevant, and there's been a lot of beer under the bridge since then :P

Ha! 135.

#2 mod. #2!

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    Low KeyLow Key Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Elkamil wrote: »
    The Cat wrote: »

Ha! 135.

#2 mod. #2!

Did it call you a Visionary Philosopher too? Did you pay them thirty bucks so they could suckle on your nuts a little a longer with stories about what a special boy you are?

Low Key on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Low Key wrote: »
    Did it call you a Visionary Philosopher too? Did you pay them thirty bucks so they could suckle on your nuts a little a longer with stories about what a special boy you are?

I don't know why they threw that in, eh. I thought those labels were generated from personality tests, not IQ test data. I guess its just bullshit alert #67 :P

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • Options
    Charlie_Foxtrot2Charlie_Foxtrot2 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »
    I talked to a guy who went to a Mensa meeting once.

He said that they were probably smart as hell, but god damn were they utterly socially inept.

Being a member for 5 years, and after atteneding several regional gatherings, one annual gathering, and numerous other small get togethers with them, I can say that the majority of Mensans have social skills on par with the rest of society.

However, there is also a disproportionally (when compared with society as a whole) large number of stuck up assholes who think they're the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm talking dickweeds that rattle off their IQ score as part of their introduction to someone, and they fully expect said new person to be greatly impressed and even awed by their raw quotient size.

Man, if someone did that to me I'd headbutt them, then say "what is it now?"

:^:

It's basically reassuring yourself that you're not a complete and utter tard.

Charlie_Foxtrot2 on
    logo%20graf%201.jpg
  • Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Oh man, according to the high IQ society I am one point off having above average intelligence

...maybe if I eat some tuna...

bsjezz on
    sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got 133 IQ from an official test when i was 10.

I think it has gone down.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I've done a supposedly official IQ test in an un-official way, and got 143. I find in my later years in seems to be inversely proportional to how much I give a shit (ie: I don't).

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • Options
    PicardathonPicardathon Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I got 135 on tickle, 137 on high IQ society, which qualifies me to join their stupid club.
    I think that this proves both tests to be Bullshit, I'm the dumbest person on these forums.

Picardathon on
  • Options
    naporeonnaporeon Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Has anyone else taken the Stanford Binet (specifically, the fifth edition)?

naporeon on