Options

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, [chat]

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    surprise surprise sometimes people like other people without being attracted to them

One of them I actually asked out, she said no. We moved on and still hang out because she is a cool person and all that.

Adults, have friends who they have even asked out and were shot down and are still friends!

Most of the shit like that XKCD seems to come from teenagers

you know that XKCD isn't showing that as a good thing, right?

I know. I am just making an observation here on the age group I have noticed it more in.

most people learn social skills when they become adults

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    Deebaser wrote: »
    Ludious wrote: »
    First Origin and now taking out a pretty fucking major squad mate and selling it as launch day DLC? Fucking A EA. You NEVER want me to play ME3

What? Who?

Either you buy the CE or pay $10 for access to a squadmate

A lot of people would consider this a spoiler
    it's a living prothean

That's unfortunate. I was going to Day 1 Purchase this, but now I'll probably wait a year like when I piceked up ME 2 for $19.99

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    Abdhyius wrote:
    surprise surprise sometimes people like other people without being attracted to them

One of them I actually asked out, she said no. We moved on and still hang out because she is a cool person and all that.

Adults, have friends who they have even asked out and were shot down and are still friends!

Most of the shit like that XKCD seems to come from teenagers

you know that XKCD isn't showing that as a good thing, right?

I know. I am just making an observation here on the age group I have noticed it more in.

most people learn social skills when they become adults

Yup most people do. But we are on the internet. It isn't made up of most people.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    ronya wrote:
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    ronya wrote:
    ronya wrote:
    God you know what terrifies me

The idea that the American 'pro-life' groups win and then take on Canada

beware infiltration of your civil service, then

it's a real, albeit low-probability (I think), risk. Certainly more plausible than an overt attempt to mobilize pro-life movements at a popular level in a socially liberal country

Eh, the pro-life groups here been working to set up networks in the UK for the last decade and change. Same with Australia. With more success in Australia apparently.

It's one thing to set up overseas interest groups that lobby overtly for pro-life causes; it's another thing to set up non-obviously-pro-life groups that can establish credibility in a society where being pro-choice is taken for granted. Think filling the slots of Susan G. Kamen foundations with people whose primary lobbying activity might be toward other causes but who might also be pro-life. And then a Conservative government achieves power for unrelated reasons, has a ready pool of 'neutral'-ish people to appoint to key offices in the civil service (again, for non-conspiratorial reasons like burnishing "I've never voted Conservative before" credentials) - and then suddenly the establishment's conventional wisdom of a topic taken for granted shifts under your feet. It doesn't take a conspiracy, it's just the results of a random process when there is no pressure for a "are you pro-choice?" filter for abortion-relevant offices because it's no longer an issue.

It could happen via random chance but the odds of getting enough zealous people into those positions without someone fanning the flames of zealotry seems incredibly improbable. People have to care about the issue to trigger significant change, and anything less then significant change will simply be erased next time there is a power shift.

There's always a United States of America that dominates international media and will always be fanning the flames of zealotry. It's just that people will watch those zealots speak up, face social censure, and fade away, right up to the point the Very Serious People who were enforcing social censorship have a change of heart you didn't know they were harboring for a while.

Most people in liberal democracies do not live in hyper-democratic systems where every issue can be democratically reinforced easily through sudden populist action; who gets to be part of the establishment matters, for good or for ill.

This may be a situation where I'm not in a position to see, but I didn't realize our media was pushing a pro-life line? At least with enough force to be an inspiration to others. I can see the argument for gradual societal shift but this is an issue where there is likely to be active opposition. You'd need a decent sized critical mass, or a selection of people in key positions for this to matter. Someone being Minister of Defense and being pro-life doesn't really put them in a position to accomplish a lot. And you need that critical mass to come together at the right time. It would be somewhat difficult to do as a conspiracy but it seems absurdly improbable to happen at random.

Which leaves the option of a slow gradual change but I'm thinking that it would be decades. Even discounting populist action, I am assuming that there will be bureaucratic shifts of the course of decades.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Well, [chat], my apartment is clean.

Time to make myself clean and then go hunting and gathering.

Also, this whole draft thing is dumb. It makes me feel obligated to post because I started typing something, then thought better of it, but now a draft is saved and I don't want it to be so I post something inane like the above even though I know nobody cares and I'm not going to be sticking around long enough to join in any meaningful conversation but my hate of saved drafts is greater than my concern over how I look when I post something without any substance.

Why not delete the drafts

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2012
    zeeny wrote: »
    Winky wrote:
    Arriety...good idea for a date movie if she enjoyed spirited away?

Don't watch movies on dates.
    on early dates any way. perfectly fine once things are on more stable ground.

Also, I second Mazzyx's museum/art suggestion. Do some research to see if there are any quirky museums in your area.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    first date, you push her off a cliff, catch her hand, and propose as her grip slowly weakens

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Winky, you're in Chicago, right?

I am in Chicago. I suggested the Shedd but she had been recently.

Alright, I assume she's a nerdy girl?

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote:
    Winky, you're in Chicago, right?

I am in Chicago. I suggested the Shedd but she had been recently.

Science nerdy, not video game nerdy.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Winky wrote:

Also, I second Mazzyx's museum/art suggestion. Do some research to see if there are any quirky museums in your area.

The Museum of Science and Industry has an exhibit that uses miniature golf to explore the roles African Americans are playing in alternative energy.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Winky wrote:

The Museum of Science and Industry has an exhibit that uses miniature golf to explore the roles African Americans are playing in alternative energy.

It's also crazy expensive.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote:
    Winky wrote:

He is in Chicago. Place has shit tons of things to do. More than poor ol' Denver does. Yet it is still pretty awesome stuff that is more than a movie and dinner.

Parks are good places for walks. Museums as I said earlier. Comedy/live shows. Historic building tours. Going to where all the folks were killed on the Valentines Day massacre.

Oooh any places doing like a beginners swing dancing thing?

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    What is the most violent age group?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »

Kids 7 to 9, probably.

• Options
    Ahaha, historic building tours and beginners swing dancing?

Am I, like, forty years old? This girl is a college freshman.

But I agree that the museum idea isn't bad, I need to pick one out though.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    males 18-24 probs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Winky wrote:

Science nerdy, not video game nerdy.

It's called "smart".

zeeny on
  • Options

Kids 7 to 9, probably.

close enough

2 year olds

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:

What type of violence? I know a place with a good amount of injury(violence) stats if you want to look at that.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    nah smart is me

nerdy is winky

U DIG ZEENY U DIG LOL

j/k i luv u winky

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    im full of spaghetti

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Winky wrote: »

It's thursday tomorrow, so, tequila thursday?

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Abdhyius wrote:

What type of violence? I know a place with a good amount of injury(violence) stats if you want to look at that.

it was a trick question, I knew the answer

just violent behaviour in general

which is 2 year olds

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    VdAfS.jpgFox News is great at graph making. Last year to last week being the same distance as last week to current? Sure, why not.

• Options

Kids 7 to 9, probably.

close enough

2 year olds

I assumed there are no statistics on toddlers. How did they research it?

• Options
    number of gunshot wounds in kindergartens obvs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Kids 7 to 9, probably.

close enough

2 year olds

Observation, mostly

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    Anyone seen Hugo? How important is the first 10 minutes?

gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    VdAfS.jpgFox News is great at graph making. Last year to last week being the same distance as last week to current? Sure, why not.

Excel is complicated, yo.

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote:

And that's not even considering how dumb it is to compare gas price averages that are only a week apart.

It's like trying to draw a conclusion from the fact that last week it was 10 degrees colder than it is this week.

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    Couscous wrote: »

I WILL STAB YOU. WHY DID I HAVE TO SEE THAT.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    number of gunshot wounds in kindergartens obvs

Laughed.

Kids 7 to 9, probably.

close enough

2 year olds

Observation, mostly

Killing machines without social inhibitions. THEY BETTER NOT GET CAUGHT OBSERVING THEM.

zeeny on
  • Options
    Couscous wrote:

And that's not even considering how dumb it is to compare gas price averages that are only a week apart.

It's like trying to draw a conclusion from the fact that last week it was 10 degrees colder than it is this week.

Wait it was 10 Degrees colder last week????

OMG GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL

/foxlogic

• Options
    Mazzyx wrote:

I know all these museums bro

I live here

I'm just trying to decide which one

• Options
    Winky wrote:

Dancing is a great one. It's a physical active that doesn't get canceled by moderately bad weather. It allows for conversation. And it lets you be close to the girl. What is the downside again?

• Options
    Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Couscous wrote:

Wait it was 10 Degrees colder last week????

OMG GLOBAL WARMING IS REAL

/foxlogic

Oh no wait, tomorrow it's going to be back down where it was last week.

Crisis averted!

vRyue2p.png
  • Options
    I just ran a projection analysis. By this time next year it will be 580 degrees!!!!

• Options
    Winky wrote:

Dancing is a great one. It's a physical active that doesn't get canceled by moderately bad weather. It allows for conversation. And it lets you be close to the girl. What is the downside again?

you're not allowed into dance classes until you're officially Old

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Winky wrote:
    Mazzyx wrote:

I know all these museums bro

I live here

I'm just trying to decide which one

I was trying to shorten the list. Though I think my vote would be the modern art museum. Though the planetarium would be fun.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.