As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PA Forum Let's Play Index -- OLD THREAD; Go to the new one!

1535455565759»

• Options
    AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    We're finishing it, or at least that's the plan.

Adus on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ugh. I was thinking Windows Movie Maker Live on Windows 7 might not be so bad and then I tried making an actual video with it. Seriously, Microsoft, why the hell would you take some perfectly functional like Windows Movie Maker and rape the shit out of it to make it almost useless?

Can't do voiceovers. No gallery of clips to add since you have to add them directly to every video you work on. It runs horribly. You can't individually delete transitions. Adding transitions is stupidly backwards. Basically, it's a trainwreck of an "upgrade".

So glad I didn't upgrade to Windows 7 mid-LP. Having to deal with Microsoft breaking shit for insane reasons would not have made me happy. Fortunately, it seems like you can install Windows Movie Maker on 7 and skip the bullshit. But oh noes, I won't be able to publish directly to Youtube! Eat a dick, Microsoft. Eat a basket full of dicks.

For the record:
    Windows Movie Maker Live for Windows 7 = total horseshit
    Window Movie Maker = acceptably useful

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I think you can finagle a workaround with the last decent WMM version for Vista on 7.

edit: Oh wait, you said that. Well, hopefully it works out.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I think most everyone I messaged for video / audio recording info has responded by this point. I have pretty much the next week off from work so I'm gonna compile what I've learned together into a comprehensive post. Hopefully. Somehow.

Edit - And thanks again for sharing what you know you guys.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So it seemed pretty simple, but apparently Microsoft is a bigger sack of shit than I thought. You see, I still have all my OS drive data from before the upgrade... except for all the Movie Maker files which would actually be useful. Which means Microsoft is not only trying to saddle people with the piece of shit known as Windows Movie Maker Live, they actually designed the upgrade process to prevent you from using the older, better program. And I have the files I need on my laptop, but that's the 32-bit version and I need the 64-bit version.

So glad the internet helps furnish one with the knowledge to override insane and horrible corporate choices.

EDIT: Turns out I still do have the WMM 6 files around, I was just too pissed off to realize the search function was being an idiot.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Sorry Ninja, I too know the pain of Movie Maker sticking a broom handle up my ass and breaking it off.

joshofalltrades on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Well, once I realized I could literally just run the old Movie Maker .exe from the backup directory, it was a lot easier. Though, again, for some crazy reason most of the encoding profiles are gone so now I have to wonder if this proper HD profile I just got working is going to spring some crazy crap on me and not work properly.

But that's why I'm using this sort-of-review of the STALKER series to get the kinks knocked out before Crysis. I'm just glad I've finally got things working properly rather than working the quarter-assed Microsoft way.

EDIT: So now videos that used to 500+ MB are now encoding at under 200 but with higher quality. This would be awesome except I don't know why. And I hate it when I don't know.

Well, provided there isn't something hideously wrong with the encoded videos which just hasn't come up yet, I can look for forward to having something like 2-3 hours shaved off of my encoding and uploading and end up with even higher-res videos.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On a different note, did anyone see LP Con 2010? I'm not making that up, I swear.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    On a different note, did anyone see LP Con 2010? I'm not making that up, I swear.

Oh, how I wish you were.

For those who wish to subject themselves to at least some of the utter awesomeness of this event, someone from the SA forums managed to record this groundbreaking event. Be warned that you click on the following link at your own risk and that I accept no responsibility whatsoever for any mental scarring you may receive as a result.

A recorded stream of LPC 2010 - complete with helpful annotations by the guy who recorded it.

Edit: Sound kicks in at around two minutes.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    How can it be a con without Helloween? Or Kikoskia? Or Katrinonus? Or...me?

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Or anyone from the SA forums? Apparently they didn't like SA LPers because they're "too mean."

Adus on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Can anyone tell me with like text what exactly LP Con was and how bad it was? I think it's hilarious that they don't like SA because it's "too mean." This sounds like a collection of YouTube people.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    That's pretty much what it was.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Oh dear god. A Youtube commenters convention?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Oh dear god. A Youtube commenters convention?

Oh god what?

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    No.. A convention for Youtube LPers. Not commenters. That wouldn't even make sense.

Adus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    To be fair, I haven't actually seen much of the YouTube LP community. I only know it exists, and have seen probably the worst of it, through the eyes of Retsupurae. But I have seen some reactions from people in it, who think that crappy effort is worth applauding.

Working on the OP changes right now. Admittedly not a lot of things are going to change but it'll be easier on my end to update things and keep track. I've got six different text documents open right now fussing around with all that.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, like, is chuggaaconroy their super star? While his actual video quality is quite good, his commentary is usually rather flat and boring since his off-topic musings are usually never funny. It also doesn't help that he thinks his Deviant Art buddies are "amazing" artists.

Edit: Also, did he just blatantly steal raocow's opening (not that anyone can have a claim on a catchphrases but the similarity is uncanny).

Shady3011 on
  • Options
    DragonatrixDragonatrix Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When it comes to updating the OP again, Henroid, update Klonoa: Empire of Dreams to Finished., please.

Dragonatrix on
    k0ysz.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If it's ok, I thought I'd plug a good off-forum LP by putting up a link for the latest Egomaniac video-LP for Something Awful, Siren: Blood Curse. It finished up this weekend and it's a good watch, especially for those who didn't feel like playing it since it's English version is only attainable here via the Playstation Network.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hey guys.

If you made inquiries for updates since my recent update, please check out the new thread and see how to do it from now on because I'm not checkin' this thread anymore. Sorry for any inconvenience this may cause!

Henroid on
  • Options
    Cyrus106Cyrus106 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Finally fixed my computer, getting back to my Let's Plays
    I did not die :D

Cyrus106 on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    But this thread did.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    Cyrus106Cyrus106 Registered User regular
    edited October 2010
    But this thread did.

Failure, I just posted in it because I had it in "my posts" I should read the titles more often
    *facedesk*

Cyrus106 on
  • Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Registered User new member
    Wow...there's some great advice in here. Though I admit I was daunted at the size of this thread and only made it to page 3 before I jumped to the last page. I asked my friends "what should I do to promote my LPs?" and one of them suggested going to an LP forum, and naturally I thought I'd look on PA first. I admit I don't do much forum stuff, I find forums large and slow-loading and confusing usually. O.O But uh, yeah, hi anyway. :p I won't pimp my own channel since I'm sure I'm too much of a newb to be granted the privilege, but I do have a question, how many of you prefer comedic LPs over informative ones and visa versa, or better yet, informative AND comedic LPs? (those are hard to find though, IMO. Most informative LPs are very cut-and-dry...as well they should be, I don't want to have to wade through 15 minutes of pointless wandering to figure out how to get past one little puzzle). I was inspired to try doing LPs myself by the likes of NintendoCentral and TobyGames (there was also this amazing LPer who did RE4, just hysterical, but I can't find his videos anymore. I think he might have deleted his account. ;_;). But the more I explore the various LP communities, I'm getting the impression that LPers like that aren't generally held in high regard. Is it because TobyGames is so very bad at games and only seems to play the "hottest titles" without really going for games he particularly enjoys? Or is it something else? Sorry if this is really off-topic, I'm just curious what LP strategies work and what don't, so I can try to make my own suck less. :p

(and another irrelevant question, would you consider something like ilikewaxingowl's "Noisy Hill" a let's play? All he does is insert funny lines over cutscenes, he doesn't really play the games much so probably not...what do you call them, then?)

• Options
    CeridwenCeridwen Registered User new member
    edited September 2011
    (wtf triple post?! Sorry!)

Ceridwen on
  • Options
    JayManWillyJayManWilly Registered User new member
    Batman Arkham Asylum
    by JayManWilly-Video-in progress

• Options
    ProSaurusXProSaurusX Registered User new member
    Where do I post my LP for reviewing. I Started a Bioshock LP and am in dire need of critics.
    I recorded a lot of footage and plan on posting 1-2 videos a day and will definitely finish this LP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CfZOxLj6UAk

• Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    Also, wasn't there an LP of Etrian 3 at some point, or am I literally toking it up.

pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular