The Jante [Chat]

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    OBAMA

AMABO

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    Read science fiction from the late 60's through the late 70's. Just pick anything and go.

It's got a whole kind of thing that you just don't get post-digital.

I'm reading Norstrilia and it's a gas.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ɹǝsɐqǝǝp

hahahahahahahaha wow

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Speaking of Civ 5, was playing a single player last night as Montezuma. Though it was a tech victory but I did take 3 different capitals. Damn Babylonians and their huge amount of wonders. They became mine. ALL MINE!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    saving those table flipping/righting emoticons to draft.

hey, i think i just figured out a useful feature for the stupid Vanilla save draft thing.

Dyna are you going to flip a table every time you post

Answer this question honestly

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Read science fiction from the late 60's through the late 70's. Just pick anything and go.

Like sexism m i rite.

You probably still get sexism.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Nova_C wrote: »
    I mean the self-study ones. I was given two huge textbooks by my employer because I requested training in CCNA. Everyone here who is doing the CCNA self-study has been doing it for like at least a year.

I plan to have it done by summer. None of this dragging it out shit.

Oh... damn. Self-study will be a bastard, especially if you din't have any of the gear to work with. Set yourself a goal of a chapter a week and you should be done in 3-4 months. Also, I'd get a partner in the office and start studying together.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Deebaser wrote: »
    haw haw, IRS is requiring people to report exact days of personal use and for fair value use for mixed rental properties

360 Days of personal use. Five days where the Smith Family paid me by check, and 100 days where I got cash. FUCK YOU TAX MAN.

that's not mixed. you need to rent up to 2 weeks for it to start being classified as mixed rental property. hell, you don't even have to pay tax on that rental income.

351 days of personal use?
    IANACPA
    Property rented less than 15 days. If a property is rented less than 15 days, it's primary function is not considered to be rental and it should not be reported on Schedule E (Form 1040). You are not required to report the rental income and rental expenses from this activity. The expenses, including qualified mortgage interest, property taxes, and any qualified casualty loss will be reported as normally allowed on Schedule A (Form 1040). See the instructions for Schedule A for more information on deducting these expenses.

Fuck this. Im going Galt.

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

this is a good thing you nerd

┬──┬◡ノ(° -°ノ)

I don't even have property, much less a mixed use rental property.
    As such, Im staying ignorantly outraged by this.

THANKS OBAMA

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ɹǝsɐqǝǝp

I picture Frank Black sayin my name when I read this...

(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡ɹǝsɐqǝǝp

...and Kim Deal when I read this.

deebaser◡ノ(° -°ノ)

SLICINGUPEYEBALLSAHHAHAHA

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    spool32 wrote: »
    I mean the self-study ones. I was given two huge textbooks by my employer because I requested training in CCNA. Everyone here who is doing the CCNA self-study has been doing it for like at least a year.

Oh... damn. Self-study will be a bastard, especially if you din't have any of the gear to work with. Set yourself a goal of a chapter a week and you should be done in 3-4 months. Also, I'd get a partner in the office and start studying together.

Seriously. Buy two cheap-ass Cisco 2600 routers off of eBay or Craigslist and set up a sandbox.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    If there's no room in your vision of the future for a gentleman to loosen his tie and enjoy a scotch on the rocks while some woman gets stuck doing domestic duties, then WHO WANTS YOUR FUTURE.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

Like sexism m i rite.

Honestly, you've got a whole feminist wave of SF that addresses things much more directly, though sometimes under male pseudonyms. I feel like there are fewer really entertaining social-science SF books nowadays. And the future has ossified, it always looks a bit like Star Trek.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

They make emulators for the Cisco hardware. You simply have to supply the right IOS images for it. It's how I did my study way back when.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    %D1%85%D0%BE%D0%BC%D1%8F%D0%BA%D0%B8.gif

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    mindspork wrote: »
    You can take a CCNA course that lasts as little as 5 days, with a refund if you don't pass the test given immediately afterwards. Cost runs to around $4000 including hotel room for the ones I've seen.

I wish cert exams were like College Degrees - I would much rather have somebody that said CCNA, 5 years experience in the field than CCNA, Joe's 100% Refund if you don't pass Crash Course

Well, usually the 5 years experience comes first, then they hit a ceiling where they need the damned credentials to get a raise or a promotion... so they knock out the exam in a week and get back to doing their job. Basically you have to judge the quality of the tests at this point... when I was starting out, "Paper MCSE" was a thing people said to criticize your skills. There was the guy who spent two years getting his Microsoft certs, and the guy who spent two years building networks and supporting Windows NT and working in the industry, and you knew which one you wanted to hire. CCNA, though, has always been a challenging test. You can't really bullshit your way through it, and if you don't have experience in the field you're going to be so lost in a 5-day crash course that you'll never pass the exam anyway.

True. It just worries me when I see things like the resume we got back in '06 that was basically:

'82 College
    '82-'87 random jobs, a little tech here and there, not a whole lot
    '87-'06 (this space left blank)
    '06 MCSE

And when we asked them what drove them to go for the MCSE they answered "I heard you can make a lot of money with it!"

Maybe I'm just bitter because beyond the CompTIA stuff in my field the certs are vendor specific, and vendor provided. And expensive as shit.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

Like sexism m i rite.

Honestly, you've got a whole feminist wave of SF that addresses things much more directly, though sometimes under male pseudonyms. I feel like there are fewer really entertaining social-science SF books nowadays. And the future has ossified, it always looks a bit like Star Trek.

I think I agree. It's hard to find something nowadays that isn't either grimdark, grimdark-plus-author-rape-fantansies or infected with the scourge of Irony.

Having a hard time thinking of something I've read that holds up to Poul Anderson or Frank Herbert or Heinlein (before he wigged out and lost all his talent about 3/4 through Stranger in a Strange Land) or Azimov (his earlier period of sci-fi, when he came back to it after writing other stuff for a couple decades it wasn't great) or even Larry Niven on his rare good days (eg: Protector).

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Like sexism m i rite.

I think I agree. It's hard to find something nowadays that isn't either grimdark, grimdark-plus-author-rape-fantansies or infected with the scourge of Irony.

Having a hard time thinking of something I've read that holds up to Poul Anderson or Frank Herbert or Heinlein (before he wigged out and lost all his talent about 3/4 through Stranger in a Strange Land) or Azimov (his earlier period of sci-fi, when he came back to it after writing other stuff for a couple decades it wasn't great) or even Larry Niven on his rare good days (eg: Protector).

Scalzi. Old Man's War is pretty excellent.

• Options

Like sexism m i rite.

Have you ever read the Final Encyclopaedia? Though yeah its a bit old but it is good. Actually probably one of my favorite Sci-Fi universes out there.

Actually some of the better recent sci-fi I have read were more horror or depressing. Manifold Space and Manifold Time are very good. Blindsight I know gets talked about a lot around here excellent book.

I think those are more of my recent readings. I can't think of others which I would recommend which are truly sci-fi.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Like sexism m i rite.

Have you ever read the Final Encyclopaedia? Though yeah its a bit old but it is good. Actually probably one of my favorite Sci-Fi universes out there.

Actually some of the better recent sci-fi I have read were more horror or depressing. Manifold Space and Manifold Time are very good. Blindsight I know gets talked about a lot around here excellent book.

I think those are more of my recent readings. I can't think of others which I would recommend which are truly sci-fi.

Oh yeah, forgot about Stephen Baxter. He's not bad.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    Mega Gif

Might want to link that. It's close to 3 megs in size which will get you an infraction.

• Options
    I just finished Old Man's War last week. Great dialog between the characters.

• Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
  • Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular

To quote Jeremy Clarkson :

"This is what happens when you let the Italians make the car, and ze Germans make the food, instead of the other way round."

• Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

"This is what happens when you let the Italians make the car, and ze Germans make the food, instead of the other way round."

Ferraris and bratwurst are delicious, shut up Jeremy Clarkson.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

Like sexism m i rite.

The one thing with Baxter is he is super fucking depressing. Dear god that man likes to make you never want to leave your warm comfortable safe blue ball of planet.

Actually Ben Bova's Asteroid Wars series was entertaining. It is tide to his grand tour series so lots of repeat characters with the Moon series about nano-tech. I have Venus around here somewhere but I haven't gotten to it yet.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    hamsters.gif
    hbVnv.jpg

• Options

What about Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ducati, etc.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Lots of people praise Old Man's War. I didn't think it was bad, but it's just generic trashy sci-fi.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Dynagrip wrote:

I think we should of learned from the Italian Paper Fleet but nope seems we haven't.

Want a ship well made, ask the English and don't have it made in Ireland!

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options

Like sexism m i rite.

The one thing with Baxter is he is super fucking depressing. Dear god that man likes to make you never want to leave your warm comfortable safe blue ball of planet.

Actually Ben Bova's Asteroid Wars series was entertaining. It is tide to his grand tour series so lots of repeat characters with the Moon series about nano-tech. I have Venus around here somewhere but I haven't gotten to it yet.

Am I the only one that really hates Peter Hamilton?

• Options
    mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular

They never put enough salt on the Ferraris though. I always have to add more.

• Options
    Dynagrip wrote:

Like sexism m i rite.

Am I the only one that really hates Peter Hamilton?

Nothing I listed was by him though I have one of his books staring at me. I don't mind him just consider him pulp.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Lots of people praise Old Man's War. I didn't think it was bad, but it's just generic trashy sci-fi.

That sounds suspiciously like Comsu talk to me ...

emnmnme on
  • Options
    So going through some of my research on the Arab Spring for a research paper due in a couple weeks and just ran into this line. And it just makes me grin.
    Robert Fogel's theory of ―technophysio evolution‖ outlines the
    parameters of this effect, using evidence of changing stature among US soldiers in the nineteenth
    century to argue that human nutrition is the thermodynamic engine for human productivity and
    investment (Fogel and Costa 1997).

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Dynagrip wrote: »

What about Ferrari, Lamborghini, Maserati, Ducati, etc.

Completely off set by the fact that Alfa Romeo produces a lot more cars then the first three combined.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

I love eating Ferraris.

This discussion has been closed.