As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[WH40,000] Tales of the Neckbeard and Adventures in Crazyland, 1000 FLGS stories.

• Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    The CCW scouts I used last week seemed to die pretty easily to regular vanilla marines. I don't have high hopes for them.

In other news, I don't understand the wording of a scout bike option. It says that up to 34 scout bikers can replace their boltguns with astartes grenade launchers for a specified point cost. Does that mean all three cost the same or is it that amt for each one? For that matter, in the regular bike squad it says that up to two models can replace their weapons with (meltas in my list). Does that mean each one pays the points cost? I assume so.

CCW Scouts exist solely as a Power Fist delivery vehicle.

Ya know... if I have the 2 preds ToT and I were discussin, one with.... ya know... it might be better for me to just list it again.
    Captain w/ bike, relica blade, storm shield

Chaplain w/ termie armor and stormbolter

terminator squad w/ 2 LC and 3 TH/SS and Land Raider

Dreadnought with assault cannon

bike squad w/ two meltas, sgt w/ power fist, 2 extra models, attack bike w/ multi-melta

bike squad w/ two meltas, sgt w/ power fist, 2 extra models, attack bike w/ multi-melta

scout squad w/ 2 shotguns, 2 bolters, sg w/ combi-melta

landspeeder storm

attack bike squad w/ 3 bikes, and 3 multi-meltas

predator w/ autocannon, and heavy bolter side sponsons

predator w/ autocannon and lascannon side sponsons

You're probably better off splitting the Attack Bikes into one unit of 2 and one unit of 1. Three multimeltas is overkill against, well, everything.

Costing this out I get 1825, although you may be running a Crusader rather than a Redeemer? Not sure. With the Redeemer:

Increase both Bike Squads to max size. This allows your meltas + Attack Bike to combat squad off and go hunt tanks while your Bolter bikes mow down infantry.
    Buy a Powerfist for you Scout Sargeant, to give them the CC punch required if they're running in a Storm.

2000 points on the nose. Otherwise you'll have to drop 10 points somewhere. Solid, solid list. Eventually you may want to consider dropping the Storm and Scouts for a Bike Command Squad.

With the regular land raider, it comes to 1835. Since I only have 5 models in each bike squad, I couldn't add 5 models to each squad with only 165 points left over. I could leave things as they are and give some more power fists and wargear out, or add the small tac squad, or increase the size of my bike squads by a model or two each.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Brainleech wrote: »
    skarsol wrote: »
    daveNYC wrote: »
    And what's up with the troop+transport packages? Are they being sold anywhere, because they're not on the GW site. *grumble, grumble, GW sales strategy, grumble*

My understanding is that these are only available through your FLGS (or Internet plastic monger).

How much are they and are they out now? few stores around here bother carrying 40k and such anymore

I think mine was $33 or so.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    daveNYC wrote: »
    Anyone try out Battlescribe on the Android?

Yes. As with Desktop Battlescribe, it lacks a bit of polish but I find that the openness/flexibility of his data formats make it nice. It can be a real hassle to build on...since there's no hard buttons there are strange tricks to edit some things, and some screens are sort of tucked away. Still, it's great to not have to bring a laptop with me if I'm going for a night of gaming, and it's a fun way to mess around and kill time.

The developer is, as mentioned, redoing the interface. He keeps good tabs on his UserVoice page so that he knows what's in demand feature/bug-wise and prioritizes accordingly.

• Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    I like Battlescribe because I can put it on my work PC without installing it. It just sits there on my flash drive. Really cool.

Not as good as AB, but satisfactory for what I paid for it until AB gets some kind of solution I can use at work as well.

E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    @valhalla130 if your AV is blowing up, just download the platform-agnostic .jar files and run those. You don't need to install anything.

I have battlescribe in a folder in my dropbox, so my shit is available all the time on every computer I've got (PC, mac, and linux). Or any one that has internet access, really.

Unless this magical new version of Army Builder adopts a not-ridiculous licensing model, it can continue to gargle buckets full of dick.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Nax, show me how to Scribe on my Androphone. I downloaded it, but you have to get archive files or whatever for each game and each codex? Where? How?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Would have a bike squad with 7 bikes and an attack bike be much better than one with 5 bikes and an attack bike?

What about dropping the number of models in those two squads to just 3 bikes and an attack bike? Then I might be able to get a full tac squad and still have some points left.

I didn't realize if I leave the tac squad at 5 models, it can't get any heavy weapons or assault weapons. That's not the same as 3rd edition, and that's dumb. Lots of folks used to run 5 man tac squads in razorbacks with a heavy and special weapon.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    mr_michmr_mich Mmmmagic. MDRegistered User regular
    Nax, show me how to Scribe on my Androphone. I downloaded it, but you have to get archive files or whatever for each game and each codex? Where? How?

It's not a graceful introduction, and he's just now getting around to a mini-tutorial for new PC users.

Like ArmyBuilder, Battlescribe needs to load the game system and army profiles to learn the roster rules/costs/stats. Battlescribe is set up to use a repository system, like how Linux works. It tracks when files are updated, and then oodles of clients can point to that single repository and pull down updates as needed.

The wheels kind of fell off the bus when GW told the developer that he couldn't maintain and distribute his own repo, similar to how AB can't officially give out roster files. Thus, you have to go digging around to find a new repo (I think most people use Randomhit?) The community support is pretty hit and miss depending on the game system/army though, so there's a good chance you'll want to use the included editor to modify the army file. I've taken to just running my own private repo so that all of my updates and stuff get pushed out to all of my computers/laptop/phone.

• Options
    If I drop the two extra models in each bike squad, then I could fit in a full 10 man tac squad w/ missile launcher, plasma gun and rhino. That would come to 1950. That leaves 50 points for various sundries.

How survivable are 3 man + 1 attack bike squads? I'm thinking not very.

I'm thinking i might just use the extra points I have to increase the model count in the bike squads. I can't increase them to a full ten man squad to take advantage of combat squads without dropping something else from the list.

My only reason at this point for making my bike squads the size they are is to try to have some cushion in case of casualties to make sure the attack bike is okay, and the two meltas are okay.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Baah. Should've waited until the top of the page to post my Rogue Trader stories. ;_;

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    I thought your Rogue Trader story was just darling, OtakuD00D.

:)

At this point, I think that game is the only one that could get me back into RPG's.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    TraceofToxinTraceofToxin King Nothing Registered User regular
    Taking a mix of shotguns and bolters in a 5 man storm squad is really crazy. I don't mean good crazy.

If you're not using the storm to shove a powerfist up someone's butt, I don't see the point. Especially with combi-melta it really gives you the ability to alpha strike pretty much any vehicle.

Also, I've seen 5 man scout squads with PF/CM used extensively by the bike player at my FLGS. They usually win combat by 1, then with cerberus launchers that makes it 3. Means most things will be testing on 6 or less. Just know what not to throw your boys at. Long fangs with terminator? Nope. 15 lootas? Nope. Dedicated CC unit? Nope. Tau suits? Yep. Devastators? Yep. Combat squads? Yep. 5 lootas? Yep. Grots? Yep. Shooty dreads? Yep.

If you don't get first turn you've got an outflanking unit with a ~20" threat range.

When I play on vassal I use two of them in my list and they always do well against the appropriate targets.

Everyday I wake up is the worst day of my life.
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    <3<3

Sucks that our Void Master is going to move out of state within a month's time. Hopefully we can still keep him in the game via Skype or something. Between us three, it took us a few turns to figure out the optimal way of doing a ship battle. Void Master maneuvers the ship when he needs to, and the Astropath fires the guns while I have him Put his Back Into It. When we don't need to maneuver the Astropath and I both buff the Void Master, because he happens to have the highest BS of us all.

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Baah. Should've waited until the top of the page to post my Rogue Trader stories. ;_;

Let me tell you, inferno pistol is a fantastic initial weapon. Rolling righteous fury in clutch situations makes for the most DM crushing moments.

Also, you were way too kind allowing the partners to join without some horrible initiation.

• Options
    Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    That's 40k 101. Tailor a squad to do a job. Don't mix the squad up to do three jobs. Just the one. Want to have a tactical squad that kills tanks? Missile and Melta. Want it to kill troops? Missile (alternative: Plasma/H.Bolter) and Plasma/Flamer. Don't go mixing shit up all crazy like.

Only time that's acceptable is in Kill Team, when you do need them to do it all.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    That's 40k 101. Tailor a squad to do a job. Don't mix the squad up to do three jobs. Just the one. Want to have a tactical squad that kills tanks? Missile and Melta. Want it to kill troops? Missile (alternative: Plasma/H.Bolter) and Plasma/Flamer. Don't go mixing shit up all crazy like.

Only time that's acceptable is in Kill Team, when you do need them to do it all.

AKA, Blasters, Blasters everywhere. I love you, Trueborn. <3

Let me tell you, inferno pistol is a fantastic initial weapon. Rolling righteous fury in clutch situations makes for the most DM crushing moments.

Also, you were way too kind allowing the partners to join without some horrible initiation.

I think crippling their ship and damn near letting them burn to death was good enough. Now they're pirating in my name. Yeah, the DM was pretty shocked that two of the three henchmen went down in a single shot each. The Astropath wouldn't let me hear the end of it as far as MY target not having anything left for us to search through.

I still find it funny as hell that the Astropath has the highest Toughness and the best set of armor out of all three of us. I guess that's what happens when you're born in a Death World.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options

Only variation I would put on this is things that can't kill tanks being given a combi-melta for oh shit situations.
    I think crippling their ship and damn near letting them burn to death was good enough. Now they're pirating in my name. Yeah, the DM was pretty shocked that two of the three henchmen went down in a single shot each. The Astropath wouldn't let me hear the end of it as far as MY target not having anything left for us to search through.

That wasn't quite up to Zaff's standards though. You're being too normal. Get on Zaff's level.

Well, ya know, it IS a melta pistol. Our DM thought it'd be great to give us a ridiculously tough boss after our astropath and warrior had been mowing everyone down. He proceeded to kick our asses for two rounds and put 2/4 of us in crit then I got lucky and double righteous furied him with the melta. I had it coming after I flew our ship into a bunch of stuff :(

The moral of the story is, get the wrist mounting for it and the special ammo because LOL Melta shotgun.

• Options

Only variation I would put on this is things that can't kill tanks being given a combi-melta for oh shit situations.

That wasn't quite up to Zaff's standards though. You're being too normal. Get on Zaff's level.

Well, ya know, it IS a melta pistol. Our DM thought it'd be great to give us a ridiculously tough boss after our astropath and warrior had been mowing everyone down. He proceeded to kick our asses for two rounds and put 2/4 of us in crit then I got lucky and double righteous furied him with the melta. I had it coming after I flew our ship into a bunch of stuff :(

The moral of the story is, get the wrist mounting for it and the special ammo because LOL Melta shotgun.

The combi-melta is always acceptable in all situations. Simply because it gives you that hail-mary tank kill, and the "I gotta kill that IC" instagib ability.

• Options

Honestly, I find it a lot easier to channel Archer than Zapp. I'm trying to switch between both. Either way, I guess I'll think of an initiation rite of some sort. Oh man, fun times. Wait, wrist mounting? Special ammo? DO TELL

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    NaxNax For Sanguinius! Registered User regular

Put this into the repository URL box: http://www.randomhit.org/battlescribe_data/index40k.xml

Give it a few minutes to do its thing, and you're pretty much set.

@ToT: Yeah, CC scouts out of a storm at the right targets can do well. However, it is so very rare that people either A. actually take those units in a list, or B. leave them vulnerable for an opening charge like that. I did a lot of playtesting with Storms and Scouts, because I love the idea of them. I had the most success dropping them at an objective, and wiping out the enemy troop unit with double tap bolter fire, and some supporting fire from the Storm.

It works fairly well as a way to suicide a powerfist/combi melta into something, but as a general rule I'm not a fan of suicide squads (unless its chaos terminators :P)

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm kind of lacking in the 40K 101 department. That's why I'm asking the experts. You guys. :)

So what are shotguns for?

I will be retooling the scout squad with CCW and power fist for the scout. I like the idea of a stabby scout squad.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Shotguns are for.... looking cool :P

The following people are amazing and I love them: Wildcat, Timspork, Kias, Denada, susan, Sharp101, [GHSC]Ryctor, Matev, Matrias, ItBurns, Slapnuts, Dayspring, see317, and the unknown poster that sent me a box of Death Company! <3 If you get them as Santees you should buy them amazing things!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Then they are gone. This is going to be my partially looking cool, but mostly effective army.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    Bring back 6 man las-plas

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    I don't understand why they've never opened up more weapon options on attack bikes. They really only want them to have heavy bolters and mulit-meltas? Same with land speeders. That can't hook up a lascannon to that bike?

I'm alittle upset I purchased some scout bikes and won't be using them now.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The CCW scouts I used last week seemed to die pretty easily to regular vanilla marines. I don't have high hopes for them.

In other news, I don't understand the wording of a scout bike option. It says that up to 34 scout bikers can replace their boltguns with astartes grenade launchers for a specified point cost. Does that mean all three cost the same or is it that amt for each one? For that matter, in the regular bike squad it says that up to two models can replace their weapons with (meltas in my list). Does that mean each one pays the points cost? I assume so.

CCW Scouts exist solely as a Power Fist delivery vehicle.

Ya know... if I have the 2 preds ToT and I were discussin, one with.... ya know... it might be better for me to just list it again.
    Captain w/ bike, relica blade, storm shield

Chaplain w/ termie armor and stormbolter

terminator squad w/ 2 LC and 3 TH/SS and Land Raider

Dreadnought with assault cannon

scout squad w/ 2 shotguns, 2 bolters, sg w/ combi-melta

landspeeder storm

attack bike squad w/ 3 bikes, and 3 multi-meltas

predator w/ autocannon, and heavy bolter side sponsons

predator w/ autocannon and lascannon side sponsons

You're probably better off splitting the Attack Bikes into one unit of 2 and one unit of 1. Three multimeltas is overkill against, well, everything.

Costing this out I get 1825, although you may be running a Crusader rather than a Redeemer? Not sure. With the Redeemer:

Increase both Bike Squads to max size. This allows your meltas + Attack Bike to combat squad off and go hunt tanks while your Bolter bikes mow down infantry.
    Buy a Powerfist for you Scout Sargeant, to give them the CC punch required if they're running in a Storm.

2000 points on the nose. Otherwise you'll have to drop 10 points somewhere. Solid, solid list. Eventually you may want to consider dropping the Storm and Scouts for a Bike Command Squad.

With the regular land raider, it comes to 1835. Since I only have 5 models in each bike squad, I couldn't add 5 models to each squad with only 165 points left over.

Err, what? You only need to add three models to each squad. That's 150. Give the Scout Sgt. a power weapon instead of a fist, call it a day.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm confused on the Combat Squad rule for bike squads then. Or maybe I'm just confused on the squad itself. Reading the rules, it sounds like it starts with three models, then I can add models up to a total of 10 bikes. Then I can add an attack bike in addition. Does the attack bike count as two of the regular bikes? Is it like giving a guy in a tac squad a missile launcher? Or is this a completely separate model not erlated to the initial three models ...

Never mind. I'm stupid. I just read it and I can give the squad up to 5 more models. Bringing it to a total of 8 marine bikers and one attack bike.

Still, I only had 165 points left over. I already include the power fists for the sergeants of both squads. With only 165 points, I couldn't add three more models to each squad.

EDIT: Again with the sucking at reading comprehension. It would be a total of 150 points to add all 6 extra models. I got it.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    The Wrist Mounting sounds fun, but... freaking 30% less range on my Melta Pistol? HELL no. It's already got a ridiculously bad reach. What's the special ammo do?

makosig.jpg
  • Options

5 man. Current BT codex. Only real redeemable quality of that army right now (besides the occasional shut out you can dish out with some good playing).

• Options
    I'm gonna have a lot of bikes on the table, aren't I?

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options

5 man. Current BT codex. Only real redeemable quality of that army right now (besides the occasional shut out you can dish out with some good playing).

BT so OP right now, man

• Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    Nax wrote: »

BT so OP right now, man

Yeah, BT are stupid right now. Machine Spirit on Vindicators makes them better than BA Vindicators, and BA Vindicators are OP.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I think I've got it down now. I appreciate all your help. This list means I need to buy more stuff, but that's what happens when you buy things all willy-nilly with no goal to get to.

HQ

Captain - bike, relic blade, storm shield, melta bombs

Chaplain - terminator armor, stormbolter, melta bombs

Elite

Terminator Assault Squad - 2 lightning claws, three storm shields/thunder hammers, land raider

Dreadnought - assault cannon

Troops

Bike Squad - 5 additional bikes, 2 melta-guns, attack bike w/ multi-melta, sgt w/ power fist, melta bombs

Bike Squad - 5 additional bikes, 2 melta-guns, attack bike w/ multi-melta, sgt w/ power fist, melta bombs

Scout Squad - 4 bolt pistol and combat blade, sgt w/ power fist, melta bombs

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Storm - w/ heavy flamer

Attack Bike Squad - 2 attack bikes w/ multi-meltas

Attack Bike Squad - 1 attack bike w/ multi-melta

Heavy Support

Predator - autocannon w/ heavy bolter sponsons

What do you all think? This is exactly 2000 points.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I don't understand why they've never opened up more weapon options on attack bikes. They really only want them to have heavy bolters and mulit-meltas? Same with land speeders. That can't hook up a lascannon to that bike?

Because having a 48" lascannon or 36" plasma cannon that can move quickly to redeploy and still be able to shoot is a tad unbalanced.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    60" lascannon or 48" plasma cannon, since bikes are relentless and can move their full distance and still shoot.

• Options
    I suppose that would be something I hadn't thought of.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    My FLGS finally got my Tyranid tray in (with 3 Carnifex spots, 2 Trygon spots and 5 Zoanthrope spots). Apparently my VC cavalry tray got lost in transit again.

I'm hoping that the Trygon spots will fit a Tervigon and Tyrannofex without too much trouble. They don't overhang the sides of the base, so I'm hoping I just need to make some quick cuts to fit the tails on both and Rupture Cannon on the 'fex.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I think I've got it down now. I appreciate all your help. This list means I need to buy more stuff, but that's what happens when you buy things all willy-nilly with no goal to get to.
    HQ

Captain - bike, relic blade, storm shield, melta bombs

Chaplain - terminator armor, stormbolter, melta bombs

Elite

Terminator Assault Squad - 2 lightning claws, three storm shields/thunder hammers, land raider

Dreadnought - assault cannon

Troops

Scout Squad - 4 bolt pistol and combat blade, sgt w/ power fist, melta bombs

Fast Attack

Land Speeder Storm - w/ heavy flamer

Attack Bike Squad - 2 attack bikes w/ multi-meltas

Attack Bike Squad - 1 attack bike w/ multi-melta

Heavy Support

What do you all think? This is exactly 2000 points.

I typically find Melta Bombs to be kind of an ineffective point-sink against players who have any idea what they're doing - it's pretty hard to hit a moving vehicle in close combat. Stripping the melta bombs out gives you an additional twenty-five points, which you could then spend on a multi-melta for the LR, Dozer Blades for the Preds, and a multi-melta for the Storm. That would give you 11 melta shots, 7 of them multi-meltas on Relentless platforms. Your Preds, Terms, and bolter bikes should be able to mow through infantry without too much trouble as long as you play them carefully.

Dozer blades wouldn't be super-awesome on the Preds, though - you're going to want them sitting still in some variety of cover, since they're going to be fire magnets for the opponent's anti-tank weapons - so maybe drop those and upgrade the Dreadnought's built-in stormbolter to a Heavy Flamer.

• Options
    Rumours are now saying the Chaos codex which has a focus on legions (rumours aren't calling it Chaos Legions anymore) is May.

Which means I'm in trouble. Because if we get a book that does a good job of letting me field World Eaters, my Tyranids are in trouble.

On the bright side, I've gotten so much practice painting dirty red, World Eaters will be a breeze.

• Options
    The Wrist Mounting sounds fun, but... freaking 30% less range on my Melta Pistol? HELL no. It's already got a ridiculously bad reach. What's the special ammo do?

Dude the thing has no range to begin with, now you can carry a normal meltagun and have a WRIST MOUNTED MELTA PISTOL. Noob.

The special ammo gives it the same effect as a shotgun so it can do more damage based on how many degrees of success you hit with. It's pretty fucking broken.

This discussion has been closed.