As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Jak and Daxter] - Let's talk about ottsels

13»

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote:
    anoffday wrote:
    They tended to sell decently but not great. The trend that went back to even their PS2 installments was that they'd sell more copies when they hit Greatest Hits/Platinum status than they would when they were new. But if we're comparing those sales to an Uncharted or even Resistance, they paled in comparison. The latest installment, All 4 One was a pretty big bomb, so hopefully that doesn't kill the series.

Does All 4 One have single player? I always got the impression that it was multiplayer only. Maybe that's why it didn't do well?

There's always 4 characters, I believe (haven't played it myself), but when playing alone the other characters are computer controlled.

Reviews specifically said that, yes.

I really wonder how well that one sold... it didn't hit the top 10 charts, then again there were a lot of heavy hitters this Christmas (MW3, Skyrim, the 3DS Mario games, the various dance games, etc.).

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    Maybe it changes in later levels, but when playing solo I got one added companion. The game's pretty damn fun with 3 other players actually, I just don't really see most people ever managing 3 other players (locally. Does it have online coop?), let alone for the entire game's duration.

• Options
    Shady3011Shady3011 Registered User regular
    jclast wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    The Sly Collection was very easy to get 100% on all games too.

They were overly nice to us on Sly 1. Those master thief sprints are freaking hard, but luckily there are no trophies (or only 1 easy one, I can't remember) attached to them.

There are no trophies attached to the sprints. Thank goodness as well since those were fucking stupid hard.

• Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    Maybe it changes in later levels, but when playing solo I got one added companion. The game's pretty damn fun with 3 other players actually, I just don't really see most people ever managing 3 other players (locally. Does it have online coop?), let alone for the entire game's duration.

I bought it and haven't started playing yet. I wanted it for local coop, but then after buying it I learned that it does not support multiple PSN logons so only one of us would be able to save our character progress and whatnot.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Need to pick this up. I'm in the minority in that Jak II is my favorite in the series. The original was a nicely done Mario 64 clone with terrific graphics, a great day/night system, and a genuinely impressive seamless world, but the platforming was easy and the levels relatively simplistic. I got 100% without a guide in a single weekend during medical school, which says volumes about how time consuming (or not) that task was.

Jak II, on the other hand, to me genuinely tried something new. Yeah it grafted elements from the current hotness a little too freely and the generic rage was tiresome, but the level design improved massively, the sense of humor got much wittier, and it genuinely felt like Naughty Dog was trying to do things with the platformer that hadn't been done before. There are a number of misfires (a difficulty curve that's way out of whack, brutal checkpointing, and the overzealous Krimzon Guard), but the ambition easily outstrips these faults. Plus the campaign is surprisingly lengthy and chock full of variety.

Jak 3 suffered from an abbreviated development time (one year instead of the two for Jak II) and from the platforming being sidelined. At times it felt more like a vehicular combat came with intermittent on-foot sequences than a platformer with vehicles. Several of the major plot-twists also felt more like attempts to shock regardless of whether they made sense than general reveals that had been appropriately foreshadowed. Still not a bad game, and it's polished as hell (easily the most refined of the three), but after the raw ambition of Jak II the third game felt safe and uninspired.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    You do know that Naughty Dog makes more than one game at a time, right? It wouldn't go to waste at all.

Yes, I obviously know that. I also know that if you spend millions of dollars setting up your own mocap studio, you should probably use it as much as possible.
    anoffday wrote:
    Does All 4 One have single player? I always got the impression that it was multiplayer only. Maybe that's why it didn't do well?
    That's probably a good guess. I'd guess that the lack of advertising and mini-game collection look of the trailers turned off a lot of the franchises fans. I know it did for me. I'll probably buy it eventually but it'd have to be pretty cheap at that point.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    It has single player (you're joined by an NPC buddy that fits whichever of the four characters you picked to play) and plays like a slightly simplified R&C. There's no camera control for obvious reasons, but otherwise you're jumping and shooting as normal, with coop mechanics added in to spice things up. I've not even hit a minigame yet, but admittedly I've only played it for a limited amount of time, as I'd rather play it with friends than alone.

I'd avoided it for the same reason you guys had, but it's a solid game from what I saw.

• Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    Anyway, a question for someone that has the Collection. How are the ports? I've heard of all the problems but I assume they still hold up?
    I've played all of J&D and half of Jak II, and the ports seem great. The games are lovely in HD. They are still a joy to play, too (Jak II difficulty spikes aside).

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Yeah all4One changed up the R&C formula and I wasnt too pleased with it. I've beaten it completely as a single player game, have little desire to play it multiplayer. I hope they go back to the original single player only format.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Given Insomniac's increasing desire to make multiplatform stuff it's more likely than not that the next R&C game won't be made by Insomniac.

• Options
    Pretty sure I read Insomniac own the Ratchet&Clank license, they've just not gone multiplatform due to having a good relationship with Sony (and likely due to engine tech being PS3 specific).

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Glal wrote:
    Pretty sure I read Insomniac own the Ratchet&Clank license, they've just not gone multiplatform due to having a good relationship with Sony (and likely due to engine tech being PS3 specific).

There have been non Insomniac Ratchet & Clank games made for PSP, so not sure if that's 100% true.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Glal wrote: »

They do have a good relationship with Sony, but they're about to release Overstrike, a multiplatform game for consoles, and more for Facebook and smartphones.

Going to the Ratchet and Clank website:

http://www.ratchetandclank.com/en_US/index.htm

...indicates they're all owned by Sony.

• Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    i liked jak 2, but i was a dumbass back when it came out. real perfectly marketed for my age group (i think i was about 14/15 then?) with GTA stuff for people who weren't allowed to play GTA. stupid hovercar races were dogshit though. and one of the ladies had super low cut jeans with her thong sticking out the sides. and jak's LI from the first game gets big tits i think.

like i said, for 14 year olds that game was golden.

• Options
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Glal wrote: »
    They do have a good relationship with Sony, but they're about to release Overstrike, a multiplatform game for consoles, and more for Facebook and smartphones.
    Going to the Ratchet and Clank website:
    http://www.ratchetandclank.com/en_US/index.htm
    ...indicates they're all owned by Sony.
    Yeah, Wiki seems to confirm it also.
    Wiki wrote:
    Every game in the series has been released exclusively for the PlayStation family of consoles as the IP is owned by Sony Computer Entertainment.

• Options
    Yay, finally got my game! Thanks, The Hut, for taking 8 days after release to finally ship and deliver it.

I now know why I quit playing the first game originally- because the Precursor Basin level can go eat a dick. Nothing quite like requiring lots of timed, precision jumps whilst driving a stick of butter. Ah well, with some perseverance I cleared the damn thing out, hopefully they don't pull an all-vehicle trick again later.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Following up on their Black Ops 2 leak, Amazon.fr have listed a Ratchet & Clank HD Collection. I expect we'll see an announcement next week at GDC and it'll be released in September (like most other Sony HD Collections).

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    Huh. I figured they would just let Future be the R and C trilogy of this gen.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    It is

The HD Collection is the trilogy of last gen