As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Mass Effect 3: Welcome To Our Thread, Here Are Your Complimentary Tasers and Cyanide Pills

• Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    people are donating to charity to protest mass effect 3's ending?

sounds like bioware needs to make shittier endings

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    What I dislike most about these alternate ending theories is that they are - in essence - just an elaborate construct that excuses the poor ending that BioWare provided. It's like the fan community is so unwilling to believe that the ending is bad that they're jumping through these ridiculous hoops to theorize that it's actually great, and the community is just too dumb/ignorant to realize it. It's the worst kind of masochism, deflecting blame onto the customers rather than the developer.

Plus, it's way overblown in significance. It's a letdown, for some, but for many it's just the end and nothing more egregious. They just don't care. It doesn't really break the game, just tarnishes it. But the way some people who are annoyed by it seem to be shifting all blame onto themselves instead of onto the developer seems peculiar at best, downright sinister at worst.

I also think donating to charity as a form of protest is also quite underhanded. It's as though they are holding the needs of the sick and infirm to ransom for what they want, which is a better ending. It's as though because they are giving money to charity, their position and stance is unimpeachable. As though because they are funnelling their desires through a charity, any criticism of their demands/desires is - in part - an attack on the good will it is providing. That's wrong. That's abusing the good work that Child's Play does to strengthen your own personal stance on an issue. An issue that, many would agree, is utterly insignificant in the face of what the people who need Child's Play actually have to deal with.

3TwCx.jpg

belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    Farts...
    Butts...

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Cambiata wrote: »
    Seriously wrote: »
    ending theory
    I love fan interpretations like the indoctrination thing, it's a neat bit of headcanon

but as for actually setting it forth as the actual truth,

well

if you think the catalyst is lying to you then why would you trust anything that it says? That could be the power conduit to the Not Killing All Organic Life Forevermore system or something else roughly as ridiculous as what it apparently is

Well essentially,
    even if the fan interpretation is wrong, I don't believe what Catalyst says. Or that is to say, I believe him about as much as I believe TIM - some of what he says he believes, even if it's bullshit; some of what he says is outright lies; some of what he says is a mixing of the truth to make the lie stronger.

So shooting bullets into it seems like a good call. Maybe shooting bullets won't do anything, but if that ends up being the case then I can allways call on my bro Hackett to bring in bigger guns.
    The Catalyst is in fact the least trustworthy source possible in this series. Literally the leader of the Reapers. If it was Harby talking to you, everyone would shoot him immediately.

As for why he even bothers to bring you up, the only reason I can think of is to activate the Synthesis ending which seems like a good thing from his viewpoint. But why not just do that himself? Why offer any choice to you?

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    Everytime cerberus pulls some shit or someone turns out to be working for cerberus, everyone goes 'oh dang I wonder if they're INDOCTRINATED'

did I fucking miss something

Does cerberus have their own indoctrination technology

Was there some big conversation I missed where they're working with the reapers and not against them like has been stated a hundred times

This is pissing me off

• Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    What I dislike most about these alternate ending theories is that they are - in essence - just an elaborate construct that excuses the poor ending that BioWare provided. It's like the fan community is so unwilling to believe that the ending is bad that they're jumping through these ridiculous hoops to theorize that it's actually great, and the community is just too dumb/ignorant to realize it. It's the worst kind of masochism, deflecting blame onto the customers rather than the developer.

Plus, it's way overblown in significance. It's a letdown, for some, but for many it's just the end and nothing more egregious. They just don't care. It doesn't really break the game, just tarnishes it. But the way some people who are annoyed by it seem to be shifting all blame onto themselves instead of onto the developer seems peculiar at best, downright sinister at worst.

I also think donating to charity as a form of protest is also quite underhanded. It's as though they are holding the needs of the sick and infirm to ransom for what they want, which is a better ending. It's as though because they are giving money to charity, their position and stance is unimpeachable. As though because they are funnelling their desires through a charity, any criticism of their demands/desires is - in part - an attack on the good will it is providing. That's wrong. That's abusing the good work that Child's Play does to strengthen your own personal stance on an issue. An issue that, many would agree, is utterly insignificant in the face of what the people who need Child's Play actually have to deal with.

well I mean it's like 30k so

that seems like a good thing

• Options
    What if someone wrote something so bad that it ended world hunger

I think I would be

proud

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    What if someone wrote something so bad that it ended world hunger

I think I would be

proud

My new goal in life

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Knob wrote: »
    Everytime cerberus pulls some shit or someone turns out to be working for cerberus, everyone goes 'oh dang I wonder if they're INDOCTRINATED'

Was there some big conversation I missed where they're working with the reapers and not against them like has been stated a hundred times

This is pissing me off

yeah, you missed that

namely
    the entire mission of horizon, the entire last speech of TIM, and the opening mission of mars

Langly on
  • Options
    royardroyard Registered User regular

There's no question about whether the endings are shitty. I'm really not saying the ending is great; if I seemed to have done that, I'm sorry about the confusion. I'm merely proposing a theory to interpret the endings, and I totally agree with you on the "customers shouldn't need to jump through hoops" point.

The charity thing is a little bit too... vindicative for me.

Irrefutable proof that the ME3 endings are visually similar. Good or bad is up to your interpretations and tastes. Visual similarity is not.
    2 minutes. No commentary. Spoiler obviously.
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Langly wrote: »

I guess I just feel that people should want to donate to Child's Play because they support the charity and actively want to help children. Rather than, you know, getting something out of it for themselves.

• Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular

Whoa, now. I hope none of this is directed at me.

I say, and have said since the beginning, that the ending isn't all that great (I'd describe it as mediocre rather than terrible), but the rest of the game is the most amazing thing I've ever played, so even though the ending drops the ball it's not the end of the world for me. I'd be 100% fine with the endings if they were just better explained and fleshed out.

I like the alternate fan theory, not because I think it's what was actually intended by the writers, but rather because it sort of soothes my dislike for certain parts of the ending. I'm not saying that if people don't agree with that interpretation then they're way too dumb for Bioware's super intellectual writing (lol!), or even that it is the real, true, correct, and only interpretation. I just happen to like it better. Again, similar to these alternate film interpretations. Just because the creators didn't think of them, doesn't mean they aren't still pretty damn rad.

And honestly, I don't think anyone espousing this alternate theory is trying to 'blame' fellow fans for not agreeing with it. For the people who like it, it's good. But I don't see anyone who likes it saying that other people are idiots for not agreeing with it.

In a way it's kind of a coping mechanism. Remember that analogy to shit cake that some people were making? That the discovery of shit in the center of the cake makes the entire experience terrible, no matter how wonderful the cake was before? Well suppose what was in the center wasn't shit, but was chocolate mousse? Then your experience doesn't have to be ruined. If people can use the theory to keep their experience from being spoiled, I'm all for it.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options

I guess I just feel that people should want to donate to Child's Play because they support the charity and actively want to help children. Rather than, you know, getting something out of it for themselves.

well I mean we host an actual charity auction where people buy things they want and the money goes to the same charity

that seems like the exact same thing?

• Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular

well I mean we host an actual charity auction where people buy things they want and the money goes to the same charity

Those items are auctioned with the intent to raise money for Child's Play.

Donating money and then demanding something in return is distasteful.

Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

whitemailing is finally on the rise and I can become an anti-crime kingpin

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

This is pissing me off

On the Mars Mission
    You see cerberus trooper with no helmet and see that it has signs of huskification.

• Options
    I'm going to assume the charity thing is more an attention getting exercise to raise awareness of their oh-so-urgent concerns

I mean you'd have to be a bit delusional to expect BioWare to cave in to those demands

(He says, thirty minutes before a $1 million Kickstarter equivalent shakes the internet)

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options

who cares about the motivations of suckers

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular

I saw that more as a framework for charitable feeling. Hence why it's an auction, not a sale. I dunno, it's just weird that the outlet they chose to give their movement publicity was by donating to Child's Play. I'm as pragmatic as the next guy, so I don't really spend too much time worrying where the money comes from or why. I just think it undermines their position a little. The two articles I've read that mention it say the same, that using Child's Play donations as a metric for how much support your demands have is a bad precedent.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular

This is pissing me off
    they make it pretty obvious that TIM is fucking with reaper tech

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular

This is pissing me off
    they make it pretty obvious that TIM is fucking with reaper tech

like it's kind of one of the main plotpoints i'm not sure how you managed to overlook it

• Options
    What about those of us who are okay with the ending, acknowledge its flaws, and want future mass effect games to build off it rather than have it completely changed

What of us?!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

That's pretty cynical Scarab. Everyone wins when more people give to a charity.

If the ending had been better the ending response would have been... less money for charity? How are you justifying this as a bad thing?

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    it's just a convergence of "I would like to donate to Child's Play" and "I would like better endings", hitting two birds and such

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    What about those of us who are okay with the ending, acknowledge its flaws, and want future mass effect games to build off it rather than have it completely changed

What of us?!
    I guess we have just each other, on this lonely space station..

kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    CambiataCambiata Commander Shepard The likes of which even GAWD has never seenRegistered User regular
    -Tal wrote: »
    ending theory
    I love fan interpretations like the indoctrination thing, it's a neat bit of headcanon

well

if you think the catalyst is lying to you then why would you trust anything that it says? That could be the power conduit to the Not Killing All Organic Life Forevermore system or something else roughly as ridiculous as what it apparently is

Well essentially,
    even if the fan interpretation is wrong, I don't believe what Catalyst says. Or that is to say, I believe him about as much as I believe TIM - some of what he says he believes, even if it's bullshit; some of what he says is outright lies; some of what he says is a mixing of the truth to make the lie stronger.

So shooting bullets into it seems like a good call. Maybe shooting bullets won't do anything, but if that ends up being the case then I can allways call on my bro Hackett to bring in bigger guns.
    The Catalyst is in fact the least trustworthy source possible in this series. Literally the leader of the Reapers. If it was Harby talking to you, everyone would shoot him immediately.

As for why he even bothers to bring you up, the only reason I can think of is to activate the Synthesis ending which seems like a good thing from his viewpoint. But why not just do that himself? Why offer any choice to you?

(ending stuff)
    I was going to say that they needed a human to jump into the beam to make systhesis possible, that they can't do it themselves, but then I remembered they've been porting bodies up to the citadel so they've got plenty of them around.

Perhaps they need a living human, but they could have used TIM who they had control of.

I gues Shepard really is the "for reals" Catalyst, and she's the only one that synthesis would really work with because of being Space Jesus.

"If you divide the whole world into just enemies and friends, you'll end up destroying everything" --Nausicaa of the Valley of Wind
  • Options
    You guys should fund wasteland 2 instead

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular

What of us?!

reeducation camps

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    DepressperadoDepressperado I just wanted to see you laughing in the pizza rainRegistered User regular

What of us?!

nope, not allowed, pick a side and fashion a weapon out of whatever is at hand

• Options

What of us?!

Room for one more? :winky:

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

What of us?!

We'll try to get you help as soon as we can

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    I would also support a patch for the ending that replaces the post credits scene with dealwithit.gif

xmassig2.gif
  • Options

What of us?!

and my axe

people keep mentioning Fallout 3 as an example where the ending really did get changed, what happened there?

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Welcome to the Robot Huggers Club, here is your membership card, your copy of Asimov's I, Robot, and a DVD of I, Robot, starring Will Smith.
    if only antimatter were here to see this

FUCK WILL SMITH'S I, ROBOT

• Options
    ZayZay yes i am zay Registered User regular
    :-bd

sthbuf0g7b7y.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »
    ending theory

well

Well essentially,

(ending stuff)
    I was going to say that they needed a human to jump into the beam to make systhesis possible, that they can't do it themselves, but then I remembered they've been porting bodies up to the citadel so they've got plenty of them around.

Perhaps they need a living human, but they could have used TIM who they had control of.

I gues Shepard really is the "for reals" Catalyst, and she's the only one that synthesis would really work with because of being Space Jesus.
    I guess Shep being a cyborg would help there a lot, actually

but then there's still that big flaw that not only is Synthesis sometimes not offered, but Destroy is the only choice. doesn't seem to be a way around that.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options

What of us?!

and my axe

people keep mentioning Fallout 3 as an example where the ending really did get changed, what happened there?

Fallout 3 spoilers
    the ending of fallout 3 has you kill yourself, and it is unavoidable. It was so stupid.

They released DLC that was like

uh....you didn't die, nevermind.

• Options

What of us?!

Perfect world I'd prefer them to make an unflawed ending and build the future games off of that

I'm not gonna throw a tantrum if that's not what happens and I'll still buy future mass effect games regardless

but yeah

• Options
    edited March 2012

What of us?!

and my axe

I don't know if I actually have to spoiler this but
    originally, you die at the end, when the DLC, Broken Steel, came out, it made it so that you got rescued after losing consciousness, or you could send some of your other followers, the ones immune to radiation in to save the day instead.

basically, instead of finishing the main quest ending the game, it let you continue playing after.

edit: Langley you hoodlum

Depressperado on
  • Options

What of us?!

and my axe

I don't know if I actually have to spoiler this but
    originally, you die at the end, when the DLC, Broken Steel, came out, it made it so that you got rescued after losing consciousness, or you could send some of your other followers, the ones immune to radiation in to save the day instead.

basically, instead of finishing the main quest ending the game, it let you continue playing after.
    so mad at Fawkes

This discussion has been closed.