As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kony 2012] Alert the Internet!

124»

• Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    All this Kony 2012 thing has got me thinking is that the republicans really don't want to vote for Mitt Romney.

• Options
    MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    According to the Invisible Children's 2011 990 filing, it took in $13,765,180 and spent $8,894,632, reporting the balance as assets. Some 80.5 percent of the organization's expenses went to education programs, awareness campaigns and grants to existing programs in Central Africa. Just over 16 percent went to administrative and management costs with the rest going to direct fundraising in 2011.

Of the administrative costs, approximately $1.4 million went towards employee salaries and general costs, with CEO Ben Keesey earning a salary of $88,241 and founder/filmmakers Jason Russell and Laren Poole taking home $89,669 and $84,377 respectively.

So really... they aren't doing that bad.

Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • Options
    gtrmpgtrmp Registered User regular
    MyDcmbr wrote: »
    According to the Invisible Children's 2011 990 filing, it took in $13,765,180 and spent $8,894,632, reporting the balance as assets. Some 80.5 percent of the organization's expenses went to education programs, awareness campaigns and grants to existing programs in Central Africa. Just over 16 percent went to administrative and management costs with the rest going to direct fundraising in 2011.

Of the administrative costs, approximately $1.4 million went towards employee salaries and general costs, with CEO Ben Keesey earning a salary of $88,241 and founder/filmmakers Jason Russell and Laren Poole taking home $89,669 and $84,377 respectively.

So really... they aren't doing that bad.

Funny how they conflate "awareness" (read: filmmaking/marketing) with actual aid to affected children. IC's spending on direct aid and assistance to affected children, separated from their self-promotion, accounts for only ~35% of their actual budget, versus ~45% for awareness campaigns, awareness-related merchandising, and filmmaking.

• Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    The thing is, I still don't actually understand how making a known war criminal currently being pursued by multiple state actors and hiding in the woods well-known in the west is going to do shit-all.

You could raise awareness of Slobodan Milosevic and it would be exactly as educational and exactly as likely to help lead to his prosecution.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Maybe he's hiding in America

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Kagera wrote: »
    Maybe he's hiding in America
    The games up, Kagony

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I mean real deals like the Red Cross and Medicines Sans Frontieres/Doctors Without Borders

...Well, I mean, in this specific case I do not see what donating to Medicines Sans Frontieres or the Red Cross will do. Both are excellent organizations, certainly, but neither are going to be involved in removing Joseph Kony from the proverbial chessboard.

The Hague issued a warrant for Kony's arrest back in 2004, and as far as I'm aware, he's more or less been on the run ever since. I'm surprised this issue has suddenly gained all of this attention: Kony has been largely rendered impotent, the LRA is in a state of disintegration and Uganda has a lot of other problems (not the least of which is a corrupt police state / theocracy that has been in place for over 2 decades, a terrifying prevalence of HIV and extreme levels of poverty).

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    You know you can help globally withou helping in one specific issue alone right?

• Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    You know you can help globally withou helping in one specific issue alone right?

Yes, of course: I just don't think MSF or the Red Cross are the correct organizations to point to when it comes to hoping for arrest / persecution with regards to war crimes.

With Love and Courage
  • Options
    The Ender wrote: »

Yes, of course: I just don't think MSF or the Red Cross are the correct organizations to point to when it comes to hoping for arrest / persecution with regards to war crimes.

I just think that's not the real goal of anyone outside of the kony 2012 people.

I think the real concern is with helping and improving of children's lives in Uganda and other impoverished nations.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    theyre invisible dude its not a crime

Sorry officer, she didn't look underage...

• Options
    OakeyOakey UKRegistered User regular
    Is it coincidence that Machine Gun Preacher comes out on general release this week? Becasue that's good timing.

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Invisible Children co-founder apprehended with his pants down - literally:

http://balloon-juice.com/2012/03/16/lets-not-be-quick-to-judge/

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular

Something seems terribly amiss here, to the point that this seems like a plot of bringing someone down by defamation of character.
    I may not agree entirely with Jason Russell's method of action, but there is another issue he is commanding that wields power.
    If Jason fails, more than just Kony would benefit.
    The idea of the many against the few, and occupy movements might take a blow and become somewhat disenfranchised to this sort of activism.
    At this point I'm trying to tread lightly on these eggshell issues by maintaining a balanced opinion where no side is completely right or wrong about this sort of activism. 

• Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Something seems terribly amiss here, to the point that this seems like a plot of bringing someone down by defamation of character.
    I may not agree entirely with Jason Russell's method of action, but there is another issue he is commanding that wields power.
    If Jason fails, more than just Kony would benefit.
    The idea of the many against the few, and occupy movements might take a blow and become somewhat disenfranchised to this sort of activism.
    At this point I'm trying to tread lightly on these eggshell issues by maintaining a balanced opinion where no side is completely right or wrong about this sort of activism. 

There's a fucking video of him going apeshit in the street. He's a scumbag.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    I'm not sure if that's entirely necessary, @Warcry. I've been hesitant to support this awareness campaign, but I can agree with the ends they're trying to achieve. We don't know the full story with Jason, and until we do, I think it would be proper to refrain from calling him something like a 'scumbag'.

It's incredibly unfortunate. Both for him and IC. That's how I feel right now, it's a terrible setback that will tarnish this campaign for a while. Whether or not you agree with them, this sucks.

• Options
    NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    @WarCry - It's convenient there just happened to be a recording of the event as it happened.

• Options
    Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    It's the 21st century, where cameras are on everything. It would be convenient if somehow no one caught that on tape.

By convenient I mean unlikely.

If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    You know... of all the stories I never expected to see take a hard veer into "running around the street in his underwear" or "banging his hands on the ground and screaming incoherently" or especially "naked and masturbating and screaming"...

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Sounds like typical frat boy behavior to me

• Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    New world order and Mason symbolism?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuB11d0Gog

This is weird stuff.
    Gosling wrote: »
    You know... of all the stories I never expected to see take a hard veer into "running around the street in his underwear" or "banging his hands on the ground and screaming incoherently" or especially "naked and masturbating and screaming"...

Isn't it beautiful? The best comedy writers in the world couldn't come up with this. It's so perfect.

rayofash on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    It's why my reading preferences go so strongly in the nonfiction direction. Fiction writers have to work within human imagination.

I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Sounds like typical frat boy behavior to me

This. Preying on people with an emotionally manipulative video filled with half-truths is a really shitty thing to do. And from his behavior, I'd say he went out and bought a fuckload of drugs and wigged out in celebration of just how gullible people are.

• Options
    It's why my reading preferences go so strongly in the nonfiction direction. Fiction writers have to work within human imagination.

I wish that moment could be hung in a museum.

• Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    No, don't you see guys? The Obama administration obviously drugged him.

I'm not sure what drug makes you run down the street in your underwear and randomly masturbate, but I"m sure they made one!!!!!

/poe

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/criticism-of-kony2012-video-brought-on-the-campaigners-naked-meltdown-his-wife-says/article2372124/

yes because when every rational person is faced with criticism their immediate reaction is to run on the street naked and pounding on the ground.

He must of been stressed out that people figured out the movement was bullshit.

• Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    So wait, is Kony not evil or something? I'm confused.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    dbrock270 wrote: »
    http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/criticism-of-kony2012-video-brought-on-the-campaigners-naked-meltdown-his-wife-says/article2372124/

yes because when every rational person is faced with criticism their immediate reaction is to run on the street naked and pounding on the ground.

He must of been stressed out that people figured out the movement was bullshit.

It's why no one at work will ever tell me my outfit doesn't match. Never again.

TheBlackWind on
    PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular

Sounds like he was going to leave some invisible children of his own on the street. Too soon?

But seriously, what a messed up turn to this whole thing. I think it's hard to cry "Conspiracy!" when there are literally videos of you masturbating in public.

• Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    So wait, is Kony not evil or something? I'm confused.

Vice did a pretty awesome article explaining things and I think it illustrates why this particular sentiment is irrelevant

http://www.vice.com/read/kony-baloney

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    mindspork wrote: »
    No, don't you see guys? The Obama administration obviously drugged him.

I'm not sure what drug makes you run down the street in your underwear and randomly masturbate, but I"m sure they made one!!!!!

/poe

Actually it's PCP, there are several videos of people on PCP doing exactly this.