Options

[Chat]ter than Shepard

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    So according to one of my friends, the university-wide grad student union at my old university had a general assembly during which the following votes took place:

1. A vote reaffirming the legitimacy of the grad student union: defeated.
    2. A vote upholding a decision by the university-wide grad student union president to respect the sovereignty of departmental grad student unions: defeated.
    3. A vote declaring a general grad student strike: overwhelmingly passed.

So this means that apparently students see their university-wide union as illegitimate but do not want it to respect the smaller departmental unions and are willing to obey its strike order.

W. T. F.

Grad Student Unions are Horse shit.

Horse shit, I say.

And I disagree. Student unions (including at the grad level) provide many useful services and group-bargains for students. I got optical and dental insurance coverage for a pittance of a cost back when I was a grad student thanks to them.

In fact when I graduated and became a contract lecturer at the same university, I lost all my insurance. I literally had worse healthcare insurance coverage as a university employee than I did as a student. Why? No union.

This shit, though, it makes no sense to me whatsoever.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Cass is a college student and she understands how the world works: just boil the water and put in the noodles.

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    So according to one of my friends, the university-wide grad student union at my old university had a general assembly during which the following votes took place:

2. A vote upholding a decision by the university-wide grad student union president to respect the sovereignty of departmental grad student unions: defeated.

So this means that apparently students see their university-wide union as illegitimate but do not want it to respect the smaller departmental unions and are willing to obey its strike order.

W. T. F.

Horse shit, I say.

And I disagree. Student unions (including at the grad level) provide many useful services and group-bargains for students. I got optical and dental insurance coverage for a pittance of a cost back when I was a grad student thanks to them.

In fact when I graduated and became a contract lecturer at the same university, I lost all my insurance. I literally had worse healthcare insurance coverage as a university employee than I did as a student. Why? No union.

wait what

you got insurance from them?

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

W. T. F.

Horse shit, I say.

Ok.

SOME Grad Student Unions are Horse shit.

Horse shit, i say.

• Options
    Why are they striking?

What will the strike entail?

I don't know why, but if I were to wager a guess my money would be that the government wants to increase tuition costs. The Québec Government, like every other government, faces budget shortfalls, and student tuition in Québec are the lowest in Canada, and students don't vote anyway.

Grad students are used as TAs, so a strike would entail no TAing. They might stop doing their research too. But that would be stupid of them, since they need to finish their research to graduate before their funding runs out and they starve, and the strike will neither magically make them stop spending money on rent and food nor will it magically increase their funding since, as far as I know, the student union doesn't have a strike fund to financially support students during a strike. Then again, the combined result of tonight's three votes can't be described with any word other than "stupid", so maybe they'll do that too, I don't know.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    I absolutely fucking love it when other people put words in my mouth

Just my favorite thing ever

• Options
    Elldren wrote: »

W. T. F.

Horse shit, I say.

wait what

Yes. They negotiated a pretty nice bulk student health insurance plan with minimum premiums from Manulife Insurance. All grad students were automatically signed up (you had the option to opt out at the beginning of the year) and the premiums were bundled with our student union fees.

sig.gif
  • Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote: »
    I just had to explain to my lady friend why "different philosophers have thought different things" doesn't mean "ethics is all just your opinion, man".

That was...special.

what are the right ethics, _j_

Spinoza's Ethics

book-on-genealogy-morals-ecce-homo.jpg

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Eddy wrote: »
    I just had to explain to my lady friend why "different philosophers have thought different things" doesn't mean "ethics is all just your opinion, man".

That was...special.

Spinoza's Ethics

NO!

BAD!

WE DO THAT OUTSIDE!

BAD!

• Options

Sometimes I put pizza in people's mouth.

Just like, "Hey, I thought you'd enjoy this."

• Options

They're only other people's words if someone quickly got onto your account and posted very wrongheaded things about prison rape.

Cause

you know

I posted your quote right there.

• Options

That was...special.

Spinoza's Ethics

My best guess is that this is a story about a gay tree.

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular

That was...special.

Spinoza's Ethics

spinoza_practical.jpg?w=480

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    How do you feel about dicks in your mouth Salvation

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    ok when I made the dick joke I didn't know this was spawned from the prison rape topic

I apologize

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »

W. T. F.

Horse shit, I say.

wait what

Yes. They negotiated a pretty nice bulk student health insurance plan with minimum premiums from Manulife Insurance. All grad students were automatically signed up (you had the option to opt out at the beginning of the year) and the premiums were bundled with our student union fees.

That is slick. Rather too slick for a student union.

• Options
    HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Anyone on PC up for Mass Effect 3?

@bloodyroarxx

Yes, sir. I am.

HappylilElf on
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular

I love it when you call me big poppa

• Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular

I understand what you mean in that thread

I'm just not going to touch it with a ten foot pole

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options

That was...special.

Spinoza's Ethics

My best guess is that this is a story about a gay tree.

Nope. This one is about a gay tree:

The-Gay-Science-by-Friedrich-Nietzsche-free-PDF-Ebook-203x300.jpg

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    hmm... what to do this evening

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

They're only other people's words if someone quickly got onto your account and posted very wrongheaded things about prison rape.

Cause

you know

And then ignored the post immediately after Jeep's that said "Yes, I consider prison rape real rape and never said otherwise"

So

You know

Fuck off

• Options
    Podly wrote: »

That was...special.

Spinoza's Ethics

spinoza_practical.jpg?w=480

I've never read that.

What is the ratio of Deleuzian horseshit to Spinozistic awesomeness?

• Options
    Rape topics bring out the best in everyone

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »

There's a 'tipping thread' joke to be made, but...

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Wasn't there a moratorium on rape threads

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

There's a 'tipping thread' joke to be made, but...

a just the tip thread

• Options
    simonwolf wrote: »

I love it when you call me big poppa

Baby, I'm gonna butter yo bread

• Options
    CokebotleCokebotle 穴掘りの 電車内Registered User regular
    So there's this SyFy Neverland special?

And the guy who played Smee in the original Hook movie is playing Smee in this series? Man, talk about being type-casted.

工事中
  • Options

Cause

you know

And then ignored the post immediately after Jeep's that said "Yes, I consider prison rape real rape and never said otherwise"

So

You know

Fuck off

keep your whatever this is in the Infraction Trap not in chat.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    oh _J_

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited March 2012
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

Cause

you know

So

You know

Fuck off

Is that what we are calling those threads now?

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    DoctorArch wrote: »

Cause

you know

So

You know

Fuck off

Is that what we are calling those threads now?

That's what I calls em anyway.

And this one has been most productive from what I have seen of the aftermath.

edit: And I rather like the concept. After the first few salvos back and forth, it should be obvious what the result is going to be. And anyone who either can't recognize that or chooses to keep posting anyway deserves what they gets.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    Let's just agree that we should just repeal the Nineteenth Amendment, and leave it at that.

• Options
    Let's just agree that we should just repeal the Nineteenth Amendment, and leave it at that.

do you WANT rick santorum in office?

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2012
    i'm so fucking sad that dude carried states in a primary

Organichu on
  • Options

do you WANT rick santorum in office?

I'm completely against people - especially people who ain't born yet - from sufferin', and "women's suffrage" being in the constitution is absolutely sickening.

• Options
    i'm so fucking sad that dude carried states in a primary

but both parties are totally the same maaaaaaan

and we totally need to respect the republicans despite everything they've said and done because something something discourse civil wankery echo chamber.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
This discussion has been closed.