As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    In today's addition of Mitt Romney not understand how normal people live: http://thinkprogress.org/health/2012/03/20/447919/romney-vote-for-other-guy-contraception/
    During a town hall in Illinois Monday evening, the former Massachusetts governor told a voter to “vote for the other guy” if she wanted access to “free birth control” and said that the federal government should not subsidize women’s health care through Planned Parenthood:

Q: I’m just wondering where you would suggest that the millions of women who receive their health services, such as mammograms, and HPV vaccines go?

ROMNEY: Well, they could go wherever they’d like to go — this is a free society. But here is what I say, which is the federal government should not tax these people to pay for Planned Parenthood. There are a lot of things that we have in our society that we may like, that we might not like, but that government should not be paying for.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Let them eat healthcare cake!

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2emBxDOY7g

Making the rounds on Facebook.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    xraydog wrote: »
    Oh Illinois...

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/3c02ff61579f4100af6718c7337c1be1/IL--Illinois-Primary-Ballots/
    CHICAGO — Election officials say nearly a quarter of Illinois counties and the city of Aurora are reporting that some primary ballots are too large and don't fit into scanning machines.

She says the vendor has said other countries are having similar problems during Tuesday's primary.

Jane Gasperin (GAS'-per-in) of the Illinois State Board of Elections says all votes will be counted, but tallying may go slower than usual in affected counties.

She says ballots from two vendors are causing problems in 24 counties. But not all precincts in those counties are affected. Some ballots are fine, even in the affected precincts.

Counties reporting ballot size problems are: Winnebago, Vermilion, Iroquois, Douglas, Knox, Grundy, McLean, Warren, Lee, Bond, Bureau, Christian, Clark, Coles, DeWitt, DuPage, Edgar, Macon, Macoupin, Moultrie, Putnam, Rock Island, Shelby and Tazewell.
    If nothing else, this primary makes me think the Republicans really need to start instituting higher standards.

• Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Over cheesecake? Do you really want someone like that with his finger on the button?

I can't stand cheesecake. But if I was in Romney's position I would walk into that store, proclaim loudly that I was there for the best damned cheesecake on the planet, and ENJOY THE FUCK OUT OF IT where people could see me.

And then afterwards go barf in private.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Over cheesecake? Do you really want someone like that with his finger on the button?

I can't stand cheesecake. But if I was in Romney's position I would walk into that store, proclaim loudly that I was there for the best damned cheesecake on the planet, and ENJOY THE FUCK OUT OF IT where people could see me.

Well that's just another reason I'll never vote for you for president, Bri.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    mindsporkmindspork Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Oh Illinois...

http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/3c02ff61579f4100af6718c7337c1be1/IL--Illinois-Primary-Ballots/
    CHICAGO — Election officials say nearly a quarter of Illinois counties and the city of Aurora are reporting that some primary ballots are too large and don't fit into scanning machines.

She says the vendor has said other countries are having similar problems during Tuesday's primary.

Jane Gasperin (GAS'-per-in) of the Illinois State Board of Elections says all votes will be counted, but tallying may go slower than usual in affected counties.

She says ballots from two vendors are causing problems in 24 counties. But not all precincts in those counties are affected. Some ballots are fine, even in the affected precincts.

Counties reporting ballot size problems are: Winnebago, Vermilion, Iroquois, Douglas, Knox, Grundy, McLean, Warren, Lee, Bond, Bureau, Christian, Clark, Coles, DeWitt, DuPage, Edgar, Macon, Macoupin, Moultrie, Putnam, Rock Island, Shelby and Tazewell.
    If nothing else, this primary makes me think the Republicans really need to start instituting higher standards.

How do you institute higher standards for the people you're hiring, when you're arguing that more education means that you're a liberal elitist, and because of that, are not a "True Republican"?

• Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular

This is what I was thinking, although I would probably tell them that Im not a fan of cheesecake. And then Id let their cheesecake change my mind about cheesecake. Then Id go vomit somewhere the cameras couldnt see me.

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Well, Bri and emp, you have each found a way to go beyond even Mitt Romney in pandering for votes.

Congratulations?

• Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    emp123 wrote: »

This is what I was thinking, although I would probably tell them that Im not a fan of cheesecake. And then Id let their cheesecake change my mind about cheesecake. Then Id go vomit somewhere the cameras couldnt see me.

Maybe that's what he wanted to avoid. See, if it had been any other candidate, people would say, "Wow, that must be good cheesecake," and savvy people would say "Well he knows how to get on peoples' good side, at least." But with Romney, if he said something like, "Wow. Oh, wow. Y'know, I've never been a big fan of cheesecake, but suddenly I think I'm a fan of cheescake," people would say he was pandering with a side of flip-flop.

Now if he honestly doesn't like cheesecake what he should have bloody done is just ordered a cheesecake without great fanfare, eaten a bit in the store, and said he hopes it lasts until he can share it with his family. But the "You have converted me" trick is the last thing Romney should have done, because he already has an image problem with regard to inconsistency.

Or maybe, if he honestly doesn't like cheesecake, he should have said "To be honest I don't like cheesecake but I hear your cupcakes are just as good." Then maybe he could be coaxed into trying it and he could say that it is the best cheesecake he's ever had. It would probably be seen as tone-deaf, going to a world-famous cheesecakery and saying he doesn't like cheesecake, but he's already seen as tone-deaf and it would be honest and the honesty part of his image desperately needs buffing and I can't believe I just wrote this post talking about Mitt Romney and fucking cheesecake fuck you modern election process you are killing democracy by inches.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    Oh Illinois...

That's an issue at the county level rather than having anything to do with the GOP and is almost certainly due to the fact that we have non-standard voting rules/design guidelines across the country leading to competing firms and formats &c. offering the same basic thing only somewhat different so they can screw you. Some clerk ordered the ballots probably because they were the cheapest option available without realizing it was sized differently. Hell, I didn't even get a damn sticker because of cuts and they cost like a buck/1,000.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    So going back a bit, who are Americans Elect, and why should we care about them, at all?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    emp123 wrote: »

Maybe that's what he wanted to avoid. See, if it had been any other candidate, people would say, "Wow, that must be good cheesecake," and savvy people would say "Well he knows how to get on peoples' good side, at least." But with Romney, if he said something like, "Wow. Oh, wow. Y'know, I've never been a big fan of cheesecake, but suddenly I think I'm a fan of cheescake," people would say he was pandering with a side of flip-flop.

Now if he honestly doesn't like cheesecake what he should have bloody done is just ordered a cheesecake without great fanfare, eaten a bit in the store, and said he hopes it lasts until he can share it with his family. But the "You have converted me" trick is the last thing Romney should have done, because he already has an image problem with regard to inconsistency.

Or maybe, if he honestly doesn't like cheesecake, he should have said "To be honest I don't like cheesecake but I hear your cupcakes are just as good." Then maybe he could be coaxed into trying it and he could say that it is the best cheesecake he's ever had. It would probably be seen as tone-deaf, going to a world-famous cheesecakery and saying he doesn't like cheesecake, but he's already seen as tone-deaf and it would be honest and the honesty part of his image desperately needs buffing and I can't believe I just wrote this post talking about Mitt Romney and fucking cheesecake fuck you modern election process you are killing democracy by inches.

Well of course it wouldnt go down like:
    "Im here to buy some cheesecake, even though I fucking hate cheesecake."
    nom nom nom
    "Thats some fucking good cheesecake, I love cheesecake now."

I figure you could play it off like:
    "We were in the area and my wife has been trying to get me to eat cheesecake, and I hear this place has the best cheesecake in the country so I figured if Im going to try it might as well try the best."
    nom nom nom
    "I dont know about other cheesecake, but this cheesecake is pretty fucking good."

Maybe with less fucks.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    So going back a bit, who are Americans Elect, and why should we care about them, at all?

They are a group of rich motherfuckers with an "internet primary" that they're going to rig to prevent Ron Paul from winning. They require their Presidential candidate and Vice Presidential candidate be from opposite parties (so think, like, Bayh-Snowe). They also have managed to get on the ballot in most states. Their major goal is to gut the social safety net and hand that money to rich people balance the budget. Basically, it's a coalition of spineless plutocrats that look like an unholy alliance of Blue Dogs and the four moderate Republicans left in this country.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    SammyF wrote: »
    Well, Bri and emp, you have each found a way to go beyond even Mitt Romney in pandering for votes.

Congratulations?

Image control is a fundamental skill in world politics, and I will recognize that it is necessary.

I most assuredly DO NOT want another US president to get a shoe thrown at him in some foreign country.

It is good for the American peoples of all political stripes when the world at large does not hate the public face of your country.

• Options

This election's perennial group of powerful moderate centrists who are obsessed with the Presidency trying to fix our broken political system by playing musical chairs rather than actually trying to fix the broken political system.

Ie: they're trying to create a 'fusion' ticket with a Democrat/Republican or Republican/Democrat running as a third party in November.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »

oh sweet merciful monkey jesus on a triscuit.

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    moniker wrote: »
    This election's perennial group of powerful moderate centrists who are obsessed with the Presidency trying to fix our broken political system by playing musical chairs rather than actually trying to fix the broken political system.

Ie: they're trying to create a 'fusion' ticket with a Democrat/Republican or Republican/Democrat running as a third party in November.
    If only we'd thought to try that sometime before now. I'm sure it would work out great.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Just like it did the first election, which is why we stopped doing that long before the country turned 10 years old?

Edit: I realize that Thanatos was being sarcastic, but I was just mainly looking for confirmation on my grasp of early US politics.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    Thanatos wrote: »

If only we'd thought to try that sometime before now. I'm sure it would work out great.

Hey, a Republican/Democrat ticket won the Civil War!*

*And lost Reconstruction

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular

*And lost Reconstruction
    Have you been paying attention to the news lately?

I'm not so sure that I would call that a "victory" for us.

• Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular

*And lost Reconstruction

Grant almost saved it.

If you ignore the rampant corruption, he was a pretty good President. Super racially progressive.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Congratulations?

Image control is a fundamental skill in world politics, and I will recognize that it is necessary.

I most assuredly DO NOT want another US president to get a shoe thrown at him in some foreign country.

It is good for the American peoples of all political stripes when the world at large does not hate the public face of your country.

See, you're thinking that George W. Bush receiving a pair of free Reeboks at 30 mph is the worst that can happen in foreign relations, but his father reminds us that eating the proverbial cheesecake can come with consequences of its own.

SammyF on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    Just like it did the first election, which is why we stopped doing that long before the country turned 10 years old?

Edit: I realize that Thanatos was being sarcastic, but I was just mainly looking for confirmation on my grasp of early US politics.

It was 1804 when they came up with the 12th amendment which fixed those shenanigans.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Sooo, this is a thing as well. That makes my dreary day, and should become a campaign song, tbh.

Amazing.

• Options
    Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Congratulations?

See, you're thinking that George W. Bush receiving a pair of free Reeboks at 30 mph is the worst that can happen in foreign relations, but his father reminds us that eating the proverbial cheesecake can come with consequences of its own.

I don't know..he seemed to handle the shoe thing about as well as anyone could have. I think getting outwitted by a door on his chinese trip was far worse. Or when he randomly decided to give Angela Merkel a surprise shoulder rub.

Dark_Side on
  • Options
    Taramoor wrote: »

That video made me facepalm. I actually stopped counting after the third time, barely a minute in. A recap for those who didn't dare, along with some tangents. Only barely related to the thread in that it's my thoughts on an on-topic video posted in the thread. I wrote this as I watched it, pausing to get thoughts down, so it's kind of stream of consciousness, and I spoiled it because looooong.
    First the "founded as a Christian nation" part. Stop spreading that canard. It is a falsehood. The commandment may not be worded "Thou shalt not lie", but close enough. The worst is "I don't care what anyone says". In short, you don't care about facts and history if they disagree with what you've already made up your mind about.

Second, the standing o. Really? Has the Christian persecution complex gotten to the point where you can say the absolute basic tenet of your faith (and get it wrong) and people will give you a standing ovation for your bravery? The worst part is that all the people who remained sitting looked very elderly and that was probably the only reason they weren't standing, because they were applauding heartily.

Third, "I'm tired of people telling me I can't say those words." Who? Name one. Name one fucking person. I will call you a liar, you disingenuous tub of mayonnaise. And then, "If you don't love America, if you don't like the way we do things, I got one thing to say. GET OUT." Well, clearly you don't like the way America is doing things, so why don't you, ya hypocrite?

And then he goes on to denigrate other religions, and also gets points wrong about them too.

Then we get a timeskip, which thank you, anything so that I don't have to hear as much of this guy's mad ranting.

So then he goes on to "the church must be the conscience of the nation, the state, the local community", which fine, whatever, a lot of people see their religion as their moral guide. And then he suddenly goes into abortion.

I hold that most people who think that abortion is killing a baby are hypocrites or cowards. If you believe that, if you really believe that, then stop them. (Believe it or not, I have the tiniest modicum of respect for people who murdered abortion doctors, in that they held a belief that they followed logically to its conclusion--which is a pretty big feat for a religious fanatic: by killing one person they were saving the lives of uncounted numbers of children.) If you aren't doing anything to stop them, not this namby-pamby restricting access bullshit but raising challenges against the legality of abortion itself or doing the vigilante thing, you don't really believe that. You consider it to be true, but it's not really a belief, you cowards. You believe that by bringing this issue up you can secure for yourselves a hard core of voters, but you don't actually want the issue solved, or else next election cycle they'll stay at home.

Although at least he started with abortion, which from his POV is doubtless the worst. Then he goes into "sexual perversion being normalized", blah blah hate them fags. Then he brings up the "children cannot pray in public schools", "children cannot pray in public places", which again, bullshit, citation needed. And the weird thing is, he equates "God forgive us/have mercy on us" with "taking a stand". I've already made the point, but I'll put it more plainly: prayer is not taking a stand, you coward.

Then he's back to traditional marriage, etc., which leads me to think that the sexual perversion he was talking about was "anything but lights-out missionary for the purpose of makin' babies", which whatever, you probably like your wife to tie you to the roof of your car and drive you around the woods so you get whipped by the tree branches. So now it's blah blah hate them fags. Oh look! He says "Someone needs to take a stand and say NO!" Apparently you can hear my thoughts through that magical yootoobs machine. Congratulations for understanding what taking a stand means.

Also that dude near the front row who was one of the first to stand and was wearing a light spring jacket that looked like the American flag, lol. I could go on a tangent about him, but I won't.

(By the way, sir, have you noticed that when you say "Take a stand" and "God have mercy", you just get applause, but when you say "Take a stand" and "say no!", people stand up?

Maybe you should re-examine your priorities. Those fags aren't going anywhere, but the babies are gettin' killed daily. Finish with the abortion and equate taking a stand with saying no and you wouldn't look like half the sacless chickenshit you are.)

Another time skip this time presumably for the standing O to die down. And now he's on to the economy. "I believe Christians in America is the key to the economy turning around." Which...you think America should be a communist state? Or at least socialist? Aren't you introducing the man who thinks Vatican II was the work of soppy liberal commie pinko sociamalism, Rick Santorum?

And then, I have to think, he makes a slip. "I believe that Christians in America are the key to the jobless rate continuing to go down." In other words, he can lie about history, persecution, and how much he really cares about legal abortion save as a way to control the wombs of women. But he can't help himself from admitting the economy is improving. Which...really tells you he's either a bad public speaker, and I think he is, or he cares more about corporate America, which I wouldn't be surprised if it was also true.

Anyway, he then goes on to say that he thinks the economy is a spiritual thing, and I really don't get how you can get spiritual about the dismal science...and then he says something that leaves me slack-jawed.

"Put God back in our pulpits." ...does this guy even speak English or is he using some secret moon language? I understand that a pulpit isn't necessarily used for sermonizing, but FFS, it's specifically the speakers' stand in a Christian church. If God isn't there already, whitebread, YOU ARE DOING YOUR JOB HORRIBLY WRONG.

Not even forty seconds left, though, so I might as well keep gong. He goes on about putting God back in homes (which, again, if you're a Christian family and he's not there...), in our schools (NO) and in Washington (I think He's already there, else why would so many fanatics hold office), and if that's done the Holy Spirit will come down and they will be able to do mighty things in America. And for some reason, I ignore the stupidity of that statement, and laugh, because when he finishes he's posed like he's a fucking figure skater who just finished a routine. And then he does everything but bow. He's a fucking performer. He's a mime, putting on a show. I hate this fat rich willfully ignorant shitheel but I can't help but laugh at how transparent he should be, and how his audience just eats it up.

And then we see Santorum, standing, but clapping without much energy or enthusiasm. I have to wonder if even he is thinking, "How the fuck did I find common cause with these people?"

His chair looks like a throne.

In case you're wondering, it took me about twenty minutes to write that while watching a three-minute video.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Shadowen wrote: »
    And then we see Santorum, standing, but clapping without much energy or enthusiasm. I have to wonder if even he is thinking, "How the fuck did I find common cause with these people?"

He believes what they believe.

Perhaps he could try believing something else.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    You missed the first facepalm, Shadowen. at about 20 seconds in. Where the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is Jesus.

but yeah.

The best part of that video is Santorum only sort of clapping with that look of wonder on his face. It almost looks like fear.

• Options
    That was the second one. The standing ovation for professing a basic tenet of faith...and getting it wrong.

• Options
    You missed the first facepalm, Shadowen. at about 20 seconds in. Where the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob is Jesus.

but yeah.

The best part of that video is Santorum only sort of clapping with that look of wonder on his face. It almost looks like fear.

Lol, right?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Ah. Gotcha. Carry on then!

• Options

*And lost Reconstruction

Grant almost saved it.

If you ignore the rampant corruption, he was a pretty good President. Super racially progressive.

Yeah, he gets too overshadowed for liking whiskey. And, honestly, I can't blame a President for liking whiskey. Whiskey is tasty. At least somebody at Treasury cared enough to put him on the $50 so people have to remember he exists.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    "There is one God; his name is Jesus."

... Actually Jesus is the son of God.

But y'know. Details.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »

But y'know. Details.
    And what's up with that holy ghost thing anyway?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

But y'know. Details.

The idea behind the Trinity is that Jesus is 'One in being with the Father' (or 'consubstantial' if you want to get rid of the poetry of mass like certain sith Popes) so...yeah. I'm not sure what point you guys are trying to make?

• Options

but yeah.

I was half listening while it ran, so my mind got caught filling in the blanks: "The God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, the God of Jacob, and his name is Jehovwhaaaaat?"

• Options
    edited March 2012
    oohh. look what's going around on my youtubes! Facebooks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1BjsI4HS9w

sigh. *facepalm and sigh*

lonelyahava on
  • Options
    ...I haven't started watching that. Anyone want another stream of consciousness rant that will take half an hour? I can't guarnatee it will be even half as good, and calling the first good is already stretching things.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

But y'know. Details.

The idea behind the Trinity is that Jesus is 'One in being with the Father' (or 'consubstantial' if you want to get rid of the poetry of mass like certain sith Popes) so...yeah. I'm not sure what point you guys are trying to make?

Jesus isn't the name of God anyhow.