As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GOP Primaries] WI, MD, DC 4/3. Sponsored by cheese, crab cakes, and murder, respectively.

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    So last week Santorum won first and Romney was a third-place candidate, and this week Romney crushes Santorum?

This is ridiculous.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The stock far-right mindset is easy to understand when you realize that the foundation for all their positions is that A) life always sucks, and B) it's because other people are fucking it up, and C) we need to set those fuckers straight, because D) even if they aren't actively fucking it up, THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

I'm pretty sure this is the entirety of Santorum's platform.

Don't forget burning everything to the ground if they can't get what they want.

Harry Dresden on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    Richy wrote: »
    So last week Santorum won first and Romney was a third-place candidate, and this week Romney crushes Santorum?

This is ridiculous.

There are some pretty significant demographic and ideological differences between Illinois and the South's wicked sisters. Alabama and Mississippi are both very rural with a few small cities. Illinois also has some very rural areas and a few small cities, but its electorate is dominated by the metropolis of Chicago. The county level results in basically every state so far has demonstrated that Romney generally outperforms his statewide result in urban and suburban areas, while Santorum outperforms his result in more rural areas. Moreoever, voters who answered exit polls during the 2008 primary in Alabama and Mississippi were much more likely to be evangelicals than voters in other states, so those were contests where Santorum could make a social issues appeal to suburban and urban voters in those states to prevent Romney from running up the sort of margin in population-dense counties, but that same strategy wasn't going to work as effectively with Republicans in Chicago and the collar counties.

The voting patterns make sense, is what I'm trying to communicate. It's getting to the point where new polls aren't really telling us much that we shouldn't already be able to extrapolate.

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    One thing that surprises me is that Latinos are moving towards African-American numbers when it comes to Obama v. Romney*. I know there has been crazy talk during the debates and the state-level GOP representatives have been filthy, along with many of their constituents. But has rhetoric and proposed legislation been that bad, really? I'm not complaining, mind! With a presumably higher Latino turnout and with anything close to a 70-14 Obama margin, Romney would need to win a fuckload of other states where Latinos are not a factor. Rubio is not a possible VP pick either.

*70-14 in a Fox News Latino poll!**
    **McCain got 31%!

Absalon on
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Absalon wrote: »
    One thing that surprises me is that Latinos are moving towards African-American numbers when it comes to Obama v. Romney*. I know there has been crazy talk during the debates and the state-level GOP representatives have been filthy, along with many of their constituents. But has rhetoric and proposed legislation been that bad, really? I'm not complaining, mind! With a presumably higher Latino turnout and with anything close to a 70-14 Obama margin, Romney would need to win a fuckload of other states where Latinos are not a factor. Rubio is not a possible VP pick either.

*70-14 in a Fox News Latino poll!**
    **McCain got 31%!

Yes.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Ron Paul called Secret Service welfare. *facepalm*
    "You’re having the taxpayers pay to take care of somebody," Paul told the late night host. "I’m an ordinary citizen and I would think I should pay for my own protection.”
    THE POLICE AND ARMY DO THAT ALL THE TIME YOU RETARD

Couscous on
  • Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    It exists for the welfare of the people they protect. He's technically correct I suppose.

edit: It's government funded too. Holy shit it IS government welfare!

Sticks on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    Does he know that secret service also safeguards the currency?

• Options
    centraldogmacentraldogma Registered User regular
    Couscous wrote: »
    "You’re having the taxpayers pay to take care of somebody," Paul told the late night host. "I’m an ordinary citizen and I would think I should pay for my own protection.”

I think that's his point. Why should he get the extra protection of the secret service above what private citizens receive?

Do 3rd party candidates (ie. Those running for the Green party) receive secret service? I would have a problem if only Republican and Democrat nominees were afforded privileges that 3rd parties were not.

When people unite together, they become stronger than the sum of their parts.
    Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding.
  • Options
    I think that's his point. Why should he get the extra protection of the secret service above what private citizens receive?
    Because they are more likely to get shot at.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular

Do 3rd party candidates (ie. Those running for the Green party) receive secret service? I would have a problem if only Republican and Democrat nominees were afforded privileges that 3rd parties were not.

haha, NOPE

Also I think this is referencing one of the daughters going to Oaxaca?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular

They also handle a lot of cybercrime, due to their experience.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Romney wrote:
    The government would have banned Thomas Edison's light bulb, oh by the way they just did.
    Because god forbid a much better improvement comes along and is replaced because of a requirement to meet efficiency standards. It isn't like inefficiency contributes to millions of deaths from a global catastrophe like global warming.

Couscous on
  • Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    Bring back lead paint!

• Options
    edited March 2012

But that isn’t the only qualification. Beyonce isn’t receiving secret service protection, nor is Selena Gomez who has received death threats.

If the qualification for getting secret service protection is being a candidate for president from one of the two major parties, I think I have a problem with that. The two major parties should not be receiving favorable treatment from the government.

Now I don’t know if that’s why Ron Paul has a problem with them. I didn’t read the rest of his statement.

centraldogma on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

But that isn’t the only qualification. Beyonce isn’t receiving secret service protection, nor is Selena Gomez who has received death threats.

If the qualification for getting secret service protection is being a candidate for president from one of the two major parties, I think I have a problem with that. The two major parties should not be receiving favorable treatment from the government.

Now I don’t know if that’s why Ron Paul has a problem with them. I didn’t read the rest of his statement.

After RFK, we extended the protection to strong candidates.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Celebrities have nothing on politicians as far as assassination attempts. Government officials are also far more important to the country.

Couscous on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

The currency that's worthless because it's founded on magic?

I think it's safe to assume when the question "Does Ron Paul know/understand X" about the government comes up the answer is no.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    All major candidates receive protection. Third parties can get it if they are reasonably big. Let's face it, nobody gave a shit about whatever third parties there were in 2008.

• Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Celebrities have nothing on politicians as far as assassination attempts. Government officials are also far more important to the country.

Take one look at voter turnout, then at Jersey Shore ratings.

I don't think government is considered all that important to this country.

• Options
    Popularity does not determine importance.

• Options
    Houn wrote: »

My dad didn't consider eating lots of fruits and veg to be very important, that didn't stop the heart attack.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

I'm pretty sure he's talking about one of the daughters going on a trip to Oaxaca.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular

Do you know why Romney, a candidate, is receiving Secret Service protection? Because people are insane and kill the fuck out of people over disagreements. Or worse, they'll try to kill someone because they're trying to impress a Hollywood star.

This is why Ron Paul isn't taken seriously. He doesn't weigh the options, the issues, the good or the bad. He's credited for sticking to his guns (metaphorically), but it's to a fault. There will always be exceptions to things in life, and this is one of those things. "PEOPLE SHOULDN'T PAY FOR OTHER PEOPLE." Even in his head, there exist exceptions. But he doesn't speak of them because then his house of cards will come tumbling down.

• Options
    All major candidates receive protection. Third parties can get it if they are reasonably big. Let's face it, nobody gave a shit about whatever third parties there were in 2008.

In the context of Herman Cain and Ron Paul being able to receive secret service protection?

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

Take one look at how many people buy apples, then look at how many people look at oranges.

I don't think apples are considered all that important to this country.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular

Romney should pay for his own bodyguards.

He can afford them.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    The stock far-right mindset is easy to understand when you realize that the foundation for all their positions is that A) life always sucks, and B) it's because other people are fucking it up, and C) we need to set those fuckers straight, because D) even if they aren't actively fucking it up, THINK ABOUT THE CHILDREN.

Don't forget burning everything to the ground if they can't get what they want.

Oh, heaven forfend I do that.

It's mindboggling that one of Romney's most sticky attacks against Santorum is that Ol' Frothy voted in favor of raising the debt ceiling. The Teapers eat that shit up like fish food.

". . . and my opponent here voted to NOT send the country into a death-spiral nightmare of financial default meltdown which would destroy the world with utter certainty!"

"BOOOOOOOOOOOO!"

• Options
    This is why candidates need Secret Service protection. To deny this need is to deny reality.

This is the least CONSPIRACY! video I could find:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRJC9bWTIz4

Yes another instance of Ron Paul not knowing what the fuck he's talking about.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »

Take one look at how many people buy apples, then look at how many people look at oranges.

Importance is a subjective term of valuation. Governance is not important to the majority of the American populace. Governance and Government Officials do, however, have a great deal of impact on the lives of the American populace.

Just want to make sure we're not confusing the two.

• Options
    Bagginses wrote: »

Importance is a subjective term of valuation. Governance is not important to the majority of the American populace. Governance and Government Officials do, however, have a great deal of impact on the lives of the American populace.

Just want to make sure we're not confusing the two.

THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK ON HOUN

If you don't think the government and who works in it and for it is more important than the Jersey Shore, I'm sorry, you're a fucking idiot. I realize that many people in this country fit into that category, but it is hardly an important point to bring up in the context of this question.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular

You forgot about Karma. Its a big part of their mindset. If your life sucks its because God/Karma wants it to suck. To turn your life around, suck up to God/Karma and every pesky thing will fix itself. Even Terminal Cancer.

Government Welfare is not sucking up to God, therefore its evil. Unless you believe in God, then its okay and totally not a handout.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Candidates who receive Secret Service protection are chosen by a combination of a House committee and the Secretary of Homeland Security. Ron Paul is--as usual--completely fucking retarded. We protect our political candidates because it is vital and important to a representative democracy that your political candidates can actually, you know, run for office without being fucking murdered.

God, his level of disconnect from reality and his complete lack of understanding of modern political science is truly fucking appalling for someone running to be president. Jesus fucking Christ.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Santorum gets 10 delegates and Romney gets 41. This is enough to warrant a headline of "Romney holds his ground".

Everyone admits that it's "difficult" for Santorum to win, but nobody seems to want to say how difficult. The delegate math is pretty crushing at this point.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Santorum gets 10 delegates and Romney gets 41. This is enough to warrant a headline of "Romney holds his ground".

Everyone admits that it's "difficult" for Santorum to win, but nobody seems to want to say how difficult. The delegate math is pretty crushing at this point.

ABC was pretty good on this: Romney needs 47% of future delegates while Santorum needs 63%, if memory serves. If there is a high proportion of Sanatorium-friendly states from here on out and Gingrich manages to have all his delegates transferred to Santorum at the convention. Basically, imagine a state where all the cities have sent in their results but we're still waiting on the boonies.

• Options
    JihadJesusJihadJesus Registered User regular
    They all keep hoping for just not letting Romney get the magic number, as if the party won't make damn he sure wins it immediately with unpledged delegates anyway.

Buy hey, I'm all for this getting dragged out as long as possible. Keep fighting the good fight you poor doomed wacky bastards!

• Options
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/democrats-flip-after-romney-advisors-compares-campaign-to-etch-a-sketch.php?ref=fpa
    ...Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom today about how his candidate plans to handle the general election.

Fehrnstrom was asked on CNN Wednesday whether he was concerned that Romney’s prolonged fight with Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum would force him to “tack so far to the right it would hurt him with moderate voters in the general election.”

“Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign,” Fehrnstrom responded. “Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch-A-Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again.”
    How are they so fucking bad at this?

• Options
    AbsalonAbsalon Lands of Always WinterRegistered User regular
    Another ad for the general. "Romney was prepared to say anything to get votes from republican primary voters, and now he calls himself a centrist. What makes you think he is being honest now?"

• Options
    SticksSticks I'd rather be in bed.Registered User regular
    http://2012.talkingpointsmemo.com/2012/03/democrats-flip-after-romney-advisors-compares-campaign-to-etch-a-sketch.php?ref=fpa
    ...Romney spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom today about how his candidate plans to handle the general election.

Fehrnstrom was asked on CNN Wednesday whether he was concerned that Romney’s prolonged fight with Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum would force him to “tack so far to the right it would hurt him with moderate voters in the general election.”

“Well, I think you hit a reset button for the fall campaign,” Fehrnstrom responded. “Everything changes. It’s almost like an Etch-A-Sketch. You can kind of shake it up and restart all of over again.”

"Wait, you're filming this? Turn that fucking camera off!"

• Options
    RozRoz Boss of InternetRegistered User regular

Because the Romney campaign fires people who attempt to adhere to concepts like "reality" and "winning".