As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I wonder if [chat] remembers me

• Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    It's not as though Miss Universe contestants ever really go on to do anything grand, so hopefully the attention leads her to better opportunities elsewhere.

And, as always, donald trump can go fuck himself.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    J that video is good I'm glad you mentioned it and I'm glad it was posted.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    It's not as though Miss Universe contestants ever really go on to do anything grand, so hopefully the attention leads her to better opportunities elsewhere.

And, as always, donald trump can go fuck himself.

yep

fuck em

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Podly wrote: »
    Since DK and Kakos are here

What's a decent resource for learning C/C# for someone who knows logic?

Preferably free...

C and C# are like night and day different. Which do you want? C would be good for writing patches for synths and stuff from what I saw. C# will help you write apps for Windows.

Well the main immediate goal would be to program for Max. They have "Max for Live" which has a pretty handy GUI, but if I'm going to be using it in a live setting, I'd really like to be sure I know what's going on. I believe that it's C# based. The only thing I know is that it's object based, which I'm assuming means you delineate the objects and they take precedent over any function, but, again, I have no fucking clue what I'm taking about.

edit* and I don't even KNOW it's object based. It just seems like they put an emphasis on that in their press releases.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    ah, home from work

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Variable wrote: »

It's making me think that, maybe, I ought to try not being a dick.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    Not being a dick is always a good idea

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    The pageant contestants can't be married? How does that make sense?

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

Preferably free...

C and C# are like night and day different. Which do you want? C would be good for writing patches for synths and stuff from what I saw. C# will help you write apps for Windows.

Well the main immediate goal would be to program for Max. They have "Max for Live" which has a pretty handy GUI, but if I'm going to be using it in a live setting, I'd really like to be sure I know what's going on. I believe that it's C# based. The only thing I know is that it's object based, which I'm assuming means you delineate the objects and they take precedent over any function, but, again, I have no fucking clue what I'm taking about.

edit* and I don't even KNOW it's object based. It just seems like they put an emphasis on that in their press releases.

Looks like Max objects can be written in C, C++, Java, or JavaScript.

• Options

The problem is that when I compare

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0la5DBtOVNI

with

1556572-likes_super.jpg

I find it soooo much easier to be the angry chess kid. But I'd like to be the happy song.

Perhaps I could try being the happy song for a week.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular

*renegade interrupt*

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    Javascript seems like an odd one out there.

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

Preferably free...

It's a visual programming interface, apparently. So, uh, none of the above!

Edit: Found the wiki article. It agrees with Kakos. YOu'd think they might list some or any of this information in their marketing materials!

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    _J_ wrote: »

good. hopefully other people get that message as well

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    How many people do you think would immediately get a reference to piantas?

Assume that the audience is all nerds.

• Options
    _J_ wrote: »

good. hopefully other people get that message as well

Alright, [chat].

I am officially, officially, going to try to not be a dick this week!

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    I hate the whole wishy washy sentiments about not liking things.

I dislike a lot of things! Genocide, for instance. If you're committing genocide, I'm going to be a real big fucking dick to you.

Obviously, that is an extreme example. But it slides down. Let's say, for instance, you are saying that Birth of a Nation is the best film ever. And, while yes, it kinda invented the modern film as we know it, you REALLY have to account for the subject matter. And I will be a dick about it in that scenario.

And, to a lesser extent, if you say Skrillex is the best electronic musician ever, I'll probably be a dick about it. Not that liking skrillex is bad -- it can be fun, I guess, ESPECIALLY if it's your first exposure to electronic music. But I'll also be a dick about it and point out what is widely considered by the "respected critics" in the EDM community to be far superior electronic music and encourage you to investigate it.

So, while being a douchebag troll is bad, I don't think being a dick in internet convos is necessarily a bad thing.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Bama wrote: »

Miss

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Optimized-Minor-League-Guy.jpg

• Options

Preferably free...

Ah. Which do you think would be the most fruitful to learn?

@Donkey Kong: Max for Live is visual, yeah. But I think Max itself, as a programming language, is not.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I'm never a dick about it because I don't caaaare get off my lawn.

• Options
    Big win tonight

end that slide

I'm happy

fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    I hate the whole wishy washy sentiments about not liking things.

I dislike a lot of things! Genocide, for instance. If you're committing genocide, I'm going to be a real big fucking dick to you.

Obviously, that is an extreme example. But it slides down. Let's say, for instance, you are saying that Birth of a Nation is the best film ever. And, while yes, it kinda invented the modern film as we know it, you REALLY have to account for the subject matter. And I will be a dick about it in that scenario.

And, to a lesser extent, if you say Skrillex is the best electronic musician ever, I'll probably be a dick about it. Not that liking skrillex is bad -- it can be fun, I guess, ESPECIALLY if it's your first exposure to electronic music. But I'll also be a dick about it and point out what is widely considered by the "respected critics" in the EDM community to be far superior electronic music and encourage you to investigate it.

So, while being a douchebag troll is bad, I don't think being a dick in internet convos is necessarily a bad thing.

I think a person can express their own sentiments without belittling the sentiments of others. If we try to understand the other's position, then maybe we can convince them to rethink some of their positions. At the very least, being respectful and kind seems like a better way to manifest a genuine dialog. And you might even make a new friend!

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hrm, I want a kind of fun movie. Lethal Weapon you say? Yes, yes I think I will.

hey thom have you shipped the thing yet

No. I've been running around like a mad person.

It's almost April, you initially estimated it would arrive in the first week of February

• Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    FFFFFFF Mad Men premiere was 2 hours. Guess I missed the first.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    haha, thom, that's awesome

_J_: A problem I have on the internet is that I've been told by many people that my dickish-ness is rather charming. However, this is in personal conversations where the whole network of significations can tell the listener/viewer that, while I'm being a dick, I both know I am and still care about your feelings.

It's much harder to convey through text alone. Like, I think that most [chat]ters who've been here a while know that even when I'm being a dick it's in any way aggressive or vitriolic, but I try to watch it in other threads.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Hrm, I want a kind of fun movie. Lethal Weapon you say? Yes, yes I think I will.

hey thom have you shipped the thing yet

No. I've been running around like a mad person.

It's almost April, you initially estimated it would arrive in the first week of February

Yes. Because I've been a jerk and forgetting.

• Options
    When they say that Poldy they mean they don't take you seriously.

• Options
    BamaBama Registered User regular
    Elldren wrote: »
    Bama wrote: »

Miss
    Meh, it's kinda silly that we still worry about changing the honorific for a married woman. As far as I can tell, the people running the Miss America pageant don't care if the contestants are married.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular

*renegade interrupt*

My argument, torn to shreds in an instant

• Options
    speaking of mad men I'm in early season 2.

don just walked into his home office and it dawned on me that without the internet I'd probably also smoke and drink like a fiend. what the hell else do you do on saturday mornings (or whenever your downtime is)

• Options
    Sarksus wrote: »
    When they say that Poldy they mean they don't take you seriously.

get back to me once you've read gravity's rainbow

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    I'm going to bed.

• Options
    see! sarks knows that I love him, so he understand my dickish tone is just taking the piss out of him.

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    also, [chat], what are your favorite jokes. As in, straight up setting up a punchline jokes

9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    I just want to the bathroom so there's no more piss left

• Options
    haha, thom, that's awesome

_J_: A problem I have on the internet is that I've been told by many people that my dickish-ness is rather charming. However, this is in personal conversations where the whole network of significations can tell the listener/viewer that, while I'm being a dick, I both know I am and still care about your feelings.

It's much harder to convey through text alone. Like, I think that most [chat]ters who've been here a while know that even when I'm being a dick it's in any way aggressive or vitriolic, but I try to watch it in other threads.

I, too, find that persons in real life accept my dickishness as something that is not terrible.

I think, though, that if I could be less of a dick then perhaps other qualitites of my persona could be expressed that my friends like even more. And if i'm generally less of a dick, then I won't have to worry about being misunderstood on the internets, via text, since there shall be no dickishness to misinterpret; only love and merriment shall flow from my text, and everyone's day shall be brightened by the joy I manifest.

That's not to say that your position is incorrect. You are, of course, welcome to do whatever you think manifests a better society and world!

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    DK just scored a 100 pt. word.

• Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular

Preferably free...

Ah. Which do you think would be the most fruitful to learn?

@Donkey Kong: Max for Live is visual, yeah. But I think Max itself, as a programming language, is not.

So, Max is based on a language called MUSIC, but it is completely obfuscated behind the visual programming interface. You basically wire up little objects and do control flow stuff around them. Max itself comes with some large number of these objects, but should you need to write your own, you can do it in the above languages.

As far as what language would be the most fruitful to learn, hmm. If the only programming you might ever do is for Max and other minor stuff, JavaScript would probably be good. It has a lot of uses, it's fairly simple, but it is... quirky. C, C++, and Java are all really commonly used languages for pretty much everything. If you were ever thinking of doing any sort of software engineering or the like, you'd probably want to learn one of these. Of those three, Java would probably be up your alley.

• Options
    pods I get your point but as that video relates to the thread and the goings on in their I think it's excellent.

This discussion has been closed.