As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

May the odds be ever in your favour! [Hunger Games Movie]

• Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    wait wasn't there supposed to be some sort of Echo Bazaar-esque Harry Potter webgame?

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    There's a facebook group about who would win in a fight between Harry Potter and Ender Wiggin.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    There's a facebook group about who would win in a fight between Harry Potter and Ended Wiggins.

I hate humanity

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    yeah there was...something that was supposed to be starting, but I can't remember what it was.

It was like, a hogwarts internet game or something.

• Options
    Langly wrote: »
    yeah there was...something that was supposed to be starting, but I can't remember what it was.

It was like, a hogwarts internet game or something.

which is actually a pretty cool concept, if they just do it like Echo Bazaar

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    Does anyone in this movie say, "I'm so tired of all these hunger games" ?

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Wow. The dd Hunger Games thread is

Wow

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    Wow. The dd _________ thread is

Wow

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    Pottermore?

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular

Wow

What? Mine is okay I hope! I can change the OP if people want. I figured I'd just leave it alone and let you guys end up talking about bread or whatever.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote: »

Wow

What? Mine is okay I hope! I can change the OP if people want. I figured I'd just leave it alone and let you guys end up talking about bread or whatever.

nono, @Liiya , the Debate and/or Discourse thread

• Options
    Antimatter wrote: »

Wow

nono, @Liiya , the Debate and/or Discourse thread

Hm I've not really looked at theirs!

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    There's a facebook group about who would win in a fight between Harry Potter and Ender Wiggin.

For a second, I thought that said Ralph Wiggum.

It was a much more entertaining debate.

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Don't. Trust me.

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    So is this the Running Man for paedophiles or what, internet homies?

Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    Their OP is a bit more detailed - oh well!

• Options
    FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    It's not the quality of OP, liiya, it's the quality of the discussion

Now, about that bread

sig2.jpg
  • Options
    SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

You have encapsulated it exactly

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Ohhh.

edit: yeah I like bread too, FirmSkater!

Liiya on
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Every thread in SE++ ends up about bread! I don't understand it!

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    Peter Ebel wrote: »

Nah, it's Battle Royale for non-japanophiles.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    I need a Running Man remake starring Terry Crews

TheStig on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    Best bread: cinnamon raisin

Worst bread: white bread

rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    Racist.

• Options
    Lost you only like that bread because its laden with sugar :)

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    FirmSkater wrote: »

Now, about that bread

Well it's one guy who expected a YA novel told in 1st person of a 17 year-old to be an economic treatise on the functioning of Panem or something.

I wrote a long-ass post comparing The Hunger Games and Battle Royale (the books, not the movies!) that was completely ignored, so that's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back :P.

• Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    Yeah I just wandered out of the D&D thread.

Apparently if you were even remotely surprised that Rue was black, you're a horrible racist.

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    lostwords wrote: »
    Best bread: cinnamon raisin

Worst bread: white bread

I didn't realize it was opposite day, lostwords

cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Yeah I just wandered out of the D&D thread.

Apparently if you were even remotely surprised that Rue was black, you're a horrible racist.

Forgot about that. Yeah that guy, too. Apparently missing one line of exposition makes me a racist now. Good to know!

• Options
    Lost you only like that bread because its laden with sugar :)
    Of course! Also the fact that the crust is like the best part of the bread. And swirls!

But really white bread is just so bland and unhealthy and blah.

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    FirmSkater wrote: »

Now, about that bread

Well it's one guy who expected a YA novel told in 1st person of a 17 year-old to be an economic treatise on the functioning of Panem or something.

I wrote a long-ass post comparing The Hunger Games and Battle Royale (the books, not the movies!) that was completely ignored, so that's 30 minutes of my life I'll never get back :P.

Well I'm certain it was a very good post! That sucks no one read it.

• Options
    Fuck it, I'm going to cross-post my BR vs. THG comparison because I slogged through BR and want someone to talk to me about it, damnit.

So I just read the English translation of Battle Royale. I have previously read The Hunger Games trilogy, but I haven't seen the movies for either.

The rest of this post contains real-ass SPOILERS for both BR and THG trilogy.
    Similarities:
    1. Teens fighting (duh)
    2. "Injury may be infected, oh god need medicine" subplot
    3. Forbidden zones (BR) vs. the clock arena in THG2. Not exactly the same, but they serve the same narrative and stated purposes.
    4. Psychopaths who dominate the game until climactic fight with the heroes (I can see this flowing from 1 if you come up with it independently, though)
    5. Multiple survivors (I hesitate to say "winners" for obvious reasons)
    6. Gaming the system via technical means to escape
    7. The point of the exercise. Both are used to cow the population into a sense of fear/hopelessness.

Differences:
    1. Cultural flavor. To be expected with Japanese vs. American authorship/setting/etc
    2. BR is much more explicit in its anti-authoritarian message than THG1. THG's messaging in this regard doesn't really kick off until the Reaping in Book 2.
    3. BR deals far, far more with teenage relationships than any part of THG. If this is what you don't like in THG, then you should really hate BR.
    4. Shuya develops real feelings for Noriko over the course of the Program. Katniss (as has been discussed) doesn't harbor any serious feelings for Peeta until much later (or, arguably, ever). Honestly, showing girls that they don't have to derive their self-worth or image from a SO is probably the most important part of THG.
    5. The Programs in BR are held in secret and the winner is announced in a quick thing on the news afterwards. THG are a super reality show spectacle - considering this is one of the main things the book is railing against, I'd say this is an important detail.
    6. There are lot of differences in the details (number of contestants, means of selection, how often they are held, etc).

Overall, I used to be kind of ambivalent about the whole "Hunger Games is just a Battle Royale rip-off" as just an Internet being Internet thing. Now that I've read Battle Royale, though, it is really, really difficult to believe that it was absolutely no influence on or inspiration to The Hunger Games. I'm not saying this is a bad thing, however, and there are enough differences to where writing off THG as a direct rip-off of BR for the US YA audience is being far too reductive.

I honestly think The Hunger Games is a more enjoyable read because it is a bit more focused, though this may just be because I am not used to the Japanese writing style of Battle Royale. I also think THG would be much easier to adapt to film, as it is not nearly as dense as BR - the BR novel describing just the one Program is about as long as the first two Hunger Games books combined.

• Options
    But comparing hunger games to battle royale is for dummies and what exactly are you trying to prove? Like knowing that is gonna make me like hunger games less? Whooooooo caaaaaares

• Options
    edited March 2012
    This is coming from a dude that has read the battle royale book, the whole manga series, and bought a shite copy way back in 2001, and even watched the wretched sequel. So yep

lostwords on
  • Options
    But comparing hunger games to battle royale is for dummies and what exactly are you trying to prove? Like knowing that is gonna make me like hunger games less? Whooooooo caaaaaares

Nope. I like The Hunger Games more. Not trying to prove anything, just want to talk about it beyond "hur dur kids killing each other" because there are other similarities and important differences.

• Options
    This is coming from a dude that has read the battle royale book, the whole manga series, and bought a shite copy way back in 2001, and even watched the wretched sequel. So yep

Jesus. I'm so sorry.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Whenever I go to the bakery I always end up buying freshly baked bread

And iced finger buns. Look don't judge me they put them right next to the bread

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    So its not like they're carbon copies, though they are similar themes. Is Battle Royal worth a read, anyway?

• Options
    Oh yah, that wasn't specifically about you, more te people who are all hurr durr battle royale is superior and how dare they rip it off and oh you don't know about this cult movie :smugface: your post is pretty baller!

• Options
    edited March 2012
    So its not like they're carbon copies, though they are similar themes. Is Battle Royal worth a read, anyway?

I think it's worth a read, yeah. The translation is actually pretty good (in most places - there are some errors, but it is still clear what was meant), and it's a pretty good "action book", if that's a thing.

a5ehren on