Options

Take My [Chat] Away!

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Ahh, isn't the general welfare part in the preamble? I didn't think that was actually part of the Constitution. Also no one is arguing it before the SCOTUS today,so I don't think it really is a factor regardless.

The Obama administration's interpretation does seem to grant it extremely broad regulatory power, in effect saying "all the things you cannot avoid doing? we can control how you do them".
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Article 1, Section 8. It is also in the preamble.

Ok. The government, I assume, isn't arguing from this clause because they say the mandate penalty isn't a tax, so they can't say they're levying the tax for the general welfare of the people.

Neat!

I was merely pointing out that the general welfare clause does exist beyond the preamble. I believe the ACA falls comfortably within the interstate commerce clause.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote: »
    incidentally, I am soon going to make a thread about how freedom is not inherently good

I think it will be entertaining

Freedom without social responsibility and good citizenship? Or just plain ol' freedom?

Freedom as an end in itself, rather than an instrument of utility.

I am just really annoyed by how the core ethical theme in almost every work of popular fiction is individual liberty.

D-do you not realize Brave New World was a horror story? Individual liberty is keen, especially when everyone has it.

this post is like raaaaAAAAIIIiiiiiin on your wedding day.

In Communist North Korea, the government tells you who you can and cannot marry.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    I don't want to be free I just want a hot wife and candy for breakfast.

I want a hot wife too

like don draper's wife (as of season 2 episode 7)

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    If I was Norwegian dictator for a day, I'd get rid of the bit in the constitution that says the King can delegate his powers.

And since every place where it says the King it means "The King in Council of State" and that really just means "Council of State" IE the government

it means the king would have to personally do every single government function.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    incidentally, I am soon going to make a thread about how freedom is not inherently good

Freedom without social responsibility and good citizenship? Or just plain ol' freedom?

I am just really annoyed by how the core ethical theme in almost every work of popular fiction is individual liberty.

I got some communist literature laying around from my great depression era literature class, interesting stuff. Interesting to see how they tried to make things like the collective novel.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Ok you made your case pretty clearly Spool, nice.

It does not change what I originally said. If there are problems changing the document - it's age will be a problem.

After which you went Olol internets.

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular

what's even worse is the trend in the last 15ish years to make "faith" the major value / virtue to be aspired to.

There are few things so sickening as a character going on about "it doesn't matter what you have faith in, only that you have faith".

Give me a good ole fire and brimstone evangelical homophobic cross burning KKK member over that coded bullshit any day.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Ahh, isn't the general welfare part in the preamble? I didn't think that was actually part of the Constitution. Also no one is arguing it before the SCOTUS today,so I don't think it really is a factor regardless.

The Obama administration's interpretation does seem to grant it extremely broad regulatory power, in effect saying "all the things you cannot avoid doing? we can control how you do them".
    The Congress shall have Power To lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States; but all Duties, Imposts and Excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

Ok. The government, I assume, isn't arguing from this clause because they say the mandate penalty isn't a tax, so they can't say they're levying the tax for the general welfare of the people.

Neat!

I was merely pointing out that the general welfare clause does exist beyond the preamble. I believe the ACA falls comfortably within the interstate commerce clause.

"I didn't think the preamble was actually part of the Constitution" may be one of the dumber things I've read on this forum.

The preamble sets out what the government is for, i.e. the sorts of laws and actions that the constitution is supposed to support. The rest is all just limitation on government power to protect the rights espoused within the preamble.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Honk wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    What I am saying spool is that society has changed since you declared independence. I know that there have been amendments, things seem to be up in the supreme court a lot though - whereas you don't hear about that from other countries.

In most countries, the government exists atop the constitution in the power structure. In America it does not - it's constrained by the constitution.

Yeah. Our word for constitution is "base law", because that's what it is. The base. It says who can make laws and how and such.

It's like the OS for the rest of the law.

Your is just hella wierd.

I don't think you are correct here, because I'm pretty sure yours is similar to ours.

The "base law" declares how government is formed, that people are free, have freedom of expression etc. Isn't that pretty much exactly like The Constitution - although less specific?

The government is not "atop" the constitution - that would mean they can change it willy nilly. That is simply not the case. The government is formed in accordance with the constitution.

it's atop in the sense that it is built upon the base. It's easier to change what's on top than the base.

Or, not actually the government because the cabinet doesn't actually make any laws.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    wooo, lunchtime.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    riemann, eat thai food. get a soup that's so hot you're the first white man to order it.

• Options
    If we had treated Grunnloven as holy, jesuits and jews would still be banned from the realm.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Variable wrote: »

I want a hot wife too

Betty?

Ugghhhhh, she's like a Grace Kelly robot that runs on childishness and misdirected hostility.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    wow, feeling so much better today.

It is so fucking weird to live for a few days with signifigantly impaired brain function then get better.

It's like that Poul Anderson book "Brain Wave" (excellent read btw).

You too? Seems like everyone was having problems. What gives?

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    My hospital just went from being really great to being really shitty. All in the span of a day.

What the hell.

• Options
    Just browsing through our constitution.

The King in Council of State has the right to pardon criminals after verdict has fallen.

but the criminal has the right to deny the pardon.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I have been perfectly healthy, and have in fact enjoyed getting two days off due to my teacher being at some out of state conference.

Life's been good.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    "I didn't think the preamble was actually part of the Constitution" may be one of the dumber things I've read on this forum.

The preamble sets out what the government is for, i.e. the sorts of laws and actions that the constitution is supposed to support. The rest is all just limitation on government power to protect the rights espoused within the preamble.

The preamble is not considered legally binding.

It provides constitutional scholars and justices clues regarding the motivations of the founding fathers, but it is not itself law.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    I still do not see the distinction of something being atop or under the constitution.

The systems sounds functionally the same although the US one seems more specific, whereas ours are broader. In both cases government is formed in accordance with the document. In both cases is the constitution difficult to change - I believe ours take two or three changes of powers to pass an amendment. Both cases the document guarantees rights.

Why is one atop?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

The preamble is not considered legally binding.

It provides constitutional scholars and justices clues regarding the motivations of the founding fathers, but it is not itself law.

Which is exactly what I said, since constitutional law is basically just searching out for what the founders meant. It's silly to remove it completely from the equation.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    PantsB wrote: »

Neat!

The government will be arguing that today, as I understand it. Alito and possibly other Justices were peeved the government was arguing it wasn't a tax (so they can get a decision now since you can't rule on a tax until its levied) yesterday but will be arguing that it counts under this clause today.

I don't really understand this maneuver, BTW. It seems like this is just going to make it more difficult on them.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Emn, I'm not saying that freedom isn't an excellent instrument for ethical utility, I'm saying that that is all it is. It is not always a necessary or sufficient instrument for ethical good, as opposed to, maybe, compassion.

There is an obsession with freedom in our western zeitgeist, a sort of monotonous oversimplification that not only assumes freedom is an end, not a means, it does not engage the complications of freedom. A genetically engineered caste of labourers in BNW is not unfree in the typical sense, though their individual will is itself subordinate

• Options
    The King can give anyone he likes any kind of Order or other Reward for excellent Service, but no Rank or Title other than that given by their office. And absolutely no heritable anything.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I still do not see the distinction of something being atop or under the constitution.

The systems sounds functionally the same although the US one seems more specific, whereas ours are broader. In both cases government is formed in accordance with the document. In both cases is the constitution difficult to change - I believe ours take two or three changes of powers to pass an amendment. Both cases the document guarantees rights.

Why is one atop?

If you're using a building analogue, then both form the base.

If you're imagining everything hanging, then both are at the top.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »

I want a hot wife too

Betty?

Ugghhhhh, she's like a Grace Kelly robot that runs on childishness and misdirected hostility.

she's hot though, that's all I'm commenting on

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    If we had treated Grunnloven as holy, jesuits and jews would still be banned from the realm.

Well the US Constitution has been updated 27 times, 12 of which were in the last 100 years. If it was a "holy" document, black people would still be counted as 3/5ths, etc.

You also have to remember that the US has 62x the population of Norway and a fundamentally more conservative view on government power and whatnot. There is a lot of intertia in the system - we usually end up on the right course, but it takes a long time to make the change.

a5ehren on
  • Options
    TL DR wrote: »

It is so fucking weird to live for a few days with signifigantly impaired brain function then get better.

Bashed my head and got a concussion last Tuesday. Everything has just been so slow and hurty since (getting better but slowly). And my memory has been scary bad.

Chu: thai sounds awesome but i am in the cafeteria so not an option.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Why is one atop?

Now you are saying that they're functionally similar, right? Like I said from the start.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Neat!

There aren't any rights espoused in the preamble! WTF man? And I meant a binding part of the Constitution.

We, the People, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty, to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

There are no rights in the Preamble. I think you are confused here, dude.

(I wrote that out from memory!)

• Options
    edited March 2012
    a5ehren wrote: »

Well the US Constitution has been updated 27 times, 12 of which were in the last 100 years. If it was a "holy" document, black people would still be counted as 3/5ths, etc.

You also have to remember that the US has 62x the population of Norway and a fundamentally more conservative view on government power and whatnot. There is a lot of intertia in the system - we usually end up on the right course, but it takes a long time to make the change.

your "conservative" when it comes to government power, is the polar opposite to most other places.

I mean hell, our conservative party was formed in opposition to democracy.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    riemann how'd you smash your head

• Options

Why is one atop?

Now you are saying that they're functionally similar, right? Like I said from the start.

I never disagreed with you. Talk to spool 'bout that.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Neat!

The government will be arguing that today, as I understand it. Alito and possibly other Justices were peeved the government was arguing it wasn't a tax (so they can get a decision now since you can't rule on a tax until its levied) yesterday but will be arguing that it counts under this clause today.

I don't really understand this maneuver, BTW. It seems like this is just going to make it more difficult on them.

They have a difficult argument to make, yeah. Also, from the reviews I've read the Solicitor General didn't advance a General Welfare clause argument today. It might be in the briefs? The justices didn't ask about it either, from what I've read. I'll listen to the arguments later tonight.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    If the king is dead and there are no suitable heirs, a new king or queen shall be chosen by the Storting.

EDIT: Or "Storthing" as it actually says here. Man why did we ever stop writing like this. Commas in wierd places, seemingly random capitalization everywhere, and soft consonants everywhere. It's awesome.

Abdhyius on
    ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Why is one atop?

I never disagreed with you. Talk to spool 'bout that.

:lol: haha
    I may be too sleepy to try and talk about big issues right now. Sorry dude, my mistake!

Honk on
  • Options
    BeNarwhalBeNarwhal The Work Left Unfinished Registered User regular

Neat!

There aren't any rights espoused in the preamble! WTF man? And I meant a binding part of the Constitution.

We, the People, in order to form a more perfect union, establish justice, ensure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty, to ourselves and our posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

There are no rights in the Preamble. I think you are confused here, dude.

(I wrote that out from memory!)

I wonder if the clauses listed are meant to be listed in order of priority.

I know so little about your Constitution, America.

• Options
    mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    TL DR wrote: »

Bashed my head and got a concussion last Tuesday. Everything has just been so slow and hurty since (getting better but slowly). And my memory has been scary bad.

Chu: thai sounds awesome but i am in the cafeteria so not an option.

Damn. : (

Hope you're feeling hale and healthy again soon.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • Options
    If the king is dead and there are no suitable heirs, a new king or queen shall be chosen by the Storting.

EDIT: Or "Storthing" as it actually says here. Man why did we ever stop writing like this. Commas in wierd places, seemingly random capitalization everywhere, and soft consonants everywhere. It's awesome.

I think the most recent amendment made here was when Princess Victoria was born, because up until then only the first son was next in line. So at least we don't discriminate there any more.

• Options
    edited March 2012

Neat!

They have a difficult argument to make, yeah. Also, from the reviews I've read the Solicitor General didn't advance a General Welfare clause argument today. It might be in the briefs? The justices didn't ask about it either, from what I've read. I'll listen to the arguments later tonight.

I mean, the popular arguments for the mandate's constitutionality is that it is functionally identical to a tax and if they're going to argue that it's not a tax, they're shooting themselves in the foot.

Sotomayor wrote:
    There are other collateral consequences such as for people on probation who are disobeying the law, if they don't buy health insurance they ... could be subject to having their supervised release revoked.
    Kagan wrote:
    Suppose a person does not purchase insurance ... pays the penalty instead, and that person finds herself in a position where she is asked the question, ‘have you ever violated any federal law,’ would that person have violated a federal law?

Edit: http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/supreme_court_dispatches/2012/03/supreme_court_weighs_obamacare_and_its_jurisdiction_over_the_affordable_care_act_s_constitutionality_.html

Feral on

• Options
    If you are elected as a stortingrepresentative, you have no choice in the matter.

Unless, wierdly, he's been at every storting since the last election.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.