Options

[Trailers] Solidifying Iron-Clad Opinions in 2:30 or Less

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    shryke wrote: »
    Robocop is hilarious if only because it's a dystopian movie that was simply far too optimistic about the future of Detroit.

Indeed. I watched it last year - it's certainly a product of its era, but some of the themes are still relevant, which is pretty sad.

• Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Robocop was a wonderful satire.

Antimatter on
  • Options
    AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Who is the bad guy supposed to be/who does the voice? I thought it sounded like Tom Hiddleston, but that might just be because it was so similar to the Avengers stuff.

Jude Law.
    Innit Chris Pine? Jack Frost is usually a badguy.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Nope, Jude Law is voicing Pitch, aka the Bogeyman.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    Ahhhh Boogeyman. I hoped they hadn't just made up a random Evildude.

Although I guess "The Boogeyman" is about as undefined as you can get.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    <insert clip of the Boogeyman from the Ghostbusters toon here>

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    You know, I never really thought I needed an Anchorman sequel... but now that they've announced one, I find that I do.

Very excited.

It's funny, just last week during a radio interview Ferrell said he wasn't having any luck getting anyone to move forward with a sequel, yet here we are.

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    NODeNODe Registered User regular
    Nope, Jude Law is voicing Pitch, aka the Bogeyman.

If this is based on the book(s) I think it's based on then, yes. Pitch is a sort of anthropomorphism of Nightmares...and also a baby kidnapping, murdering space pirate.
    This is based on one book that's a little too old for my 9 month old son which describes the "origin story" of the Man in the Moon.

• Options
    DiannaoChongDiannaoChong Registered User regular
    I have a special spot for movies with teams of heroes that work synchronously. When all the women teamed up in shrek.... 3? I was all fuck yes, and then it ended after 30 seconds.

That trailer though looks like it will be meh. I approve of big russian dude with swords as santa though. Guessing rabbit is artillery, sandman conjours, tooth fairy swarms? and santa is the muscle. Sounds like the best D&D campaign ever.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    I think the plot and premise sound more kids movie (i.e. silly) then an all ages appeal to be honest.

Maybe it's all those years of mediocre christmas specials that cause me to think this way though.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Wait, they are now doing trailers for the trailers? Hollywood truly has run out of ideas, hasn't it?
    Loss-of-Originality-STATS5.gif

• Options
    There was a ninth harry potter?

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Delzhand wrote: »
    TheBigEasy wrote: »
    TehSpectre wrote: »

Wait, they are now doing trailers for the trailers? Hollywood truly has run out of ideas, hasn't it?
    Loss-of-Originality-STATS5.gif

That poster is really wrong, Planet of the Apes started in the 60s and was based on a book from a long, long time ago. There were also only 8 Harry Potter films.

Also, Hollywood started out with book adaptations. Originality is a fairly new concept.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular

They split Deathly Hollows into 2 films.

• Options
    Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    Also I wonder what top 15 list they used that Bridesmaids was the only original story of 2011.

NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Yes, Number 7 and Number 8.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Also I wonder what top 15 list they used that Bridesmaids was the only original story of 2011.

I think it's top 15 grossing films.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

I think it's top 15 grossing films.

That would probably make sense. Bit misleading though when you only say top 15 films of this year.

• Options

Wasn't Deathly Hollows the Seventh book? So two films would be 7 and 8.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    Man for some reason when Santa said "That was just expression" he sounded ALOT like the TF2 Heavy.

I'm really ok with Santa being the Heavy.

not only that but Alec Baldwin as The Heavy as Santa.

I'm sold.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    I think that list picked a good line up of 10 year events to cherry pick. I bet it would look alot different if it went 1982,1992, 2002,2012, or 3's or 4's, etc.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

Wasn't Deathly Hollows the Seventh book? So two films would be 7 and 8.

Yes.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Zampanov wrote: »
    Man for some reason when Santa said "That was just expression" he sounded ALOT like the TF2 Heavy.

I'm really ok with Santa being the Heavy.

not only that but Alec Baldwin as The Heavy as Santa.

I'm sold.

I dig making them different nationalities(santa as a Russian) but I can't help but have logical problems with the Easter Bunny being Aussie.

Though maybe the will point out how nothing about that guy makes sense.

Quire.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think that list picked a good line up of 10 year events to cherry pick. I bet it would look alot different if it went 1982,1992, 2002,2012, or 3's or 4's, etc.

2010 you have

Toy Story 3- Sequel
    Alice in Wonderland - Adaptation
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Pt. 1 - Sequel
    Inception - Original
    Shrek Forever After - Sequel
    The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - Sequel
    Iron Man 2 - Sequel
    Tangled - It's kinda of an adaptation I think?
    Despicable Me- Original
    How to Train Your Dragon - Adaptation

So yeah you got a few originals in there. More than the list from 2001 :P

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options

2010 you have

Toy Story 3- Sequel
    Inception - Original
    Iron Man 2 - Sequel
    Despicable Me- Original
    How to Train Your Dragon - Original

HTTYD was an adaption from a book series.

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    plus those are all taking the highest grossing films, not all the films made by hollywood

so really, the poster should say "audiences don't give a shit about originality"

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    I did not know that! Thanks.

• Options
    nightmarennynightmarenny Registered User regular
    Yeah. I don't like to blame Hollywood completely for making 'quels and adaptions. What do you expect when that's the best way to guarantee success?

Inception was a great movie but lets be honest. It succeeded in small part do to how good it was. Nolans being making good stuff for years and they ain't all on there.

It made money because it was by the director who directed The dark Knight and because it stared a well-liked lead.

You know. The only way original movies ever get strong backing.

Quire.jpg
  • Options

2010 you have

Toy Story 3- Sequel
    Inception - Original
    Iron Man 2 - Sequel
    Despicable Me- Original
    How to Train Your Dragon - Original

HTTYD was an adaption from a book series.

Arguing that adaptations mean there's no originality in hollywood is damn stupid.

The Godfather: adaptation
    Nosferato: adaptation
    Jaws: adaptation
    The Maltese Falcon: adaptation
    To Kill a Mockingbird: adaptation
    The Caine Mutiny: adaptation

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Just look at the top grossing movies of all time. Half of them are sequels/prequels, and a good few adaptations.

edit: Actually looking at world wide box office and not just USA, 7 of the top 10 all time grossing movies are sequels. The top 2 are the most "original" movies being Avatar and Titanic.....

Look Out it's Sabs! on
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    So we may get a sequal to "Twins" called "Triplets" staring Arnold, Devito, and Eddie Murphy.

I don't quite know what to say about this. I mean on one hand it's Danny DeVito coming back to the silver screen but it's such a batshit insane idea.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    It kind of tells you something when looking at the all time grossing movies and the most original movies on the list are Avatar and Titanic.

• Options
    I'd go all the way back to the 1500s. Pretty much all of Shakespeare's plays except for maybe The Tempest are either based on or straight up ripped off of older or in some cases contemporary works.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    I would see Triplets. Twins was way more fun that it should have been and Danny Devito is a million times more insane than he used to be.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Yeah, the dude starred in a true story that HE HIMSELF was fairly involved in, and didn't play himself.

Dude is fruitloops like a fox.

• Options
    Yeah. I don't like to blame Hollywood completely for making 'quels and adaptions. What do you expect when that's the best way to guarantee success?

Inception was a great movie but lets be honest. It succeeded in small part do to how good it was. Nolans being making good stuff for years and they ain't all on there.

It made money because it was by the director who directed The dark Knight and because it stared a well-liked lead.

You know. The only way original movies ever get strong backing.

I love Christopher Nolan and most of his movies are adaptations.

Memento is based off of his brother's short story. The Prestige is based off of a book. Insomnia is a remake of a Norwegian film. Batman Begins and the Dark Knight are the obvious ones.

Being an adaptation really doesn't mean a thing on if the movie will be good or not.

• Options
    Do you think actors hit an age in hollywood, where everything that lands on their desk turns into "Fuck it, lets see where this goes!"? I dont even mean in a broke way, just a..... Ghandi in bloodrayne kind of way.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Do you think actors hit an age in hollywood, where everything that lands on their desk turns into "Fuck it, lets see where this goes!"? I dont even mean in a broke way, just a..... Ghandi in bloodrayne kind of way.

Depends on the actor. Ben Kingsley has a similar attitude toward acting as Christopher Walken. He'll do the job so long as it doesn't conflict with another job.

At least I'm pretty sure he's answered interview questions to that effect.

r4zgei8pcfod.gif
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    So we may get a sequal to "Twins" called "Triplets" staring Arnold, Devito, and Eddie Murphy.

I don't quite know what to say about this. I mean on one hand it's Danny DeVito coming back to the silver screen but it's such a batshit insane idea.

that's messed up, and Eddie Murphy is definitely the poison pill in this. I guess he's from that era but I just don't get how they can have any chemistry.

DanHibiki on
This discussion has been closed.