As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Guild Wars] You can still get Hall of Monument rewards for GW2

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    Hehehehehe I made so much money yesterday

• Options
    SeidkonaSeidkona Had an upgrade Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I tried my rit out in UW and didn't get very far. Not sure if it's a build problem (it shouldn't be. it's a pretty standard sos spirit spam build. maybe I messed it up by bringing boon of creation?) or if I just suck.

Probably the second.

Seidkona on
    Mostly just huntin' monsters.
    XBL:Phenyhelm - 3DS:Phenyhelm
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Bethryn wrote: »
    Bethryn's Pretty Big Guide to Hall of Monuments points
    <snip>
    Hope this has been helpful, any criticism, extra tips and other feedback, put @Bethryn in the response so I see it!

One comment - last night I was informed you do not need all 3 campaigns for the pet, but you will need a guildy to help. I don't have NF (have the others), but apparently I can get someone else to get the nesting materials I'd need from NF, so I can still do the pet? Haven't tried yet, going to work on it after I finish factions and WiK.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    @Bethryn
    3) Tournament points. Each account is entitled to 50 free Tournament points. To access these, you need to reach a certain area (Lion's Arch, Kaineng Center, Kamadan having completed the Istan portion of the campaign), travel to Isle of Balthazar, talk to Tolkano and register your account, then talk to High Priest Zhang. You can then turn these in to Tolkano for 10 Zaishen Keys, each of which sells for 5.7-6k.
    FTFY

Also dont sell them less than 5.7. Ive been selling quickly at 5.8. I expect in the coming month zkeys are going to be selling at 6k-6.5k.

The 5.5's you see are the trade spammers that turn around and sell at 6k.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Random Arena Zaishen bounty today; 3k Balth per arena-able character!

Edit: couldn't you just make new PvP characters over and over again to get the bonus 3k each time you win an arena?

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    I abused codex yesterday. Codex is far more abuseable if you got a semi decent team due to half your matches being against bots.

Random you gotta be good, and hope you dont get 2 monks, or no monks.

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Bethryn, you are the best person. Thanks for that guide!

Regarding the 7PS hero build: One exception is if you are running as a SoS spirit spam rit, as there is overlap with the SoS resto rit that means all the hero does is stand around being useless for most situations. I'm working on an alternative, but a Xinrae resto rit stacking weapon spells looks like a good replacement for support. I'll report back when I've had a bit more experience with this build, as I'm concerned about its emanagement, but it's a start.

Huggles on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Random Arena Zaishen bounty today; 3k Balth per arena-able character!

Edit: couldn't you just make new PvP characters over and over again to get the bonus 3k each time you win an arena?

I need to slap you silly :P

Combat quests are repeatable. Just rezone/change district to get it again.

You 'could' recycle alts.... but really...

Draygo on
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    Are sapphires/rubies farmable?

26904.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Bullhead wrote: »
    Bethryn's Pretty Big Guide to Hall of Monuments points
    <snip>
    Hope this has been helpful, any criticism, extra tips and other feedback, put @Bethryn in the response so I see it!

One comment - last night I was informed you do not need all 3 campaigns for the pet, but you will need a guildy to help. I don't have NF (have the others), but apparently I can get someone else to get the nesting materials I'd need from NF, so I can still do the pet? Haven't tried yet, going to work on it after I finish factions and WiK.

Unfortunately, the nesting material is not tradeable. They make it so you have to do one part in each campaign on the character getting the item.

In Factions you have to buy the Incubator it's customized, in Elona you have to trade the items for the Nesting material as it's also customized, and in Prophecies you have to take the whole kit into Sorrow's Furnace.

Seidkona on
  • Options
    Stupid wrote: »

you can farm them in the hidden city with a 150 derv build.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Draygo wrote: »
    I need to slap you silly :P

Combat quests are repeatable. Just rezone/change district to get it again.

You 'could' recycle alts.... but really...
    Ah, ok! I'd not seen the RA bonus yet, so all my PvP has been trying for 25 streaks (with surprising success).

Thanks for the correction on tourney points.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Draygo wrote: »
    Stupid wrote: »

you can farm them in the hidden city with a 150 derv build.

So, I can farm them in The Hidden City of Ahdashim, using a 130hp Dervish Farmer build? Did I google that correctly?

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    Yes.

I havent done it myself though. but that was the method recommended to me. There are a lot of spawns right near the enterance to the explorable zone. Do one lap around the pool, rezone. Expert salvage any drop that could contain rubies or sapphires (wiki has the salvage list just look up ruby and sapphire on the wiki).

• Options
    Thanks! I have a few "Measure for Measure" inscriptions saved up just for this.

26904.png
  • Options
    Huggles wrote: »
    Bethryn, you are the best person. Thanks for that guide!

Regarding the 7PS hero build: One exception is if you are running as a SoS spirit spam rit, as there is overlap with the SoS resto rit that means all the hero does is stand around being useless for most situations. I'm working on an alternative, but a Xinrae resto rit stacking weapon spells looks like a good replacement for support. I'll report back when I've had a bit more experience with this build, as I'm concerned about its emanagement, but it's a start.

The seven heroes I brought when I did winds of change HM on my SOS Rit were

1 panic
    2 ineptitude
    3 soul twist
    4 aura of the lich
    5 pain of disenchantment resto healer necro
    6 unyielding aura monk with Spirit Siphon for energy management
    7 variable, usually ray of judgment smiter, sometimes a signet of ghostly might spirit spam

• Options
    HugglesHuggles Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I'm very similar, barring certain elites to which I don't yet have access.

I'll probably take the Xinrae resto rit over a UA monk because the only thing ruining my day right now is spike damage, especially from ele bosses. I think I'll take Spirit Siphon though, given how I'm going to be spamming spirits all the time.

Huggles on
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Speaking of RoJ, i'm completely in love with Ogden now that i use him as a full RoJ smiter/melee support (since I'm a warrior). Was just silly last night running around factions smiting the shit out of groups of diseased/undead. I'd ES a whole group down, then he'd perfectly time a RoJ so they'd all melt on the ground. Much LOLs were had.

*edit* @Entaru - I bet the person I was talking to was goign off of this bit of trivia from the wiki:
    Prior to August 29th, 2007, nesting material could be traded between players.

Bullhead on
    96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    So last night I discovered the arena where you ride a worm around while ghosts chase you. Woo, got 5 armors in an hour! I use a few armors on my heroes, sell the remaining ones, at 10k each, and proceed to farm the shit out of that place!

...And don't get a single one. WTF?

Madpoet on
  • Options
    DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    Madpoet wrote: »
    So last night I discovered the arena where you ride a worm around while ghosts chase you. Woo, got 5 armors in an hour! I use a few armors on my heroes, sell the remaining ones, at 10k each, and proceed to farm the shit out of that place!

...And don't get a single one. WTF?

You got mind-bogglingly lucky.

What is this I don't even.
  • Options
    I am so so bad at the worm one.

I can run dajahk inlet and get an armor piece almost every time but I walk away with squat from the maddened souls.

• Options
    MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Google seems to indicate that drop rates plummet after you either get enough for your heroes or use them on your heroes. This mesh with anyone else's experience? I also am pretty sure I got them all in one run, which I also saw in the Googles as a thing. Had one run where I killed like 20 maddened bastards when the armors appeared. But, I've had better runs with ziltch.

• Options
    Entaru wrote: »
    I am so so bad at the worm one.

I can run dajahk inlet and get an armor piece almost every time but I walk away with squat from the maddened souls.

I remember you running dajahk inlet and bragging about getting armor pieces every time, that was cool.

You're terribad at the souls one, though.

• Options
    KetBraKetBra Dressed Ridiculously Registered User regular
    The drop rate on the souls one is kinda low, and you have to have a good system worked out for it. Even then, you can get a daily high score and have no armor pieces drop, the rate is super wonky.

I think the maddened souls have a higher drop rate than the lost souls, too.

KGMvDLc.jpg?1
  • Options
    VerboseVerbose That one guy over there. That guy. Registered User regular
    Can I get an invite to the guild? Char name Hroun Redclaw. I could use some guidance whilst getting HoM stuff.

• Options
    sure thing

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    One of these days I should really try firing up GW again and actually making some progress/finishing a campaign.

Got a elementalist who's sitting at 19, but in the Factions campaign which I'm not a huge fan of.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    XagarXagar Registered User regular
    QaeuF.jpg
    I appreciated the Steins;Gate reference.

Also re: Nightfall challenge missions - from others' reports and personal experience, I can say that the drop rate plummets after 4-5. This is character-based, though, I believe. Also, for pacman (the wurm one) it's extremely helpful to bring a bunch of long-range shadow steps, like Recall/Shadow Meld/Shadow of Haste, especially for mapping the area.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Just got my factions set up on dere.

Now I can do the good PVP places too. JQ is apparently really good for getting faction in a jiffy.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    if you need faction yes. More often than not your better off farming balth faction (ziashen combat), getting zkeys and selling them, then buying amber/jadeite. Even if you sell zkeys at 5.5 you are getting more for your money changing imperial to balth, then balth to keys.

Draygo on
  • Options
    Meant mostly for getting balth so I can get all my skills for the hero setups. Which I made great strides on last night.

• Options
    i just did a UW run with three Scrolls of the Lightbringer to get me triple exp

basically if i get zero ectos i lose 5k on the run
    if i get one ecto i make a tiny bit of money

and i get over 60k exp in half an hour with little risk

survivor here i come

• Options
    FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    @stupid a good way to "farm" for rubies ans sapphires is to farm rain beetles in, mirror of lyss i think, and salvage all the geodes they drop.

also, if you run dungeons, and bring light of deldrimor, they hidden treasures have a chance of dropping them. small chance though.

• Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Also complete Winds of Change and Hard Mode Winds of Change. You get a passel of rubies and sapphires out of those, as well as lockpicks, money, and other benefits.

• Options
    TannerMSTannerMS "I'm confidence cause I'm zerg!" Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »
    Also complete Winds of Change and Hard Mode Winds of Change. You get a passel of rubies and sapphires out of those, as well as lockpicks, money, and other benefits.

Anyone who hasn't done this needs to.

I'm pretty sure the rare mats / lockpicks / cash come out to at least 200 plat

• Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    Another tip - even if you hate PvP, do the training arenas day. You can get 2000 faction every 24 hours doing this, and it's easy-peasy PvE. Takes about 10 minutes really, and the faction can then be used to unlock skills or even buy Zaishen keys.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    steejeesteejee Registered User regular
    Entriech wrote: »

Doing Minister Cho's again in HM scares me. Though once I did work out a hero set for it we breezed through it easy cheesy. I'm doing WoC NM for the story right now (surprisingly good writing so far, though the cleansings dragged a little longer than need be), but given my money reserves I'm keeping an eye out for a possible way to 30.

As it is I'm sitting on 25/30:
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&amp;details=AAAAA8////DAgQoCggHAAAgAAAIAAAAAOIEIQAAAAAA&amp;todo=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not sure what the best way to go would be though. Main is a Dervish, so figured Vabbian armor would be a good pick to get to 27 despite the cost, but after that really not sure. Maaaybe 5 more titles (lightbringer, UW, Deep, ...?), or Vabbian + 4 cheap armors, which seems like it maybe my best option. Basically looking to not spend much time with the game outside of some casual play to work myself up to 30 - only two of the five rewards above 25 appeal to me (and one is the Mini-golem which I should be able to afford after I finish NM WoC), so going for path of least resistance at this point.

The Great DAMNED STEAM SALES AND WII/U Backlog
    Just Finished: Borderlands (waste of $7)/Mario Brothers U/The Last Story/Tropico 4
    Currently Playing: NS2/ZombiU/PlanetSide 2/Ys/Dota2/Xenoblade Chronicles
    On Hold: Prince of Persia: Warrior Within/GW2/Scribblenauts
    Coming Next: Prince of Persia: The Two Thrones/X-Com Classic
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2012
    steejee wrote: »
    As it is I'm sitting on 25/30:
    http://hom.guildwars2.com/en/#page=details&amp;details=AAAAA8////DAgQoCggHAAAgAAAIAAAAAOIEIQAAAAAA&amp;todo=AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Not sure what the best way to go would be though. Main is a Dervish, so figured Vabbian armor would be a good pick to get to 27 despite the cost, but after that really not sure. Maaaybe 5 more titles (lightbringer, UW, Deep, ...?), or Vabbian + 4 cheap armors, which seems like it maybe my best option. Basically looking to not spend much time with the game outside of some casual play to work myself up to 30 - only two of the five rewards above 25 appeal to me (and one is the Mini-golem which I should be able to afford after I finish NM WoC), so going for path of least resistance at this point.

Well, for one I'd go for Kurzick/Luxon armor over Vabbian. Probably costs half as much, plus if you want to farm for it, you can actually just splurge on doing Jade Quarry. In fact, concentrating on buying prestige armor might be your best bet. If you got a Kurzick armor, plus an additional 4 armors, that'd take you right up to 30.

Entriech on
  • Options
    Slimcea wrote: »
    Another tip - even if you hate PvP, do the training arenas day. You can get 2000 faction every 24 hours doing this, and it's easy-peasy PvE. Takes about 10 minutes really, and the faction can then be used to unlock skills or even buy Zaishen keys.

now that I own factions I have been doing the daily zaishen pvp deals and running jq and fort aspen and really taking in the balth faction points. I got 5 of the 7 hero support done and after setting 4 of them up did the training. Turns out you can take heroes in there, and have a team bigger than 4. Was fun to see my team utterly destroy them.

• Options
    Where's this PvP training arena stuff?