As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Thread About Movies

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I didn't mind the twist ending in Source Code, I just didn't like how
    he inhabits the body of the girl's husband forever now. That's creepy. How is he going to go on living that life now? What the fuuuuuck.
    That goes into Fridge Horror territory. For all we know the husband's virtually "dead" with Jake Gyllenhaal possessing his body now. :shock:
    That's precisely what happened. I mean I suppose in a way it's not too bad:
    The guy was dead either way, because it's not like Gyllenhaal could "jump out" of the body, so I suppose living on is better than nothing, but it is super weird/creepy that either the girl is never going to know that her friend turned into a different person, or at some point Gyllenhaal is going to have to sit her down and say "hey remember that day on the train, actually I became a different person that day so the old guy you knew is basically gone."

I enjoyed Source Code, and I didn't have much of a problem with the ending (although I can see why people would feel otherwise). What annoyed me about the movie was how much better it could've been.
    There are things it only vaguely or tangentially touched on that it really could've explored in more detail. Disabled soldiers coming home from war, disabled soldiers (or perfectly fine soldiers) being exploited by the military, the ethics of wiping his memory and using him the next time a terrorist attack popped up... I didn't mind that we got a sci-fi thriller, but I would totally have loved meditations on the nature of disability and service. I mean, Blade Runner could've just been a sci-fi neo-noir but it took on themes about humanity and memory and so on. Source Code had all the pieces on the board to do that, but it never really got into the meat of it. Not to mention the terrorist MacGuffin could've at least been interesting. I mean, it's not like he made the movie worse, but "weirdo patriot who wants the world to be reborn from the ashes" is just lazy and uninteresting.

Maybe the creators did want to go in that direction but the investors didn't. Avatar did the same thing, only I doubt Cameron had any intention of fleshing out Jake's story beyond
    giving him an excuse to become a cat-smurf.

That's a whole 'nother rabbit hole. There are original drafts of Avatar that are actually fucking dark and pretty damn serious. They can be found. Some interesting ideas in them that the official movie would've greatly benefited from. It was about on par with Terminator 2 in terms of overall tone, but I don't think it would've gone over as well.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    I didn't mind the twist ending in Source Code, I just didn't like how
    he inhabits the body of the girl's husband forever now. That's creepy. How is he going to go on living that life now? What the fuuuuuck.
    That goes into Fridge Horror territory. For all we know the husband's virtually "dead" with Jake Gyllenhaal possessing his body now. :shock:
    That's precisely what happened. I mean I suppose in a way it's not too bad:
    The guy was dead either way, because it's not like Gyllenhaal could "jump out" of the body, so I suppose living on is better than nothing, but it is super weird/creepy that either the girl is never going to know that her friend turned into a different person, or at some point Gyllenhaal is going to have to sit her down and say "hey remember that day on the train, actually I became a different person that day so the old guy you knew is basically gone."

I enjoyed Source Code, and I didn't have much of a problem with the ending (although I can see why people would feel otherwise). What annoyed me about the movie was how much better it could've been.
    There are things it only vaguely or tangentially touched on that it really could've explored in more detail. Disabled soldiers coming home from war, disabled soldiers (or perfectly fine soldiers) being exploited by the military, the ethics of wiping his memory and using him the next time a terrorist attack popped up... I didn't mind that we got a sci-fi thriller, but I would totally have loved meditations on the nature of disability and service. I mean, Blade Runner could've just been a sci-fi neo-noir but it took on themes about humanity and memory and so on. Source Code had all the pieces on the board to do that, but it never really got into the meat of it. Not to mention the terrorist MacGuffin could've at least been interesting. I mean, it's not like he made the movie worse, but "weirdo patriot who wants the world to be reborn from the ashes" is just lazy and uninteresting.

Maybe the creators did want to go in that direction but the investors didn't. Avatar did the same thing, only I doubt Cameron had any intention of fleshing out Jake's story beyond
    giving him an excuse to become a cat-smurf.

That's a whole 'nother rabbit hole. There are original drafts of Avatar that are actually fucking dark and pretty damn serious. They can be found. Some interesting ideas in them that the official movie would've greatly benefited from. It was about on par with Terminator 2 in terms of overall tone, but I don't think it would've gone over as well.

Dammit. That's an Avatar I'd want to watch.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I haven't watched Source Code because I hear it's "sold but not nearly as good as Moon" and I thought Moon was good but overrated.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    wandering wrote: »
    I haven't watched Source Code because I hear it's "sold but not nearly as good as Moon" and I thought Moon was good but overrated.
    "Solid but not nearly as good as Moon" is how everyone describes it because they have the same director, but unless you thought Moon was overrated for a bunch of very specific reasons that would also apply to Source Code, and unless the stuff you thought was "good" in Moon is missing in Source Code such that most people describe it as "not nearly as good" and you would describe it as "not good," then Source Code is worth watching.

To put that in a slightly less confusing way, I don't think people thought Moon was good for the same reasons they thought Source Code was good, so if you don't like Moon as much as other people I'm not sure this has anything to do with how much you'd like Source Code.

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    Netflix has taught me that I'm a sucker for "mind-bending" movies. Source Code, Inception, The Truman Show, Limitless, I eat them up.

Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DeadfallDeadfall I don't think you realize just how rich he is. In fact, I should put on a monocle.Registered User regular
    Agree on Wrath of the Titans.

It was just fun. As opposed to Clash, which left me just irritated.
    I mean, any movie that casts Bill Nighy as a crazy Bill Nighy is alright with me.

And Zeus and Hades teaming up, just tearing shit apart. Yes.

7ivi73p71dgy.png
    xbl - HowYouGetAnts
    steam - WeAreAllGeth
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »
    Netflix has taught me that I'm a sucker for "mind-bending" movies. Source Code, Inception, The Truman Show, Limitless, I eat them up.

Same here. It's why I'm such a Nolan fanboy.

• Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Fuck yes a theater near me is screening The Raid on Friday.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    HounHoun Registered User regular
    RandomEngy wrote: »

I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter.

• Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    Just watched Tremors for the first time. I had seen bits and pieces on late-night TV but never all the way through. So much fun! Exactly what I needed. It was a total blast, everything about it was incredibly enjoyable. And the special effects were sweet, once again showing how well-done practical effects are more believable than CGI when done properly.

Are any of the sequels worth watching? I can't imagine they'd be as much fun without Kevin Bacon...

• Options
    Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    There was no need for a Tremors 2 or 3 lets put it that way.

PSN Fleety2009
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    tremors 2 is still awesome in that "oh god this is bad but cant stop watching" way, never saw 3.. i think i almost saw 4.. 4 was the wild west one right?

• Options
    Once knew a guy who loved all the Tremors movies.

Then I learned he actually didn't give a shit about anything in life and was actually incapable of being committed to things, and also hated the concept of learning.

We don't talk much these days.

• Options
    gjaustingjaustin Registered User regular
    I seem to recall that the guy that Gyllenhall snuck into wasn't actually all that close with the girl. Am I misremembering that?

You are, in fact, absolutely correct.

At best, they're just friends.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    gjaustin wrote: »
    I seem to recall that the guy that Gyllenhall snuck into wasn't actually all that close with the girl. Am I misremembering that?

You are, in fact, absolutely correct.

At best, they're just friends.

Yeah I got the impression that they'd met a few times but hadn't dated or anything yet.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
  • Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Source Code moral quandary question:
    If you, like Gyllenhaal, knew that your options were to either:
    - Die in a huge explosion
    - Live as a vegetable in an experiment
    - Steal a guy's body and awkwardly live out his life

Which do you choose? It's creepy, but I have this thing in me that makes me want to not die, so I'd probably pick Option #3, just as he did.

• Options
    BuddiesBuddies Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I see Scarlett and I'm all :winky: and then I watch the clip and I'm all D:

Everything about that scene was awful. Not even cheesy awful. The Dialogue sucked, and the choreography was just as bad. But her boobs jiggle, sooo......

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular

Which do you choose? It's creepy, but I have this thing in me that makes me want to not die, so I'd probably pick Option #3, just as he did.
    I think this is part of why I was disappointed with the film - it didn't seem to be aware of this quandary at all. In fact, it ignored most of the interesting mind, 'mainstreaming' most of what was really interesting about the film. The reveal about one third into the film isn't much of a reveal; I'd imagine that it's pretty obvious to anyone who's seen similar films before.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    Buddies wrote: »
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I see Scarlett and I'm all :winky: and then I watch the clip and I'm all D:

Everything about that scene was awful. Not even cheesy awful. The Dialogue sucked, and the choreography was just as bad. But her boobs jiggle, sooo......

It was very...TVish. That clip would not have looked out of place on Buffy or Firefly.

• Options

I'd have to go for #3 too.
    It's definitely creepy, but that guy is dead without him anyway. That's not a conversation I'd like to have with the girl though, once she figures out something is very wrong.

• Options
    Mad King GeorgeMad King George Registered User regular

To put that in a slightly less confusing way, I don't think people thought Moon was good for the same reasons they thought Source Code was good, so if you don't like Moon as much as other people I'm not sure this has anything to do with how much you'd like Source Code.

Speaking of Moon, what are people's general opinions? I really liked it, but I don't know if it was because it referenced a lot of earlier scifi films or not. It did make me realize how much of it was a "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing, though, even as I watched it.

Like the
    robot being a potential threat/non-threat. That kinda quandary only exists because of things like HAL (or even Ash) which have become shorthand instead of something the film actually set up.

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular

Speaking of Moon, what are people's general opinions? I really liked it, but I don't know if it was because it referenced a lot of earlier scifi films or not. It did make me realize how much of it was a "standing on the shoulders of giants" thing, though, even as I watched it.

Like the
    robot being a potential threat/non-threat. That kinda quandary only exists because of things like HAL (or even Ash) which have become shorthand instead of something the film actually set up.

Moon was amazing and I think it was amazing complete apart from its context within a larger genre, but that doesn't matter: even if it were a good movie only because of references, it would still be a good movie. Art doesn't exist in a vacuum. It speaks to us in different ways, and if one way it speaks to us is by joining a conversation and elaborating on what has been said, then so be it.

What I liked about Moon was the soundtrack, the amazing visual effects and design, the stupendous acting, and
    the examination of personal identity, humanity, and character

and personally the whole
    Is the robot evil?

thing I could take or leave: it's not like the movie hung the entire plot on that or tried to mislead us about it or dropped a bunch of hints or anything.
    The robot's just acting like a robot and if you want to build a bunch of drama into it because you're expecting it to go crazy or whatever, then that's your deal, but the movie works whether or not you do that.

• Options

It's definitely creepy, but that guy is dead without him anyway. That's not a conversation I'd like to have with the girl though, once she figures out something is very wrong.

Well
    taking the guy's body doesn't necessarily mean he has to creepily date this girl.

• Options
    ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    My only problem with Moon was the very end. The film's interesting when it's about the philosophical issue of "Who am I?" It's much less interesting when it's about the ethics about the corporation, which remains utterly vague to begin with. They should've left the audio chatter at the end away, as far as I'm concerned.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Options
    Moon was amazing and I think it was amazing complete apart from its context within a larger genre, but that doesn't matter: even if it were a good movie only because of references, it would still be a good movie. Art doesn't exist in a vacuum. It speaks to us in different ways, and if one way it speaks to us is by joining a conversation and elaborating on what has been said, then so be it.

What I liked about Moon was the soundtrack, the amazing visual effects and design, the stupendous acting, and
    the examination of personal identity, humanity, and character

and personally the whole
    Is the robot evil?

thing I could take or leave: it's not like the movie hung the entire plot on that or tried to mislead us about it or dropped a bunch of hints or anything.
    The robot's just acting like a robot and if you want to build a bunch of drama into it because you're expecting it to go crazy or whatever, then that's your deal, but the movie works whether or not you do that.

I hope you get that I wasn't putting the film down.

I was just speaking to how it presupposes some genre conventions instead of integrating them more fully.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Thirith wrote: »
    My only problem with Moon was the very end. The film's interesting when it's about the philosophical issue of "Who am I?" It's much less interesting when it's about the ethics about the corporation, which remains utterly vague to begin with. They should've left the audio chatter at the end away, as far as I'm concerned.

I think Jones felt it necessary to do that, though, because the film had become very much about that, even if by proxy. Like the robot quandary, it's another one of those things that, like "The Company" in Alien, is now ingrained in our scifi consciousness.

After so many films in which future companies are either incompetent or outright malevolent in nature, I think he felt it's an issue that needs to be addressed if you bring up the idea of a corporation with murky motives.

Mad King George on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    Fuck yes a theater near me is screening The Raid on Friday.

Enjoy it. I haven't seen an action movie that well paced for a very long time.

You know that if an action movie has a villain named Mad Dog, that he will be super awesome (c.f. Hard Boiled).

• Options
    KalTorak wrote: »

Well
    taking the guy's body doesn't necessarily mean he has to creepily date this girl.

In theory, sure. But he's already past that point and it's safe to assume it's going to happen.
    I want to know what happens when he has to go to work the next day. Does he even know where to go? Could he even do the job?

He probably doesn't even know where he lives!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I watched a great horror movie the other week called Absentia. It's crazy low budget, the script seems like two movies squished end to end but HOLY FUCK does it ever hit the mark.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    21 Jump Street. Recommended. I am as surprised as you are.

Actually, make that strongly recommended. Worth a full price ticket - no matinee price required to feel good about cost vs. return.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options

Yep. I mean, it gets all soap opera, but you could just go, "Sorry, but I'm different person now. We would be living a lie if we stayed together."

Then you'd get on your motorcycle and spend the rest of the season in the wilderness living in a cabin you built with your hands until trouble back in town forces your inevitable return.

• Options
    Buddies wrote: »
    Seemed okay to me.

• Options

Yep. I mean, it gets all soap opera, but you could just go, "Sorry, but I'm different person now. We would be living a lie if we stayed together."

Then you'd get on your motorcycle and spend the rest of the season in the wilderness living in a cabin you built with your hands until trouble back in town forces your inevitable return.

I was thinking more romantic comedy. You know, with him meeting his own parents - either pair.

• Options
  • Options
    DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Wish Duncan Jones would get Mute written/filmed already, such an interesting concept and he doesnt seem to be doing anything at the moment other than chillin'

• Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Just came back from Iron Sky. That's the movie with the moon nazis if you haven't been paying attention.

Fairly good, with some very funny moments. Its a movie about Moon Nazis, if you expect more I think there is something wrong with you. Special Effects where good for a movie with its budget.

However... in the previews there was a trailer for Battleship and I got to say... No, just no.

Its not going to be more fun then Iron Sky and despite having a special effects budget three times the size of Iron Sky it doesn't look as good. I have already seen one movie with invasions from space and big explosions, why pay to see another. I am not going to spend money to see a Michael Bay knockoff when I have sworn of the man himself.

Kipling217 on
    The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Xenogear_0001Xenogear_0001 Registered User regular
    The alien/robot/things from Battleship look like the most generic beings of that type imaginable. Also? I don't remember there being aliens in my version of Battleship, but maybe I was just doing it wrong.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    The alien/robot/things from Battleship look like the most generic beings of that type imaginable. Also? I don't remember there being aliens in my version of Battleship, but maybe I was just doing it wrong.

There wasn't. The original games were battles between navy fleets (and submarines), that's why adding aliens to the film is so ridiculous. Okay, more ridiculous then it already is.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular

There wasn't. The original games were battles between navy fleets (and submarines), that's why adding aliens to the film is so ridiculous. Okay, more ridiculous then it already is.

Right. Is there even some sort of tie-in anymore? Or is it just the name and a freed-up "IP" with Hasbro?

14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
This discussion has been closed.