As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

annoying social networking stuff

• Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    I do social networks
    Use them for news, silly things, keeping up with folks, and cute pics.
    My tumblr has a lot of corgis.
    I don't post much on fb, but I do check it regularly.
    Tweeting all the toots.
    When I was really bored at work, I got into pinterest. Only made a cute board though.

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
  • Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    Never not on facebook chat
    Too lazy to use dedicated chat clients

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Sheri wrote: »
    People actually use Facebook chat?

I do all the time.

Way easier than trying to get AIM to agree work anymore.

Besides no one else I know uses it.

• Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    If you have a Mac check out Hibari as a Twitter client. I hear good things about it. Like, you can mute or ignore any tweet that includes X phrase or is posted by Y service.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular

I used to chat in the SE chat all of the time but it seems like every time I go in there now it's Teefs and a few others talking politics and racism and blurgh.

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I've been tempted to make a new SE++ facebook group.

That isn't populated by horrible people.

yeah that'd be nice

• Options
    JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    I think I liked one of my comments on Facebook once. Mainly because I saw the button next to it and didn't believe it would actually work.

Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    skettios wrote: »
    I do social networks
    Tweeting all the toots.
    When I was really bored at work, I got into pinterest. Only made a cute board though.

DO NOT ENCOURAGE HIM

• Options
    Also also if you use Chrome I highly recommend installing the Cortex extension. Great for sharing to FB, Tumblr, and Twitter. You can even set it up so you can post to specific people's FB walls if you wanna share something with them.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular
    skettios wrote: »
    I do social networks
    Tweeting all the toots.

I have followed you on tumblr! I feel like I'm being creepy in this thread

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    i remember when everyone was still using IM clients all the time
    and facebook chat was just being integrated
    we were all "haha man who will even use this"

it's pretty much how everyone gets in touch with each other now. No minutes on your phone? it's dead? no phone at all? boom
    i am on facebook all the goddamn time it is an addiction

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    it's really uncomfortable when people from two different spheres of your life have a disagreement on your Facebook

See, I love this. I have some people that post idiotic nonsense and I like not having to be the one who calls them on it all the time.

• Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    I don't tweet or...face (?) but I do like reading twitter a bunch whereas I think facebook's whole milieu is kind of gross

Do you facers in here feel pressured to keep up with facebook and maintain it and whatnot?

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    RubberAC wrote: »

it's pretty much how everyone gets in touch with each other now. No minutes on your phone? it's dead? no phone at all? boom

i was thinking earlier today about how i'm going to switch MD's comment system (sorry about constantly talking about this but it is taking up literally all of my time) from disqus to facebook, just because facebook is so pervasive in its integration that people will be less likely to make alt accounts because it'll log them out of everything

• Options
    Wimble wrote: »
    I don't tweet or...face (?) but I do like reading twitter a bunch whereas I think facebook's whole milieu is kind of gross

Do you facers in here feel pressured to keep up with facebook and maintain it and whatnot?
    Not really. I just usually post really inane bullshit to my wall and chat with my friends through the sidebar thing.

• Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    I've been tempted to make a new SE++ facebook group.

That isn't populated by horrible people.

yeah that'd be nice

I'm gonna play some ME3 multi right now but I'll toss together a group later tonight and post deets in this thread.

• Options
    miscellaneousinsanitymiscellaneousinsanity grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brother, i hurt peopleRegistered User regular
    it's really uncomfortable when people from two different spheres of your life have a disagreement on your Facebook

Real-life tensions between friends from different friend circles are pretty awkward, too

uc3ufTB.png
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If it wasn't for social networking and this site I wouldn't have the 11 people who read my blog when I bother to update it!

• Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    I fucking hate "if you're brave, you'll repost this bullshit picture I found." So many fuckers do this shit.

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    And re. this whole page, yeeeesh, yeah, I pretty much have no one posting any of those kinds of things on their walls

I know right. Sometimes I wonder how anyone could hate Facebook so vehemently, then I see stuff like this and it makes more sense.

• Options
    I basically treat my wall like I imagine most people do twitter.

• Options
    bowtiedsealbowtiedseal Registered User regular

nope! I hardly post anything except pictures (and then only if I know people would like to see them - mostly because they are in them, usually)

• Options
    All my friends are nerds and pretty chill.

I need to go through my FB friends and do a cull. Bunch of people I went to middle and high school with that I never see, don't particularly care about that I could remove without remorse.

• Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    who gets to decide who is horrible

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Like I said earlier, it's the only reason I haven't deleted Facebook entirely. My wife doesn't use any IM and she gets on Facebook pretty frequently so if I want to chat with her online that's how.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    who gets to decide who is horrible

A five million dollar super computer called "Deep Assholes"

• Options

i was thinking earlier today about how i'm going to switch MD's comment system (sorry about constantly talking about this but it is taking up literally all of my time) from disqus to facebook, just because facebook is so pervasive in its integration that people will be less likely to make alt accounts because it'll log them out of everything

Aw I like disqus. Though yeah, FB in theory leads to less stupid shit because by linking to FB accounts they may feel some level of accountability.

• Options
    shoe let's start a facebook group that is only you and me and a third person to be determined at a later date

Can I apply?

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    shoe let's start a facebook group that is only you and me and a third person to be determined at a later date

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    WimbleWimble Registered User regular
    How about friends or relatives who seem very pressured to maintain/keep up with faces? Y'all got any of that?

4SMZq.jpg
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular

I got a better idea

let's do that, but without the facebook part

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    WHY DO MY POSTS KEEP TELEPORTING?

• Options
    How about friends or relatives who seem very pressured to maintain/keep up with faces? Y'all got any of that?

Thankfully, no.

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    Also also if you use Chrome I highly recommend installing the Cortex extension. Great for sharing to FB, Tumblr, and Twitter. You can even set it up so you can post to specific people's FB walls if you wanna share something with them.

this is so well-designed it hurts a little
    Smart Hero wrote: »

Aw I like disqus. Though yeah, FB in theory leads to less stupid shit because by linking to FB accounts they may feel some level of accountability.

disqus' moderation tools are pretty shitty too

• Options
    I do have a now former coworker who I friended the other day and his wife does semi professional photography and she tags him in everything she posts so it shows up in my news feed. Need to mute those.

• Options
    I use firefox like a grognard.

• Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular

I got a better idea

let's do that, but without the facebook part

eff yeah alright

7656367.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    A girl on my facebook asked people to put in votes for who the father of her newborn was out of 4

• Options
    A girl on my facebook asked people to put in votes for who the father of her newborn was out of 4

Holy shit and I thought I had bad facebook friends.