Options

Video Game Industry Thread: Master Chief -- script delivery boy

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Looks like it's being made by Arkane Studios. I loved Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, so I'm certainly looking forward to this.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    Looks like it's being made by Arkane Studios. I loved Dark Messiah of Might and Magic, so I'm certainly looking forward to this.

The Deus Ex (1) Lead Designer is also working on it.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Looks pretty good.

Looks like they're going for a Neo-Victorian or whatever you'd call it feel.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Jesus Christ, I'd forgotten all about Dishonored. That looks incredible. My interest is once again piqued.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    They lost me at "driven by revenge". Hell, thay may have just said "dark anti-hero who plays by his own rules".

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

The Deus Ex (1) Lead Designer is also working on it.

./squeal!

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    darleysam wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Hold onto your butts.
    Apple could be getting back into the console game market with a helping hand from Valve, according to a report on Cult of Mac.

The Apple-focused news site followed up reports that Apple CEO Tim Cook visited the Bellevue, Washington, headquarters of Valve last week with an explanation for the executive's trip. According to Cult of Mac sources, Apple is preparing a TV set for release later this year that "will come with an Apple-branded, Kinect-like video game console." According to the site, the system will rely on motion and touch controls, possibly through a touch screen remote that will come with the TV.

The news follows rumors of Valve's entry into the hardware market. Last week, the developer posted job listings for an electronics engineer to join its hardware team, which is creating "whole new gaming experiences." The company has also said it is investigating the field of wearable computing and augmented reality.

Neither Apple nor Valve returned requests for comment as of press time.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/apple-game-console-rumored-for-2012-launch-6371858

Certainly interesting, but if Valve is just now hiring guys to work on wacky control schemes, I seriously doubt such a product would be ready for 2012.

Also: I want this product to exist simply because the cognitive dissonance stereotypical game nerds have toward loving Valve and hating Apple will cause heads to explode.

Did anyone else read Ben Kuchera's fantastic Kotaku burn on Twitter? The one where he pointed out that he'd actually written about what Valve were actually doing with these tech hires (wearable computing and biometric feedback research) some time ago, but everyone just went "LOOOOL GABEN HAS A BEARD SANTA!!" and copied the photo. Because I sincerely doubt that Valve are working with Apple to make a home console. Read that sentence back.

Well, there's also this:
    Apple CEO Tim Cook might want to consider sneaking around in disguise, because when he was spotted meeting with game developer Valve at the gaming company’s headquarters, rumors immediately began to fly. What should we make of this?

Could Apple be working on a game console to go into its rumored Apple TV? Might Apple want enhanced games for its iOS, making iPhones, iPods and iPads even more game-centric? Is there “wearable computing” in the offing for the Cupertino company?

http://mashable.com/2012/04/15/apple-valve-meeting/

So it's not based on just random coincidence. Ah well, we'll see.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    They lost me at "driven by revenge". Hell, thay may have just said "dark anti-hero who plays by his own rules".

Sometimes you just want to kill the people who screwed you over.

Such is life.

• Options
    Speaking of wacky:

sony-announces-ps3-digital-tv-hub-nasne-for-japan-20120417041033413.jpg
    Sony has announced "Nasne", a hub that will allow Playstation 3 users to digitally record up to five different TV channels simultaneously with the option of streaming the data to other Sony devices, including the PlayStation Vita.

The hub contains digital terrestrial and satellite television tuners and a 500GB hard disc drive for storing recorded programmes. Nasne is used in conjunction with "Torne", a dedicated PS3 application that supports recording programmes and transferring them to the Vita, Sony tablets and Xperia devices.
    (The "Torne" application shouldn't be confused with torne peripheral ISDB-T tuner released for the PS3 in 2010.)

By connecting a PS3 online through a LAN connection and then installing Torne, version 4.0 users will be able to watch and record digital terrestrial and satellite TV. For every Nasne device connected to the PS3, up to a maximum of four, you can record an additional channel simultaneously. It can also stream programmes to Vita or a Sony tablet.

The Vita will be able to record and watch digital terrestrial and satellite TV through a "Torne for Vita" program later in 2012. Nasne can convert a downloaded, or downloading, program from the PS3 into an exportable file and then send it to the other Sony devices via Wi-Fi for watching programmes on the move.

Sony already released the TV tuner "Play.TV" for the PS3 in 2008 in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France, which allowed users to watch and record TV to their PS3s. This would represent a big technical improvement.

Nasne launches in Japan on 19th July for 16,890 yen (approximately £133). No planned release in Europe or North America has been announced – is it something you'd like to see?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223128p1.html

That's surprisingly cheap.

• Options
    RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    They lost me at "driven by revenge".

Usually I'm only willing to give this the benefit of the doubt if it involves Liam Neeson or Denzel Washington myself.

But there are the occasional pleasant surprises otherwise.

NNID: Rehab0
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I have to say, I guess I've become too jaded to get into pre-rendered CGI trailers anymore. Don't get me wrong, the Dishonored one was certainly well done, but as a marketing ploy, I get nothing out of it other than "We are announcing/reminding everyone that we are releasing a game." As a consumer who would much rather see actual gameplay, even in it's early stages, this kind of thing does nothing for me anymore. Speeches filled with marketing buzzwords and lack of actual gameplay in trailers do nothing but throw up red flags for me.

Decoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    ...Throw up red flags?

Its a game with no release date as of yet that probably won't be out for a while. There isn't a need to release a gameplay trailer especially when said gameplay is probably still in development.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Decoy wrote: »
    I have to say, I guess I've become too jaded to get into pre-rendered CGI trailers anymore. Don't get me wrong, the Dishonored one was certainly well done, but as a marketing ploy, I get nothing out of it other than "We are announcing/reminding everyone that we are releasing a game." As a consumer who would much rather see actual gameplay, even in it's early stages, this kind of thing does nothing for me anymore. Speeches filled with marketing buzzwords and lack of actual gameplay in trailers do nothing but throw up red flags for me.

I'm still a little wary after Dead Island.

At any rate, the PC is doomed. Wii too. Also handhelds.
    Despite reports that sales of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 are beginning to slow down compared to the rest of the franchise, analyst group Cowen and Company says that this decline is down to significantly reduced sales in the PC, Wii and handheld versions, rather than the console releases.

Cowen's Doug Creutz said in his latest report that while life-to-date Modern Warfare 3 retail sales are indeed down 4.6 percent year-over-year compared to Black Ops, sales of the game on the Xbox 360 and PS3 platforms are actually slightly up year-over-year.

However, large declines in sales of the versions of the game for Nintendo Wii, handheld platforms and PC have driven the overall decline, he suggests.

He also said that sales faced "a fairly stiff challenge" from EA's Battlefield 3 which launched around the same time as Modern Warfare 3, and he pointed out that EA will not be repeating this move again this year when the next Call of Duty is released.

Overall, Cowen and Company has "slightly trimmed" its sales estimate for the next Call of Duty title to reflect the year-over-year decline of Modern Warfare 3, but the analyst believes that the chances of success for the next title in the series will remain high.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/168700/Wii_PC_retail_declines_drove_Modern_Warfare_3_drop_says_analyst.php

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    I recall the article in GI about Dishonored. At first I was kind of 'meh'ish about it. Then I read one of the devs talking about how a playtester had found a way to basically super long jump over an entire area by vaulting off a tower. One of the level designers wanted to put in an invisible ceiling or similar to stop the player from being able to do it. The dev was just, 'Eh, let em. I'd rather they play how they want.' (paraphrased. I'd have to go dig the issue up.) but yeah, I was pretty much sold at that point.

I want games I can break in amusing ways.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    ...Throw up red flags?

Its a game with no release date as of yet that probably won't be out for a while. There isn't a need to release a gameplay trailer especially when said gameplay is probably still in development.

The only red flag is that its a Bethesda published game. They don't exactly have a stellar record on their published games. I mean, Dishonored looks cool... but so did Brink.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    We've known about it since last July, there've been previews and things for it. I don't know exactly how far along its development is, but it's possible there'll be a lot of talk about it at E3, and I'd estimate a release next year. That trailer seems pretty much in line with what they've shown and talked about, as far as setting and gameplay go.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Brutal JBrutal J Sorry! Sorry, I'm sorry. Sorry. Registered User regular
    I think people are missing the obvious with this whole Value/Apple thing. Clearly, they put Steve Jobs's brain in a computer, and now it's asking for lots and lots of neuro-toxin. It says it's for sciencethe IPad 3, but they have their doubts.

Tim Cook is just looking for advice on how to proceed.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Speaking of wacky:

sony-announces-ps3-digital-tv-hub-nasne-for-japan-20120417041033413.jpg
    Sony has announced "Nasne", a hub that will allow Playstation 3 users to digitally record up to five different TV channels simultaneously with the option of streaming the data to other Sony devices, including the PlayStation Vita.

The hub contains digital terrestrial and satellite television tuners and a 500GB hard disc drive for storing recorded programmes. Nasne is used in conjunction with "Torne", a dedicated PS3 application that supports recording programmes and transferring them to the Vita, Sony tablets and Xperia devices.
    (The "Torne" application shouldn't be confused with torne peripheral ISDB-T tuner released for the PS3 in 2010.)

By connecting a PS3 online through a LAN connection and then installing Torne, version 4.0 users will be able to watch and record digital terrestrial and satellite TV. For every Nasne device connected to the PS3, up to a maximum of four, you can record an additional channel simultaneously. It can also stream programmes to Vita or a Sony tablet.

The Vita will be able to record and watch digital terrestrial and satellite TV through a "Torne for Vita" program later in 2012. Nasne can convert a downloaded, or downloading, program from the PS3 into an exportable file and then send it to the other Sony devices via Wi-Fi for watching programmes on the move.

Sony already released the TV tuner "Play.TV" for the PS3 in 2008 in the UK, Germany, Italy, Spain and France, which allowed users to watch and record TV to their PS3s. This would represent a big technical improvement.

Nasne launches in Japan on 19th July for 16,890 yen (approximately £133). No planned release in Europe or North America has been announced – is it something you'd like to see?

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223128p1.html

That's surprisingly cheap.

I wonder if it works if you don't own a Slim.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    I think if we saw really early gameplay more often it would only ensure people forming negative opinions that might not get changed that much sooner.

At any rate, the PC is doomed. Wii too. Also handhelds.

Well goddamn!

Overall, Cowen and Company has "slightly trimmed" its sales estimate for the next Call of Duty title to reflect the year-over-year decline of Modern Warfare 3, but the analyst believes that the chances of success for the next title in the series will remain high.

Way to go out on a limb there guys, I bet there is maybe just a chance that it could be successful too! I'm even willing to be so bold as to go out on a limb and predict that the chances of success for the next Pokemon game, Monster Hunter game, and Assassin's Creed III remain high as well.

Rehab on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    ...Throw up red flags?

I wasn't singling out Dishonored, per se, merely using it as the latest example of how CGI trailers, as a marketing tool, do nothing for me anymore.

The actual red flags don't come up only later on, as we get closer and closer to the actual release, when we're told how cool a game will be rather than shown how cool it actually is[n't].

Decoy on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    Bethesda still hasn't said anything about Prey 2 huh? You know the other game being published by Bethesda and only having a CGI trailer.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Oh...They did the Prey 2 trailer too.

I thought that "Freeze everything then shoot 3 people at the same time." reminded me of something.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Walking Dead gets a preview.

It was also the subject of a recent Bombcast.

I thought that "Freeze everything then shoot 3 people at the same time." reminded me of something.

Every other game with bullet time?

Rehab on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

Only if they promise it won't be a buggy mess at launch :P Seriously, DMoM&M is a great game but the thing crashed every two seconds, and when it wasn't crashing, it was bugging out in other ways. One of the buggiest games I've ever played.

Side note, I should go back to that game sometime. I eventually gave up because I was sick of it crashing on me all the time. I'm sure it has been patched by now though.

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options

Every other game with bullet time?[/quote]

I'm talking about one scene from the trailer.

It matches up almost exactly like a scene from the Prey 2 trailer. Even the perspective from which it is shown.

• Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I also would like EA to go out of business. The fact that they employ a lot of people is due to the demand for games, not EA itself. If they go out of business other firms will fill the gap they leave in the marketplace, and those other firms will employ a comparable number of people.

Rooting for EA to fold is not the same thing as rooting for people to lose their jobs.

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Again, what have they done that makes them deserve to go out of business? What is so awful about them that all those people should lose jobs, and tons of people lose their favorite game series?

LockedOnTarget on
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Again, what have they done that makes them deserve to go out of business? What is so awful about them that all those people should lose jobs, and tons of people lose their favorite game series?

Come on man don't be dumb, Mass Effect 3 ending. Also, Madden.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    I also would like EA to go out of business. The fact that they employ a lot of people is due to the demand for games, not EA itself. If they go out of business other firms will fill the gap they leave in the marketplace, and those other firms will employ a comparable number of people.

Rooting for EA to fold is not the same thing as rooting for people to lose their jobs.

How will they go out of business without a lot of their developers dying first?

• Options
    Allforce wrote: »

Come on man don't be dumb, Mass Effect 3 ending. Also, Madden.

They also did that campaign against the all the anti-LGBT letters they were receiving.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Not sure if legit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5SWgozm8xM

If thats the real deal, it looks like its sitting right at the mid point between awesome and dumb. I know the me from 10 years ago would be shitting his pants right about now.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    And for something... a little different. Nintendo hate! Though with some justification.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/baldur-s-gate-dev-slams-nintendo/094549
    Beamdog, the owner of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition developer Overhaul Games has launched a fierce attack on Nintendo.

Speaking on Twitter, Beamdog founder and former BioWare man Trent Oster confirmed that Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will not be coming to Wii U. What is more shocking was the ferocity of the reason behind it.

"We don't do Nintendo development," he stated. "Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another.

"My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit. Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers.

“The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition is due out this summer on PC, Mac and iPad. It previously ported MDK2 to WiiWare.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    YougottawannaYougottawanna Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I never used the word "deserve." And the job loss argument is a red herring. Right now EA is taking up space in the marketplace that could be filled by other firms. I could just as easily ask you what is so great about EA that people who would be employed at those other companies should NOT have jobs.

And if a game series is a favorite of so many, there's no reason why EA dying means the game series has to die.

EDIT: to the others who have posted since I wrote this, please stop assigning sarcastic opinions to me. Do you like it when people do that to you?

Yougottawanna on
  • Options
    POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    everyone please stop wishing destruction upon EA until they've put out a couple more skate games for me to play, thanks in advance

vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »
    And for something... a little different. Nintendo hate! Though with some justification.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/baldur-s-gate-dev-slams-nintendo/094549
    Beamdog, the owner of Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition developer Overhaul Games has launched a fierce attack on Nintendo.

Speaking on Twitter, Beamdog founder and former BioWare man Trent Oster confirmed that Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition will not be coming to Wii U. What is more shocking was the ferocity of the reason behind it.

"We don't do Nintendo development," he stated. "Our previous experience with Nintendo was enough to ensure there will not be another.

"My problems with Nintendo are: requiring 6000 unit sales before payment, a certification process that took us 9 months and a 40mb limit. Nintendo isn't a good platform for developers.

“The Wii is a toy, not a console."

Baldur’s Gate: Enhanced Edition is due out this summer on PC, Mac and iPad. It previously ported MDK2 to WiiWare.

Wow, dude's spitting some venom there...

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    MDK2 was a weird fit for the Wiiware service, though they did a good job.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    everyone please stop wishing destruction upon EA until they've put out a couple more skate games for me to play, thanks in advance

With a new Mirror's Edge in between.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options

You mean.. skADVERTISINGate?

Skate is an awesome series and I'm hoping they're just leatting it breathe for a bit rather than over-saturate the market. Because I would dearly love it to be a thing that didn't go away.

Also on the Big Companies You Love To Hate, I despise the way Activision treats.. well, everyone. But I don't want them to go bust or 'crash and burn', I want them to use their massive resources to do better things. Yeah I haven't bought any of their games for a while, partly because I don't want to support them with my money, but also in a large way made easier because I've just not been that interested in anything they've put out. But I don't wish for their doom, just a change in direction. It's pretty weak to want the things you don't like to be burnt to the ground.

This is why people who act like that get sarcasm and insults in response.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Decoy wrote: »
    ...Throw up red flags?

I wasn't singling out Dishonored, per se, merely using it as the latest example of how CGI trailers, as a marketing tool, do nothing for me anymore.

The actual red flags don't come up only later on, as we get closer and closer to the actual release, when we're told how cool a game will be rather than shown how cool it actually is[n't].

Yeah, I'm with you. When I watch a trailer, I'll actually fast forward through any CGI stuff to get to the gameplay. If there's no gameplay in the trailer, then it's worthless to me.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Explain a little why you think EA are so bad that you hope they go bust?

Duh.

They're not Nintendo or Valve.

;)

This discussion has been closed.