Options

[Airbender] The legend of Korra: I am the solution.

• Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Requiring $30,000 to enter a tournament is pretty douchey.

Free Market!

While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    Considering the single coin dropped in Bolin's cup, I'd say it's more like $3000, not $30,000. Which, while still ridiculous, at least sort of makes sense I guess? Presumably the winners claim the whole pot?

• Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    EvilOtaku wrote: »
    I believe the gangsters were in on Amon's scheme. Bolin was originally going to be let go so he could be the one to spread word of the "Revelation".
    Alternatively, Amon could be using hypnosis or some advanced form of chi blocking.

However, when Korra told Tenzin about all this, Tenzin went a bit shifty eyed. He knows more about this then he is letting on.
    They had an entire audience to do this. One that more than likely had other benders in it too. They don't need some random bender from on stage too.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    Could Energybending be used to give powers to non-benders? If it can wang some bender's chakras or whatever to turn off their bending, could it work the other way too?
    Hmmm. What if he's actually stealing the bending? Become more powerful with each one.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Could Energybending be used to give powers to non-benders? If it can wang some bender's chakras or whatever to turn off their bending, could it work the other way too?
    Hmmm. What if he's actually stealing the bending? Become more powerful with each one.
    The thought occurred to me, especially given the way the bending sort of... reversed. It didn't just stop, like it had been blocked, it had an odd sense to it.

That, and I'm a fan of Charmed.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Tamin wrote: »
    The thought occurred to me, especially given the way the bending sort of... reversed. It didn't just stop, like it had been blocked, it had an odd sense to it.

That, and I'm a fan of Charmed.
    That effect was awesome too. Lightning to fire to sputters.

New villains are scary. Lots of neat tech and all extremely mobile. Can't wait to see new Team Avatar get a little more competent.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I too think at some point Korra is going to get blocked only to blow through it with avatar state, after all she possesses the spirit of hundreds of benders.

It's really interesting, at the start of TLA, Aang was already an incredibly competent combatant, and probably would have been a match for the equalist ninjas. Korra is talented, but she isn't very skilled (relatively speaking of course). I'm glad there's a lot of divergence there, this series is completely different while still being familiar.

override367 on
  • Options
    Also important:
    Polar bear dog/Motorcycle chase scenes.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I too think at some point Korra is going to get blocked only to blow through it with avatar state, after all she possesses the spirit of hundreds of benders.

It's really interesting, at the start of TLA, Aang was already an incredibly competent combatant, and probably would have been a match for the equalist ninjas. Korra is talented, but she isn't very skilled (relatively speaking of course). I'm glad there's a lot of divergence there, this series is completely different while still being familiar.

Aang had also been airbending his whole life, which is like, the essence of mobility.

how is no one talking about
    how ferocious Pabo was? rawr!

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CaptainNemoCaptainNemo Registered User regular

Aang had also been airbending his whole life, which is like, the essence of mobility.

We never see Pabu and Amon in the same place at that same time. Amon confirmed for Pabu + a Ballon.

Anyone else notice that Amon and Mako's stories sounded awfully similar?

PSN:CaptainNemo1138
    Shitty Tumblr:lighthouse1138.tumblr.com
  • Options
    OldSlackerOldSlacker Registered User regular
    Oh, so it was Lance Henriksen as the head henchman.

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

We never see Pabu and Amon in the same place at that same time. Amon confirmed for Pabu + a Ballon.

"Firebenders are aggressive assholes"?

Tamin on
  • Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    This was everything I hoped it would be, and more.

Dare I say it?

I think that Korra is better than TLA.

• Options
    ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    I also have no problem at all accepting that
    Aman has discovered a way to permanently block chi. I don't buy any of the koh the facestealer stuff, and I think the spirit thing was a ruse.

Predictions
    Mako ends up slowly becoming seduced by Amon's ideals, and abandons Team Fire Ferrets to stop people from bending after he and Korra have a fight about something stupid. He ultimately comes back to his senses when Amon takes away Korra's bending and is about to kill her, and then he finds a way to unblock chi and saves her.

I also really hope Amon is unconnected to anyone in the previous series. The cameos were fun, but if the show relies on them too heavily it will ultimately fail...which I don't think they are going to do.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Korra = a god
    Aman = a man

Aman is erasing the gap between the haves and the have-nots. He's a reverse-Magneto! EQUALITY THROUGH ELIMINATION!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I should pay closer attention to the credits. Apparently not only is Tenzin J.J Jameson, but Mako is Bud freakin' Bundy.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    Really? I thought Tenzin was Cave Johnson. :)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    Klyka wrote: »
    I love the idea of a "power plant" in the Avatar world.
    And of course Lightning Benders being super normal and casual now.

That part made so little sense.

• Options
    Bending doesn't make sense.

• Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular

I thought Mako was just redirecting the lightning which isn't as difficult as creating lightning since Zuko could do it.

• Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    I was referring to more the scale of power production.

Also, Amon will be beaten by a wooden board with a nail.

• Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »

I thought Mako was just redirecting the lightning which isn't as difficult as creating lightning since Zuko could do it.

We've already seen steam equipment, and coal is hardly out of the question. My theory is that it's not even a major part of what the power companies use, but it's a cheap source they use where they can. And of course, anyone who can get into the frame of mind to bend lightning will jump at the chance, because what's peanuts to the power companies(compared to paying someone to maintain and run a much larger, more complex piece of machinery to generate the power) is a pretty solid wage for basic work.

• Options
    KelorKelor Registered User regular
    edited April 2012

I don't know man, up until he said that his parents where killed by a firebender guy I was totally thinking that story matched up with the family Zuko ran into when he was off by himself. He rolls into that town and they're being harassed by the local Fire Nation forces.

Was 90% sure Amon was going to be the kid that Zuko met, except Zuko shut those guys down before he left, the family didn't die.

Kelor on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    If Amon is energy-bending, it says a lot about him given that if you're at all 'weak' at bending, when you energybend there's a decent chance it'll mess you up.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Tertiee wrote: »

Yeah they were using Iroh's redirect motions.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I thought the power plant scene made little sense because, well, I feel like just bending water, fire or Air can easily generate power. Then again, maybe what the lightning benders are doing is simply filling capacitors?

• Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    Not sure about the lightning bending becoming all super common now - even triad guys can do it? The pinnacle of fire bending?

The rest was ok. I'm having trouble with it in that Aang was a much more likable protagonist.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Given how rare and special being able to generate lightning was in the original, I don't think they'd just make it so anyone can do it now; they're probably just redirecting it. Iroh said it was dangerous and difficult to do, but it's obviously less ridiculous than being able to create it.

They probably do use 'regular' bending to generate electricity, but whenever there's a lightning storm they send out their best guys to catch some bonus juice.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Really? I like Korra a lot. It's a little hard because she doesn't have an easily identified goal, but she seems like a genuinely good person that isn't entirely sure of her role in the world yet.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    korra is great

poo
  • Options
    MorblitzMorblitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    Raynaga wrote: »
    Not sure about the lightning bending becoming all super common now - even triad guys can do it? The pinnacle of fire bending?

The rest was ok. I'm having trouble with it in that Aang was a much more likable protagonist.

No, it's not a common thing.
    The ONE triad guy that could do it has a nickname after his ability. Lightning bolt Zolt. Because it's kind of a big deal. When I saw him bend I expected to see lightning.
    He's also fairly old. I'd wager he had a lot of training. Lightning bending isn't something that the common trash can do. It's an exceptional technique.
    We don't know enough about Zolt to make assumptions based on how common he is. Maybe he's a bending prodigy? Might be why he rose to the top of the triads?
    Who knows?

Morblitz on
    3DS Pokemon Y Friend Code: 0645 5780 8920
    Please shoot me a PM if you add me so I know to add you back.
  • Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    I love Korra as the main character. I love that she's a (freakishly strong) chick, that she has curves and muscles and isn't just "inexplicably good at fighting super model," that she has some pretty understandable flaws for an overconfident teenager born into circumstances she doesn't even realize are privileged, that she looks balls to the walls awesome when they animate her fighting. and also she's BROWN! BROWN! BROWN LADY LEADING PROTAGONISTS IN THE HOUSE!

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Yeah, but wasn't Metal bending even rarer than lightning bending? And now there's an entire police force that does it? i dunno, maybe it's because Toph or her daughter were incredible teachers or maybe benders are getting better and better in a few generations.

• Options
    HakkekageHakkekage Space Whore Academy summa cum laudeRegistered User regular
    Also: The music in this series is really beautiful, especially during the fight scenes. The music for the original series was similarly great, but since Nickelodeon hates money apparently, they never released an OST. Let's hope the network has been suitably shamed by their utter mishandling of the series last time around.

3DS: 2165 - 6538 - 3417
    NNID: Hakkekage
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    I like this idea of Aman being reverse-Magneto. Even though we've only seen him for one episode and he could change completely, consider:

Magneto wanted to rid the world of the ordinary and leave the exceptional. Aman wants to do it the other way.
    Magneto wears a helmet that covered his head but left his face exposed. Aman wears a mask that covers his face and leaves his head exposed.
    Magneto never gets physical in fights. He pewpews his enemies from a distance. Aman hops and bops and twirls his way close to his enemy and kung-fus them barehanded.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    Also: The music in this series is really beautiful, especially during the fight scenes. The music for the original series was similarly great, but since Nickelodeon hates money apparently, they never released an OST. Let's hope the network has been suitably shamed by their utter mishandling of the series last time around.

Yeah, I've been really impressed by the music. Most of the time I don't notice it (Which is a complement in and of itself), but when I do, I just wanna listen to it all day.

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yeah, but wasn't Metal bending even rarer than lightning bending? And now there's an entire police force that does it? i dunno, maybe it's because Toph or her daughter were incredible teachers or maybe benders are getting better and better in a few generations.

Metalbending might actually be really easy to do, once you know how. The reason it was so unique is that no one had thought of it. Once one Earthbender knows how, they could teach everyone. ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    I'm wondering why Chief Beifong hasn't been all up in Korra's face. In one of the most hilarious scenes yet, she gestured "I'm watching you."

And Tenzin went back on his promise to get Korra out of Republic City. I was looking forward to Beifong being all in Korra's grill.

• Options
    Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    Hakkekage wrote: »
    I love Korra as the main character. I love that she's a (freakishly strong) chick, that she has curves and muscles and isn't just "inexplicably good at fighting super model," that she has some pretty understandable flaws for an overconfident teenager born into circumstances she doesn't even realize are privileged, that she looks balls to the walls awesome when they animate her fighting. and also she's BROWN! BROWN! BROWN LADY LEADING PROTAGONISTS IN THE HOUSE!

:^:

• Options
    Based on the character design and general cultures, I've always though the water tribe were Inuit/Eskimo/Native American, the Air Nomads Japanese, the Fire Nation Chinese and not sure about Earth.

But yeah, it's nice to have strong main characters that aren't Caucasian. Something both the last series and this one are doing right, but the movie fucked up.

I never did see the movie.

I think I'm better off for that fact.

This discussion has been closed.