Options

[Chat]y Back

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    I know quite a few Catholics who feel overwhelming guilt about life but aren't sure why. They've brought this up to me. What the hell is with that religion!

They are like Jews. Guilt is genetic.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    I know quite a few Catholics who feel overwhelming guilt about life but aren't sure why. They've brought this up to me. What the hell is with that religion!

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Thanatos wrote: »
    It's TomeWyrm! Amigo! Have I spoken to you on the joys of the League of Legends? Join our cult.
    @TomeWyrm ignore these heretics; join the Super Monday Night Combat crew!
    "Super Monday Night Combat crew" is an interesting way to describe you crying alone in your basement while sharpening a straight razor.

Might want to add it to Urban Dictionary.
    "Cult" is an interesting way to describe you dressing your cats up in adorable little outfits, and sitting them around a table where you pretend to serve tea.

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular

Guilt is a huge part of the Catholic dogma that most in the faith carry a little of.

"Jesus died because you are such a fuckup. He did all this suffering for YOU and THIS is how you choose to live your life? In Sin?!? How dare you squander the gift he has given you!"

Yeah, that part of the message is pretty horrible.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    bowen wrote: »
    Also if you don't serialize yourself, you're gonna have a super bad time... if urahonky in the programming thread is any indication.

Well either serialize yourself or make extensive use of markup attributes in your code indicating how your classes should be serialized. I prefer to write it myself.

edit: and of course you really should never be sending something over the wire where you just let some black-box serializer rip your internal data down to a stream. That is a huge security nono.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I want NPH in more things that are good.

The list of great things starring NPH is one item long.

(Dr. Horrible.)

wandering on
  • Options
    OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    Every girl I think is super hot turns out to be Jewish. I got a thing for dark eyed brunettes.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    I dunno what all this poop talk is. Didn't your doctors tell your ladywives to do an enima before they came to the hospital? Pooping was never a thing for us because we are sensible.

So seriously.... her water broke, contractions started... and you went for the hose and the enema gear?

Wow. I mean, that is really courteous for the people doing the delivery, but I have never heard of someone doing that before you.

er

Most labor does not begin with water breaking. Our first one, she did the thing with the poop removal, then we went to the grocery store and walked around for an hour or so picking out stuff she'd like to eat. Then we checked out, went to the birthing center, and they sent us home for a while. A couple hours later we went back because the contractions were less than 10min apart, and stayed until birth +14 hours or so, then went home.

• Options
    It's TomeWyrm! Amigo! Have I spoken to you on the joys of the League of Legends? Join our cult.
    "Super Monday Night Combat crew" is an interesting way to describe you crying alone in your basement while sharpening a straight razor.

"Cult" is an interesting way to describe you dressing your cats up in adorable little outfits, and sitting them around a table where you pretend to serve tea.

That sounds fucking awesome. Holy shit, I wish they would sit still through the whole tea service but they just won't!

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    I dunno what all this poop talk is. Didn't your doctors tell your ladywives to do an enima before they came to the hospital? Pooping was never a thing for us because we are sensible.

So seriously.... her water broke, contractions started... and you went for the hose and the enema gear?

Wow. I mean, that is really courteous for the people doing the delivery, but I have never heard of someone doing that before you.

er

Most labor does not begin with water breaking. Our first one, she did the thing with the poop removal, then we went to the grocery store and walked around for an hour or so picking out stuff she'd like to eat. Then we checked out, went to the birthing center, and they sent us home for a while. A couple hours later we went back because the contractions were less than 10min apart, and stayed until birth +14 hours or so, then went home.
    Yeah, I just types stream of conscious there... got stuff a little out of order, but still... I have never heard of this before.

I mean, it's a really nice gesture, but I can't imagine its super common for a person to care to do the enema before getting in the car and heading to the hospital.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    wandering wrote: »

The list of great things starring NPH is one item long.

(Dr. Horrible.)

Slapsgiving.
    Harold & Kumar's Christmas movie.
    DOOGIE HOWSER.

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

That sounds fucking awesome. Holy shit, I wish they would sit still through the whole tea service but they just won't!

I wonder if cats would like catnip tea....

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod

er

my super hippie/naturalist/anti-vaxxer friend laura did something like this i think. she paid for what was basically a nice apartment for a few days and it includes a midwife. and you just sort of go there with a few family members and friends and have your private space outside of a hospital.

• Options
    wandering wrote: »

The list of great things staring NPH in a major role that I have seen is one item long.

(Dr. Horrible.)

You are missing Harold and Kumar and Doogie Howser MD. Also all the cool shit he did on Broadway.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    For me the issue is the combination of horrible religion AND that religion being one that tends to stress reproduction. Being dumped because you don't want kids feels goddamn horrible.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Organichu wrote: »
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    Guys. There are too many cute Catholic girls.

It's like "Oh hey there's a nice-looking girl and oh fuck Catholic NOOOOOOOO."

Erry day. :(

your shit's fucked in the head

eh? I'm not disagreeing with that in general about jewcar ( :bz ) but if I was single I sure as hell wouldn't want to date someone who identified as religious.

your shit's fucked in the head, too!

you live in a major coastal population center. devoutly religious people exist. but the majority of people identify as 'belonging to a religion' regardless of how religious they are. it's that or 'i don't know exactly what i believe but i'm sort of spiritual'. meh. it's whatever. people absorb a huge amount of programming from their environment. unless they are pledging to become nuns, who cares? you're really slicing out a huge section of the population there.
    The cities in the Pacific Northwest actually largely pride themselves on being tremendously secular.

Even the people who do identify as "Catholic" and show up for Mass on Sundays end up telling the church to fuck off some of the time.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular

er

Yeah, I just types stream of conscious there... got stuff a little out of order, but still... I have never heard of this before.

I mean, it's a really nice gesture, but I can't imagine its super common for a person to care to do the enema before getting in the car and heading to the hospital.

It's courteous, sure, but I bet the woman also loves not shitting herself while pushing out a baby.

• Options
    For me the issue is the combination of horrible religion AND that religion being one that tends to stress reproduction. Being dumped because you don't want kids feels goddamn horrible.

That happens in both directions all the time regardless of religion.

Some people want to spawn and some don't. They probably shouldn't be in a long term relationship if they don't agree on that one.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    my super hippie/naturalist/anti-vaxxer friend laura did something like this i think. she paid for what was basically a nice apartment for a few days and it includes a midwife. and you just sort of go there with a few family members and friends and have your private space outside of a hospital.

It actually turns out that this is legitimately better for most births.

Lower rate of institutional infections and less stress on the mother.

As long as it's a board-certified nurse-midwife attending the delivery... the midwife can identity irregularities that require the attention of an OB in a hospital.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

er

It's courteous, sure, but I bet the woman also loves not shitting herself while pushing out a baby.

I don't think that would really work. The average time in labor for a first birth is 16 hours.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    my favourite thing in the world is making a catholic explain to me that there are no more paedophiles, percentage-wise, in the priesthood than in the general population

but that the big difference is that the general population goes out of its way to make sure paedophiles are punished, while the church just tries to hush it up

its fun

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Midwifery is often associated with homeopathic hippie bullshit

but it's also a legitimate medical profession

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    why did she do the natural birth, spool

was this one of those 'be in touch with mother gaia, feel the love of my life system' type hippie things?

or was it medically necessary

Well, a combination of things. One of them is that interventions tend to cascade, and oftentimes pitosin-induced labor leads to epidural leads to unproductive contractions leads to sedative + c-section leads to being stoned and confused and unable to nurse because of the drugs and missing the first minutes of your baby's life.

Natural births hurt more but often take less time and dude, the endorphins make you a superhero with near total memory loss. It's just easier to do all the things you want to do during birth if you're not strapped to a hospital bed with an IV and a heart monitor and rails and a dozen strange people telling you to get in bed when walking around makes the labor progress.

Another part was her strong feeling that pregnancy is not a disease, and birth is not a medical procedure.

She did all three naturally, two in the Austin Area Birthing Center and one in a special ward of a hospital that did basically the same thing.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    Also if you don't serialize yourself, you're gonna have a super bad time... if urahonky in the programming thread is any indication.

Well either serialize yourself or make extensive use of markup attributes in your code indicating how your classes should be serialized. I prefer to write it myself.

edit: and of course you really should never be sending something over the wire where you just let some black-box serializer rip your internal data down to a stream. That is a huge security nono.

Yeah.

I may have over simplified because I pretty much always break it down by encoding to a byte array. Though it's been a while since I've touched C++, doesn't the STD fix this issues with the String class? I mean you could pretty much just use std::wstring for everything if you wanted.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options

Some people want to spawn and some don't. They probably shouldn't be in a long term relationship if they don't agree on that one.

Indeed. Though I think the same about religion. Never would be in a LTR with someone who identified as a believer.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Actually... yeah, that does sound kind of awesome.

I would probably show up for that. :oops:

• Options
    Disco TerrierDisco Terrier Jowls aquiver. Registered User regular
    I really liked iD Tech 4 games for some reason. Doom, Quake 4 and Prey were all just really fun to me.

I don't understand the vitriol people have towards them.

yGxvf.png
  • Options
    incenj i thought you had a lady

• Options

Yeah.

I may have over simplified because I pretty much always break it down by encoding to a byte array. Though it's been a while since I've touched C++, doesn't the STD fix this issues with the String class? I mean you could pretty much just use std::wstring for everything if you wanted.

The STL in general (and in particular String) was too little too late. You use those as much as possible but every goddamn library / framework / platform will require you to be able to convert those std:Strings into all kinds of other bullshit formats.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options

Certainly. It just raises the chance of someone going "Oh by the way turns out I DO want kids." later on and turning a splendid romantic relationship into horrible depression.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »

As long as it's a board-certified nurse-midwife attending the delivery... the midwife can identity irregularities that require the attention of an OB in a hospital.

she was also super in love with me and named her son after me without talking to me o.oi

I bet she's talking all kinds of natural remedies that prevent aging so when her son is old enough she can consummate her love for you.

• Options

she was also super in love with me and named her son after me without talking to me o.oi

• Options
    pregnancy is not a disease, and birth is not a medical procedure.

what!?

first girl i knock up, i'm feeding her chemo

• Options

you need to use that leverage to get that kid vaccinated dude. People in the US are dying of pertussus (aka whooping cough) because of horrible shitbags like your friend.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    incenj i thought you had a lady

I did.

And then she said she wanted babies.

That is why I don't fit in my nice shirts anymore.

• Options
    bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    The STL in general (and in particular String) was too little too late. You use those as much as possible but every goddamn library / framework / platform will require you to be able to convert those std:Strings into all kinds of other bullshit formats.

True, true. Kind of like Qt.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • Options
    Sarksus wrote: »

I bet she's talking all kinds of natural remedies that prevent aging so when her son is old enough she can consummate her love for you.

that shit ain't even funny! that baby so coulda been mine. like she must have conceived less than half a year after we hooked up. scary!

• Options

Indeed. Though I think the same about religion. Never would be in a LTR with someone who identified as a believer.

Your call, though there are many shades of gray between atheist and religious nutjob.

There are lots of people who "believe" that don't fill their home with crosses and pray for your eternal soul because you are a heathen, and probably wouldn't even go to mass or force you to get your kids baptized (rather letting it be their choice down the road).

On the other hand, wanting kids or not wanting kids does not leave a lot of room for nuance.

Being a believer is not a Mark of Cain and something to run away from screaming - it is simply the fact that the believe in something greater than themselves. How they APPLY that belief to their daily life and interactions is where drawing the line should exist, IMO.

Never gonna date a bona fide evangelical. Never ever.

SW-4158-3990-6116
  • Options
    Midwifery is often associated with homeopathic hippie bullshit

but it's also a legitimate medical profession

It's unfortunate that it gets wrapped up in all the hippie dippie holistic craziness, because there's a pile of legit reasons to avoid a hospital for a healthy mother and a low-risk birth. Also, people who want to breastfeed immediately or not have their children taken from them immediately after birth have few options in a hospital unless there's a husband willing to raise hell.

Seems like paranoia but then we had that thing where Texas was saving heel-stick blood (fucking barbaric in the first place) from infants to build a law-enforcement DNA database the parents had never consented to. Imagine my simultaneous rage and trollface when I found out it was happening, and none of my kids were subjected to it.

• Options

Yup. Access to proper clean facilities, trained personal and access to emergency car if need be is what is required. Midwifes are perfectly fine for most births. But being able to get to a doctor in case of complications. Also the birthing facility needs to be sterile including all instruments used. That is really important.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.