As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

TERA: Game is out! You should come play it!

• Options
    GrundlestiltskinGrundlestiltskin Behind you!Registered User regular
    Can anyone that claimed a PAX East code confirm they got their frostlion?

I did, yes.

3DS FC: 2079-6424-8577 | PSN: KaeruX65 | Steam: Karulytic | FFXIV: Wonder Boy
  • Options
    Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    Got Into the 20s today with my arc..... Ran BoLT twice and killed a grip of BAMs.... I.... I think I'm in love.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    DelphinidaesDelphinidaes FFXIV: Delphi Kisaragi Registered User regular
    Greg USN wrote: »
    Got Into the 20s today with my arc..... Ran BoLT twice and killed a grip of BAMs.... I.... I think I'm in love.

It's been awhile since an MMO has just been "fun" right?

That's how it was for me, I don't even care what I'm doing really, I'm just having fun.

NNID: delphinidaes
    Official PA Forums FFXIV:ARR Free Company <GHOST> gitl.enjin.com Join us on Sargatanas!
    delphinidaes.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    what do arches do in dungeons? do they even use those charge arrows?

• Options
    JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    Hmm, I think I remember saying at some point I'd take another look at TERA a month after release, just to see how it does first. I lied.

Reeeeeeaaally last minute "pre-order", with less than an hour till launch. See you guys on Dragonfall. You know, when this download eventually finishes.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Lancer is pretty boring.

Yet I don't care. I'm a little girl stabbing things with a lance bigger than my character. This is sufficient for now.

Those gold skins look awesome.

Also: at first the way the game looked really bothered me. It was too ultra neon Mario 64 colored.

Disabling that light thing? Yeah, I love it. The colors darken a ton and just look so much better to me. A lot of the other settings honestly barely seem to make a difference though.

shadow 5 and 4 isn't a huge change, though 3 is pretty bad. The model complexity slider or whatever, though? I couldn't even tell just from watching my avatar while hitting apply. Maybe I should have zoomed in more. Anyone know of any sites with comparisons?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    JaentherJaenther Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Jars wrote: »

http://youtu.be/e33Ohnxs0Hw
    I make no claims as to this guy's competence, but he lays out a pretty straightforward cycle of charge attacks followed by the mana recovering basic attack bursts. I'm planning an archer for my first character, so I guess I'll find out.

Jaenther on
  • Options
    KeysierKeysier Registered User regular
    I'm definitely giving this my wait and see policy

I liked the concept and the combat during beta. My only major problem is the lack of PvP objectives. I don't mind open pvp, I love it, I just want objects to fight over and things of such nature

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    I'm stoked we get the Golden Dragon weapon skins. Fuck yes.

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Figuring on picking this up and paying for a month or two.

Gonna get me a lion, and those skins.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    Lancer is pretty boring.

Yet I don't care. I'm a little girl stabbing things with a lance bigger than my character. This is sufficient for now.

Also: at first the way the game looked really bothered me. It was too ultra neon Mario 64 colored.

Disabling that light thing? Yeah, I love it. The colors darken a ton and just look so much better to me. A lot of the other settings honestly barely seem to make a difference though.

shadow 5 and 4 isn't a huge change, though 3 is pretty bad. The model complexity slider or whatever, though? I couldn't even tell just from watching my avatar while hitting apply. Maybe I should have zoomed in more. Anyone know of any sites with comparisons?

Yeah, disabling the bright and colourful sun filter makes the game look much nicer.

• Options
    TornelcoTornelco ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Is anyone else getting Error 500 when trying to log in?

Edit- Yeah for whatever reason I can't log in to anything, the game or the website.

Edit Edit- I was able to log in with another account, but my own account is still fucked.

Edit Edit Edit- It was pointed out to me that I am not alone in my issues. My issues are still frustrating though, first night I would have been able to play for hours on end without concern for work the next day.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    BeezelBeezel There was no agreement little morsel..Registered User regular
    yeah that is new one. o.o

PSN: Waybackkidd
    "...only mights and maybes."
  • Options
    Just a reminder: If you're new to the game and want into the guild, make sure you mention that you're from PA via whisper or in your guild app. I want to cut down on the number of randoms in guild if I can help it.

• Options
    QuintessinQuintessin Registered User regular
    Hope the constant downtime is just a thing with Headstart/Launch and won't become a regular thing, like it did for the first month almost of SWTOR.

• Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43d9sZjgcRI

Baraka race vid finally up. added to the OP

• Options
    I still can't log into the website, I'm really hoping this downtime fixes it. Still 107 in the queue after 3 hours.

• Options
    Toxic PickleToxic Pickle Thash grape! Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

That's how it was for me, I don't even care what I'm doing really, I'm just having fun.

I hate to put it this way, as it feels like I'm bad-mouthing games I have claimed to enjoy, but it's true. Last night, I logged on after seeing that warrior tutorial video a couple pages back, deciding that I was going to see how it improved my game. It did, but in the course of my experimenting I went through the series of quests which included the Kumas, Nagas, Juggernauts, etc.

That is to say, a fuckton of BAMs. Grouped up with a Mystic and occasionally a Sorcerer, I rolled through all these massive creatures and completely lost track of time, which is something that hasn't happened in an MMO for me in... ever.

Playing a Warrior in this way is somewhat exhausting, being always right on the bleeding edge of disaster. It's also goddamn fun.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Beezel wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43d9sZjgcRI

Baraka race vid finally up. added to the OP

Trying to find vids of their non-priest animations is difficult.

Anyone have any good Baraka Warrior vids?

Neurotika on
  • Options
    Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular

Confirmed, but I had to contact support when I first put in the code two weeks ago 'cause it didn't work. Once I did, I made sure they gave my frostlion at that time. Your mileage may vary.

3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • Options

I hate to put it this way, as it feels like I'm bad-mouthing games I have claimed to enjoy, but it's true. Last night, I logged on after seeing that warrior tutorial video a couple pages back, deciding that I was going to see how it improved my game. It did, but in the course of my experimenting I went through the series of quests which included the Kumas, Nagas, Juggernauts, etc.

That is to say, a fuckton of BAMs. Grouped up with a Mystic and occasionally a Sorcerer, I rolled through all these massive creatures and completely lost track of time, which is something that hasn't happened in an MMO for me in... ever.

Playing a Warrior in this way is somewhat exhausting, being always right on the bleeding edge of disaster. It's also goddamn fun.

If bluehole/EME could get their shit together on quests to make you give a shit about them past wanting to fight more stuff with this amazing combat system this would literally be the perfect mmo.

• Options
    Yep, servers are back up and I am still fucked.

For those of you following, 4 hours in queue for support and only about 3/4s through the line.

• Options
    Servers down again?

• Options
    According to the Tera website they are up again. Was only supposed to be an hour downtime.

• Options
    Tornelco wrote: »

For those of you following, 4 hours in queue for support and only about 3/4s through the line.

whatever they were doing with account maintenance earlier something got hosed and they had to abort the process. My guess is this new error is related to that. some people didn't get hit by it at all and others have been touched by this new issue to varying degrees. Yours seems to be the most extreme example.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I can login, but can't connect to any servers. Says, "Unable to access the server at this time" no matter which one I pick.

Edit: After several attempts it finally worked.

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options
    Up again it seems

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Beezel wrote: »
    Tornelco wrote: »

whatever they were doing with account maintenance earlier something got hosed and they had to abort the process. My guess is this new error is related to that. some people didn't get hit by it at all and others have been touched by this new issue to varying degrees. Yours seems to be the most extreme example.

I was on earlier. Well, yesterday at that point. Got off around 11:30 or so, when I got back shortly after midnight I couldn't log in.

I'm thinking it may have something to do with the accounts swapping over from early activation to the actual launch at midnight.

Tornelco on
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Confirmed, but I had to contact support when I first put in the code two weeks ago 'cause it didn't work. Once I did, I made sure they gave my frostlion at that time. Your mileage may vary.

Yeah, this basically. When I used the code it created a second account, I asked customer support to merge them.

Right there with you. Logged in last night to "tank" the Kumas and Nagas quests. Spent the whole time just trying to stay in a 180 degree arc in front of the mob holding aggro and avoiding as many attacks as possible. It was a blast, and utter chaos.

Then I tried to "stop" the Naga leaping charge attack with a Pounce and I went squish. Whoops.

Grundlestiltskin on
  • Options
    flapjackflapjack Registered User regular
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Lancer is pretty boring.

Yeah, disabling the bright and colourful sun filter makes the game look much nicer.

Is this the "Lighting Enhancement" slider mentioned in the OP?

• Options
    Jaenther wrote: »
    Jars wrote: »

http://youtu.be/e33Ohnxs0Hw
    I make no claims as to this guy's competence, but he lays out a pretty straightforward cycle of charge attacks followed by the mana recovering basic attack bursts. I'm planning an archer for my first character, so I guess I'll find out.

That's basically what I do. Plus on trash mobs I'll move in and AOE close quarters with breakaway bolt followed by more charges to keep the DPS up.

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    downtiiiime

t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Right there with you. Logged in last night to "tank" the Kumas and Nagas quests. Spent the whole time just trying to stay in a 180 degree arc in front of the mob holding aggro and avoiding as many attacks as possible. It was a blast, and utter chaos.

Then I tried to "stop" the Naga leaping charge attack with a Pounce and I went squish. Whoops.

The silly part is killing them solo is waaaaay easier than tanking them for a group.... takes longer, but since you can roll through the boss its just stupid easy.

Hit 30 on my warrior last night, tanked SM once. Had trouble on the big boss in there, rest was super easy. From what I can tell, when the boss summons adds he just attacks all over the place and no one should bother tanking him? Got myself killed trying to. Ive seen in videos that bosses who summon adds can be stopped if you apply any sorta CC before they do it... not sure if that was a glitch thats been fixed or if we were just missing it... cause he still summoned them.

edit:
    I need to farm some more Kumas for triz runes now. I crafted some dual blades with 359 attack, with 9 triz runes I can turn them into the attuned version... but it has lower attack.
    So I made these> http://teracodex.com/item/88
    Which upgrade to these> http://teracodex.com/item/81

That description for the attuned ones dont show the text about needing identified though. I assume once I do so it will have better stats than the previous version?

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Finally managed to get that problem fixed. ]

For those curious, the problem was that I had a trial account and a preorder account. Just in case someone else gets that problem.

• Options
    failedninjafailedninja Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Thanks. I put in the code a few weeks ago and it bugged or something because I didn't get a confirmation screen. But when I tried to re-enter it, the code didn't work so I assumed it went through. I used the TERABETA code (or whatever it was for open beta) later to get the beta client. I asked a support GM to check if the PAX code was registered and he said it was.

I guess if it hasn't shown up by the time I get home tonight, I'll just put a ticket in.

failedninja on
  • Options
    hoodie13hoodie13 punch bro Registered User regular
    I love that doing quests actually seems to be worthwhile. I get the majority of my XP from completing quests, like 75k XP for doing a little kill quest or 25k for grabbing an item a ways from the camp. Alternatively I could go kill BAMs, but this balance is niiiice.

PSN: HoodieThirteen
    XBL: Torn Hoodie
    @hoodiethirteen
  • Options
    Yeah the questing It's a lot of fun and when you start getting bored of "kill x of y" you can pretty easily find a BAM PUG or queue/join an instance. Plus the 3 classes I have so far are so amazingly different that they feel like playing 3 different games. Hopefully it holds my attention for a while because the combat is silly fun and the game bogs you down with very little to prevent you from fighting. Also no gear damage is fantastic!

FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • Options
    grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    Some quests are chump change, but when they are all grouped in a quest area it works better to take them. Unless you are near the 30 quest cap and then wander into an area like Cultist's Refuge.

The repeatable quests lining up with guild repeatables is also a nice touch. Work on those guild coins while gaining regular quest XP.

Am in alt trouble already. 38 mystic, 20 slayer, and 6 sorcerer. Plus a few name holders.

Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Yeah, this basically. When I used the code it created a second account, I asked customer support to merge them.

The biggest help for me was learning to stay at a 45 degree angle in front of the boss, so I could easily side-step when big attacks would come. Also, training myself to switch directions when the boss would turn rather than only circle-strafing in a single direction. I still don't quite feel like I've completely mastered using attacks as movement, particularly Rising Fury; it doesn't quite always work for me, either not moving me enough or moving me right into my enemy when I thought I had the cursor pointed elsewhere, stopping me cold and getting me hit.

I was only level 22 doing those BAMs as well, so I was missing some of my cooler abilities (I think I haven't visited the trainer since 20 which may make it worse).

The 'Naga' boss curb-stomped me twice with his random flailings that I couldn't quite figure out how to see coming. Everything else I fought went swimmingly well, and I'm quite loving my warrior. :)

Toxic Pickle on
  • Options

The biggest help for me was learning to stay at a 45 degree angle in front of the boss, so I could easily side-step when big attacks would come. Also, training myself to switch directions when the boss would turn rather than only circle-strafing in a single direction. I still don't quite feel like I've completely mastered using attacks as movement, particularly Rising Fury; it doesn't quite always work for me, either not moving me enough or moving me right into my enemy when I thought I had the cursor pointed elsewhere, stopping me cold and getting me hit.

I was only level 22 doing those BAMs as well, so I was missing some of my cooler abilities (I think I haven't visited the trainer since 20 which may make it worse).

The 'Naga' boss curb-stomped me twice with his random flailings that I couldn't quite figure out how to see coming. Everything else I fought went swimmingly well, and I'm quite loving my warrior. :)

Yeah, I made some noticeable strides last night. The big thing for me right now is figuring out mob hitboxes, mostly because you'll get stuck on them when you don't expect to. They seem to be much wider than the physical mob for obvious reasons, which is great for attacking but less great for trying to dance around the mob.

This discussion has been closed.