As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Glossolalia] Resonance Memorial Thread

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    reHex it up, Kro

go with the first idea you come up with

and resist hamming it up

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    But I feel like my ideas are poobrain

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    I tried to like lorenzo

but I wasn't feeling it

he was too much of an asshole

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    All I want to do is drive fast, trash-talk bad guys, and create unnecessary drama amidst the PCs

• Options
    DuxDux A host to DarknessRegistered User regular
    I only hope my writing is entertaining.

• Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    [Speed Acer] [λ Yasteb] A: [Jtlkrek] [] []
    25/25 0/15 0/4 0/0 4/4 0/0 0/0 2/2 0/0 0/0 Auto: On
    [Stunt Pilot] [Smooth-Talker] [Headstrong] [Velocivoodoo]
    I:

Locker: [Racing Suit], [Carbosilicate Arm], [Mach 0]

"Sorry, no punchline. C'mon." Speed looks for an entrance into the ship.

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    [Penelope Ahriman] [Φ Karsif]] A: [ ] [ ] [ ]
    0/50 0/5 0/5 10/10 0/0 11/11 2/2 0/5 0/0 0/0 1/1 2/2 Auto: On
    [Hoverblade Hoodlum][Hardcore][Manipulative] [Thermokinetic]
    i: Spray Paint, Golden Baseball Bat

"Yeah, just stand there, Clyde." Penny's eyes are twin green hate-embers. Shit's like dudges all over again. Her hand closes around Ex-Larry's head and she throws a pile of BTUs in there. "Not like I'm in trouble or anything."

Shock G on
  • Options
    [Derelict]

Brickley pours himself a drink. "I suppose ten years a'seclusion will make your reputation fade a bit.

"That little ghost town on the shore used to be our base of operations. It was secluded and far north, but we wanted somethin' safer. So when Tiny here wandered into town, we had ourselves an idea of makin' a duneship big enough to serve as a base. Sargossa. Took some five years of constant labor to put the thing together, but it turned out t'be worth it. The Nation found it and attacked twenty years ago, and they haven't been able to find it again since." His sunken eyes shift from one of you to the other.

"And I ain't about to let that change. There might be some bad blood betwen me and that bastard but I'm not about to sell out my country to a bunch of southern lowlifes."

• Options
    Rawkking GoodguyRawkking Goodguy Registered User regular
    still leaving me hanging

• Options
    NeoTomaNeoToma Registered User regular
    I wonder how I feel about samedi's accent. Is this something I feel like maintaining. Do you guys think it works or is it just confusing?
    Dubh wrote: »
    I think we just need to make male characters wear less clothes
    I know Samedi's new outfit now
    pimp.jpg
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Is it weird that I don't like Leo

I like his succeeding at things and being able to play as him well but I don't like his personality or the way he does things

Nah it's not weird. You like being a good guy. Michelle from Titan is far closer to the kind of character you like to play. I like Leo but then again Tricksters(Anansi & Loki) and Politicians(i.e. Littlefinger and Carcetti types) are the kind of archetypes I find most interesting. Maybe try shifting him into more of crusader for causes and instead of a manipulator?

• Options
    Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    still leaving me hanging

the subtext to that post is "yeah, buck 'im."

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I find Samedi's accent kind of hard to understand

but maybe that's just me.

Dux on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    I do have plans for where I want to take him. Can't say, spoilers.

• Options
    Shock G wrote: »
    still leaving me hanging

the subtext to that post is "yeah, buck 'im."

Didn't catch it, weird cause I usually do.

I'll figure out how much Clyde being a [Cold Reader] helps him here when I get postin' (despite my better efforts I can't not post).

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    As a word of caution, accents are a terrible thing to do unless a) you're incredibly proficient with it or b) it's a gag. Longterm gags, however, are often not woth the efoort to humor ratio.

What I do now is write out my character's dialogue normally, then read it in the accent, and finish with a few tweaks in word choice and grammar.

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Hmmm, I will consider these things.

• Options
    I like reading accents but I also liked trying to understand Old English in Shakespeare so vOv, it's as much as the challenge to me as to what it adds to the character.

• Options
    NeoToma wrote: »
    Hmmm, I will consider these things.

Like, it all depends on how thick the accent is.

If it's as simple as changing your w's into v's than It's not a big deal, but if it affects the entirety of speech it can get hard to read.

• Options
    [RSNC][Sokudo]
    [Crippling Spider (Sound) 1] [Persuasive] [Acrobat]
    [Harmonic Mind Gi, Smokebombs, Bo Staff, Kazoo]

Sokudo staggers and slams his head into the wall.

"I... CAN... DO IT!"

Everything vibrates. And when it vibrates enough the human ear interprets it as sound. And sound is magic. Because if you organize sounds just right...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvLCnKqYWzA

It can make music.

Sokudo stands up straight, and breathes in deeply. He raises his hands into the air as a conductor would. For a brief instant, the galaxy falls silent.

And then his hands begin to move, and the galactic symphony begins to play. A song of victory. Buildings explode on the alien planet's surface, serving as the drumline. Its volcanos erupt with sulphur and ash, great bassoons of earth and stone.

And all of that sound, that incredible song that only Sokudo can truly hear, is sent crashing down onto the tower.

• Options
    I think I may stick with just replacing h's with apostrophes.

Him becomes 'im
    Hootannay become 'ootenanny
    here becomes 'ere

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    I still have no idea what to do with Dean

p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    I think I may stick with just replacing h's with apostrophes.

Him becomes 'im
    Hootannay become 'ootenanny
    here becomes 'ere

well, it's a simple pattern

which is ideal when doing this sort of thing

Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    Miss me? Find me on:

• Options
    DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    Gatsby wrote: »
    DE?AD wrote: »
    @Gatsby How old is Werne meant to be?

Uhhhh hmmm. I never thought about this myself. He's mostly been dead for a while, and alive for only a short bit before he originally died and during all of this. Let's just say 104 years old.

Hm. That makes him alive in the... early 1900s? That seems a bit early. For whatever reason, I was imagining him being from the Bronze or Iron age. Is that fairly accurate?

I ask because, I realized something I'd been totally forgetting - Werne is from the City.

Unlike the other PCs, however, he has the interesting benefit of being from the City's past. That gives him a really interesting insight.
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Is it weird that I don't like Leo

I like his succeeding at things and being able to play as him well but I don't like his personality or the way he does things

Leo is, objectively speaking, the best character you've written on this thread

I enjoy reading your character posts

keep at this shit

Totally agree with Dubh. Leo is actually really good, and a big improvement - partially because he's the first character that didn't just feel like you.

He doesn't like your style of music. He doesn't have any of your leanings or personal preferences. He's as far from you as I've ever seen you play, and that's fantastic.

I think, if he dies, your next character will be better, too. Getting into a different character's head is always good practice.

Bravo.
    I feel like I'm starting to write myself into a corner again with Irmin. He's just so damn flat and I am floundering around trying to make him pop. At least that's what it feels like on this side.

Yeah, Irmin is really flat.

It's a shame, because he's named after probably one of my favorite characters from early RADlands.

I honestly feel like he's being held back by his powers. You've written me plenty of PMs about them, but not one about his personality. Now, granted, you don't really need to run personalities by me, but it makes me think that maybe you're focusing a bit too much on that - which I'd understand, because I have a tendency to do that as a player.

My advice is this - when Irmin dies, create a character who has none of your standard powers. Specifically the fleshshifting thing. Jayce was far better before he became a skinshifter.

Create a character, and then, once you've entirely defined him or her, if you still want to, then give them fleshshifting.
    Dux wrote: »
    I only hope my writing is entertaining.

It has been. I really like Kain where he's at now. The amount of progress you've made from The Hanged Man is fantastic. You've really, really improved as a writer.
    I wonder how I feel about samedi's accent. Is this something I feel like maintaining. Do you guys think it works or is it just confusing?

It came on a bit suddenly - enough that I thought he was doing it to make fun of Kain, but it's... decipherable? I'm reading it as a Jamaican accent, which I assume is what you're going for?

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    [Christina Lightning] [λ Yasteb] A: [Jtlkrek] [] []
    28/28 8/10 5/5 10/10 0/0 0/0 5/5 0/0 0/0 0/0 Auto: On
    [Action Scientist][Sexy][Resourceful] [Marksmanship]
    i: Combat-ready Lab Coat, Toolkit, Pistol, Tablet PC, Irradiated Hunting Rifle, Jet Pack, Hot Pants

Christina glances at her tablet and quickly taps a response.

dont wory itll b fine. hes not so bad 1ce u get 2 know him

"Hey, Teless, long time no see," she says. "Put some clothes on, dude. My friend and I have business to discuss with you."

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    you guys ever think of a really good bit of writing

and then when you go to write it down you've already forgotten it?

that's happening to me right now

• Options

It came on a bit suddenly - enough that I thought he was doing it to make fun of Kain, but it's... decipherable? I'm reading it as a Jamaican accent, which I assume is what you're going for?

Yea Jamaican. Mainly I'm trying to drive home he's from a pocket of Mesmiri that would represent creole, or the french district. Because you know Baron Samedi. But that's probably unnecessary.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    [Leo] [L Yasteb] A: [] [] []
    2/27 1/6 5/5 6/11 1/1 0/0 0/0 2/2 3/3 11/11 2/2 Auto: On
    [Politician] [Persuasive] [Very Dangerous] [Flamboyant]
    I: Umbrella sword, blazer, striped scarf, slacks, dress shoes, HEXcom

Leo cringes. Surely the misspelling is an intentional affectation. Just painful.

He tries to wipe his discomfort off of his face, and lets Christina talk to her friend without further interference beyond what is needed.

No good at keeping track of points

Antimatter on
  • Options

Yea Jamaican. Mainly I'm trying to drive home he's from a pocket of Mesmiri that would represent creole, or the french district. Because you know Baron Samedi. But that's probably unnecessary.

That's cool, and, yeah, he would totally be from Mesmiri - which has the general rule of everyone has an accent (though weird speaking patterns are also acceptable).

It's not indecipherable, but it does make it sound waaay thicker.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    [Warwick] [Φ Karsif] A: [] [] []
    15/25 10/15 20/25 3/3 5/5 0/0 10/10 5/15 0/0 0/0 3/3 Auto: On
    [Huntsmancer] [Amiable] [Cocky] [Telepathic]
    I: Camo Wizard Robe and Hat, Crossbow, Pistol Grip Wand
    [Stygia]

Warwick needs a drink badly after reading those articles. So, he takes the strongest drink from his minibar and pours it into a glass. Then he takes as many bottles as he can grab and pours them in. Finally, he adds some tonic because he's pretty sure there's gin in there somewhere. Ignoring the burning sensation, he stirs it all up with his index finger.

"Gonna call this the *gulp* frughh damgrrrrr fuuuggggenn *koff* *koff* bruhh *koff* fukken *koff*."

Shabooty on
  • Options
    alternatingAberrationalternatingAberration I am the milk man My milk is deliciousRegistered User regular
    Major Tom

I'm liking this version

Yessss, this is a regular on my Night Call Pandora station.

@DE?AD Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. It's the whole player mentality that's snagging me. I'm trying not to have any ideas right now about it, gotta get through this warehouse before I abandon Cecil on the cold docks.

xI8QS1g.jpg?1
  • Options
    I am having a lot of fun writing Christina.

I hope you all are enjoying her, too.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Christina is great

If potentially someone I might conflict with depending on her moral code

• Options
  • Options
    I hate that emoticon.

• Options
    @stilts we kind of missed each other on MvC (did you ever end up getting that I never saw)

but when the day comes

I want to beat you up as parappa the rapper

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aVxcHTD1fY

this is an incredibly shameless ripoff of Super Smash Brothers and I am not entirely sure I care

• Options
    @stilts we kind of missed each other on MvC (did you ever end up getting that I never saw)

but when the day comes

this is an incredibly shameless ripoff of Super Smash Brothers and I am not entirely sure I care

Yeah, I got MvC3.

I have the day off tomorrow, so maybe we can try fighting each other then?

Also, I will be more than happy to wipe the floor with you with Sly Cooper.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    unfortunately my playstation's packed up, we're moving

• Options
    Stilts wrote: »

but when the day comes

Yeah, I got MvC3.

I have the day off tomorrow, so maybe we can try fighting each other then?

Also, I will be more than happy to wipe the floor with you with Sly Cooper.

Oh god. It looks like Fat Princess even has Princess Peach's moveset.

Goddamn.

• Options
    yeah it really does

personally i'm a bit insulted that, judging from that short video, her playstyle doesn't revolve around getting fatter and thinner

This discussion has been closed.