Options

Video Game Industry Thread: 300+ people lose their jobs. Curt Schilling still rich.

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    As for Diablo 3; old game finally gets another sequel. I know its huge with a certain crowd, but people need to settle down.

http://www.techspot.com/news/33262-npd-reveals-best-selling-pc-games-of-2008.html
    The Diablo collection was one of the top 20 best selling PC games of 2008 according to NPD. Diablo 2 & its expansion pack came out in 2000 & 2001.

People talk about the Nintendo franchises having legs, but the Diablo series was a best seller SEVEN YEARS AFTER THE MOST RECENT INSTALLMENT CAME OUT.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I dunno, I think R*'s secret recipe is "how close is this game to Grand Theft Auto".

People love Grand Theft Auto.

People love Red Dead Redemtion because it's Grand Theft Auto: Old West.

People initially loved L.A Noire because it looked like Grand Theft Auto: 1940's detective. At least until people started playing it and realized it wasn't, it was just in a GTA suit and the actual nougat underneath wasn't that good.

So I guess the question to ask is if Max Payne 3 is GTA: ...Whatever style Max Payne is supposed to be. If anything, I think they'll lose that day 1 insta-buy crowd who got burned on L.A Noire. Which means how it does will mainly relate to how good the game actually is.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 only appears to have niche appeal when compared directly to Starcraft 2.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Or to put it another way, imagine if Nintendo was going to release the first new Zelda game since Majora's Mask came out in 2000. Anticipation would be immense. Smart money says you don't release your own game on the same day because you're going to get buried even if you do have a relatively high profile game.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Diablo 3 only appears to have niche appeal when compared directly to Starcraft 2.

Well, calling it niche is the wrong word. Starcraft 2 is colossal because of its multiplayer components and the intricate details behind its balancing. Competitive multiplayer is fun to watch too.

• Options

Nah, as far as I can tell the Diablo franchise has sold at least as much as the Starcraft franchise if not more. We don't have any up-to-date sales figures for either series, but Starcraft 1 sold about 9.5 million copies in the first 10 years. Starcraft 2 sold about 4.5 million in the first 8 months.

In contrast, the Diablo series sold has sold 18.5 million copies as of 2008.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    They're really trying to make Max Payne 3 appear high profile - it was easily one of the biggest booths at PAX East.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/take-two-adjusts-financials-south-blames-max-paynes-poor-showing-6087292
    "Despite a positive reception, Max Payne 2 sold poorly, leading Rockstar Games' parent company Take-Two Interactive to cite the "continued disappointing sales of Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne" as one of the causes for the company's reforecasted sales for 2004."

Yeah, I don't foresee Max Payne 3 doing all that well.

Pachter thinks Max and Diablo will turn the tide on poor sales this year.

What do you have to say about that? Hmmm?

Edit to Clarify: I think Pachter is still hurting from doubting RDR and believes anything with R* on it will sell huge. As for Diablo 3; old game finally gets another sequel. I know its huge with a certain crowd, but people need to settle down.

Certain crowd?

I'm pretty sure lifetime sales of D2 have been upwards of 10M+ which puts it above virtually any other game out there. It (via the battle chest in recent years) regularly has placed in top 10-20 sales charts even as of a year or two ago; a game that is over 10 years old. Diablo isn't huge with a "certain crowd" it is straight up huge.

Yeah, the sales of the two games probably don't overlap enough to really hurt one or the other. I mean you could safely release a Final Fantasy and a Call of Duty on the same day and not really hurt each other.

But it's incredibly disingenuous to say that Diablo only appeals to a "certain crowd" as if it's a niche game.

I'm 34 and I don't really know what Diablo is outside of the rumblings I read on various forums. I don't think I've even seen video or screenshot of the game before in my life.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    They're really trying to make Max Payne 3 appear high profile - it was easily one of the biggest booths at PAX East.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/take-two-adjusts-financials-south-blames-max-paynes-poor-showing-6087292
    "Despite a positive reception, Max Payne 2 sold poorly, leading Rockstar Games' parent company Take-Two Interactive to cite the "continued disappointing sales of Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne" as one of the causes for the company's reforecasted sales for 2004."

Edit to Clarify: I think Pachter is still hurting from doubting RDR and believes anything with R* on it will sell huge. As for Diablo 3; old game finally gets another sequel. I know its huge with a certain crowd, but people need to settle down.

Certain crowd?

I'm pretty sure lifetime sales of D2 have been upwards of 10M+ which puts it above virtually any other game out there. It (via the battle chest in recent years) regularly has placed in top 10-20 sales charts even as of a year or two ago; a game that is over 10 years old. Diablo isn't huge with a "certain crowd" it is straight up huge.

Yeah, the sales of the two games probably don't overlap enough to really hurt one or the other. I mean you could safely release a Final Fantasy and a Call of Duty on the same day and not really hurt each other.

But it's incredibly disingenuous to say that Diablo only appeals to a "certain crowd" as if it's a niche game.

Certain Crowd meaning PC gamers. MP3 will be Console players. I just don't see either turning the year sales around.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Allforce wrote: »

Certain crowd?

I'm 34 and I don't really know what Diablo is outside of the rumblings I read on various forums. I don't think I've even seen video or screenshot of the game before in my life.

....how?

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Certain Crowd meaning PC gamers. MP3 will be Console players. I just don't see either turning the year sales around.

Hopefully I'm wrong.

One of the best selling games of all time is getting its first sequel in over 10 years. Not only that, but it's from a company that has several of the best selling franchises of all time (Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Starcraft). Expecting Diablo 3 to not sell an immense amount of copies is delusional.

Plus, the Diablo series is largely unchallenged by other games. In the past few years, the only serious competitors to Diablo have been Torchlight and Titan Quest and neither of those have been anywhere near as successful as Diablo.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    I wonder how many million copies of D1 have gone unplayed...

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I know it's anecdotal, but both extended family and my girlfriend's doctor have asked me how to preorder Diablo 3 online.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Now I kinda want D3 to bomb, but only because the slew of blogs and articles wondering what the holy hell happened would be a touch more interesting to read than the ones saying it predictably sold gangbusters.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    I have no idea how it'll get tracked, but Diablo III will have over a million "sales" (they sent at least 1050000 beta invites out) the second it is officially released just by people who paid for a year of World of Warcraft.

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular

Hopefully I'm wrong.

One of the best selling games of all time is getting its first sequel in over 10 years. Not only that, but it's from a company that has several of the best selling franchises of all time (Call of Duty, World of Warcraft, Starcraft). Expecting Diablo 3 to not sell an immense amount of copies is delusional.

Plus, the Diablo series is largely unchallenged by other games. In the past few years, the only serious competitors to Diablo have been Torchlight and Titan Quest and neither of those have been anywhere near as successful as Diablo.

Blizzard didn't make Call of Duty, that doesn't really count :P

But yeah, expecting Diablo 3 to not sell amazingly is just delusional at this point.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    I'm trying to explain the XBox plan MS is rolling out to a friend, and it's going over his head. It seems straight forward. It's like a cell phone plan, as someone here said.

... Which, people don't understand cell phone plans anyway, so fuck.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Let's just put it this way. It's called activision blizzard, not activision Viventi for a reason

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Spoit wrote: »
    Let's just put it this way. It's called activision blizzard, not activision Viventi for a reason

Surely Tony Hawk: Ride is going to be a fantastic game. It's from the same company that made Call of Duty, World of WarCraft, and Skylanders! :P

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    This MS package/bundle is only a good deal if it includes Hulu/NetFlix/HBO Go/some kind of network television.

• Options
    Sheep wrote: »
    This MS package/bundle is only a good deal if it includes Hulu/NetFlix/HBO Go/some kind of network television.

Isn't that shit a part of a Gold subscription?

• Options
    No, you have to pay for all of those services separately in addition to a Gold subscription.

• Options
    G RolG Rol Dorsia? Nobody goes there anymore... Nell'sRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Henroid wrote: »

Isn't that shit a part of a Gold subscription?

Those services are available with a Gold account, but you still have to pay the monthly fees to Netflix/Hulu/have HBO as part of you cable package in order to utilize them on the 360.

G Rol on

G%20Rol.jpg
  • Options

Hopefully I'm wrong.

Oh, and Blizzard is porting Diablo 3 to consoles (at some point) :D

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Certain crowd?

I don't even know what to say to that. My initial reaction would be to straight up call you a liar but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's just hard to swallow. Diablo is as ubiquitous to PC gaming as Mario is to console gaming. You effectively just said "I am 34 and have never seen, nor played, a Mario game in my life".

I mean, if you're not a gamer, or haven't been a gamer for a long time...maybe but otherwise? There's just no way. For the record I'm 31 and I upgraded my moms PC to 16mb of ram so I could play Diablo multiplayer. EDIT: I've been playing games since I can remember remembering, really.

If my wife told me she's never heard of Diablo, I'd believe her (well, prior to meeting me anyway); because she isn't a gamer and didn't grow up with games like I did. But someone posting on an internet forum for a webcomic about games...yeah, hard to accept.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    no, you have to pay for those services in addition to the $40 a year
    gold simply let's you have access to them

if you ask me, they need a 'platinum' subscription that includes hulu/netflix, and also has free games ala PSN plus

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular

Yeah, immediately after reading it, the first thought that came to mind was that the success or failure of this sku will depend entirely on what they manage to package with it in terms of streaming video.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012

Certain crowd?

I don't even know what to say to that. My initial reaction would be to straight up call you a liar but I want to give you the benefit of the doubt.

It's just hard to swallow. Diablo is as ubiquitous to PC gaming as Mario is to console gaming. You effectively just said "I am 34 and have never seen, nor played, a Mario game in my life".

I mean, if you're not a gamer, or haven't been a gamer for a long time...maybe but otherwise? There's just no way. For the record I'm 31 and I upgraded my moms PC to 16mb of ram so I could play Diablo multiplayer.

My only experience with Diablo was playing the original on Playstation. Just never been a PC gamer.

Edit: Oh and I'm 30.

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    For the record I'm 31 and I upgraded my moms PC to 16mb of ram so I could play Diablo multiplayer.

Ha, I remember having trouble because my dad insisted on running Windows NT which had terrible DirectX support vs. Windows 95. I think Diablo 1 *just barely* supported the latest DX I could actually upgrade to.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular

Certain crowd?

I mean, if you're not a gamer, or haven't been a gamer for a long time...maybe but otherwise? There's just no way. For the record I'm 31 and I upgraded my moms PC to 16mb of ram so I could play Diablo multiplayer. EDIT: I've been playing games since I can remember remembering, really.

If my wife told me she's never heard of Diablo, I'd believe her (well, prior to meeting me anyway); because she isn't a gamer and didn't grow up with games like I did. But someone posting on an internet forum for a webcomic about games...yeah, hard to accept.

I didn't say I've never heard OF it, just that I've never seen it played or know anyone who's played it. I have no idea what it's about except when I've read someone say "its like Diablo so you click on stuff a lot" when describing another game.

I've just never been big into PC games I guess, I'm sure it's a huge franchise but there's people out there that don't know what the New York Yankees are too. For the record the first and only time I've seen World of Warcraft in action was that LEEEROY JENKINS video :D

• Options
    baudattitudebaudattitude Registered User regular
    I don't think it's that weird. When the original Diablo came out, I was only playing games on consoles, mostly Saturn, and when Diablo II came out I was in the throes of Everquest addiction and not buying anything else.

My wife eventually bought the Diablo Battle Chest and I played about 20 minutes of D1 before wondering what all the fuss was about and uninstalling it.

It IS going to be huge and sell millions, of course, but I think the previous comparison to Zelda was spot on - if you release a new Zelda game, it's going to sell millions, but there will be millions more people for whom it will just be another Tuesday.

• Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    So, EA is asking everyone what they think of Origin.
    You can read the comments from here. It's exactly like what you think it is.

http://www.ea.com/news/the-origin-conversation

• Options
    So, EA is asking everyone what they think of Origin.
    You can read the comments from here. It's exactly like what you think it is.

http://www.ea.com/news/the-origin-conversation

I'm scared to click this link, because what I think it is is... uh, yeah.

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I actually had to scroll down some before I ran into the first thing that was similar to what I imagined:
    (1) I like the uninstaller. (2) Please add a feature to purchase and play EA games through Steam.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular

Nah, not really. Mario has been in over 200 games and has had tons of merchandising and "real world" exposure, including multiple cartoon shows and a live action movie. He's been the driving force and showcase for a ton of game systems. Diablo has had two games and two expansions and just about no merch at all to my knowledge. Maybe like a novel or something? It wasn't even shareware or (to my knowledge) included with store-bought PCs like some other, more ubiquitous games were in those days.

You could say Myst was ubiquitous, maybe. Wolfenstein 3D, probably. Not Diablo. Heck, it's a dark, mature RPG, that alone limits its audience. A lot of people who were of the right age to play it back then might've been prevented by their parents due to the name and box.

We could probably have a whole thread of people talking about seemingly high profile things they've never experienced, and generally I don't think I'd be surprised. I've probably seen 5 minutes of StarCraft gameplay in my life, in 30 second chunks on youtube videos. I just don't care, and don't want to care.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Doom is the Mario of PC gaming.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »
    Doom is the Mario of PC gaming.

Doom isn't even close to being the Mario of PC gaming :P

• Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular

Nah, not really. Mario has been in over 200 games and has had tons of merchandising and "real world" exposure, including multiple cartoon shows and a live action movie. He's been the driving force and showcase for a ton of game systems. Diablo has had two games and two expansions and just about no merch at all to my knowledge. Maybe like a novel or something? It wasn't even shareware or (to my knowledge) included with store-bought PCs like some other, more ubiquitous games were in those days.

You could say Myst was ubiquitous, maybe. Wolfenstein 3D, probably. Not Diablo. Heck, it's a dark, mature RPG, that alone limits its audience. A lot of people who were of the right age to play it back then might've been prevented by their parents due to the name and box.

We could probably have a whole thread of people talking about seemingly high profile things they've never experienced, and generally I don't think I'd be surprised. I've probably seen 5 minutes of StarCraft gameplay in my life, in 30 second chunks on youtube videos. I just don't care, and don't want to care.

Yeah, I don't agree.

Neither Myst or Wolfenstien (nor Doom) are ubiquitous because they had their heyday and, for the most part, have passed. People know what they are, and they're all regularly held up as classics, but it wouldn't be unusual for a younger PC gamer to never have played any. The Diablo games have been constantly played since release, in a pretty large way; none of which you can say is true for any of the other games mentioned.

Sure, comparing it to Mario was a stretch, and you're right, it's not as pervasive in the culture as Mario is; but I think it's up there though, moreso than virtually any other PC game (including those you mentioned).

Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Saying Diablo is the Mario of PC is a bit of a misnomer. It's more like the Resident Evil of the PC except there are fewer installments and they sell better on a case by case basis (although the Resident Evil franchise on a whole has sold more that's because there are a million games in it).

The Sims is the Mario of the PC if we're talking sales figures.

RainbowDespair on
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Clearly game analogies don't work. If doom was the model T...

steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.