As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Que veux-tu, [chat]? Happy May Day!

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    I always confused John Ashbery and John Berryman. Two sad white people, am I right?

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    theyre utterly unrelated though

naltrexone just inhibits highs, putatively apomorphine corrects dopaminergic dysfunction (though fuck knows how)

That's pretty interesting.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    That's twice the word dopaminergic has been brought up in chat. God damn opiates getting in the way of my enjoyment

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Eddy wrote: »
    I always confused John Ashbery and John Berryman. Two sad white people, am I right?

I haven't read much Berryman. I know his big book is Dream Songs.

I don't think of Ashbery as being sad. I guess there is a melancholy undertone to his work, but it's not like, overtly sad.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    spool32 wrote: »
    Frank O'Hara is great, but he wasn't a Beat at all. Obviously influenced by them, but he basically constructed the entire first wave new york school from that semi-ironic personism manifesto

Yep. Just for chat, I'll post one of his lesser known poems, about his friend John Ashbery, whom he had nicknamed Ashes.

Ashes on Saturday Afternoon

The banal machines are exposing themselves
    on nearby hillocks of arrested color: why
    if we are the anthropologists canopé
    should this upset the autumn afternoon?

It is because you are silent. Speak, if
    speech is not embarrassed by your attention
    to the scenery! in languages more livid than
    vomit on Sunday after wafer and prayer.

What is the poet for, if not to scream
    himself into a hernia of admiration for all
    paradoxical integuments: the kiss, the
    bomb, cathedrals and the zeppelin anchored

to the hill of dreams? Oh be not silent
    on this distressing holiday whose week
    has been a chute of sand down which no
    factories or castles tumbled: only my

petulant two-fisted heart. You, dear poet,
    who addressed yourself to flowers, Electra,
    and photographs on less painful occasions,
    must save me from the void's eternal noise.

The last line is like the last blow of a hammer on the nail he's pounding. So satisfying.

I know! This is one of my favorite O'Hara poems. He's clearly writing it in imitation of Ashbery, in my opinion. Too bad like no one ever talks about it. It was written around 1952, I think.

O'Hara's collected works are a mess. They don't go in any particular order, which means lots of awful shit is next to lots of brilliant shit.

O'Hara himself kept terrible records if memory serves... he'd write on cocktail napkins and then throw the poems in drawers in his house, unorganized and often undated.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    im actually in cahoots with david nutt at imperial london and were trying to get apomorphine patches tested for nicotine addiction, then cross-license it for alcoholism lol

but good luck getting any drug company to touch it otherwise, its parkinsons or nothing and even then a lot of the variants are orphan drugs

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    HEY EDDY

YOUR BRAIN IS A NEUROTRANSMITTERFACE

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    hmm
    scientists up ins. Someone tell me what this drug in the news does? Conexisomething, a pain med that Pfizer settled with BYU over, some patent thing?

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Frank O'Hara is great, but he wasn't a Beat at all. Obviously influenced by them, but he basically constructed the entire first wave new york school from that semi-ironic personism manifesto

Yep. Just for chat, I'll post one of his lesser known poems, about his friend John Ashbery, whom he had nicknamed Ashes.

Ashes on Saturday Afternoon

The banal machines are exposing themselves
    on nearby hillocks of arrested color: why
    if we are the anthropologists canopé
    should this upset the autumn afternoon?

It is because you are silent. Speak, if
    speech is not embarrassed by your attention
    to the scenery! in languages more livid than
    vomit on Sunday after wafer and prayer.

What is the poet for, if not to scream
    himself into a hernia of admiration for all
    paradoxical integuments: the kiss, the
    bomb, cathedrals and the zeppelin anchored

to the hill of dreams? Oh be not silent
    on this distressing holiday whose week
    has been a chute of sand down which no
    factories or castles tumbled: only my

petulant two-fisted heart. You, dear poet,
    who addressed yourself to flowers, Electra,
    and photographs on less painful occasions,
    must save me from the void's eternal noise.

The last line is like the last blow of a hammer on the nail he's pounding. So satisfying.

I know! This is one of my favorite O'Hara poems. He's clearly writing it in imitation of Ashbery, in my opinion. Too bad like no one ever talks about it. It was written around 1952, I think.

O'Hara's collected works are a mess. They don't go in any particular order, which means lots of awful shit is next to lots of brilliant shit.

O'Hara himself kept terrible records if memory serves... he'd write on cocktail napkins and then throw the poems in drawers in his house, unorganized and often undated.

This is true. He did date a lot of his work though. I just don't know why it couldn't be organized like, "The Harvard Years", "Working at MoMa", and then into his three books: Meditations in An Emergency, Lunch Poems, Love Poems, etc.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    That's twice the word dopaminergic has been brought up in chat. God damn opiates getting in the way of my enjoyment

:lol:

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    f4fdc9a32be9b4c07498e833d0c84611fa9cb24b_m.png

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    this is my favorite poem
    Traveling through the dark I found a deer
    dead on the edge of the Wilson River road.
    It is usually best to roll them into the canyon:
    that road is narrow; to swerve might make more dead.

By glow of the tail-light I stumbled back of the car
    and stood by the heap, a doe, a recent killing;
    she had stiffened already, almost cold.
    I dragged her off; she was large in the belly.

My fingers touching her side brought me the reason--
    her side was warm; her fawn lay there waiting,
    alive, still, never to be born.
    Beside that mountain road I hesitated.

The car aimed ahead its lowered parking lights;
    under the hood purred the steady engine.
    I stood in the glare of the warm exhaust turning red;
    around our group I could hear the wilderness listen.

I thought hard for us all--my only swerving--,
    then pushed her over the edge into the river.

William Stafford

for some reason the red exhaust line has always really resonated with me

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    im actually in cahoots with david nutt at imperial london and were trying to get apomorphine patches tested for nicotine addiction, then cross-license it for alcoholism lol

but good luck getting any drug company to touch it otherwise, its parkinsons or nothing and even then a lot of the variants are orphan drugs

Wait I need to hear more about this.

Like a lot more.

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I really need a coffee shop buddy. Someone you can sit with who will watch your stuff while you use the restroom or get another cup, and who you can have quick two-minute conversations with when you find something you want to share with someone.

And maybe a little footsie. :winky:

• Options
    hmm
    scientists up ins. Someone tell me what this drug in the news does? Conexisomething, a pain med that Pfizer settled with BYU over, some patent thing?

Celebrex. It's a COX-2 inhibitor - a special class of NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) used primarily in arthritis patients.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    processors are complicated, yo

• Options
    Feral wrote: »
    hmm

Celebrex. It's a COX-2 inhibitor - a special class of NSAID (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory) used primarily in arthritis patients.

ahhhh

pointless for FM. :/

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Fucking David Barton.

• Options
    hmm

ahhhh

Eh, does she respond to aspirin or ibuprofen?

If so, she'd probably respond to Celebrex.

They have comparable mechanisms of action.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    This day gets better and better. My CCNA funding just got blown out of the water it looks like. God forbid they approve anything "career enhancing"

you won't even make me a status employee

I've given 7 years of my fucking life to federal service, you won't give me status, you're going to let me go within a year, and I can't compete for other federal jobs I am more than qualified for because YOU WON'T GIVE ME STATUS, and God FUCKING forbid you throw a few sheckles my way for some training because you think it might make me too valuable and I'll quit.

Fuck.

• Options
    hmm

ahhhh

Eh, does she respond to aspirin or ibuprofen?

If so, she'd probably respond to Celebrex.

They have comparable mechanisms of action.

NSAIDS apparently do nothing for FM pain - it's not an inflammation.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Elldren wrote: »
    tier lists are a blight

It wasn't even a tier list, it was just a list.

• Options
    i was under the impression that literally nothing worked for most severe cases of fibromyalgia

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012

Right. Responding to SNRIs implies some etiology irrelevant to COX receptors. (IIRC, your wife takes an SNRI? Effexor or Cymbalta? Or maybe I'm thinking of somebody else.)

I'm still of the belief that fibromyalgia is an umbrella diagnosis and it may actually be caused by a different underlying unidentified disorder in different people.

Feral on

• Options
    edited May 2012
    also there are several hypothetical treatments for fm that are anti-inflammatory in various ways, its not an out-there hypothesis at all
    I'm still of the belief that fibromyalgia is an umbrella diagnosis and it may actually be caused by a different underlying unidentified disorder in different people.

to be fair this is a pretty safe bet for most "symptom syndromes" like fm :P

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    i was under the impression that literally nothing worked for most severe cases of fibromyalgia

Tramadol works OK, but often causes intense nightmares if you take it near bedtime, sooo... you get to have interrupted sleep from wtfhorror in your brain, or you get to have interrupted sleep from tossing and turning because everything hurts.

Hydrocodone helps OK but is habit forming.

That's pretty much it for things you can be prescribed, though cymbalta amazingly does cut the pain by a lot.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular

Right. Responding to SNRIs implies some etiology irrelevant to COX receptors. (IIRC, your wife takes an SNRI? Effexor or Cymbalta? Or maybe I'm thinking of somebody else.)

Yeah, my mom has that diagnosis and she was (and may still be?) taking Celebrex.

• Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Happy new comic book day [chat]

batman6.jpg

Batman jumped into one of those owl transformation portals from the Seinfeld comic!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    also there are several hypothetical treatments for fm that are anti-inflammatory in various ways, its not an out-there hypothesis at all

to be fair this is a pretty safe bet for most "symptom syndromes" like fm :P

that's the cough syrup treatment?

It's bunk. However, getting solid rest DOES help, so things that knock you the fuck out, like cough medicine or benadryl, do leave you feeling better in the morning.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    medicine [chat] makes my head hurt

919UOwT.png
  • Options

I know a whole lot about a friend's vagina thanks to all our discussions about that.

• Options

Treating it as though it's neuropathic using the drugs approved for diabetic neuropathic pain (like gabapentin or venlafaxine) seems to help a lot of patients, though not all.

• Options

Could be, could be. The brain fog bit is the thing that confuses me most, tbh.

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    2 lunches and cookies make my stomach hurt

poo
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    cough syrup no - but actually, when i was looking into naltrexone (naltrexone everywhere today) some time ago it was a possible treatment due to how it interacts with microglia in some fm sufferers

but all quite out there

pilot study here

http://snapl.stanford.edu/research/ldn.html

i never followed it up

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote: »
    This day gets better and better. My CCNA funding just got blown out of the water it looks like. God forbid they approve anything "career enhancing"

you won't even make me a status employee

I've given 7 years of my fucking life to federal service, you won't give me status, you're going to let me go within a year, and I can't compete for other federal jobs I am more than qualified for because YOU WON'T GIVE ME STATUS, and God FUCKING forbid you throw a few sheckles my way for some training because you think it might make me too valuable and I'll quit.

Fuck.
    Can you appeal that decision?

• Options
    20120502.png

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    Oooh

What you were saying about Apomorphine confused me at first because I didn't realize it's not an opioid.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Tramadol works OK, but often causes intense nightmares if you take it near bedtime, sooo... you get to have interrupted sleep from wtfhorror in your brain, or you get to have interrupted sleep from tossing and turning because everything hurts.

Hydrocodone helps OK but is habit forming.

That's pretty much it for things you can be prescribed, though cymbalta amazingly does cut the pain by a lot.

To play internet pharmacist, has she ever tried/talked to her doctor about gabapentin/neurontin? It some cases it seems to work incredibly well.

Ha! Barely beaten by Feral.

DoctorArch on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    Internet pharmacists are best pharmacists

but the pay sucks

This discussion has been closed.