Options

My phone is smarter than I am and I am perfectly ok with it.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    What are the chances of me being able to get a handset that has Android installed, wiping it, and installing WP7.5? Where the hell would I even get WP7.5 from legally?

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    My mom wants to get a smartphone.

We go through Tmobile and I have no idea which of their android offerings would work best for her.

I'm leaning toward the Galaxy S Blaze since she doesn't want a super expensive one.

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    What are the chances of me being able to get a handset that has Android installed, wiping it, and installing WP7.5? Where the hell would I even get WP7.5 from legally?

none

• Options
    ButtlordButtlord Fornicus Lord of Bondage and PainRegistered User regular
    DrZiplock wrote: »
    So, I actually have some money again and am in serious need of a new phone.

Guessing that if I want to go android on Verizon the Gnex is still my best bet, yea? Anything new coming out in a week or two?

galaxy nexus is pretty great, the razr/razr maxx are supposed to be pretty good too

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular

Why not just buy a Windows Phone device?

WP only runs on a very specific set of hardware, so you're not going to get it running on anything better than what they already sell it on anyway.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Poo. I really like the HTC One X, but that's Android.

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    my mom got a new iPad for her birthday

it's really weird because I was on the phone with her getting ready to explain every step of everything she wanted to do with it, but for pretty much everything it was "So how do I... oh, there it is! I found it. That was easy. Now what if I... oh, I did it!"

not having to do Offspring Tech Support is a weird feeling.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    There will probably be some WP8 phones out at the end of the year with better hardware. At least I hope so :P

• Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My mom also picked up a new ipad and has been able to figure out how to do almost everything on her own. Only thing I had to teach her was about the multitasking (either double tap or 4 finger swipe)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    also you can do the five-finger pinch to close an app (probably easier to just tap the home button but the pinch-to-close animation is so neat)

• Options
    yeah the 5 finger pinch is neat. Sometimes i'll just do it half way then bring it back for fun, it really does make for a smooth ui experience.

Steam ID
  • Options
    Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    wait what does four finger swipe do

• Options
    4 finger swipe up brings up the multitasking bar same as double tapping the home button. 4 finger swipe down closes it

4 finger swipe right/left goes instantly between apps (in the order they're in on your multitasking bar)

Steam ID
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    My mom wants to get a smartphone.

We go through Tmobile and I have no idea which of their android offerings would work best for her.

I'm leaning toward the Galaxy S Blaze since she doesn't want a super expensive one.

Good choice. That or the HTC Amaze are nice and capable with a good amount of power without getting too expensive and they won't feel horribly outdated in a year like some of your other options.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I got Shredder Chess, now my phone regularly whoops my ass at Chess.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Amaze is better than everything in HTC's lineup save the One X

hope this helps

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    So I got a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0

Its pretty neat but man I miss swype

Trying out thumb keyboard since I got it free to replace the crappy ice keyboard but god I really miss swype :'(

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    So I think I'm gonna buy an iPad this summer since my netbook is done for.

Anyone looking to sell an old iPad 2?

2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    iPad is my next big-purchase I think

I sold my 2 to my dad and just never ended up getting a new one because money got tight

but soon

soon

trying to decide if I want 32 GB wifi or 16 GB with LTE....

• Options
    zucchinizucchini robothero pretty much amazingRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    newsstand is a piece of shit

get off my phone

zucchini on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    T4CT wrote: »
    iPad is my next big-purchase I think

I sold my 2 to my dad and just never ended up getting a new one because money got tight

but soon

soon

trying to decide if I want 32 GB wifi or 16 GB with LTE....

I would say the 32 for space.

But saying that.

My friends recently got broken into and they stole a bunch of stuff including their iPad.

Wouldn't have caught the guys if it wasn't for 3G and find my phone.

• Options
    Anyone here know how AT&T fairs in Toronto? My coverage map says it's solid but I'd like some nonbiased input. I've heard Verizon gets iffy service with whatever partner they have up there.

• Options
    TankHammer wrote: »
    Anyone here know how AT&T fairs in Toronto? My coverage map says it's solid but I'd like some nonbiased input. I've heard Verizon gets iffy service with whatever partner they have up there.

You have Bell as your partner so you're in the clear.

I don't know who Verizon partners with but unless it's Rogers I don't see why it'd be spotty. I've never really heard any complaints

• Options
    StaleStale Registered User regular
    Skyrocket, still best phone ever made

easysig2.jpg
  • Options
    skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    Stale wrote: »
    most androids can use the foxfi app to tether

you just have to careful you don't exceed the limits on your plan

This helped a bunch, thanks!

• Options
    speaking of phone networks

this is probably only useful to Canadian peeps but I was writing a post on Tested helping some guy with his phone upgrade and talked a little bit about networks; why WIND isn't a very good option at all, and why Rogers customers tend to have spottier service a lot of the time. Even if you aren't Canadian, the second paragraph is at least interesting (to me) because a lot of people just don't know how their carrier performs tower switches.
    The reason that WIND's subscription base hasn't picked up dramatically since they pushed into Canada is simply that, while their plans are interesting, they don't have the infrastructure in Canada to support their customers. WIND is owned by an Egyptian company called Orascom; while that seems like it might not be important, it's key to the reason why their network is unreliable even when moving within the same city. The other two mini-carriers (Solo Mobile and Chatr) both benefit from the fact that they are owned by Bell and Rogers respectively and thus can use the infrastructure of those two companies. WIND doesn't have that luxury; that's the reason that even within a city that "says" it has WIND coverage, you'll find certain areas of the city just have absolutely no signal. This is in Calgary, the second place that WIND launched; BC was the last, so they're the furthest behind infrastructure-wise.

The second thing to keep in mind between the big three (Rogers, Telus, and Bell) is that there's an unknown factor in how reliable a Cell network is that carriers don't advertise, and it's the method they use to switch between towers. When Rogers switches you from one tower to the next for coverage, they drop the tower you're currently on as soon as you're in range of another tower. It switches you to the new tower quicker, but the issue is that if you're on the fringe of that tower and not moving into it's primary range quick enough, you get service that drops in and out even though your phone displays bars. This is the primary reason Rogers customers encounter text messages that just get "lost" on their way from one phone to another, and to a lesser extent dropped calls. Telus and Bell both switch towers in a way similar to a monkey swinging on vines. When you enter range of a new tower, you won't actually disconnect from the first tower until you have a firm grip on the second tower; the next "vine", so to speak. Once you've got a good signal from the second tower, it'll disconnect the first tower, which leads to less of those pesky dropped text messages.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    I'll still stick with WIND over any of those other assholes, coverage or not.

• Options
    T4CT wrote: »
    TankHammer wrote: »

You have Bell as your partner so you're in the clear.

I don't know who Verizon partners with but unless it's Rogers I don't see why it'd be spotty. I've never really heard any complaints
    Thanks @T4CT.

I appreciate it!

• Options
    I used to just listen to the Tested podcast for my mobile podcast fix

which I still do because they're hilarious but lately they do less tech talk

so I just started listening to the Verge Mobile Podcast

if you are as weirdly obsessive about phones as me it's actually pretty interesting to listen to.

• Options
    TefTef Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    So I was trying to upload some photos for the dag thread and I've realised that the Minus app, my image uploader on iOS, no longer allows direct links to images

What solutions do you guys use to upload images? I used Photobucket before Minus and wasn't a big fan of it

Tef on
    help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2012
    whenever I try to connect to my home wi-fi network on my Droid, it just fails to connect aftering hanging on "obtain IP address..." for a while without giving me a chance to enter the password or anything

does anyone know what exactly the problem is?

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    I use photobucket.

You can also drop things in the public folder of Dropbox and get links from there.

• Options
    Blake T wrote: »
    I use photobucket.

You can also drop things in the public folder of Dropbox and get links from there.

Using the Dropbox app? Maybe I'm an idiot but I couldn't get it to embed using Dropbox.

I might just go back to photobucket

help a fellow forumer meet their mental health care needs because USA healthcare sucks!

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Bottom left icon gives you a direct link.

• Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    I'm gonna buy a new monitor! Someone tell me what one to buy.

PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    YOvgz3G4

Success?

It would appear not

Tef on

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    Dave, what's your budget, how big and what resolution?

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Around 300-400 euro. 26" or thereabouts and really pretty!

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    Gah, I forgot you work in funny money. Gimme a bit

bit.ly/2XQM1ke
  • Options
    I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights all the traits of greatness starlight at my feetRegistered User regular
    Tef wrote: »
    Gah, I forgot you work in funny money. Gimme a bit

pffff aren't you australian

lfYVHTd.png
This discussion has been closed.