As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I've [CHAT] you for a thousand years, a thousand years

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    ninjai wrote: »
    ...but to make them realize that there's bigger issues in the world than how the get off sexually
    That is not the issue.

Jesus, honestly. Reading your posts is like snorting barbed wire and it's not even 8a.

LATER, GUYS.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    bebarcebebarce Registered User regular
    Squidbunny the problem I see with your argument is that it is your perception that it's not even 8am, when it's clearly 8:58am. It's a very western view that we here in the east do not share.

• Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    squidbunny wrote: »
    ...but to make them realize that there's bigger issues in the world than how the get off sexually
    That is not the issue.

Jesus, honestly. Reading your posts is like snorting barbed wire and it's not even 8a.

LATER, GUYS.

There's not even a discussion to be had, really. The only disagreement I have with anyone is who is taking responsibility?

People blaming others, or individuals taking responsibility.

The rest is all hyperbole.

ninjai on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    ninjai wrote:
    homer-simpson-rolling-back-into-car.gif

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    Skull ManSkull Man RIP KUSU Registered User regular
    I usually just lurk here but I'm popping in to say good god you're wrong

if you find the reaction you're getting uncomfortable it's because it's archaic and hateful and if you don't want to experience it more and more in future I suggest you invest in a library card or a fucking time machine

• Options
    edited August 2012
    I would love

bebarce on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Skull Man wrote: »

if you find the reaction you're getting uncomfortable it's because it's archaic and hateful and if you don't want to experience it more and more in future I suggest you invest in a library card or a fucking time machine

So I'm wrong that people should take responsibility for their emotions behavior instead of counting on other people to indiscriminately love them? You're saying that utopian society is upon us?

The beautiful wonderful glorious thing is that I have done fuck all to disagree with anything aside from wherein the responsibility lies.

Shit.

It is the ultimate live and let live.

ninjai on
  • Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

So I'm wrong that people should take responsibility for their emotions behavior instead of counting on other people to indiscriminately love them? You're saying that utopian society is upon us?

The beautiful wonderful glorious thing is that I have done fuck all to disagree with anything aside from wherein the responsibility lies.

Shit.

"it's your responsiblity not to be offended by my stupid bullshit"

sure, but that doesn't mean what you're saying isn't stupid bullshit

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It seems pretty straight forward:

male   [meyl]
    noun
    1. a person bearing an X and Y chromosome pair in the cell nuclei and normally having a penis, scrotum, and testicles, and developing hair on the face at adolescence; a boy or man.
    2. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces a sperm cell or male gamete.
    fe·male   [fee-meyl]
    noun
    1. a person bearing two X chromosomes in the cell nuclei and normally having a vagina, a uterus and ovaries, and developing at puberty a relatively rounded body and enlarged breasts, and retaining a beardless face; a girl or woman.
    2. an organism of the sex or sexual phase that normally produces egg cells.

It seems pretty straight forward, until it isn't. I invite you to entertain that the reality is a lot more complicated than you are aware.

How about when men have no Y chromosome? How about when women have a Y chromosome? What the fuck is this?

Scosglen on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Rolo wrote: »

Shit.

"it's your responsiblity not to be offended by my stupid bullshit"

sure, but that doesn't mean what you're saying isn't stupid bullshit
    Clever, saying words that I didn't write. Clever girl.

What stupid bullshit? I have written several times since the onset that your BLTWTFU persuasion doesn't matter to me. You can be a he/she a les/bi/gay/straight whathehell ever.

What I'm suggesting is that you accept responsibility for the lifestyle that you lead, or you can blame other people for your hardships. because no one is short of hardships. You are not special because you happen to have a so-called controversial sexual persuasion, and it is no ones responsibility to care for those needs other than yourself.

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    It is not a "sexual persuasion," controversial or otherwise. You keep insisting you've read up on this but you clearly have not; you haven't even bothered to read the posts you're reacting to. Gender does not relate necessarily to sexuality, and you have been explicitly told this and linked about a billion supporting materials you're just bullheadedly ignoring. The "stupid bullshit" is your determined ignorance. A cisgendered individual can be gay or straight, a transgendered individual can be gay or straight. Gender is not sexual orientation. How many times...?!

"It is no one's responsibility to care for those needs other than yourself." This, again. You are advocating that no one care about anyone else's problems and I don't see how you can't understand that that's a jerkass position that folks take exception to.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    You keep insisting you've read up on this but you clearly have not

As a matter of fact I have not once. like. at all... said anything like that.

Have you bothered to read my posts?

Seriously, this is about as motherfucking neutral as anyone can possibly ever be ever. You are free to live that lifestyle.

I'm free not not give a shit either way.

live. and. let. live....................................... What is hard about this?

ninjai on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    If you didn't care you wouldn't have a problem with calling a transperson by the gender they identify as

You clearly do care, and your views are backwards as fuck

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options

I apologize, I guess, for automatically & wrongly inferring (again) that someone with their heels so far dug in has bothered to research his position at all.

header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    If you didn't care you wouldn't have a problem with calling a transperson by the gender they identify as

There is a difference between being for or against, and straight up apathy.
    clearly

The problem I have is when I'm told "it's just a happier world for everyone if you treat people as they would like to be treated in these matters. It's not like you've got anything to lose by going around not offending people. "

When does it become my responsibility? Hint. It's not.

I apologize, I guess, for automatically & wrongly inferring (again) that someone with their heels so far dug in has bothered to research his position at all.

My heels are dug insofar as I don't really care what you are, and it isn't my responsibility to treat you with any sort of special preferential treatment because of your lifestyle habits.

ninjai on
  • Options
    shipship Registered User new member
    Male or female is not determined by the existence or non-existence of junk, it is decided by the motherfucking chromosomes that you are born with. PLEASE debate me on this.

Sorry if this part of the conversation has already been covered! I didn’t spot it.

There's a lot of variation between people and bodies, even at the level of chromosomes, hormones and genitals. This variation can’t be reduced to a simple and absolute division between 'men' and 'women'. 1.7% of people don’t fit into the ideal of biological dimorphism (being obviously one or the other, and having this consistent at all levels). They have ambiguous genitalia, or hormone levels/genetic makeup that conflict with their anatomy. That’s a non-trivial number of people who don’t fit into the idea of a natural, absolute and inerasable gender binary.

You could argue that the variability between humans in their chromosomes/genitals/hormones actually support other (multiple) ways of classifying our bodies. There’s a lot of variation within ‘men’ – why not split them up into multiple categories? There’s a lot of overlap between ‘men and ‘women’ – why not shove them into one group?

And hey! Hi.

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Nobody's asking you to become an LGBT activist. Just refer to people by the gender they identify as. It takes no effort at all.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    -Tal wrote: »
    Nobody's asking you to become an LGBT activist. Just refer to people by the gender they identify as. It takes no effort at all.

I don't know that pronouns actually come up that often in conversation with the individual to which you're referring. I usually use names.
    I've not run into that problem with my IDKWTF friend.

But this doesn't solve the overarching social issue. "Equal Opportunity" is nothing but a nice way of saying "Inverted Discrimination"

ninjai on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular

clearly

The problem I have is when I'm told "it's just a happier world for everyone if you treat people as they would like to be treated in these matters. It's not like you've got anything to lose by going around not offending people. "

When does what become your responsibility? You've said that a couple times and I don't understand what you mean

There isn't any kind of onus being placed on you to care, that band person didn't ask you to give a shit, they told you that they identify as female

Calling them female isn't some special courtesy you're being asked to give, it's a label change and if you were actually apathetic you wouldn't care but that is not the case

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012

clearly

When does what become your responsibility? You've said that a couple times and I don't understand what you mean

There isn't any kind of onus being placed on you to care, that band person didn't ask you to give a shit, they told you that they identify as female

Calling them female isn't some special courtesy you're being asked to give, it's a label change and if you were actually apathetic you wouldn't care but that is not the case

I did place what I'm talking about in quotations...

I'm apathetic to your lifestyle choices, I'm not apathetic when any sort of expectation is put on anyone else based on your world view. "please don't make fun of us, we're BLTROFLMAO" I guess you had to be there.

I've only met 1 TTYL that was so comfortable with their lifestyle that it never came up. Others, it's all they talk about. They CONFRONT people with that shit. I don't run around screaming "I F**K WOMEN WITH MY D**K"

It's no different than a minister beating down your front door with fire and brimstone. I don't care for it.

ninjai on
  • Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    Guys, I've been thinking lately that maybe I like Illustration more than concept art. Starting to feel like my dream job is doing art for wizards of the coast, or something similar. That's a much harder goal than becoming a concept artist, isnt it?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    You're thinking way too hard about this. Trans people are not asking very much of you, simply that you treat them as the gender they identify as.

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    F87 wrote: »
    Guys, I've been thinking lately that maybe I like Illustration more than concept art. Starting to feel like my dream job is doing art for wizards of the coast, or something similar. That's a much harder goal than becoming a concept artist, isnt it?

That'd be suite. I don't know. I'm not really in a position to apply, but I wish u luck. n stuff
    -Tal wrote: »
    You're thinking way too hard about this. Trans people are not asking very much of you, simply that you treat them as the gender they identify as.

Maybe. It has been a number of hours since I slept. I really want to play diablo 3. :(

• Options
    That depends F87. Were you born a concept artist and looking to change to Illustration?

• Options
    F87F87 So Say We All Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    heh.

F87 on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    The transgender conversation is now done.

• Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I would say that it's probably easier to find work as an illustrator, but be aware that to have a career there you are looking at being a fulltime freelancer. You might never get an actual salary to depend on. This is in contrast to, say, a salaried in-house position as a concept artist, but the competition for that relatively small number of jobs is substantially higher.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    What the fuck even happened in here

• Options
    GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Grifter wrote: »
    Before this devolves into some retarded argument, I'd like to remind people to keep things civil.

WTF

• Options
    Someone complained about their scotch being on the rocks, world war 3 broke out, and I delighted the fora with playful punnery at the expense of all involved.

• Options
    Well, to be fair, scotch should generally be served neat.

• Options
    Grifter wrote: »
    Well, to be fair, scotch should generally be served neat.

Society has come to respect the advances of drinkology. Don't label my drink with your philistine notions of propriety.

• Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    What the fuck even happened in here

i no rite

Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    melting_dollmelting_doll Registered User regular
    Welp. After getting very little sleep and bursting into tears walking the 20ft from my bathroom to my bedroom last night, I'm on my way out of this joint to find out what the hell happened to my knee.

So if any of you kneed me, I'll be at the hospital

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Hey amateurhour have you checked out this spot?

http://www.pixelprospector.com/the-big-list-of-game-making-tools/

Thanks for that, I'll have to check it out!

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    Nineteen HundredNineteen Hundred Registered User regular
    So if any of you kneed me

That hurt. But, oh god, feel better soon.

There was something important here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Try to get them to install an awesome bionic leg. Or maybe exchange it for an assault rifle leg.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    There's nothing wrong with scotch on the rocks. At all...

...Unless you're some 21 year old guy at a hotel bar for the first time in your life trying to pick up some cougar hocking big pharma and trying to sound fancy when you order your Glenlivet while I'm just trying to catch the last half of whatever is on Sports Center before some bullshit productivity synergy meeting the next morning at 8:00 am.

...if you're that guy, you suck...

Also, regarding Scotch, the liquor store I love because they do daily free tastings has now offered, for those of us that prefer Bourbon and Scotch to wine, the ability to bypass the wine tastings and sample any three of their really expensive tasty treats instead.

Needless to say it's the first place I go when I get off work Friday. I try a few $80 Bourbons and Scotches and then buy a $25 bottle of Jack Daniels and drink it.

• Options
    That's pretty awesome! I wish they did that at the LCBO around the corner from me. Why yes, I'd love a bit of that 21 year old Macallan.

I don't particularly like ice in my scotch. Just a preference. I'll put in a bit of water but I tend to stay away from ice because I don't like to dilute the liquor too much. That and I don't really like my scotch super cold. Otherwise, I might invest in those whiskey rocks. I've got a bottle of 18 year old Glenmorangie at home in Bermuda that I'm going to share with a few good friends when I fly back in a couple of weeks. It's to celebrate moving to Toronto. I'm really looking forward to it.

I've been drinking some Bulleit bourbon here. It's actually quite nice for the price.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    I will say that being born and raised in the south both A) gave me a deep, heartfelt understanding of Bourbon and Whiskey in general and B) the mindset that if it "ain't from Kentucky or one of the few surrounding states, it ain't worth drinkin'" when it comes to both Bourbon and Whiskey.

I do enjoy Scotch, but I think Canadian Whiskey (sorry Grifter) and Irish Whiskey both taste horrible.

amateurhour on
This discussion has been closed.