As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] Thread 3 - Rise of the Classy Crabs

• Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    So...rumor from Kotaku is that Gamestop is going to sell Steam vouchers starting May 15. I assume this will bring PA's gifting classiness to a whole new level.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Now that I'll believe when I see it.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote: »
    So...rumor from Kotaku is that Gamestop is going to sell Steam vouchers starting May 15. I assume this will bring PA's gifting classiness to a whole new level.

They recently added text strings about redeeming Steam Wallet vouchers to the translation server, so I believe it. I'm wondering it they'll be available outside of North America, though.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Always wondered why there were no Steam giftcards around.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    Always wondered why there were no Steam giftcards around.

I sent Gaben an email asking why there were no Steam cards like the PSN/Live/Etc had s long time ago, so I'm going to go ahead and take full and complete credit for this development.

Then I'm going to email Gaben and ask why Steam doesn't sell sandwiches yet, so cross your fingers that my streak keeps up.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    My laziness to tell people to stop giving me Gamestop gift cards will soon pay off!
    Then I'm going to email Gaben and ask why Steam doesn't sell sandwiches yet, so cross your fingers that my streak keeps up.
    Valve to buy Subway in 5 years.

Hey, they could use a new Jared. :b

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TreadLifeTreadLife CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    To think I wasted some GameStop gift cards on used PS2 games years ago ...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    Hm.

The 15th. Diablo III.

Yeah, a good time to start selling these.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Ok, I emailed them re: sandwiches, everybody cross your fingers for a reply.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    For what it's worth, the latest patch for DIno Beatdown seems to have done...something. At least, it's not crashing to startup during initial load any more (for me at least). I didn't try and get it past the menu screen, because it was midnight, and I had to be in the office this morning. Still, if you had the same issue, looks like it's resolved.

• Options
    LepwaveLepwave Registered User regular
    Thanks to @TheJaxx for Poker Night!

XBL/CoX tags - Lepwave/@Lepwave
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    I'd legitimately like to be able to order takeaway food through Steam. Get the local places to sign up, and just let me order a pizza or a curry through Steam.

Oh, and booze.

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Lord_Snot wrote: »
    I'd legitimately like to be able to order takeaway food through Steam. Get the local places to sign up, and just let me order a pizza or a curry through Steam.

Oh, and booze.

I think at one point, Everquest got a /pizza command.
    Fun fact: The volume of a pizza with radius z and height a is Pi * z * z * a

busfahrer on
    B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    Is there ever PA game nights on STEAM? Like the thread chooses one game that everyone gets in on?

• Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    busfahrer wrote: »

Oh, and booze.

Haha, I remember that. Do you know exactly how it worked?

Like, you just type /pizza, and then a pizza vendor in game would start sending you PMs? Or an online ordering interface would pop up?

• Options
    APODionysusAPODionysus Registered User regular
    Man, when do the Sales flip again in EST? I'm on a train running a errand in Philly (ok it isn't an errand I just felt like having breakfast at Reading Terminal Market), and forgot to pick up Alan Wake.

It's 3pm right? I should be back before 3pm.

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    It opened Pizza Hut's online ordering page. It wasn't really a serious, usable thing more than a cheeky promotional tie-in with Pizza Hut. Now, the pizza party shell script, that was the real shit.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Man, when do the Sales flip again in EST? I'm on a train running a errand in Philly (ok it isn't an errand I just felt like having breakfast at Reading Terminal Market), and forgot to pick up Alan Wake.

My store page says it ends at 4PM PST

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Dangerbird wrote: »
    busfahrer wrote: »

Oh, and booze.

Haha, I remember that. Do you know exactly how it worked?

Like, you just type /pizza, and then a pizza vendor in game would start sending you PMs? Or an online ordering interface would pop up?

It effectively alt-tabbed and opened up the pizza hut website in your browser. Nothing fancy.

• Options
    busfahrerbusfahrer addict GermanyRegistered User regular
    Zxerol wrote: »
    It opened Pizza Hut's online ordering page. It wasn't really a serious, usable thing more than a cheeky promotional tie-in with Pizza Hut. Now, the pizza party shell script, that was the real shit.

I remember that. Too bad it didn't work in Germany!

B2b1M.gif
    Twitter: busfahrer -- Quake Live: busfahrer -- StarCraft II: busfahrer.184 (EU)
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Oh man, I just realized something. My fiancee and I are planning to go on our first cruise this year.

The cruise will be during the first week of December, and there's a good chance there will be a Steam sale. It will be the first time I won't have cheap access to internet during a sale! Not sure how I will cope.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular

While I enjoyed both parts one and two of that interview, I caught a hint of...annoyance right here:
    RPS: Have you had much/any involvement with Valve over the course of the project? Have they contacted you at all? Valve’s been known to hire especially talented teams out of the blue. Were there ever any job offers?

Carlos Montero: There hasn’t been much contact with Valve at all. And if we had gotten job offers, I think we’d be doing that instead of this, haha.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Oh man, I just realized something. My fiancee and I are planning to go on our first cruise this year.

The cruise will be during the first week of December, and there's a good chance there will be a Steam sale. It will be the first time I won't have cheap access to internet during a sale! Not sure how I will cope.

I had to deal with it last holiday when I was in the tropics. The vacation was a good panacea though ;-)

But seriously, I first tried to log onto steam using an internet connection that you paid for by the megabyte. Bad idea, as I ate up all my bandwidth in about two minutes.

Second attempt was an unlimited internet terminal for 30 minutes, however Steam did not like the fact that I was using a foreign computer to purchase games for an American account with an American credit card. I understand why, but dang it, I wanted to serve the Newell.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    PenumbraPenumbra Registered User regular
    Could you load up your steam wallet and purchase off the smartphone Steam App (something I still need to download).

Switch Friend Code: 6359-7575-9391
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Well that's a fine reason to take a trip to Philly (I need to take a trip to hit up the chocolate place near the right entrance for some chocolate covered graham crackers and peanut butter/chocolate covered pretzels. Man they're the best.) and it's saying 4pm pacific time on the site so 7 pm for us east coasters.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

Find a trusted Steam friend. Give that friend your holiday wishlist (or just a general pointer on what your gaming tastes like) and send some amount of money to their Paypal account, so they can send games to your account as gifts during the sale. Problem solved.

Catshade on
  • Options
    NateVaderNateVader Registered User regular

The last sale was a few days before Christmas through Jan 2nd or 3rd. Pretty sure you'll be safe.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Penumbra wrote: »
    Could you load up your steam wallet and purchase off the smartphone Steam App (something I still need to download).

Yeah, you can do that.

• Options
    SudsSuds Registered User regular
    How have the sigs been lately? Still get that "Private profile" error?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular

even if you miss it, it's gonna be the same price through amazon next week

• Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    Suds wrote: »
    How have the sigs been lately? Still get that "Private profile" error?

I've seen them occasionally with "Error - Steam Offline - Not User", or wording similar to that.

They haven't shown up the Private Profile message that I've seen anyway.

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Is there ever PA game nights on STEAM? Like the thread chooses one game that everyone gets in on?

No, but that'd be an awesome idea. We should def. start doing this.

Steam: offday
  • Options
    Idx86Idx86 Long days and pleasant nights.Registered User regular
    I might be late to the party, but if not...

Ohmyfuck, Batman: AC will be $12 on GamersGate this weekend. Seriously testing my will to only play this type of game on my big screen TV. But it's so cheap...!

sig.gif

2008, 2012, 2014 D&D "Rare With No Sauce" League Fantasy Football Champion!
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    NateVader wrote: »

The last sale was a few days before Christmas through Jan 2nd or 3rd. Pretty sure you'll be safe.

I could have sworn we had other sales that started earlier in the month, though. Maybe that was the year before. Eh, being away from the internet will probably be good for me, and chances are that I'll be too busy enjoying the vacation. I won't even be thinking about it!

...until I get home and immediately log onto Steam. Or, really, step off the boat and immediately check the smartphone app.

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    NateVader wrote: »

I could have sworn we had other sales that started earlier in the month, though. Maybe that was the year before. Eh, being away from the internet will probably be good for me, and chances are that I'll be too busy enjoying the vacation. I won't even be thinking about it!

...until I get home and immediately log onto Steam. Or, really, step off the boat and immediately check the smartphone app.

You are thinking of the sale associated with Thanksgiving.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    I'm pretty sure there was a black friday + long weekend sale last year, which did/could extend into early december.
    probably not this year though, t-day is the 22nd.

• Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Di

It's 1pm here for the daily flip.
    anoffday wrote: »

This was similar tithe original idea behind the G&T Adventure Group. Have a place to get games going for some of the less played titles.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    SlimceaSlimcea Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Guys, Rockstar Games is offering you Midnight Club 2 if you join their Official Community Group
    Join the Official Rockstar Games Community on Steam at http://steamcommunity.com/games/rockstargames by 10 am Pacific Time on Tuesday, May 15, 2012, and receive one non-giftable copy of Midnight Club 2 in your Steam account.

Eligibility: User must have a Steam account with at least one successful purchase in the account. The offer is not available to users who already own Midnight Club 2.

Midnight Club doesn't seem to work well with 7 and Vista though. Not officially supported, but if you disable DEP it should run.

Slimcea on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TriiipledotTriiipledot Registered User regular
    anoffday wrote: »

Destreuctoid does Friday night fights like that and they just send out steam events with the game and who is hosting the event. Works well for co op games people might have missed out on or any multiplayer games really.

This discussion has been closed.