As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[STEAM] 75% off Crusader Kings 2 means you REALLY need to get Crusader Kings 2

• Options
    iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    iRevert wrote: »
    You know I just realized I'm not in the Steam group, could I get an invite by chance?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tibblybits

I sent out a few invites to others, but for some reason I can't invite you. :(

More than likely because I have the Bits account set to private, let me change that

You crazy I has invite in inbox.

Thank you kind sir.

iRevert on
  • Options
    staplerofpaperstaplerofpaper Registered User regular
    TreadLife wrote: »
    Build a Bundle is up. UberSoldier 2 does not get a Steam key.
    $1 for the first 3, $0.75 per after that, for a minimum.

http://groupees.com/bab

Any opinions of any of these games?

steam_sig.png
  • Options

I browsed them and did a meh, nothing that really ruffled my pringles

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular

I browsed them and did a meh, nothing that really ruffled my pringles

Yeah most of those games are really bad

Really bad

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    Superman 64 bad? or Custer's Revenge bad?

Super NSFW footage of hot pixel on pixel action for those of you not familiar with custers revenge

iRevert on
  • Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Diamond Dan look good enough for me to pick up the games I didn't have out of the bundle.

And remember, the Bundle in a Box is going live tomorrow. Don't think they've confirmed any games, but for sure the Ben and Dan games will be in it if you're looking to get them and some other indies on the cheap.

starmanbrand on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Dire Jay wrote: »
    Man, this DayZ playthrough video is great. The only thing really holding me back from giving it a try (other than the crazy bugs) is most of the zombies seem to be runners, which I kinda hate. I much prefer the idea of trying to survive with slow walking zombies that try to overwhelm you.
    Agreed. The scary (or scariest) thing about zombies should always be that no matter how much you run or hide, they will never tire. You need to sleep and rest. They only need to eat your brains (though not your eyes.)

Now that you mention it, I don't remember the last zombie movie I saw where zombies were actually eating brains. Seems like people always get bit on the arm, hand, neck, or shoulders. And, once they go down and get swarmed, they always get torn open, with guts going everywhere.

The "zombies eat brains" concept got a bit out of hand. I think it was the Return of the Living Dead series that started the whole "BRAINS!!!" thing, but Romero's zombie series never went there. Now it's hard to find a review of any zombie movie or video game without the reviewer mentioning that they're out to eat your brains, despite the fact that usually the zombies don't care which part of the body they get to munch on. Oh well, it's a credit to the RotLD creators that it integrated itself into the zombie mythos.

On an unrelated note, I finished Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery this weekend. Pretty good, but also short. Glad it came with the soundtrack because there are some excellent songs in there.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular

I looked that over, and my first thought was "Some of those are pretty good games". Then I realised many of those in the first row had been in the first Groupees bundle (Nikopol, PAM et al). I suspect the ones in the second row are from the second bundle...is there anything new in there?

• Options
    starmanbrandstarmanbrand Registered User regular
    Caster, Ubersoldier, Diamond Dan, NEcrovision, and Lost Souls are all new. Don't think any of them have even been in a bundle before.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    SteevL wrote: »
    Dire Jay wrote: »
    Man, this DayZ playthrough video is great. The only thing really holding me back from giving it a try (other than the crazy bugs) is most of the zombies seem to be runners, which I kinda hate. I much prefer the idea of trying to survive with slow walking zombies that try to overwhelm you.
    Agreed. The scary (or scariest) thing about zombies should always be that no matter how much you run or hide, they will never tire. You need to sleep and rest. They only need to eat your brains (though not your eyes.)

Now that you mention it, I don't remember the last zombie movie I saw where zombies were actually eating brains. Seems like people always get bit on the arm, hand, neck, or shoulders. And, once they go down and get swarmed, they always get torn open, with guts going everywhere.

The "zombies eat brains" concept got a bit out of hand. I think it was the Return of the Living Dead series that started the whole "BRAINS!!!" thing, but Romero's zombie series never went there. Now it's hard to find a review of any zombie movie or video game without the reviewer mentioning that they're out to eat your brains, despite the fact that usually the zombies don't care which part of the body they get to munch on. Oh well, it's a credit to the RotLD creators that it integrated itself into the zombie mythos.

On an unrelated note, I finished Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery this weekend. Pretty good, but also short. Glad it came with the soundtrack because there are some excellent songs in there.

All we want to do is eat your brains.
    We're not unreasonable. I mean, no one's gonna eat your eyes.
    All we want to do is eat your brains.
    We're at an impasse here. Maybe we should compromise.

• Options
    BlendtecBlendtec Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    I just noticed, CNN had an article about the new Civ5 expansion. It's poorly written, but it got me thinking, why isn't it up for preorder yet on Steam?

Blendtec on
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    You know I just realized I'm not in the Steam group, could I get an invite by chance?

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Tibblybits

Same, not in group.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/hell_rell

He's been a forum member since 2010 with over 2k comments. You've been a member for 1 and a half months with about 400. You'll certainly be in the next round. Think of it like a Hall of Fame induction, you'll just catch the next class.

• Options
    I have over 2k posts?

Obviously I'm not posting enough.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    side-convo: GoT the RpG still does not work.

One suggestion I saw on the Steam forums for the game, if you have an Nvidia card: set all the 3d settings for the game to "Let the application decide."

Hmm I wonder how you do that when the menus are not populated with any options. Or did they mean in the nvidia control panel?

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    Handgimp wrote: »
    side-convo: GoT the RpG still does not work.

One suggestion I saw on the Steam forums for the game, if you have an Nvidia card: set all the 3d settings for the game to "Let the application decide."

Hmm I wonder how you do that when the menus are not populated with any options. Or did they mean in the nvidia control panel?

control panel

• Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    Blendtec wrote: »
    I just noticed, CNN had an article about the new Civ5 expansion. It's poorly written, but it got me thinking, why isn't it up for preorder yet on Steam?

Maybe nobody cares about Civ 5.

• Options
    EmberquickEmberquick Master of Dungeons Deep UndergroundRegistered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    Emberquick wrote: »
    SteevL wrote: »
    Man, I came so *close* to jumping on that Assbro weekend deal. I would've too, except for the fact that AC2 sits in my backlog, unplayed. Bought it during the holiday sale, but I bought SO MUCH during that sale, and then Skyrim happened to me and I haven't even touched half of what I bought.

So was I a fool to pass up Assbro for $7.50? Is it very different from AC2 or just more of the same?

Since you haven't played AC2 yet, no point in jumping on AssBro until you finish it. You'll probably find it for even cheaper than $7.50 by the time it goes on sale again. Regardless, AssBro is pretty good! It refines a lot of stuff from AC2. I enjoyed the whole "start an assassin's order" thing.

Ah, many thanks. Good to know. AC2 is on my short list of "stuff to play as soon as Diablo & Skyrim release me from their iron grip."

Short list:

- Fallout New Vegas
    - AC2
    - Ghostbusters
    - Mass Effect

Sigh. I need shorter games on my short list!

thumbs up on ghostbusters. I'm playing through it currently... well that and bulletstorm and TOR and dark souls. ok the point is i started playing it and have gotten a few chapters in and really need to go back to it. but it's really good. it's actually not that long. i just picked a poor time to start playing it.

Yeah, I've ignored most Ghostbusters stuff over the years, but I kept hearing that this latest game was really good--and when I found out that the original cast voiced it, and that it was sorta an unofficial/official Ghostbusters 3, I knew I had to have it. :-)

Looking forward to starting that sucker up.
    Yeah, Ghostbusters is meaty, but not too long. It's basically a third Ghostbusters movie. Bill Murray basically phones in his lines, but everyone else's lines are super. Howlongtobeat.com places it at 9 hours, and that sounds about right to me (I played through it on PS3). Blaze your way through that, then figure out what to play next on your backlog.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

(It's funny, when I read your comment about Bill Murray phoning in his lines, all I could think of was that scene in Zombieland when they stumble across him and he's so bored and starved for human companionship that he runs around playing "Ghostbusters" with them in his house . . . like nothing less than the end of the world would make him be Peter Venkman again!)

I think I'll start Ghostbusters next, as opposed to say, Fallout NV. If NV is anything like FO3, I'll lose way to many productive hours of the day and night wandering the wastes dispensing frontier justice.

Which is what I *really want* to do. But not until Summer when I have more time . . . .

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ShapeshifterShapeshifter Pants Optioanl Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    jeremywc wrote: »
    Could someone toss me an invite for the Steam group? I would appreciate it. :-)

Here's my Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hellbender

I thought it took 6 months? I've been trying to get an invite

It's supposed to. However a bajillion people have invite status so oftentimes people will get in earlier if someone either doesn't know the rule or mistakenly thinks they're an old timer.

What makes a PA member an old timer? join date or post count.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    mrt144 wrote: »

Man, what? Civ 5 is great. Stop being a crazy person.

• Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    Corpekata wrote: »
    jeremywc wrote: »
    Could someone toss me an invite for the Steam group? I would appreciate it. :-)

Here's my Steam profile: http://steamcommunity.com/id/hellbender

I thought it took 6 months? I've been trying to get an invite

It's supposed to. However a bajillion people have invite status so oftentimes people will get in earlier if someone either doesn't know the rule or mistakenly thinks they're an old timer.

What makes a PA member an old timer? join date or post count.

A little from column a, a little from column b I suppose. I probably spend more time in chat than anywhere else.

• Options
    reVerse wrote: »

Nah Civ 5 is good

Civ 4 is great

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Lord_SnotLord_Snot Живу за выходные American ValhallaRegistered User regular
    BigDes wrote: »

Nah Civ 5 is good

Civ 4 is great

Civ V is excellent. But I think I still prefer Civ IV. More complex and runs better for me on ancient hardware. :P

• Options
    Lord_Snot wrote: »

Nah Civ 5 is good

Civ 4 is great

Civ V is excellent. But I think I still prefer Civ IV. More complex and runs better for me on ancient hardware. :P

Civs are boring Pharaoh is where its at

• Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    Fear 3 for £2.99 over at greenmangaming.com. Pick it up for Coop goodness

• Options
    Big Isy wrote: »
    Fear 3 for £2.99 over at greenmangaming.com. Pick it up for Coop goodness disconnects

fixed that for you

• Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    So dead island for £8? Worth it?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    I'd say so.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Dead Island is amazing.

Don't get suckered into buying any DLC, though. All of it is terrible.

• Options
    Dead Island is amazing.

Agreed

• Options
    More importantly

Get the Thief Collection

Buy it

Now

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Hmm, Painkiller for 0% off. Intriguing sale. Not quite as good as yesterdays deal, though.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    More importantly

Get the Thief Collection

Buy it

Now

This.

I've been waiting for them to be $5 on GOG since I already own and have beaten both, but now Steam is tempting me so badly.

Wonder if they've got all the Windows 7 fixes pre-installed in the Steam version, too....

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Wait, do the steam versions of Thief actually run on modern hardware or is it just going to give me the same problems as my discs?

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Wait, do the steam versions of Thief actually run on modern hardware or is it just going to give me the same problems as my discs?

I was holding off on getting them for this reason.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=30854832&postcount=9

Moot point :D
    Yes, these versions are like the GOG ones and should work with W7

So basically, it comes with all those fan patches pre-installed. Also with the widescreen mod, I think.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    Drake wrote: »
    Not if you could run faster than them. You combine that with the lethality of the firearms and you'd never see thousands of them. It'd be zombie round-up time, cowboy style.

Well, ideally zombies would hear gunfire and move towards it, eventually surrounding you. I don't know if you've seen the mod, but ammo is very scarce, so you're not taking out more than a handful before you're empty. Give the zombies some kind of grapple mechanic, and you'd have to be really careful when and where you engage zombies. You can't outrun them if there's nowhere to go.

Yeah that sounds good and would really work in another type of game with a smaller scale and constriction in your environment. The problem is, you have all of Chernarus to run around in. And you may have that buddy back at the northwest airfield that your pals are holding down for the moment. Heck you've even repaired that MI-8 with the mounted door-guns. He's just 2.5 km out, he can get that bird up, and you can run faster than the zombies for a few minutes no problem. Or tons of other scenarios like that. It makes for a much more intense game with fast infected in Day Z. Otherwise most encounters with zombies would be non-events. You just kinda jog away to the other side of town. He shambles over, you jog to another part of town. The way things area now, just one zombie is all it takes to really give you problems and put into a really interesting decision making process. To mitigate the fact that they are so fast they do have poor eyesight. They mainly rely on hearing and sense of smell. Aesthetically speaking I prefer the slow, mushy Romero Zombies too and the terrible dread and pity that attends them. But in gaming terms I think Rocket made the right call.

• Options
    I think Day Z could do with at the very least a basic melee attack

Not too powerful but something that means a single zombie won't kill you if you have no ammo

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    Dead Island is amazing.

Good information, thanks. Looks like I'm pulling the trigger on this one.

• Options
    AsheAshe Registered User regular
    Thief stuff. Buy, buy, buy.

Quite tempted on Dead Island, but I should be saving my pennies for Operation Arrowhead/DayZ so I can run away from zombies instead of beating them to death with electrified sticks.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ashe wrote: »

Quite tempted on Dead Island, but I should be saving my pennies for Operation Arrowhead/DayZ so I can run away from zombies instead of beating them to death with electrified sticks.

As posted earlier $15 ARMA2+Arrowhead - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003UV8RRE/?tag=vglnk-c72-20

• Options
    rikdalyrikdaly Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

The Ball is a great game so it's well worth chosing a few games just to get it, It's a first person puzzle game and you get to squish monkeys with a giant ball

from the other games I already own Nikopol, Sideway, Xotic & BEEP but I've only playeld Sideway, it seems ok but I don't get along with the music at all and the first boss fight annoyed me so I've put it to one side for the minute

I played the demo for Post Apocalyptic Mayhem a while ago and wasn't really taken by it but I'll probably buy it if anyone has anything good to say about it?
    Ashe wrote: »

Thief 1 & 2 would be really tempting if I didn't already have them on disc

rikdaly on
    steam_sig.png