As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Oblivion! (NSF56k)

1141516171820»

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    As part of my quest for optimum performance, I turned down the resolution to 720 by 480. It didn't fix the screen corruption problem, but it looks completely hillarious after getting used to playing it in 1280 by 800. Plays really smoothly, though.

I think I'll try turning the better-looking tree popin distance to 0 now.

jothki on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited July 2007
    Kreutz wrote: »
    Can you drown people in Oblivion, people and animals you fight against?

Yes, but it takes a long time. I've done it a few times in dungeons. You have to get them trapped under an outcropping or a bridge so they can't surface.

if you knock them unconscious they lose their breath meter completely, I think.

Tube on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Fleeb wrote: »
    (alliteration makes my testicles retreat into my body cavity)

Inguinal Canal. Just sayin'.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

Yes, but it takes a long time. I've done it a few times in dungeons. You have to get them trapped under an outcropping or a bridge so they can't surface.

So would dragging a fight into the water and casting a powerful drain fatigue spell followed by some solid hand to hand hits would kill someone, right?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

So would dragging a fight into the water and casting a powerful drain fatigue spell followed by some solid hand to hand hits would kill someone, right?

What about paralyze?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My birthsign appears as a disease (Disease: The Warrior Fortify Strength 10 pts Self (Birthsign)) in the magic list, and is removed by cure disease items and spells. Although they are quickly replaced, it's kind of retarded. Is this a known and fixable issue?

e: Also, is it normal that I can fast travel to places I haven't been? I just heard of Kvatch and Skeingrad, and now I can zip right there from Chorrol or whatever it's called, near the abbey.

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    n00bish wrote: »
    My birthsign appears as a disease (Disease: The Warrior Fortify Strength 10 pts Self (Birthsign)) in the magic list, and is removed by cure disease items and spells. Although they are quickly replaced, it's kind of retarded. Is this a known and fixable issue?

e: Also, is it normal that I can fast travel to places I haven't been? I just heard of Kvatch and Skeingrad, and now I can zip right there from Chorrol or whatever it's called, near the abbey.

It's probably a mod doing that...it's so your str can go up to 110 (your natural str caps at 100, the disease gives you a +10 on top of that).

You can fast travel to cities.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Yeah, cities you can travel to immedietly, everything else you actually need to find.

The only thing I'm getting bored of recently (and why I haven't played as much) is the amount of oblivion gates I must suffer through. I understand that's the "point" of the main quest, and I really gotta help the cities out, but man. So many gates...

I did a lot of the side quest stuff, and am currently the guildmaster of the thieves, and the listener for the dark brotherhood. I am currently staying away from the fighter's and mage's guilds, as I only joined them to ransack all of their guild houses. Done that...

My goal was to do the main storyline, then do the prophet quests, so I'd lose all my infamy, then start doing the shivering isles. Not sure if I need to even do the main quests before doing the isles, or hell, if I even want to.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    n00bishn00bish Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    n00bish wrote: »

It's probably a mod doing that...it's so your str can go up to 110 (your natural str caps at 100, the disease gives you a +10 on top of that).

You can fast travel to cities.

aaaaaah, its the birthsign nomax thing. Thanks. One more thing. Two more things. First, I found a red cape and the bloody thing won't stay on. It just randomly de-equips without me going into the inventory or anything. Secondly, sometimes my walking and sheathing sounds go all dull like I am underwater when I am not. Any tips there?

n00bish on
    btrsig.jpg
  • Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    HAHA! I finished the main quest today. Now I can explore! Wheee!

First up, thieves' guild and Dark Brotherhood. I wonder where the Knights of the Nine quests are...

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    More random fun with Oblivion:

I was wandering through an scamp/conjurer dungeon, and right after skirting a particularly nasty trap involving the floor rapidly rising into a bunch of spikes, I stumbled on a room with two conjurers. A bit of quicksave experimentation revealed that I could drop one of them with a single arrow from stealth, but I couldn't take on the other in a fight.

The second kill felt so badass. Unfortunately, there were others deeper in the dungeon so I had to halt exploration.

jothki on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I should mention that Knights of the Nine has one of the most awesome hidden basements ever. :D

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    cemetery mancemetery man Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This seemed to be the most recent PC Oblivion thread I could find to ask this in.

I installed the OOO mod that people have reccomended a lot and my question was should I be using the built in optional slow leveling mod? I hear this helps balance out the ridiculous stuff later on where people can still be beating your ass as you level up.

I read that this mod increases default difficulty anyway in the game especially early on, which I think is kind of pointless anyway. as I went outside the city and got 2 hit killed by a boar.

Will I be fine just playing with the difficulty slider more towards easy? And should I use the slow leveling mod?

Also I couldn't really find a PA approved list of mods to use to enhance the overall experience. A lot of the ones I found with Google were kind of vague or too confusing.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I tried playing this a long time ago and it was too much for me. Healing myself was a hassle, my character was not so great, and those scary ruins scattered all over the world were creeping me out. I fixed Kvatch, that's as far as I got.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    I used OOO-lite and first did the main quest. I only had to knock the difficulty down to the left during the last boss. By then I didn't really care about any of it anyway. I don't see the point in using the slow-leveling-mod. It's fun to reach a new level and when things get ridiculously easy you could always adjust the difficulty.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    My main concern was getting jumped by high level wild animals that leveled with me, or finding amazing drops off of robbers and bandits on the roadside who are supposed to be poor and desperate but instead are wearing uber gear.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    My main concern was getting jumped by high level wild animals that leveled with me, or finding amazing drops off of robbers and bandits on the roadside who are supposed to be poor and desperate but instead are wearing uber gear.

Well, it's not like the animals level with you much. You won't be level 30 and facing the uber-rat supreme. Rather, you'll be level 30 and instead of a rat, hey guess what now a giant fucking bear spawns there instead.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Also I couldn't really find a PA approved list of mods to use to enhance the overall experience. A lot of the ones I found with Google were kind of vague or too confusing.

This was linked to earlier in the thread, I believe. It seems like a pretty good place to start.

jothki on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the info,

Having so many mods available is good and bad for me as there's so much to choose from.
    Anyone know if there's a way to export my characters settings for face and everything if I end up having to start over? I finally got a good face for her which is tough in itself and I don't want to have to try and recreate it if I end up having to restart.

cemetery man on
  • Options
    edited August 2007
    Thanks for the info,

Having so many mods available is good and bad for me as there's so much to choose from.
    Anyone know if there's a way to export my characters settings for face and everything if I end up having to start over? I finally got a good face for her which is tough in itself and I don't want to have to try and recreate it if I end up having to restart.

You could just save an extra file right at the beginning, so you can restart from that same character.

Any thoughts on switching from no armor to light armor part of the way (well, level 8) through the game? My monk-type has been using regular enchanted clothing, but I keep finding snazzy light armor; my latest find is an Elven helmet that gives life detection at 85 feet (the ring that I'm currently using gives 65). How hard is it to switch over (I got the skill up to over 20 by having a rat bash on me for a while, but I assume it becomes harder at higher levels), and what will it do to my precious, precious runspeed and casting?

jothki on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    You could just save an extra file right at the beginning, so you can restart from that same character.

Any thoughts on switching from no armor to light armor part of the way (well, level 8) through the game? My monk-type has been using regular enchanted clothing, but I keep finding snazzy light armor; my latest find is an Elven helmet that gives life detection at 85 feet (the ring that I'm currently using gives 65). How hard is it to switch over (I got the skill up to over 20 by having a rat bash on me for a while, but I assume it becomes harder at higher levels), and what will it do to my precious, precious runspeed and casting?
    runspeed is rather neglectable, casting goes from 100 to 95% IIRC. Armour is really nice, though, it gives you some survivability when you're stuck in melee.

Aldo on
  • Options
    walnutmonwalnutmon Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    jothki wrote: »

I am nearly certain that the same rat pounding will work despite your lofty level... Just make sure you feel guilty for cheating the system.

walnutmon on
    xbox: jmbizzo | ps3: walnutmon | steam: walnutmon | SC2: walnutmon.591
  • Options
    SceptreSceptre Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    This game infuriates me so much. I invested a good 8 hours into it the other day, and then my save games got corrupted. On a 59 hour long game.

The only save game that works is before those 8 hours, during which I completely filled a house with all my keepsakes, beat the dark brother hood, AND the thieves guild.

Fuck.

Sceptre on
  • Options
    SpikedFreakSpikedFreak Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Sceptre wrote: »
    This game infuriates me so much. I invested a good 8 hours into it the other day, and then my save games got corrupted. On a 59 hour long game.

The only save game that works is before those 8 hours, during which I completely filled a house with all my keepsakes, beat the dark brother hood, AND the thieves guild.

Fuck.

Atleast you don't have to replay the boring Fighters guild??? < /trying to find the bright side>

SpikedFreak on