As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

When the bar comes off your chest... don't stop [Weightlifting thread]

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    hey tubeslinger how the geetar going?

Haunting me with its very presence on my wall

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular
    shoulder pressing 55lbs

left shoulder making me grimace every time i lift. grunting would've just been embarrassing

Injured?

If not, why are you only pressing 55s? You should be using 80s, right?

I am moving soon and I have no real motivation to lift anything at the moment. My gym is packed and it makes me claustrophobic. My solution to this problem is to retreat to the raquetball court where I'm not harrassed by little high school kids who think they are tough.

At least on the raquetball court I am constantly humbled by old men who can prove that they are better than me.

• Options
    Slider wrote: »
    shoulder pressing 55lbs

left shoulder making me grimace every time i lift.

Injured?

What do you fucking think.

• Options
    Dead LegendDead Legend Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    yes @Slider, my shoulder is hurt, and has been mocking me since april
    hey tubeslinger how the geetar going?

Haunting me with its very presence on my wall

is the tendonitis still flaring up?

Dead Legend on
    diablo III - beardsnbeer#1508 Mechwarrior Online - Rusty Bock
  • Options
    is the tendonitis still flaring up?

Tendonitis is (touch wood) pretty much gone in my wrist. I can feel it if I play for a really long time or start to think about tendonitis. If I hold an electric guitar my right shoulder plays up pretty badly and I don't have the postural knowledge to know how to fix it. Acoustic guitar is fine though. The haunting is more the fact that learning a musical instrument is like having homework due for the rest of your life.

• Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    I'm dealing with a knee injury myself. About a month and a half or so ago had a very very big highschool kid land funny on my leg when I threw him in BJJ and felt it pop, it's stable and I took it easy for a bit but now I'm getting pain near lockout now and then and something in my calf leading into my knee is getting extremely tight and hating me here and there. As much as I love the MMA shit some days I really really miss just lifting and focusing entirely on setting new PRs.

"I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    To be fair, it's a cool talent to have to work at.

• Options
    TheRealBadgerTheRealBadger Registered User regular
    I judge everyone at the gym. Like, the other day I walked in and this guy was attempting a 260kg bench and I was just like... you sack of shit.

That's not true, I was actually completely fucking gobsmacked. He missed the lockout, but only by a fraction.

• Options
    SliderSlider Registered User regular

What happened?

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Peen wrote: »
    Tube I've got to say I'm continually surprised by your unwillingness to judge people in the gym. A lot of people that go to the gym are assholes and should get judged and mocked like any other assholes.

I judge people at the gym every day, I just reserve my ire for the people who deserve it rather than people who are making different exercise choices to me.

Ohhh. Ok. That's fair.

I saw one of those weird gym dudes the last time I was in, he had really big arms but almost no chest or back or legs to speak of. I'd never quite know what to think about those dudes because hey, they've got nice arms, but they've got shitty everything elses. It's not my cup of tea, that's for sure.

Also a group of dudes with a million plates on the leg press, doing quarter ROM reps with a dude on each side of the press helping to move the weight. Then they moved to squats and were doing quarter squats with 225. I was not impressed.

Peen on
  • Options
    Chessboxing909Chessboxing909 Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I usually just get frustrated people watching at the gym, there's so many people that go in, work at it but have bad information so they see no progress, I just feel bad for em.

Chessboxing909 on
    "I will f**kin' beat you into the ground in front of your whole life that I don't get to have." -Nick Diaz

I love south american ground karate
  • Options
    Peen you just have high standards

• Options
    YoSoyTheWalrusYoSoyTheWalrus Registered User regular
    The only time I've gotten mad at someone for doing curls in the cage was when I asked if I could work in to do squats and he said "Only if you don't move anything" and I just wanted to napalm the whole fucking place

tumblr_mvlywyLVys1qigwg9o1_250.png
  • Options
    When I first started I shared a rack with a guy who was pressing what I was squatting. I got real sad.

• Options
    When I first started I shared a rack with a guy who was pressing what I was squatting. I got real sad.

At my first comp one of the superheavyweights beat my best squat with his bodyweight.

• Options
    Peen you just have high standards

Yeah, that's true. I don't mind people doing their shitty bullshit programs (and yes I'm ok with saying that because I go to the gym at the same time on the same days each week, you get to know the crowd) but man. It hurts me to watch sometimes.

Tube I just did that to someone, only the other way around, the other day and I didn't know how to feel about it. It was this older lady and I wanted to say "no it's cool, you're squatting right and it's good," but I didn't really say anything. She was nice about it.

• Options
    Slider wrote: »

What happened?

No fucking clue, to be totally honest!

• Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Man, started out the day pretty good, got up, got a couple chores done and got ready and headed out to work. Once I pull into work as I'm getting out of my truck and woops! Back spasm on my left side. Hurt like a bitch let me tell you what. It's down to just sore so I'm going to be careful working it tonight. Went for a walk at lunch and that made it feel a whole bunch better.

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MethuselahMethuselah United StatesRegistered User regular
    What is everyone's take on bicep curls vs. chin ups? Are dumbbell curls the best thing you can do because you can get a full ROM with suppInation, or are (weighted) chins better because they are heavier and more of a compound lift with lat and chest involvement?

Let's say in terms of bicep growth

• Options
    If I were going to one or the other it'd be chinups, but they're both good in different ways. Curls have the advantage that anyone can do them. A lot of people can't do chinups.

• Options
    I'll throw a hat in for barbell rows with a double underhand grip. They nailed my biceps and forearms both. I'm not a bodybuilding sort of guy but I'm going to keep doing them in the name of sweet guns and a wide back.

• Options
    the wookthe wook Registered User regular
    Methuselah wrote: »
    What is everyone's take on bicep curls vs. chin ups? Are dumbbell curls the best thing you can do because you can get a full ROM with suppInation, or are (weighted) chins better because they are heavier and more of a compound lift with lat and chest involvement?

Let's say in terms of bicep growth

They're two totally different types of exercises. Comparing a compound lift with an isolation lift completely misses the point of the two types of lifts, especially when the muscle you're using as a benchmark isn't the primary mover in the compound lift.

Chinups are going to be a more functional exercise, as to an extent you're training your body how to use your biceps and lats at the same time. Conversely, compound movements allow one muscle to compensate for weakness in another, which can allow strength imbalances to propagate. Compound movements tend to have a greater positive effect on hormone levels. Isolation exercises allow you to fully exhaust a particular muscle group.

If you're talking simply trying to increase the size of your biceps, you would want to do 2 biceps isolation exercises, 3x10, every 12 hours. This would maintain elevated local levels of mechano growth factor, which is really really good at causing muscles to grow.

If you want to get bigger stronger arms without concern for the development of any particular muscle, compound exercises are probably your better bet.

In general, however, there's no such thing a 'better' exercise, except for particular goals. Goals which need to be clarified beyond "bicep growth"

• Options
    Hey The Wook, does the top part of a dumbbell fly have any real effect? It always feels like the work of the lift is done in the bottom, stretched position and the top position only serves to generate fatigue. I'm in pretty serious need of isolating my pecs as much as possible, so I'm doing decline flies at the end of my chest workouts, and it seems like there's a lot of different ways you could potentially mess with the muscle recruitment.

• Options
    do low cable flies in the cable column. almost all chest exercises apply the most resistance in the stretched position, but low cable flies apply the most resistance in the fully contracted position. It's a range of motion that doesn't get trained very often.

• Options
    A duck!A duck! Moderator, ClubPA mod
    I wish I had a cable machine. It's the only thing I miss from a full gym.

• Options
    If you've got the room I don't think they're that expensive, comparatively. Right now I'm trying to find an incline/decline bench that I can fit into a fairly small space so I can do the majority of my lifting at home and then use the oly club twice a week for squatting and lifting.

• Options
    big lbig l Registered User regular
    How’s your training going atm anyway L?

Terrible, I just moved for the next 6 months and I pretty much have not lifted a weight for the past month. Yesterday I just signed up for a crappy local gym near where I am now though so I can start doing something. We'll see. I don't expect to be able to maintain a 500# squat without the spotters and the atmosphere and so forth from my PL gym (and it's probably impolite to take up a squat rack for an hour or more when there's only one in the gym) but I can maintain the deadlift and work on my bench maybe. Who knows.

• Options
    I saw a guy overhead squatting at my gym yesterday, which I've never seen before, and he was moving pretty good weight. He topped out at 285 for a single, I was impressed. A few days ago I saw a guy bench 405x3, which was pretty impressive.

• Options
    the wook wrote: »
    do low cable flies in the cable column. almost all chest exercises apply the most resistance in the stretched position, but low cable flies apply the most resistance in the fully contracted position. It's a range of motion that doesn't get trained very often.

Thanks the wook. Is there any particular angle I want to shoot for?

• Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    So that guy is basically a complete dumb ass, more or less. From my understanding vibrams are basically the closest you can get to lifting barefoot, which I do, without actually having your feet bare.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    open up your article with gay as a pejorative and then just go downhill from there

is 70s big that terrible on the whole?

Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    Look at the comments, he replies within them in italics... he's just a douche.

PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    Damn, I am a failure at lifting and also at running? shit :(

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    BEAST! wrote: »

how does it feel to get owned so bad

Steam ID
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    and for folks that wonder why Tube doesn't like people who spend more time deriding what others do in the gym rather than just focusing on their own shit, i'd hazard a guess that it's because it leads to things like that (and those comments)

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
  • Options
    the wook wrote: »

Thanks the wook. Is there any particular angle I want to shoot for?

Not really. It's just about increasing the resistance of the fly at the peak contraction. If anything, changing the angle every few weeks would probably give you the best results.

And I do all of my lifting in Vibrams, so I am a double cheeseburger made of double cheeseass.

• Options
    BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    BEAST! wrote: »

how does it feel to get owned so bad
    i am devastated.....it is making me question whether i was even able to run that 50 miler in them earlier this month, maybe i just imagined it....i definitely can't do the 100k i have planned in august, not after being owned so hard

i would kick rocks right now but i'm afraid i'd break my toes in these stupid vibrams

dfzn9elrnajf.png
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Got 3x5 at 205# without a belt, and 2x5 at 215# with the belt today

still screwing up my bench badly. might drop the weight back to just 115# and just do a lot of reps for a few days before trying to increase again

got back into doing RDLs again too, got 115# for 3x10

and last but not least i need to learn to eat slower right when I get back from the gym. almost made myself puke from chompin down a cold banana and a serving of chocolate milk

• Options
    Guys shoes are awesome. People invented shoes, they are technology. Don't you want to utilize technology to make you better at life and lifting?

This discussion has been closed.