Options

[WH40k] 6th Edition Incoming. Hide your women and children!

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    For the record the picture I posted wasn't making fun of the people who are unhappy with 6th.

I put my new lanyard on my son, as soon as I put him down to take a picture he went from happy baby to extremely upset.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Alright, I missed the launch of 4th and 5th, and the launch of 3rd didn't have the huge internet coverage we have now.

Is the sort of pissing and moaning going on the sort of thing that just occurs with a GW edition release online? Because for every person trying to be rational about it, there's 20 claiming the sky is falling.

It's a thing that happens every time GW do something. Just look at every single Codex release.

I am pretty happy overall with 6th. While it's done no favours to my Thousand Sons (but a new codex is on the horizon, so that doesn't really matter), my new Eldar is looking pretty good overall. Especially with the changes to vehicles. I may have to try and squeeze a Farseer in, especially as the Runes of Warding haven't changed in the FAQ. Although it looks like they missed the Farseer's Spirit Stones.

Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Fliers and allies seem like they have the potential to be fairly broken, HOWEVER I'm gunna wait and see how it pans out before getting upset.
    The lack of anti-air for xenos if you don't want to take your own fliers is a bit iffy

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    Welp. I was halfway through painting my two hydras, but now they're pretty much a one trick AA pony. Hurrah.

Also... from a guard perspective, character challenges seem to have some serious flaws. In a large blob squad, I can just keep throwing shitty sergeants at whatever deathstar IC I'm fighting. If he accepts, he gets to splatter a 6 pt model, and nothing else and all his power is wasted. If he refuses, he becomes extremely paranoid and is out of the fight completely. Big bad choas lord better watch out. Corperal Gilbert has a butterknife with his name on it!

website_header.jpg
  • Options
    MatriasMatrias Registered User regular
    Am I reading things right to assume the rulebook Missile launcher overrides all codex missile launchers? It says the firing player must choose between firing the option for flakk missiles, krak missiles, and frag missiles.

It seems like their intention is give the Space Marine codex a way to shoot at fliers.

3DS/Pokemon Friend Code - 2122-5878-9273 - Kyle
  • Options
    McGibsMcGibs TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    it says that "some missile launchers ma fire flakk rockets, but most have to upgrade to fire them"

Should just be all missile launchers.

McGibs on
    website_header.jpg
  • Options
    TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    Nope, no flakk missiles yet. Says in the paragraph for it that some armies have an upgrade option for it, but none do yet.

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • Options
    the missile launcher in the appendices lists flakk missiles in the profile.

I think the text about upgrades is supposed to be something fluffy. Typical GW, though.

If I'm playing with friends who are going to use flyers, I think I will operate as if missile launchers has them.

• Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    Is there a reference somewhere granting all flyer-mounted weapons Skyfire? 'Cause I don't see it.

• Options
    I disagree since in all the other weapon descriptions have the second paragraph as rules and the first paragraph as fluff. It's a solid house-rule though.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Is there a reference somewhere granting all flyer-mounted weapons Skyfire? 'Cause I don't see it.

Top of page 81 under Special Rules
    "Flyers can choose whether or not to use the Skyfire special rule at the start of each Shooting phase."

Because there's no splitting fire for flyers (yet) there's no downside to their ability to shoot down other flyers.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    My thoughts, copy and pasted from another guys.
    The Missile Launchers heading in the Weaponry section outlines as a blanket Missile Launchers of all kinds, regardless of what the specific name is. This would include Cyclone Missile Launchers and Typhoon Missile launchers, for example.

Looking in the Weapons Appendix, it's clearly listed that Cyclones and Typhoons only get Frag and Krak standard, while stock Missile Launchers also get access to Flakk.

Matrias on
  • Options
    Alright, I missed the launch of 4th and 5th, and the launch of 3rd didn't have the huge internet coverage we have now.

Is the sort of pissing and moaning going on the sort of thing that just occurs with a GW edition release online? Because for every person trying to be rational about it, there's 20 claiming the sky is falling.

Flyers are fucking stupid and completely fuck armies that won't see a release for another ten years that don't have a way to deal with them outside of allies.

Random charge distance is flatly bad, people who say otherwise are stupid and wrong.

Having to go back and remodel unit champs because whoops turns out I actually want swords rather than axes is dumb.

Pretty happy with everything else.

• Options
    Yes, they get access to flakk, that's an upgrade as stated in the weaponry section. It's not fluff. Still a good house-rule until the new codices are up and you can pay probably a couple points for it.

• Options
    And the actual rules for Missile Launchers make it clear it's an optional upgrade.

"All missile launchers come with frag and krak missiles as standard, and some have the option to upgrade to include flakk missiles."

Frag and Krak missiles are standard issue, Flakk are an optional upgrade that no one currently has access to.

• Options
    those three things, pretty much.

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    Dayspring wrote: »
    Fliers and allies seem like they have the potential to be fairly broken, HOWEVER I'm gunna wait and see how it pans out before getting upset.

This is madness. You play 40K, you're supposed to fly off the handle the instant ANYTHING changes with the game and stomp around mad about it for at least 6-9 months and quit the game several times during that period and make comments about how much better everything was before in 3rd edition.

• Options
    Chrysis wrote: »

Top of page 81 under Special Rules
    "Flyers can choose whether or not to use the Skyfire special rule at the start of each Shooting phase."

Because there's no splitting fire for flyers (yet) there's no downside to their ability to shoot down other flyers.

Ah, gotcha. Was looking in the vehicle rules.

• Options

This is madness. You play 40K, you're supposed to fly off the handle the instant ANYTHING changes with the game and stomp around mad about it for at least 6-9 months and quit the game several times during that period and make comments about how much better everything was before in 3rd edition.

The only people who played 3E who honestly believe it was the best edition ever played chaos

• Options
    superhappypandasuperhappypanda Zug Island Sport Fishing SeattleRegistered User regular
    The lack of anti-air for xenos if you don't want to take your own fliers is a bit iffy

Are Nids without AA? I was hoping that we'd be able to use Pyrovores and Tyrannofexes for AA.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    And the actual rules for Missile Launchers make it clear it's an optional upgrade.

"All missile launchers come with frag and krak missiles as standard, and some have the option to upgrade to include flakk missiles."

Frag and Krak missiles are standard issue, Flakk are an optional upgrade that no one currently has access to.

Yes, I know what it says. I don't think that is their intention, though.

I generally do think the upgrade comment is a blanket statement meant for typhoon and cyclone missile launchers and the like.

I hope they FAQ it. Until then I think its a solid house rule. They seem more concerned with ruining iconic special weapons, though.

Matrias on
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Are Nids without AA? I was hoping that we'd be able to use Pyrovores and Tyrannofexes for AA.

Nid AA is Flyrants and Harpies. Harpies are bad and Flyrants are stupid expensive.

As usual nid MCs that cost 200+ are outshone by 130pt IG vehicles.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    altmann wrote: »
    Having to buy a fucking bastion is a cop out and frankly, reeks of GW wanting to sell models.

shock

gasp

surprise

horror
    Matrias wrote: »
    My thoughts, copy and pasted from another guys.
    The Missile Launchers heading in the Weaponry section outlines as a blanket Missile Launchers of all kinds, regardless of what the specific name is. This would include Cyclone Missile Launchers and Typhoon Missile launchers, for example.

Looking in the Weapons Appendix, it's clearly listed that Cyclones and Typhoons only get Frag and Krak standard, while stock Missile Launchers also get access to Flakk.

Until FAQs specifically say otherwise, no one has access to flak. Obviously you and your opponents can do whatever.
    --
    Generally speaking, unless I see something I completely didn't expect, I'm pretty settled on '6th ed is different, and might end up being fun, but it is not an actual improvement.'

SJ on
  • Options
    Here's some Space Wolves options that opened up for Thunder Wolf Lords. @altmann, I know you'll be interested.

In regards to pistols...
    "A pistol can be used as a close combat weapons. If this is done, use the profile given above - the strength, AP, and special rules of the pistol's shooting profile are ignored."

The profile of course CCW, S-User, AP minus, Type - Melee

And in regards to having multiple melee weapons (of which the pistol counts)...
    "If a model has more than one melee weapon, he must choose which one to attack with when he comes to strike blows"
    This is unlike 5th edition, where you had to attack with the special weapon no matter what...

Now here's the Space Wolves related payoff. In the Thundewolf mount rules, a Space Wolves character on a mount "has the rending special rule in close combat with any attack that does not use a special close combat weapon."

This means a SW player can choose to attack with rending attacks, even if he's equipped with a power weapon. Because rending has AP-2 and power weapons have AP-3, if you're in a pickle and really need to deal with terminators without having an axe or powerfist on hand, you can resort to rending attacks.

• Options
    SJSJ College. Forever.Registered User regular
    You also get the extra potential sweet sweet armor pen dice.

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    SJ wrote: »
    altmann wrote: »
    Having to buy a fucking bastion is a cop out and frankly, reeks of GW wanting to sell models.

shock

gasp

surprise

horror

It's like GW are a company or something.

• Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

Flyers are fucking stupid and completely fuck armies that won't see a release for another ten years that don't have a way to deal with them outside of allies.

Random charge distance is flatly bad, people who say otherwise are stupid and wrong.

Having to go back and remodel unit champs because whoops turns out I actually want swords rather than axes is dumb.

Pretty happy with everything else.

@-Loki- - yes. Since back when Tyranid Tim hung out with everyone on AOL. And even before. I'm guilty of once saying "I still want Rogue Trader. My group will probably ignore the new edition when it comes out." Gamers are always dumb.

@Salvation122... now we must tie our wrists together and knife fight in a warehouse. Random charge distance is the best thing GW has ever done. Ever.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    SJ wrote: »
    You also get the extra potential sweet sweet armor pen dice.

And the +1 bonus for AP-2 on the damage table.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, someone just pointed out the dumbest thing.

Page 124.
    "Likewise, if at the end of any game turn, one player has no models on the battlefield, his opponent automatically wins."

"I reserve my whole army, aka concede"

Um. How do Chaos Daemons deal with this?

makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    Hmm, canoness w/twin inferno pistols and jump pack, all bouncing about messing up tanks something fierce. Worth it?

...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Speculation time!

Reading the new special rules, it seems pretty evident they're trying to put an S6 and A6 cap on monstrous creatures, due to Smash being pretty integral to them beating AV14 in close combat now. That leaves the venerable old Carnifex in an odd spot, since it's always had a very high strength since this is the role it was designed for. Then I saw Armourbane - roll 2D6 for penetrating armour.

I'm thinking the 6th edition codex will see the first ever Carnifex with S6, and it'll be the only monstrous creature in the book game with Armourbane, letting it strike with more attacks than other MCs and still be able to beat AV14.
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Holy shit, someone just pointed out the dumbest thing.

Page 124.
    "Likewise, if at the end of any game turn, one player has no models on the battlefield, his opponent automatically wins."

"I reserve my whole army, aka concede"

Um. How do Chaos Daemons deal with this?

Because half of their army deep strikes on turn 1. There's never a full turn 1 where the Daemon player is without something to deploy.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Unless he gets really unlucky.

• Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    Or, if it wants to go for broke, halve its attacks and use Armorbane with increased STR. For some reason.

makosig.jpg
  • Options

Well, if every one of this units in his first turn wave mishaps, yeah, he's going to lose turn 1. I can't say I've heard of that happening.

• Options

Well, if every one of this units in his first turn wave mishaps, yeah, he's going to lose turn 1. I can't say I've heard of that happening.

Grey Knight Strike/Interceptor Squads. Although that's a whole different story.

• Options

Grey Knight Strike/Interceptor Squads. Although that's a whole different story.

That still worked in 5th edition. That's not being unlucky. In that situation, this rule was basically in effect last edition for daemons.

I can't see any way for a daemon player to lose every unit to a mishap unless intentionally placed to do so.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    Harlequins in 6th edition. So the FAQ says to replace the 2nd and 3rd sentences with HEY THEY HAVE STEALTH + SHROUDED YOU GUYS, on top of the range modification shenanigans.

However, this gets rid of the fact that the psychic power is always on. So does this mean that the Shadowseer has to actually cast it now?

EDIT: Nevermind. They're apparently Psyker Mastery Level 0, so it's always on.

So between the Dark Eldar and an allied Eldar force... I can potentially whip out 4 Harlequin units.

EDIT 2: And that's exactly what I did. Main force consists of a WWP Haemonculus on a Venom with a Wrack posse. Barely had enough points for a second Wrack unit (on foot somewhere). Eldar detachment has a 4 warlock Farseer Council all on Jetbikes with Singing Spears and a unit of 10 Pathfinders. Between both armies I have 4 full units of Harlequins armed with Kisses and led by Shadowseers. All of them come screaming out of the WWP.

Circus came to town, bitches. Though this honestly probably works better as an Eldar list with the DE force consisting of the Haemonculus with a SINGLE wrack venom + Harlequin Troupe and I can just take two smaller Pathfinder squads or something.

EDIT 3: Triple damn it. No. Dark Eldar list. Has to be that due to ally rules. If I want the funbox, I have to do it as Dark Eldar. Cut down on the Pathfinders to make room for two venoms, hopefully, and maybe fusion pistols on the Shadowseers. Allied Troupe walks onto the table. Problem solved.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    The only thing I've seen that has me a touch worried is Warp Lance and the lack of Tyranid units with Skyfire.

Simply put, nothing in the Tyranids disciplines can replace it. It's not bad now, but with a new codex, Zoanthropes will likely become regular psykers that draw from a discipline deck, losing the power. It's been a staple power for me, and every game my Zoanthropes pull their weight (one game they did most of the killing, dropping two dreadnoughts, two drop pods and some Space Marines with Warp Blast).

I know it's quite likely Tyranids will get their own discipline (if only because GW could sell more cards), but being random means I'll no longer be able to count on them for anti heavy tank duties. And short of a melee MC or a Tyrannofex, they're the only things that can do it.

As for Skyfire... I guess Tyranid players will just have to learn to ignore flyers? Doesn't bother me too much, since my friends don't seem to use them. Dark Eldar player hates the DE flyers, Space Marine players don't like the SM fliers, IG player plays foot Guard.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    Harlequins in 6th edition. So the FAQ says to replace the 2nd and 3rd sentences with HEY THEY HAVE STEALTH + SHROUDED YOU GUYS, on top of the range modification shenanigans.

However, this gets rid of the fact that the psychic power is always on. So does this mean that the Shadowseer has to actually cast it now?

So between the Dark Eldar and an allied Eldar force... I can potentially whip out 4 Harlequin units.

EDIT 2: And that's exactly what I did. Main force consists of a WWP Haemonculus on a Venom with a Wrack posse. Barely had enough points for a second Wrack unit (on foot somewhere). Eldar detachment has a 4 warlock Farseer Council all on Jetbikes with Singing Spears and a unit of 10 Pathfinders. Between both armies I have 4 full units of Harlequins armed with Kisses and led by Shadowseers. All of them come screaming out of the WWP.

Circus came to town, bitches. Though this honestly probably works better as an Eldar list with the DE force consisting of the Haemonculus with a SINGLE wrack venom + Harlequin Troupe and I can just take two smaller Pathfinder squads or something.

EDIT 3: Triple damn it. No. Dark Eldar list. Has to be that due to ally rules. If I want the funbox, I have to do it as Dark Eldar. Cut down on the Pathfinders to make room for two venoms, hopefully, and maybe fusion pistols on the Shadowseers. Allied Troupe walks onto the table. Problem solved.

Non-DE units can't come out of the WWP. I don't know how that works with the Harlequins as they technically come from both books.
    Also you can't assault from the portal, which is sad

My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    HellboreHellbore A bad, bad man Registered User regular

Non-DE units can't come out of the WWP. I don't know how that works with the Harlequins as they technically come from both books.
    Also you can't assault from the portal, which is sad

In that situation, I think you'd have to differentiate which FOC the harlequins are on. Allied Harlequins would not be able to use the portal, DE Harlequins would.

This discussion has been closed.