As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I liked the [chat] better than the book

• Options
    Solomaxwell6Solomaxwell6 Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »
    OK honest question. Is there actually an actual incest scene in ASoIAF? Or is it like, step-siblings or something? Is this the internet exaggerating or is it accurate?
    Not sure if I want to subject myself to that.

Not major spoilers, but just in case:
    The Targaryens, the noble house that used to rule Westeros, were really into incest, keeping the line pure and all that. Right at the beginning of the first book, the two surviving Targaryens have a thing going on (doesn't actually reach sex, IIRC, but I remember the brother got a little handsy with his unwilling 14 year old sister). Jaime and Cersei Lannister, twins, go full out with the sex. Cersei later starts sleeping with her cousin. You're treated to both the Targaryen and Lannisters pretty much right at the beginning of the first book.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    ohai, TCO

how you?

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    SniperGuy wrote: »
    Is a 7-800 dollar monthly student loan payment normal? That seems high. D:

What's the total value of the loan and the length of the repayment period?

nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I'd say that the movie version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is better than the book, though the book is still great.

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    it's not very fair to say he's perverted just because he writes about stuff in detail

like DK said, it's not intended to be erotic at all
    "Hurry," she was whispering now, "quickly, quickly, now, do it now, do me now. Jaime Jaime Jaime." Her hands helped guide him. "Yes," Cersei said as he thrust, "my brother, sweet brother, yes, like that, yes, I have you, you're home now, you're home now, you're home." She kissed his ear and stroked his short bristly hair. Jaime lost himself in her flesh. He could feel Cersei's heart beating in time with his own, and the wetness of blood and seed where they were joined.

This is not erotic?

More creepy than erotic.

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    OK honest question. Is there actually an actual incest scene in ASoIAF? Or is it like, step-siblings or something? Is this the internet exaggerating or is it accurate?

well, you know basically everything that happened in book 1?

I have never read book one, nor watched the series.

Haven't read the books. There's hells of brother-sister sex in the TV show.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    My first car cost less then a quarter of a hot dog.

All my first car cost me was the use of my grandmother's legs.

flintstones.jpg

Yabba, dabba doo?

• Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    I don't know about this car top carrier but it's install so hopefully it works!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    I'm just saying, I don't need more than a hint to understand what's going on.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

thpoilers from the show, haven't read the book
    The queen and her twin brother are p incestuos. It is the basis of several plot points, actually.

even more thpoilers (from the show)
    the twin brother tries to kill a kid who spotted them to cover it up, and another guy later finds out that hey, isn't the heir a bit too blonde to be the king's son

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    GRRM doesn't hold back. Sometimes this is a real positive. Other times it is a real negative.

Probably going to get slammed here but I find ASoIF to be great fantasy pulp with above average descriptions. It has a few amazing characters that you want to a follow with a lot of fluff and filler. The books could probably be 100 pages shorter each. But I enjoy them and wish he wrote them faster just so I can finish the damn story and he does die of a heart attack before then.

I am actually more invested in the Dresden series than ASoIF just because Butcher releases books in a more sensible amount of time.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I'd say that the movie version of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas is better than the book, though the book is still great.

I may be tempted to agree with this, although the two are strikingly similar. It's really a great adaptation, but not because it adds anything that's not there besides the visuals.

• Options
    yeah vanguard their whole deal is creepy as shit

which is like

the whole point

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

well, you know basically everything that happened in book 1?

I have never read book one, nor watched the series.

I got you mixed up with synd

basically, the incest that happens is the impetus for a whole bunch of conflicts that in turn create more conflict

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    GRRM doesn't hold back. Sometimes this is a real positive. Other times it is a real negative.

Probably going to get slammed here but I find ASoIF to be great fantasy pulp with above average descriptions. It has a few amazing characters that you want to a follow with a lot of fluff and filler. The books could probably be 100 pages shorter each. But I enjoy them and wish he wrote them faster just so I can finish the damn story and he does die of a heart attack before then.

I am actually more invested in the Dresden series than ASoIF just because Butcher releases books in a more sensible amount of time.

I agree with this, mostly. His descriptions can be good, but sometimes I think he gets lost in them. He crafts good characters that have razor-sharp dialogue.

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    god books are so boring

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular

About 60k and I don't know they won't let me change it.

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    god books are so boring

I'm pretty bored with the Bible, too.

• Options
    Kasyn wrote: »

I may be tempted to agree with this, although the two are strikingly similar. It's really a great adaptation, but not because it adds anything that's not there besides the visuals.

Yeah, they are VERY similar. I am definitely biased in that I saw the movie first and read the book.

Speaking of movie adaptations and Hunter S. Thompson. I loved the book The Rum Diaries but I never saw the film, how anyone see it? If so, how was it?

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yeah gooey down with books

maybe if they took books and gave them a drop

they could call it... bookstep

yeeeeessssssssss

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    I don't want to work right now

I want to play video games and go back to college and be with my friends and be a drain on society

• Options
    Abdhyius wrote: »

which is like

the whole point

I understand, but I don't need to actually hear their pillowtalk to understand that. "Incest is creepy" is a cultural assumption.

Vivid descriptions about how X fucked Y during her period on her mother's altar doesn't accomplish more than a hint would.

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    winky why are you shaking your booty

is this because you are DAREing

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular

My wife pays $400 a month, she had around $35k to start with, to be repaid over 15 years, so $7-800 a month for $60k sounds about right honestly, if the repayment period is the same.

nibXTE7.png
  • Options

That's pretty rough. My best friend had some terrible private loans for film school for a little more than that amount and his payments were about the same. About as bad as I've seen it.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Nah, this is pretty much spot-on.

Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    GRRM needs a cutthroat editor something fierce.

I have some rules about reading his books to make them more enjoyable, chief amongst them is: If a paragraph starts with a description of food, ends with a description of food, and at a glance mentions food in the middle, skip the entire paragraph. I swear I've not read most of some pages because of this rule.

• Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    Dresden Files is so much more interesting to me than A Song of Ice and Fire.

Also, way better pacing.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular

which is like

the whole point

I understand, but I don't need to actually hear their pillowtalk to understand that. "Incest is creepy" is a cultural assumption.

Vivid descriptions about how X fucked Y during her period on her mother's altar doesn't accomplish more than a hint would.

I think I would disagree

would brave new world have the same effect if the characters didn't treat all the debauchery and so on with enthusiasm

• Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

That seems pretty high, my stafford loan has I believe a 10 year repayment period so it'd be a pretty huge amount if I were making payments that large.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    My payments will be painful for my master loans. But also thanks to Obama they are capped based on my income and survivable. Also I have 0 private loans, all are federal.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    The thing that turned me off about ASOIAF was the stilted dialogue and the meandering description.

Opinions, man.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    so I has a job offer

they gave me a 12% increase in what they were initially offering based on my interviews

which is great because I really love this firm

tyrannus on
  • Options

I have some rules about reading his books to make them more enjoyable, chief amongst them is: If a paragraph starts with a description of food, ends with a description of food, and at a glance mentions food in the middle, skip the entire paragraph. I swear I've not read most of some pages because of this rule.

Yep. I don't care about the kind of broth used to make this soup, where the ingredients came from, and how it would be better with just a little bit of saltfish from the iron islands. They're eating soup.

• Options
    Hmm...got into the smite beta. Will set that up when I get home.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

Long pointless descriptions of food is a fantasy staple.

Like, seriously, this is a mainstay of Tolkien.

• Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    Clearly my decision to get an education degree was a terrible one.

• Options

which is like

the whole point

same thing can be applied to pretty much every description written.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

Do you hate Redwall

How much worse than hitler are you, on a scale of 1 to 10 hitlers

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

Long pointless descriptions of food is a fantasy staple.

Like, seriously, this is a mainstay of Tolkien.

GRRM manages to bore me in a way Tolkien never did. Also I don't really care if its a staple or not. The way GRRM does it and the frequency with which he does it makes it intolerable to me.

This discussion has been closed.