As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

I liked the [chat] better than the book

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Winky wrote: »
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    GRRM needs a cutthroat editor something fierce.

I have some rules about reading his books to make them more enjoyable, chief amongst them is: If a paragraph starts with a description of food, ends with a description of food, and at a glance mentions food in the middle, skip the entire paragraph. I swear I've not read most of some pages because of this rule.

Long pointless descriptions of food is a fantasy staple.

Like, seriously, this is a mainstay of Tolkien.

This does not make it good.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular

I have some rules about reading his books to make them more enjoyable, chief amongst them is: If a paragraph starts with a description of food, ends with a description of food, and at a glance mentions food in the middle, skip the entire paragraph. I swear I've not read most of some pages because of this rule.

GRRM manages to bore me in a way Tolkien never did. Also I don't really care if its a staple or not. The way GRRM does it and the frequency with which he does it makes it intolerable to me.

being a staple is, if anything, a negative

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

Do you hate Redwall

How much worse than hitler are you, on a scale of 1 to 10 hitlers

I've never read Redwall so I don't have much of an opinion on it.

I like Mouseguard? I understand that they are vaguely similar.

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    Vanguard wrote: »
    yeah vanguard their whole deal is creepy as shit

which is like

the whole point

I understand, but I don't need to actually hear their pillowtalk to understand that. "Incest is creepy" is a cultural assumption.

Vivid descriptions about how X fucked Y during her period on her mother's altar doesn't accomplish more than a hint would.

same thing can be applied to pretty much every description written.

exactly

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

which is like

the whole point

I understand, but I don't need to actually hear their pillowtalk to understand that. "Incest is creepy" is a cultural assumption.

Vivid descriptions about how X fucked Y during her period on her mother's altar doesn't accomplish more than a hint would.

The majority of people are bad writers, yes

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    My payments will be painful for my master loans. But also thanks to Obama they are capped based on my income and survivable. Also I have 0 private loans, all are federal.

thanks Obama

(no seriously, thanks bro)

• Options
    GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    yeah gooey down with books

maybe if they took books and gave them a drop

they could call it... bookstep

yeeeeessssssssss

my bookstep dj name is

GOOEY DECIMAL SYSTEM

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

which is like

the whole point

The this logical train's last stop is the tweet. Do you really want to find yourself there?

Get off now!

• Options
    tyrannus wrote: »
    so I has a job offer

they gave me a 12% increase in what they were initially offering based on my interviews

which is great because I really love this firm

this is the one we talked about or the houston one

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    gooey

i like it

i like it a lot

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

GRRM manages to bore me in a way Tolkien never did. Also I don't really care if its a staple or not. The way GRRM does it and the frequency with which he does it makes it intolerable to me.

being a staple is, if anything, a negative

Eh, not really. When you work within a genre you need to meet some genre expectations and betray some genre expectations. I just don't think the way that GRRM has elected to meet this genre expectation is well done. But there's nothing inherently wrong with meeting a genre expectation.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

which is like

the whole point

The orcs were bad.

The good guys killed them.

The end.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular

which is like

the whole point

The this logical train's last stop is the tweet. Do you really want to find yourself there?

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    Gooey wrote: »
    so I has a job offer

they gave me a 12% increase in what they were initially offering based on my interviews

the one we talked about

you are privy to insider knowledge

• Options

yeeeeessssssssss

my bookstep dj name is

GOOEY DECIMAL SYSTEM

I have been, in a fit of incredibly guilty pleasure, watching season 7 of America's Got Talent.

90% of all dance routines are done to dubstep, because DAT DROP is a great time to break out the serious moves.

Also, America, Fuck Yeah. That show is the awesome kind of patriotic and you're a goddamned commie if you disagree.

• Options

which is like

the whole point

The orcs were bad.

The end.

I enjoyed that more than any part of the Trilogy.

• Options
    gooey

i like it

i like it a lot

you can be

surrealitycheckoutyourlocallibrary

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    yyy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

which is like

the whole point

The orcs were bad.

The end.

Dat's racist.

Swamp Orcs 4 lyfe.

• Options
    so I has a job offer

the one we talked about

short TYR

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    spool, are you hating on twitter

because twitter fucking rules, and a good tweet is an amateur work of art in conserving meaning with maximum efficiency

behold:
    http://favstar.fm/users/ActualPerson084

• Options
    granny bashing

• Options

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

I am pulling the whistle chain over and over. I am getting off this terrible ride before twitterature is a thing that I know about. Fuck you I didn't even hear what you said.

Let me ooooooffffffff

• Options

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

or the norse saga. Shit is so sparsely written it becomes disorienting.

it'll go like, a page describing the winter Gunnlaug Ormstunge spent at some dude's place and the people who were there and what happened and maybe half of one conversation they had that was worth noting, and then it'll go like "and then seven years passed"

nothing of note happened in those seven years so we'll spend one sentence describing their passing.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

I am pulling the whistle chain over and over. I am getting off this terrible ride before twitterature is a thing that I know about. Fuck you I didn't even hear what you said.

Let me ooooooffffffff

It's too late! The disease is inside yoooouuuuuu

• Options
    so I has a job offer

the one we talked about

short TYR

UR ONE RUDE DUDE

• Options
    not like at the end or start of a chapter just in the middle of a page

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    so on saturday my fiancee and i wanted to go to this food truck that we've heard about that makes really good hot dogs

unfortunately the only way they update their location is twitter

neither of us have, or want twitter accounts

so it was like a mexican standoff to see who would make the twitter account

(we wound up calling her little brother who got on the tweets and twitters and told us where it was)

919UOwT.png
  • Options
    TehSlothTehSloth Hit Or Miss I Guess They Never Miss, HuhRegistered User regular

yeeeeessssssssss

my bookstep dj name is

GOOEY DECIMAL SYSTEM

I have been, in a fit of incredibly guilty pleasure, watching season 7 of America's Got Talent.

90% of all dance routines are done to dubstep, because DAT DROP is a great time to break out the serious moves.

Also, America, Fuck Yeah. That show is the awesome kind of patriotic and you're a goddamned commie if you disagree.

Sadly, I have also watched way more of America's Got Talent this season than I should admit to, although I promise I never watched the show before this season, I just moved and only had basic cable until saturday!

Last episode I watched was super disappointing though, almost everybody messed up or was really disappointing. At the end they were all like, ONLY 4 WILL MAKE IT THROUGH and I was like, I'm pretty sure there were only 4 that didn't completely bomb or bore me to death.

FC: 1993-7778-8872 PSN: TehSloth Xbox: SlothTeh
    twitch.tv/tehsloth
  • Options
    so on saturday my fiancee and i wanted to go to this food truck that we've heard about that makes really good hot dogs

(we wound up calling her little brother who got on the tweets and twitters and told us where it was)

Just make a dummy account silly!

Like the dummy facebook account we all have to signing up for free stuffs in games.

• Options
    edited July 2012
    so I has a job offer

the one we talked about

short TYR

UR ONE RUDE DUDE

i could have gone with ANUS for ur ticker bro

i pulled that punch 4 u

(lets play day z)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • Options
    LIST OF AVAILABLE WIRELESS NETWORKS: ARE_YOU_THERE_, COME_OUTSIDE, DON_T_BE_AFRAID, FRIENDS_HERE, NO_HIDING, SAFE_OUTSIDE, WHERE_ARE_YOU_

• Options

This seems like more work than just signing up. Twitter is awesome. You can take all those pages' news feeds you normally visit, and put them into a single Twitter feed. You never actually have to tweet.

• Options
    TTODewbackTTODewback Puts the drawl in ya'll I think I'm in HellRegistered User regular
    So I planned on power napping during lunch today. Then I get an email asking me to do something at 12:20.
    I hate mondaysssssss

Bless your heart.
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    the thing is that Tolkien's prose was, in general, much more beautiful than GRRM's

Tolkien had a really tight grasp of the prose conventions for telling fables while also having a flair for rich description of the fantastical. I mean:
    A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil. And the Dark Lord took it, and nursed it with fell meats, until it grew beyond the measure of all other things that fly; and he gave it to his servant to be his steed.

Fell meats. It is possible that there not a greater noun phrase in all of fantasy.

• Options
    so I has a job offer

the one we talked about

short TYR

UR ONE RUDE DUDE

i could have gone with ANUS for ur ticker bro

i pulled that punch 4 u

(lets play day z)
    i would just shoot you and take your beans

• Options
    KasynKasyn I'm not saying I don't like our chances. She called me the master.Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    spool, are you hating on twitter

because twitter fucking rules, and a good tweet is an amateur work of art in conserving meaning with maximum efficiency

behold:
    http://favstar.fm/users/ActualPerson084

These are pretty great.

My favorite so far?
    LIVE SINGLES IN YOUR AREA ARE BENDING LOW, THEIR JOINTS TWISTING OBSCENELY. THEY CRAWL FORWARD, A CLICKING PROCESSION OF SPASMODIC LIMBS.

• Options
    the thing is that Tolkien's prose was, in general, much more beautiful than GRRM's

Tolkien had a really tight grasp of the prose conventions for telling fables while also having a flair for rich description of the fantastical. I mean:
    A creature of an older world maybe it was, whose kind, lingering in forgotten mountains cold beneath the Moon, outstayed their day, and in hideous eyrie bred this last untimely brood, apt to evil. And the Dark Lord took it, and nursed it with fell meats, until it grew beyond the measure of all other things that fly; and he gave it to his servant to be his steed.

Fell meats. It is possible that there not a greater noun phrase in all of fantasy.

So you've pretty much convinced me that I desperately need to read those books again now that I'm not in Jr. High.

Because yeah, that shit is delicious.

• Options
    apropos of nothing: I can't say "Wolfire Games" in a way that becomes wolf fire

it's either wolf ire as in "this earned her the ire of the wolf"

or wol fire as in "The great fire in 768 burned Wol-upon-Kahst to the ground"

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

which is like

the whole point

Get off now!

twitterature is a thing

Let me ooooooffffffff

This is more than 140 characters, Spool

This discussion has been closed.