Options

I liked the [chat] better than the book

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    Arch wrote: »
    I think one of the saddest things is the new postdoc (and the one who just left) who staunchly refuse to goof off because they are "trying to grow up."

This involves things like refusing to come to a "silly hats party" because it was viewed as something undergraduates would do.

But both of them were only like three years older than everyone there? And it was all grad students/other post-docs.

Sometimes people need to overcompensate a bit for a little while. Like a drunk who goes completely sober before learning moderation. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

if a drunk means an alcoholic, they don't really ever learn moderation. It's not a thing they're able to do.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Elldren wrote: »
    yeah. "grow up" is childish

and as a statement, deliciously condescending and dismissive

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    I think one of the saddest things is the new postdoc (and the one who just left) who staunchly refuse to goof off because they are "trying to grow up."

This involves things like refusing to come to a "silly hats party" because it was viewed as something undergraduates would do.

But both of them were only like three years older than everyone there? And it was all grad students/other post-docs.

Sometimes people need to overcompensate a bit for a little while. Like a drunk who goes completely sober before learning moderation. It's not necessarily a bad thing.

if a drunk means an alcoholic, they don't really ever learn moderation. It's not a thing they're able to do.

You know it's a thing that some people believe that alcoholism is a copout for not learning moderation.

Personally I think a drunk came up with it

• Options
    ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    ronya wrote: »
    the "you haven't paid your taxes, so let's seize your house" seems v archaic to me actually

surely civilized government can find other more liquid assets to seize first

you might need national ID before things can get that systematized though

Income garnishments. Happens all the time, for all sorts of debts. Tax debts, child support, civil judgments.

If that household has zero income to garnish, then maybe the city could afford to put a hold on that $140 for a little while.

this is going very much against my instinct that houses constitute considerable wealth

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    if I had to throw out the collection/pile of donald duck and other such comics in my room because of redecorating or whatever

I might be inclined to go well time to grow up I guess

but I wouldn't mean it in a good way

I wish I had the space for all my things ever

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    MentalExerciseMentalExercise Indefenestrable Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Ludious wrote: »

You know it's a thing that some people believe that alcoholism is a copout for not learning moderation.

Personally I think a drunk came up with it

Some people are silly though.

MentalExercise on
    "More fish for Kunta!"

--LeVar Burton
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    46-Ross-Boom.gif

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    I'm learning how to use Git with a CMS

and I'm getting an erection

i've been using git solo. trying to get in the habit for when i find a public repo i feel i can contribute to meaningfully (or i do a decent job with a private project) but so far it's hard to care much when i'm basically doing a private repo for myself. nice to memorize all the commands, though.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

God, I hate that South Park episode on alcoholism.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    I have no problem with people getting rid of things. If you need cash and you have comics to sell and it means keeping a roof over your head, you are STUUUUPID for not selling those pieces of paper unless your dead father gave them to you.

But that condescending "Guess I gotta grow up and stop being a fucking kid" riles me up beyond believe. It conjures all kinds of icky images for me like parents telling you to grow up (never happened to me) or significant others saying shit like "Change your geek hobby or I'm leaving you motherfucker!" (never happened to me either, because I'd show them the fucking door)

I just hate condescension. I realize there's a slippery slope there. It's easy to excuse shit like wearing fedoras and and jean jackets to a formal dinner with that logic, but at the same time, if I am a functioning adult with a job and relationship don't you fucking judge me. Fuck you and fuck your kind, eat the darkest part of my asshole.

• Options
    _J__J_ Pedant Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Couscous wrote: »

There is a South Park about alcoholism?

I missed that one.

Which season?

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    _J_ wrote: »

I missed that one.

Which season?

Bloody Mary, ninth season.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(South_Park)

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    tumblr_m7anq06wBH1rsyc9mo1_500.jpg

poo
  • Options
    I have no problem with people getting rid of things. If you need cash and you have comics to sell and it means keeping a roof over your head, you are STUUUUPID for not selling those pieces of paper unless your dead father gave them to you.

But that condescending "Guess I gotta grow up and stop being a fucking kid" riles me up beyond believe. It conjures all kinds of icky images for me like parents telling you to grow up (never happened to me) or significant others saying shit like "Change your geek hobby or I'm leaving you motherfucker!" (never happened to me either, because I'd show them the fucking door)

I just hate condescension. I realize there's a slippery slope there. It's easy to excuse shit like wearing fedoras and and jean jackets to a formal dinner with that logic, but at the same time, if I am a functioning adult with a job and relationship don't you fucking judge me. Fuck you and fuck your kind, eat the darkest part of my asshole.

we need some context to decide if its condescending or not.

throwing out stuff you used to be interested in as a child, and calling that growing up, isn't in itself condescending to the people who still like that stuff. It just means you don't anymore.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    _J_ wrote: »

I missed that one.

Which season?

Bloody Mary, ninth season.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bloody_Mary_(South_Park)

Well, I know what I'm doing for the next half hour.
    Getting drunk!

Then I may watch the episode.

• Options
    america's political culture seems permanently frozen in some era before it became a heavily industrialized and urbanized welfare state

a society where the bureaucracy efficiently and promptly notifies you when you have a bill, and then extracts it from you in the gentlest way when you neglect to pay it, is necessarily a society that (1) knows where you are almost all the time (2) and stores a vast amount of knowledge about you and your habits

this "ten days notice, and pay up or we extract a huge punitive fee from you" is very much a product of a society where the only people who rack up relevant bills are those actively buying stuff from the state or are society's outcasts anyway. it is archaic in a society where almost everyone is going have a tax bill of some form

you guys don't even have ID cards. despite the de facto existence of widespread social security and driver's licenses, the illusion that you only form limited and constitutionally-circumscribed links to assorted state agencies is apparently too hard to give up.

why do so many people neglect to claim EITC or food stamps when they are eligible? But wait, why do they have to claim it to begin with?

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    :[

• Options
    speaking of hats I am watching boardwalk empire season 2

I would like one

mostly as a reason to buy the whole ensemble with suit and coat and etc etc

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    There's definitely a group of people who are not alcoholics who nevertheless should drink less.

Generally this group is called 'college students.'

• Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    pee pee poo

poo
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    alcoholic has a pretty broad definition, especially outside of a treatment clinic. lots of people have very destructive relationships with alcohol- relationships that are unhealthy and that need to be modified in drastic ways. if only the people who can't ever manage moderation are allowed to be called alcoholics, i welcome a more granular phrase for the other folks. 'alcohol abusers'? because alcoholics are that, also.

Organichu on
  • Options
    :[

What's wrong skippy?

• Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    alcoholic has a pretty broad definition, especially outside of a treatment clinic. lots of people have very destructive relationships with alcohol- relationships that are unhealthy and that need to be modified in drastic ways. if only the people who can't ever manage moderation are allowed to be called alcoholics, i welcome a more granular phrase for the other folks. 'alcohol abusers'? because alcoholics are that, also.

I think that it is not healthy to propagate the idea that there is an in between because then every alcoholic thinks they -are- an in between. Can't we just silently admit that maybe some people can learn better without filling alcoholics heads full of excuses and false hope?

• Options
    gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    There are still a bunch of old Animorphs books of mine at my parents' house.

gorillaSig.jpg
  • Options

someone who is a huge asshole when he gets drunk but hardly ever does it isn't an alcoholic, just someone who shouldn't drink

you don't have to be unable to have just a few and always drink until you pass out to be an alcoholic

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular

They're just afraid people will find out they're craaaazy uninteresting.

Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    C.S. Lewis wrote:
    Critics who treat adult as a term of approval, instead of as a merely descriptive term, cannot be adult themselves. To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence. And in childhood and adolescence they are, in moderation, healthy symptoms. Young things ought to want to grow. But to carry on into middle life or even into early manhood this concern about being adult is a mark of really arrested development. When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up.

• Options

I think that it is not healthy to propagate the idea that there is an in between because then every alcoholic thinks they -are- an in between. Can't we just silently admit that maybe some people can learn better without filling alcoholics heads full of excuses and false hope?

so what do you tell the people who have legitimate alcohol problems but who aren't incapable of moderate solutions?

• Options

someone who is a huge asshole when he gets drunk but hardly ever does it isn't an alcoholic, just someone who shouldn't drink

you don't have to be unable to have just a few and always drink until you pass out to be an alcoholic

can you rephrase the last sentence

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Things are happening on OKC that I did not expect.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    Being childish isn't owning comic books.

It's not knowing how to do things and also being dumb.

And posting on video game forums, of course.

• Options
    Greeper wrote: »
    There's definitely a group of people who are not alcoholics who nevertheless should drink less.

I am starting college soon.

The traditional start is the Fadder week

which is a week straight - with occasional sleep the only breaks - of heavy drinking

I'm scared

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

High functioning alcoholics?

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012

I don't actually agree with that.

I think if a person makes his own judgment that drinking alcohol is unsafe for him, I will respect that decision.

However, I think the pervasive message common among recovery communities that it is impossible for an alcoholic to learn moderation is actually very damaging. It's one thing to make a personal decision not to drink; it's another thing entirely to have people in positions of authority tell you that it is impossible for you to not be an addict.

In any case, I chose the word 'drunk' over 'alcoholic' because I was hoping to sidestep that attitude.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options

even if you're able to drink in moderation one night, instead of drinking until you pass out, you can still be an alcoholic.

Lots of alcoholics are that way. They don't get shitfaced, but they drink very, very often.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options

which is a week straight - with occasional sleep the only breaks - of heavy drinking

I'm scared

...don't do that?

• Options

even if you're able to drink in moderation one night, instead of drinking until you pass out, you can still be an alcoholic.

Lots of alcoholics are that way. They don't get shitfaced, but they drink very, very often.

i'm not sure what your point is. or i mean, i see what you're saying but it seemed like you were trying to contradict me.

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Had the best HoN game where two in my team played mid and abandoned bot lane. A huge deal of whining went on and we nearly lost our base several times. People whined Y U FARM a lot too.

Turned it around myself, bought a 250 damage item and killed the entire team and their base personally. And I said Y I FARM YO. So satisfying!

PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    random trivia:

back in 2006 singapore had a general election. utterly coincidentally, I'm sure, the ruling regime announced fiscal stimulus that was basically a lot of cash handouts graded progressively by house size and income, electronically deposited into bank accounts

when the day came and the cash got sent out, everyone found out that any and all accumulated traffic fines, library late fees, etc. had all been deducted beforehand

I remember noting to a fellow student that the deduction might have been good civil policy, but it wasn't very good Keynesian stimulus

aRkpc.gif
  • Options
    moniker wrote: »

I'm scared

...don't do that?

I have a very strong respect for tradition.

ftOqU21.png
This discussion has been closed.