Options

Check disc integrity (PS1, dreamcast) without having to play games

Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
edited July 2012 in Help / Advice Forum
Google told me about a $70 app on Windows to do this (CD/DVD Diagnostic) but- I'm trying to re-sell games and $70 would kill my profits. Is there anything free or less that I can count on to get the job done and confirm these discs will play (they have some light scratches). Bonus points if it's Mac and I don't have to whip out the laptop!

Sharp10r on

• Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    Yeah, buy a dreamcast or PS1.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    hmmm, you could use your pc to make an image of the disc, generate a checksum, then see if you can what the checksum should be for that game. You'd need to make sure it was the right edition/printing/region and all that. I'm not sure if there's any central repository of that kind of information. I know some of the not-legit ways to get games often put checksums so you can verify it downloaded correctly or was not modified.

Edit: Furthermore the image creation process would probably reveal a lot of potential errors in and of itself.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    hmmm, you could use your pc to make an image of the disc, generate a checksum, then see if you can what the checksum should be for that game. You'd need to make sure it was the right edition/printing/region and all that. I'm not sure if there's any central repository of that kind of information. I know some of the not-legit ways to get games often put checksums so you can verify it downloaded correctly or was not modified.

Edit: Furthermore the image creation process would probably reveal a lot of potential errors in and of itself.

Perfect! Thank you.