Options

US Congressional Elections 2012: Scott Brown, Diviner of Ancestry!

• Options
    AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    Tomanta wrote: »
    Looks like the Dem's nominee from Texas is Paul Sadler. His runoff opponent is a retired teacher who isn't notable enough to have a wikipedia page.

I'm slightly surprised that the Dems are just not competing at all in the race. They were never likely to win, but there's a chance the state might be competitive in the future so they should be working on at least keeping the party alive.

These are the non-Howard Dean run Dems. They're pretty dumb.

I don't think they even bothered to find a particularly strong challenger for Paul fucking Ryan.

Actually, they did (guy's a local business owner with decent visibility in the region), but of course the toolbox labeled DCCC has only provided basic support.

XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    Looks like the Dem's nominee from Texas is Paul Sadler. His runoff opponent is a retired teacher who isn't notable enough to have a wikipedia page.

I'm slightly surprised that the Dems are just not competing at all in the race. They were never likely to win, but there's a chance the state might be competitive in the future so they should be working on at least keeping the party alive.

I don't think they even bothered to find a particularly strong challenger for Paul fucking Ryan.

Actually, they did (guy's a local business owner with decent visibility in the region), but of course the toolbox labeled DCCC has only provided basic support.

I thought that was less a party recruitment effort and more a pretty awesome dude who told Ryan to fuck off.

Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options

I thought that was less a party recruitment effort and more a pretty awesome dude who told Ryan to fuck off.

The local party asked him to run, IIRC.

• Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    So disappointed about Cruz. And, not living in state Sen. Wentworth's district, and not keeping up on his race, (mildly) surprised that he lost. He was one of the few Republicans we had that would break from the pack.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    In Texas, Moderate Lt. Governor David Dewhurst lost the primary run-off to Tea Party candidate Ted Cruz. Dewhurst was backed by Rick Perry, while Cruz was backed by noted luminaries such as Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and Rick Santorum. Ted Cruz, who served as Texas' Solicitor General, has never held elected office.

While much of Dewhurst's spending was from his personal largess, Cruz gained much of his funding through private donations and SuperPAC donations from outside the state.

When I am God Emperor of the United States, my first act will be to prohibit out-of-state money from being spent on Congressional and Senate races.

My second act will be to realize that prohibiting such would be kind of irrelevant since I'm God Emperor.

• Options
    Interestingly, PPP has the Arizona Senate race tied. The Dems nominated a former surgeon general who seems pretty awesome. And Jeff Flake is running against him, so the GOP is bringing the crazy.

• Options
    Interestingly, PPP has the Arizona Senate race tied. The Dems nominated a former surgeon general who seems pretty awesome. And Jeff Flake is running against him, so the GOP is bringing the crazy.

We're talking about a man who performed emergency treatment on a man who had been threatening his family, because it was the right thing to do.

Awesome does not begin to describe him. He is the American Dream incarnate.

And yet the fuckers in AZ will vote against him because of his high melanin count.

• Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    The fact that a Dem is polling even in Arizona is fantastic. Way better than I could have hoped for.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular

There is no chance that Texas will be competitive in the future, and thinking that is either shortsighted or slightly racist.

Hispanics are not automatic D votes, people, and even though I appreciate that taking them for granted helps GOP recruiting, you should probably stop doing it if you want to win elections.

• Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    Not automatic, but they certainly lean heavily our way (except for Cubans). Which is primarily the GOP's work, in pandering to the xenophobic base. Oh, and Texas is trending purple, the question is the speed.

• Options
    TenekTenek Registered User regular
    spool32 wrote: »

There is no chance that Texas will be competitive in the future, and thinking that is either shortsighted or slightly racist.

Hispanics are not automatic D votes, people, and even though I appreciate that taking them for granted helps GOP recruiting, you should probably stop doing it if you want to win elections.

Blacks aren't automatic D votes either but it's ridiculous to pretend they're not more inclined to vote for Democrats than Republicans. Or are you taking for granted that Hispanics are going to vote Republican after McCain got a whopping 35% support from them?

• Options
    I half suspect the purpling of Texas is people from blue places moving here!

Don't believe it is a trend that will hold.

Basically, what I'm saying is stop moving to Texas, liberals. You're going to fuck up a good thing!

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

Blacks aren't automatic D votes either but it's ridiculous to pretend they're not more inclined to vote for Democrats than Republicans. Or are you taking for granted that Hispanics are going to vote Republican after McCain got a whopping 35% support from them?

Look hispanics will vote for the GOP because they know tax breaks for rich white guys benefit them. I mean those guys then turn around and hire them to cut their lawn right?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Basically, what I'm saying is stop moving to Texas, liberals. You're going to fuck up a good thing!

That's incorrect.

The influx of people might be altering the trend slightly, but the GOP continues to piss on the hispanic vote. That does not make then a guaranteed voting block for the Democrats because they're also fairly reliable social conservatives and many of them buy into the Job Creator narrative the GOP pushes as they are small business owners, but the GOP is shooting themselves in the foot with their immigration policy.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

You're screwed. Anywhere you build a paradise the liberals will move in and take over.

Anyways, Texas' demographic projections:
    http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/tif/population.html
    http://idserportal.utsa.edu/sdc/projections/

indicate a massive increase in the hispanic:non-hispanic population ratio, and based on current voting trends that will be enough to purplefy the state in some number of years (4, 8, 12, ?). Obviously this depends on current voting trends continuing... which means that if anything is going to break the trend, it will have to be the GOP winning a larger portion of the Hispanic vote. So yes, if the Republicans change to accommodate the people they want to vote for them, Texas can stay red, Otherwise, it won't.

• Options

That's incorrect.

The influx of people might be altering the trend slightly, but the GOP continues to piss on the hispanic vote. That does not make then a guaranteed voting block for the Democrats because they're also fairly reliable social conservatives and many of them buy into the Job Creator narrative the GOP pushes as they are small business owners, but the GOP is shooting themselves in the foot with their immigration policy.

African Americans as a bloc are reliably socially conservative. They also despise the GOP utterly.

Want to guess why?

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular

That's incorrect.

African Americans as a bloc are reliably socially conservative. They also despise the GOP utterly.

Want to guess why?

They don't pay taxes?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    edit: figure'd it out.

Lilnoobs on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    In Texas, Moderate Lt. Governor David Dewhurst lost the primary run-off to Tea Party candidate Ted Cruz. Dewhurst was backed by Rick Perry, while Cruz was backed by noted luminaries such as Glenn Beck, Sarah Palin, and Rick Santorum. Ted Cruz, who served as Texas' Solicitor General, has never held elected office.

While much of Dewhurst's spending was from his personal largess, Cruz gained much of his funding through private donations and SuperPAC donations from outside the state.

When I am God Emperor of the United States, my first act will be to prohibit out-of-state money from being spent on Congressional and Senate races.

My second act will be to realize that prohibiting such would be kind of irrelevant since I'm God Emperor.

You would still need subordinates to do all the work. Electing them is as good a way as any to put them in place.

...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

That's incorrect.

Want to guess why?

It's not going away any time soon, either. Most Jewish families I know still won't drive Fords.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ^^ That would be my father.

Refuses to buy a Ford. or even contemplate driving Fords.

my dad's got some very... interesting habits.

• Options

Except that his choosing not to drive a Ford isn't all that surprising. I'll bet he'd never drive a VW, especially not a Beetle.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    Bagginses wrote: »

That's incorrect.

Want to guess why?

It's not going away any time soon, either. Most Jewish families I know still won't drive Fords.

????

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    my grandfather won't drive a japanese or german car.

• Options
    shryke wrote: »
    Bagginses wrote: »

That's incorrect.

Want to guess why?

????
    Henry was big into anti-Semitism and the Third Reich. Even received an Iron Cross.

• Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Yeah, Texas is going to continue trending purple as long as the GOP keeps shitting on minorities that aren't Cuban. The going out of business sale for the baby boomers policy isn't doing them any favors either.

Actually, I'm wondering how much of pass the media is going to give the tea party this time around. The self-serving fuckers love their ratings but even they probably feel threatened by the tea party. If given the opportunity the tea party would infringe on the rights of the press and trying to eliminate the gov't probably doesn't serve the interest of most media outlets either. One of the ironies we'll run into is if the GOP manages to take the Senate (they'd probably lose the house), they'd still be unable to get anything done because of the tea party.

I'm glad to hear that the dem candidate in AZ is tied with the GOP guy in the polls. That would be pretty awesome if he won.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Bullshit, the tea party was created almost whole cloth by the media.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    And a generous donation from Americans for Prosperity

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    I was actually getting nervous with the way Cruz was getting described in some of the articles about him. Charismatic, intelligent, well-spoken... and then, I read the happiest sentence ever:

"Born in Calgary, Alberta, Canada..."

Ahahahahahahahahahahah. Suck it, Republicans. He can never be President or VP. And hopefully, he breathes a little more life into the teabagging movement.

• Options
    The entire reason he got nominated was because he's young(ish) and Latino and the geniuses in the GOP think that will get them shares of those votes.

• Options
    BagginsesBagginses __BANNED USERS regular

Except that his choosing not to drive a Ford isn't all that surprising. I'll bet he'd never drive a VW, especially not a Beetle.

It seems like VW is more acceptable around here. It may have something to do with the postwar British takover, or that they've owned up to their history instead of hoping that everyone forgets about the issue like Ford has (this is why Grant, who worked very hard to earn the Jewish people's forgiveness during his presidency, isn't remembered like Jackson).

• Options
    It's really too bad Grant's administration was so corrupt. He was a good dude, for the most part, just a bad administrator.

• Options
    Tenek wrote: »

You're screwed. Anywhere you build a paradise the liberals will move in and take over.

Anyways, Texas' demographic projections:
    http://www.window.state.tx.us/specialrpt/tif/population.html
    http://idserportal.utsa.edu/sdc/projections/

indicate a massive increase in the hispanic:non-hispanic population ratio, and based on current voting trends that will be enough to purplefy the state in some number of years (4, 8, 12, ?). Obviously this depends on current voting trends continuing... which means that if anything is going to break the trend, it will have to be the GOP winning a larger portion of the Hispanic vote. So yes, if the Republicans change to accommodate the people they want to vote for them, Texas can stay red, Otherwise, it won't.

I'd like to walk this back slightly, taking into account Stein's Law. Based on current demographic and voting trends, the Democrats are going to end up with an unstoppable voter base and dominate the country forever. So the parties will necessarily realign themselves to allow for a balanced government. (Where Texas ends up in that future may be up for debate, though.)

• Options
    FreedomWorks is actually the primary creator of the Teabaggers.

Dick Armey and the usual suspects.

• Options
    psyck0psyck0 Registered User regular

I have to believe that you are being facetious when you suggest that liberals could possibly make a state which removed critical thinking teaching from its curriculum over the fear that it might encourage students to question what teachers and parents tell them, worse.

Play Smash Bros 3DS with me! 4399-1034-5444
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    psyck0 wrote: »

I have to believe that you are being facetious when you suggest that liberals could possibly make a state which removed critical thinking teaching from its curriculum over the fear that it might encourage students to question what teachers and parents tell them, worse.

The "state" did not do that. The stupid and pointless Texas Republican party platform states opposition to some educational programs (HOTS) that they believe are bad because the platform writers are dumb and have no accountability.

The state legislature isn't even in session, won't be until the end of next year, and if it were, it would have only minimal ability to make any change to curriculum because that power is devolved in large part to the individual district school boards and to the administrations running the robust, nationally acclaimed charter schools here.

But yeah, if progressives got enough power to destroy the charter schools (as they tried to do in the last legislative session), they would certainly make Texas worse.

spool32 on
  • Options

The "state" did not do that.
    Yet.

It's just in the platform of the party running the state.

• Options
    Thanatos wrote: »

Yet.

yawn. Obama hasn't taken our guns yet either. He's just running the nation and the leader of the party that wants to.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular

Yet.

yawn. Obama hasn't taken our guns yet either. He's just running the nation and the leader of the party that wants to.

Bullshit. Obama showed absolutely no inclination to take away guns (in fact, he increased gun rights), bar his speech on Aurora, which was followed by absolutely 0 legislative action. That's a huge difference.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular

Yet.

Yes, those are the same! An actual position in a state party platform and a right wing strawman! You haz defeeted him!

Lh96QHG.png
This discussion has been closed.