As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

This is the old MechWarrior Online Thread

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    The game is much better with the mouse, because your arms aim separate from your center reticule - it at first felt strange but I feel more like a mech pilot than in previous games because of the aiming precision.

The game is good, but it's not feature complete(most pilot skills, ECM and other modules, balancing teams, mech builds in game), and crucially for me there's no campaign feature yet - the game won't have legs for me without overarching goals so I'm not spending $ until those features are in.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    LowlanderLowlander Registered User regular
    kaliyama wrote: »
    The game is much better with the mouse, because your arms aim separate from your center reticule - it at first felt strange but I feel more like a mech pilot than in previous games because of the aiming precision.

The game is good, but it's not feature complete(most pilot skills, ECM and other modules, balancing teams, mech builds in game), and crucially for me there's no campaign feature yet - the game won't have legs for me without overarching goals so I'm not spending $ until those features are in.

I hate to break it to you, but this is going to be an online only PvP game. There isn't going to be a campaign.

While I liked doing the campaigns in earlier games, it almost seems irrelevant in a day and age when you could easily put humans in the cockpits of the other mechs.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    Lowlander wrote: »
    kaliyama wrote: »

I hate to break it to you, but this is going to be an online only PvP game. There isn't going to be a campaign.

While I liked doing the campaigns in earlier games, it almost seems irrelevant in a day and age when you could easily put humans in the cockpits of the other mechs.
    No, I think he means territory control and other larger metagame portions, like Battletech 3025 (where victories in battle allowed your house to control more planets on the galaxy grid). If it's just deathmatching, I don't think I'll spend much time on this game, either.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Since it seems like they're cribbing WoT pretty heavily, I imagine that territory control will just be deathmatches on a set map for each planet that is controllable. That is just supposition though, so they could have something more interesting planned. I feel it's the great downfall of WoT that their 'clan wars' is pretty dull.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Did amazing with a Jenner today. Constantly harassed and drew enemy 'Mechs on chases while my sometimes weaker in tonnage teams focused on the remainder. It was fantastic.

Final game of the day before I left, enemy team was mostly heavies and assaults. My team was slightly lighter, mediums / heavies / assaults. And my sole Jenner.

I crippled an enemy Centurion (blew his legs to pieces) and ran away. I then dashed in and killed an enemy Atlas that my scanner said had a weak center torso. Ran away. Then came back again..an enemy Atlas was dancing with one of our Awesome's. I stuck on his rear and killed him, blowing his rear center torso apart with my pulse lasers. As I landed the killing blow, SOMETHING hard hit me and destroyed my left torso (and with it two of my lasers). So, I ran away.

The enemy team was killing ours as well, though, so it turned into two of them left (Atlas and an Awesome) vs myself and I dunno what we had left. I ran and capped the flag and we won.

Jenner is awesome.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    WoT does destruction just fine. The building destruction is a little binary, but they do tree destruction nearly perfectly. I don't think it's nearly as hard as you're making it out to be. It's not like WoT is some revolutionary groundbreaking game even.
    Let's be fair here though, it's not like there's a lot of shit to render when your game is about tanks. They have a lot of wiggle room to put in touches like building destruction and craters and what not in that engine. I'm not saying it'll never be in MWO, but it's definitely very, VERY low priority atm. Knocking down trees should be fairly easy to put in though.

All destruction in WoT is pretty simple - if a big enough impact hits the object (tank runs into it, or a shell hits it), it switches to its destroyed state with an animation. Trees fall more or less in the direction you hit them. That's... about it. It's very, very simple, but works fairly well. Hell, only the desert maps have a lot of destroyable structures, but they're segmented as "separate", so if you ram the middle of a long adobe building, that square chunk goes down.

It's very, very basic, just done fairly well.

Well World of Tanks did it this way" does not automatically mean it would be appropriate for MWO. In a game as pretty and detailed as this one, having a very simplistic destroyed state animations would be kinda lame. Once again, two different games, two different visual feels, etc. I'm not arguing against having destruction, I'm just saying that this isn't as simple as putting in a MW4 grade destroyed state building and calling it a day.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    KiTAKiTA Registered User regular
    Jenner sounds pretty good, heh. Wonder how they're going to handle the Raven.

• Options
    KiTA wrote: »

I may be the only one in the world that wants a Locust. IIRC it was your starting mech in MW1. I used to run endgame with a lance of 3 assault mechs and me in a Locust running up ahead and legging all the mechs for salvage while the assault mechs distracted them. Of course the AI wasn't spectacular at the time, so it was pretty easy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012

I may be the only one in the world that wants a Locust. IIRC it was your starting mech in MW1. I used to run endgame with a lance of 3 assault mechs and me in a Locust running up ahead and legging all the mechs for salvage while the assault mechs distracted them. Of course the AI wasn't spectacular at the time, so it was pretty easy.

Oh god, yes, same here. You could slap into the back of a Battlemaster and shoot at it's back until it was critical, then run away and shoot 1-2 more times. The Battlemaster couldn't do anything.

But I believe all the MW1 mechs are Unseen, aren't they? But then again, I thought the Jenner was an unseen, too.

Spider or perhaps Commando could do something similar, but I imagine just dry-humping another player wouldn't work like it did in MW1.

KiTA on
  • Options
    BonepartBonepart Registered User regular
    Ok I have to ask. What is all this talk of the "Unseen"?

XBL Gamertag: Ipori
  • Options
    Bonepart wrote: »

The way I understand it, the Unseen are mechs that FASA licensed from a few Japanese anime companies, and over the past 20 years or so the rights have become... complicated. FASA could talk about these mechs, could get rules about them, but the art assets were banned. So you couldn't see them -- they were unseen.

I always heard a major part of the problem was the people that slapped together the frankenanime, Robotech, owning some of the rights and generally being hard to work with.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Unseen

Also, from the MW Wiki:
    http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Mackie
    Developed by the Terran Hegemony in the 25th century, the Mackie was the first true BattleMech. Based on advanced technology that the Hegemony Armed Forces (HAF) had been developing for decades under Director-General Jacob Cameron, the Mackie was the ultimate manifestation of Hegemony military might. The Mackie’s first combat trial was on February 5, 2439, outside of Yakima, Terra. The pilot, Colonel Charles Kincaid, utterly obliterated his test targets, four remote-control Merkava heavy tanks.[2]

That's right guys, the first BattleMech was tested outside of my home town, Yakima, WA, Terra. :D

• Options
    Ah, interesting. I always wondered why some of them looked like they came from Macross :)

• Options

The Unseen were mechs that were directly lifted from other sources like Robotech. Things like Destroids, Zentradi Pods, and I think a Veritech or two were directly copied and renamed among other IPs. This sparked off a very understandable lawsuit that made it so that those mechs could never actually be shown. Hence, "The Unseen."

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Oh man I hope they have Warhammers and Riflemen in this. My two favorite designs. I have toys of them somewhere from that period of my childhood when they put out Battletech and ExoSquad toys.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    Since it seems like they're cribbing WoT pretty heavily, I imagine that territory control will just be deathmatches on a set map for each planet that is controllable. That is just supposition though, so they could have something more interesting planned. I feel it's the great downfall of WoT that their 'clan wars' is pretty dull.

If you look at the website and forums you'll see that their planned features are more robust than that. The issue is whether they successfully implement them, which is what I'm waiting on.

fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    Well, shit. Got a declined message when trying to pay for the $120 founder's thing. I had transferred $125 into that debit card, so I went to transfer another $10 or so just in case, and discovered:

08/04/2012 PLAYSPAN ULTIMATEPAY FOSTER CITY CA (PENDING) 120.00 .00

So the silly geese over at the billing system they go through have put a hold on the money, but didn't actually take it. Which is preventing me from trying again, cause my bank thinks I have $5 left in that card, not $125. Bleh.

• Options
    Yeah, their system acted goosey when I tried to buy mine, so my 2nd attempt was through paypal

• Options
    Yeah, their system acted goosey when I tried to buy mine, so my 2nd attempt was through paypal

My second attempt shall be, provided my bank releases the funds before the 7th.

• Options
    The first time I did it I put in my CC and unchecked 'save this card'. When I hit submit it just sat there and reset the form, including the checkbox

• Options
    The first time I did it I put in my CC and unchecked 'save this card'. When I hit submit it just sat there and reset the form, including the checkbox

Mine actually said that it was declined. I put in my current addy instead of my old home address, which might have been what caused it, but it's a moot point -- the funds are locked up either way.

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

The Unseen were mechs that were directly lifted from other sources like Robotech. Things like Destroids, Zentradi Pods, and I think a Veritech or two were directly copied and renamed among other IPs. This sparked off a very understandable lawsuit that made it so that those mechs could never actually be shown. Hence, "The Unseen."
    From what I understand it was that the Japanese company licensed the toy rights out to some company who then licensed it out to harmony gold. In the meantime FASA made another deal with the japanese company to use (some of) the unseen, thinking it was under a different kind of rights. But apparently those toy rights were for exclusive rights to all use of the image in the US or something like that

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    And they need to just get those things redesigned already so we can stop calling them Unseen and just have them. The guy doing the mech redesigns for MWO is plenty talented enough to come up with completely new designs for the Unseen while still making them perfectly identifiable. I know we've got a couple of redesign images for the Marauder and Warhammer around here somewhere that were okay, but those were just rough redesigns and nothing like the immensely nice ones for MWO.

• Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    I'm loving this Atlas I made up. PPC and Gauss, plus 3 SRM-6. Biggest problem is it seems like I'm getting on teams with absolutely zero cohesion, and everyone goes running off in 5 different directions when the game starts. WTB voice chat with lancemates?

• Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    And they need to just get those things redesigned already so we can stop calling them Unseen and just have them.

Well, for tabletop BattleTech they did, with the Project Phoenix redesigns. Or so everybody thought.

• Options
    Gaslight wrote: »
    And they need to just get those things redesigned already so we can stop calling them Unseen and just have them.

Well, for tabletop BattleTech they did, with the Project Phoenix redesigns. Or so everybody thought.

What happened with that? I read they had to pull it because Harmony Gold threatened them or somesuch?

• Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular

Beyond the AI problem, MW1 had a really high rate of fire for machine guns but didn't decrease the damage to match. Two MGs were horrifically effective at shredding Battlemaster legs. I think most people played the same way (I know I did), because taking the Locust meant that you weren't walking forever just to get into the fight.

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    All I remember about MW1 is my friend taking a Marauder into every fight and shooting people's heads off at max range.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    I did that too.

Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

Beyond the AI problem, MW1 had a really high rate of fire for machine guns but didn't decrease the damage to match. Two MGs were horrifically effective at shredding Battlemaster legs. I think most people played the same way (I know I did), because taking the Locust meant that you weren't walking forever just to get into the fight.

I remember that in MW2 and MW4:Mercs, you could make loadouts that were just all machine guns (or MG arrays, since MW4 was later in the timeline). Short range, but you'd slice anything apart in seconds.

I wonder how well MGs will end up fitting into MWO. Sure, they're a part of the tabletop, but they were basically strictly for use against infantry and soft targets; they do basically nothing against mechs. Maybe a crit-seeking role for when crits get implemented? Wouldn't be a bad use of two tons for a couple MGs and ammo if you could use those to get fast crits on a de-armored section. Even when the armor is gone, a mech can have quite a bit of internal durability; could be good to let people do things like shoot for crits on engine sections, ammo, or weapons by using all those low-damage, high fire-rate MGs without having to destroy all that internal armor as well.

• Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    That's right guys, the first BattleMech was tested outside of my home town, Yakima, WA, Terra.
    Well if you're going to test a weapons platform you might as well test it where nothing of value is there to be lost.

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    THREAD IS BROKEN

See here for more information:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165147/so-every-post-ive-made-on-the-boards-over-the-last-nine-years-have-disappeared

Before a few minutes ago you could still access the latest page via:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/160659/mechwarrior-online-thread-is-broken-it-is-the-end-times-pray-to-blake-for-salvation/p73

However, this no longer works. Someone needs to make a new thread.

That's right guys, the first BattleMech was tested outside of my home town, Yakima, WA, Terra.
    Well if you're going to test a weapons platform you might as well test it where nothing of value is there to be lost.

Hey now, I'll have you know the first trees to get knocked down by a BattleMech in history were apple trees I used to throw rocks at, thank you very much.

KiTA on
  • Options
    Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular

Hey now, I'll have you know the first trees to get knocked down by a BattleMech in history were apple trees I used to throw rocks at, thank you very much.

Yeah there's actually a better picture of the Mackie.
    091211093643-large.jpg

wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • Options

Yeah there's actually a better picture of the Mackie.
    091211093643-large.jpg

Hah. IndustrialMechs were such an interesting idea. Pity the Dark Ages thing was such a mess.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    It appears the thread has broken.

EDIT: Or not? We did just have a page of posts get eaten, right?

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    It appears the thread has broken.

EDIT: Or not? We did just have a page of posts get eaten, right?

These last few posts are on page 73, but the thread navigation thing only thinks the thread goes up to 72. So no clue.

• Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    This thread should get locked and a new one made.

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Ripping off intellectual property has always been par for the course.
    Veritech fighter (Macross)
    6TFva.gif

Jetfire (Transformers)
    QQkTF.jpg

Stinger (Battletech)
    san4F.jpg

When I was a kid I found that Transformer in some of my stepbrother's old stuff. I was able to kind of half-transform it to look like a Veritech in 'Guardian' (half-jet half-robot) mode :3

• Options
    Cabezone wrote: »
    This thread should get locked and a new one made.

It won't help, this is a known issue:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/165150/multiple-threads-no-longer-displaying-new-posts

• Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    Oh Blake, deliver salvation unto this thread.

• Options
    Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    Orogogus wrote: »

I remember that in MW2 and MW4:Mercs, you could make loadouts that were just all machine guns (or MG arrays, since MW4 was later in the timeline). Short range, but you'd slice anything apart in seconds.

I wonder how well MGs will end up fitting into MWO. Sure, they're a part of the tabletop, but they were basically strictly for use against infantry and soft targets; they do basically nothing against mechs. Maybe a crit-seeking role for when crits get implemented? Wouldn't be a bad use of two tons for a couple MGs and ammo if you could use those to get fast crits on a de-armored section. Even when the armor is gone, a mech can have quite a bit of internal durability; could be good to let people do things like shoot for crits on engine sections, ammo, or weapons by using all those low-damage, high fire-rate MGs without having to destroy all that internal armor as well.

As of now, MGs are junk, which they should be.

"Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."