As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Employee Lounge - "No, ma'am, we do not have Wiis hiding out back"

1616263646567»

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Esh wrote: »
    Invisible wrote: »
    God damn, are you guys still arguing with Esh? Have you not noticed it's pointless? Just nod your heads and bow before him so it'll stop.

That is a wonderful idea. :P

I love when people who have never done my job try to argue it with me.

I love when people try to convince people they're somehow better because of the job they have.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I hate to be the one to spoil the party here, but this "debate" has pushed out a huge number of pages in the past couple days. It's almost ridiculous.

I want to suggest the debate gets moved to its own thread in D&D, rather than in here. The cool job stories are getting lost in the sea of "zomg u should tip bettar!" and "tips r 4 nubs!"

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=30230

*shoos off the tip arguments*

Aurin on
  • Options
    MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    God damn, are you guys still arguing with Esh? Have you not noticed it's pointless? Just nod your heads and bow before him so it'll stop.

Agreed.

Also, working from home after you had food poisoning the night before kind of sucks I learned today.

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited July 2007

To be fair, I'm not arguing about your job. I'm arguing about all tipped professions. Yours is not special.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    DaybreakDaybreak Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I want to suggest the debate gets moved to its own thread in D&D, rather than in here. The cool job stories are getting lost in the sea of "zomg u should tip bettar!" and "tips r 4 nubs!"

This thread seems to be at (or beyond) it's page limit, so I'm hoping that it gets locked (and burnt and sunk to the bottom of the sea) and that there's an explicit "no tip conversation" warning at the start of the next Employee Lounge.
    Secretly, I want there to also be a warning against debating whether or not tackling shoplifters is illegal, whether or not gutted games are new or not, and whether or not credit cards require photo ID. These discussions are boring, repetitive, and un-funny.

Daybreak on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    drhazard wrote: »
    Pjstelford said, "Should tipping still be mandatory?" You replied, "Yup." This, you definitely said.

Then you argued that skilled workers that make more than minimum wage shouldn't be tipped. At least, you implied it: "Once again, those professions make WAY more than minumum wage. Try again."

You're comparing people who make $20+ an hour to someone who makes minimum or less and who works in an industry where tipping is part of the game.

Just because others are doing well doesn't mean that the system isn't broken and retarded. My making more money than you doesn't entitle you to some of my cash just for doing your job. Tipping shouldn't be mandatory; that's part of what makes it a tip. A bonus. A gratuity. A thank-you for a job well-done. If somebody in the food and beverage service industry performs in a mediocre manner then why should I reward them for it?

Last post here (unless someone says something really stupid). I've repeated over and over that someone should not be tipped well for mediocre service. I was only referring to people who are just asshats and flat out stiff restaurant workers for no reason other than that they are cheap. Is everyone getting that?

Esh on
  • Options
    mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007

Only people who get tips know what it takes to get 'em, rite?

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Wow, this thread has really grown...

.. but you know what's worse than terrible, arrogant, rude customers? Terrible, arrogant, rude co-workers. At least the customers leave after a while, but the co-workers will always be there.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    MaterlyMaterly Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    Wow, this thread has really grown...

.. but you know what's worse than terrible, arrogant, rude customers? Terrible, arrogant, rude co-workers. At least the customers leave after a while, but the co-workers will always be there.

When I joined my current company they were firing and hiring a lot of people, seems like the old work force wasn't all that great and they had no problems with firing you if you didn't pull your weight.

This woman gets hired on as the executive assistant to the CFO. She was a little odd in the head, would try and impress people by speaking foreign languages with really, really bad accents, and some other weird things.

One day myself and the guy next to me were talking about how funy it is how in New York when you meet people the question of what country your family is from always comes up. This girl walks into the tail end of the discussion and starts regaling us with stories of how her ancestors were native americans and whatnot. She asks me where my family was from and my response was something like 'I don't know, straight off the mayflower or something...'

She looks at me and says 'Your ancestors murdered my ancestors' with this accusing tone in her voice. The guy next to me chimes in with 'Obviously they didn't kill enough of them.'

The look on her face was priceless. She was fired two weeks later for getting wasted in the office from the flask she kept in her desk.

Materly on
    When life gives you lemons, you squeeze the lemon juice into your enemies eyes and steal his apples - Runoir

materly.png
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    If no one minds, I'm going to start a new thread with a link to the d&d topic in it

ronzo on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Maybe I missed it, I know we normally restart once the page count gets up there, but why?

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    Maybe I missed it, I know we normally restart once the page count gets up there, but why?

High page counts used to do very bad things to the server. They don't any more, but it's tradition now to cycle a thread once it gets massive.

jothki on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    time for a new one!

Captain K on
This discussion has been closed.