Options

spider [chat]

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Dave Mustaine may be best known for fronting the thrash-metal band Megadeth, but he's lately implied an interest in a different kind of metal -- namely tinfoil, for folding into hats, out of an escalating and bizarre far-right paranoia.

The singer told an audience at a Singapore show last week that he believed President Obama secretly planned three recent shootings as a precedent to steal Americans' guns. "Back in my country, my president is trying to pass a gun ban," he said. "So he's staging all of these murders, like the Fast and Furious thing down at the border and Aurora, Colorado, all the people that were killed there. And now the beautiful people at the Sikh temple."

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    tyrannus wrote: »
    Is E=Mc² a sexed equation? Perhaps it is. Let us make the hypothesis that it is insofar as it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us. What seems to me to indicate the possible sexed nature of the equation is not directly its uses by nuclear weapons, rather it is having privileged that which goes faster.

What is this from?

I hope it is a joke. Gender essentialist feminism is worst feminism.
    I am pretty sure that was a joke. And if not, just some fringe BS.

But it did get me thinking a bit. Something that has occured to me before is the occasionally worrying prospect that there might someday (and I'm not saying there is now) be a good scientific basis for some fact that is directly contradictory to something fundamental to ideas of gender equality.

For example suppose there was solid scientific evidense proving [insert sexist stereotype of your choice here]. I just know that if there ever was such a conflict I would have to believe the science even if that made me sexist. Hence the worry.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    Originally it was planned that Mr House could be seduced (presumably only by female characters). If successful in some sort of speech challenge, the player would be told to enter the secret area of his penthouse and enter some kind of "scanner" (to perve over the player's body - or more likely according to Raul - brain?).
    oh my god

• Options
    Is E=Mc² a sexed equation? Perhaps it is. Let us make the hypothesis that it is insofar as it privileges the speed of light over other speeds that are vitally necessary to us. What seems to me to indicate the possible sexed nature of the equation is not directly its uses by nuclear weapons, rather it is having privileged that which goes faster.

What is this from?

But it did get me thinking a bit. Something that has occured to me before is the occasionally worrying prospect that there might someday (and I'm not saying there is now) be a good scientific basis for some fact that is directly contradictory to something fundamental to ideas of gender equality.

For example suppose there was solid scientific evidense proving [insert sexist stereotype of your choice here]. I just know that if there ever was such a conflict I would have to believe the science even if that made me sexist. Hence the worry.

i've wondered the same thing about race

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
  • Options
    organichu - good point yeah. Same (thankfully totally hypothetical at this time) dilema.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    I've seen several different versions of Little Girl's Cubicle, but Little Girl's Room puts it all to shame.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    oh my god rush hour transit on a street under heavy construction

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular

What is this from?

Googling the quote reveals that it is not in fact a joke.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luce_Irigaray#Criticism

• Options
    also what if the science just said that 6'1" brunettes with a lazy eye and almost-hairless chests were perfect ubermensch

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Had some coconut gelato and a fresh strawberry. It was so good.

u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    Organichu wrote: »
    Dave Mustaine may be best known for fronting the thrash-metal band Megadeth, but he's lately implied an interest in a different kind of metal -- namely tinfoil, for folding into hats, out of an escalating and bizarre far-right paranoia.

The singer told an audience at a Singapore show last week that he believed President Obama secretly planned three recent shootings as a precedent to steal Americans' guns. "Back in my country, my president is trying to pass a gun ban," he said. "So he's staging all of these murders, like the Fast and Furious thing down at the border and Aurora, Colorado, all the people that were killed there. And now the beautiful people at the Sikh temple."

sLAZr.png

• Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Spiders that kill wasps are our friends.

• Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Sheep wrote: »

And wasps that kill spiders are our friends as well.

• Options
    CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular

Poisons that kill both spiders and wasps are the best friends of all.

• Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular

What is this from?

The stereotype would only be generally proven and would almost certainly not apply to 100 percent of women so it would still be stupid to make assumptions about all women based on something that only applies to most of them.

• Options
    Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    No, 21st. No wasp is a friend.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited August 2012
    Manufacturer Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd.
    Model P55-USB3
    Total amount of system memory 4.00 GB RAM
    System type 32-bit operating system
    Number of processor cores 4
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Total size of hard disk(s) 931 GB
    Disk partition (C: ) 606 GB Free (931 GB Total)
    Media drive (D ) CD/DVD
    Media drive (F: ) CD

Graphics

Display adapter type NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460
    Total available graphics memory 2555 MB
    Dedicated graphics memory 1024 MB
    Dedicated system memory 0 MB
    Shared system memory 1531 MB
    Display adapter driver version 8.17.13.142
    Primary monitor resolution 1680x1050
    DirectX version DirectX 10

So what is my first upgrade here? My system is new enough that I'm certainly not replacing the whole thing, but what is the first bottleneck I am looking at for upgrading? Is it as simple as getting 64 bit windows 7?

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Cinders wrote: »

Poisons that kill both spiders and wasps are the best friends of all.

But that poison kills our friends!

• Options
    Oh

Don't remember if I posted this.

Salmonella.

In my stomach, bladder, and kidneys.

• Options
    No, 21st. No wasp is a friend.

Damn, that's a pretty intolerant position to have.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular

He has always been politically minded but hes so far off his fucking rocker now its not funny.

• Options
    Dread Pirate ArbuthnotDread Pirate Arbuthnot OMG WRIGGLY T O X O P L A S M O S I SRegistered User regular
    do you ever go through life feeling like everyone you interact with hates you

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular

What is this from?

If there were to be scientific evidence incontrovertibly proving a sexist stereotype - that men are inherently more aggressive, or that women are worse at X kind of math, or whatever - then acknowledging it isn't sexist.

What would be sexist is discrimination based on that fact, like not hiring a woman based on the broad tendencies of her sex rather than on her individual qualities. Women are demonstrably less muscular on average than men, for whatever reason, but that's no reason not to hire a woman for a physical job that requires strength, if she is able to do the work.

The differences between the sexes that do exist are so negligible in many cases that individual variance is vastly more significant, which is why evidence of certain stereotypes being "true" would have little impact on what it means to be sexist or not sexist.

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    also what if the science just said that 6'1" brunettes with a lazy eye and almost-hairless chests were perfect ubermensch

This is actually extremely close to what the science says on the matter

Only it also adds that they like anime

• Options
    Winky wrote: »

This is actually extremely close to what the science says on the matter

Only it also adds that they like anime

Nooo.jpg

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular

I don't know Cass, lots of people like you a lot.

• Options
    395827_476919255660135_93130968_n.jpg

I have absolutely no idea why this woman has to justify her butt. Seriously. Who made this woman feel the need to explain this? That person needs a stern talking too.

• Options

No but I was beginning to assume that basically everyone wants to date me.

• Options
    Model P55-USB3
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Media drive (D ) CD/DVD

Graphics

So what is my first upgrade here? My system is new enough that I'm certainly not replacing the whole thing, but what is the first bottleneck I am looking at for upgrading? Is it as simple as getting 64 bit windows 7?

You will see no greater boost in real-world performance than you would booting Windows off of an SSD.

Doesn't even have to be a big / pricey one, since it's just a boot drive. 32 and 64 GB parts are practically overkill.

• Options

I do sometimes.

• Options
    cass the most interesting bit about that to me was the duality of rejection. just, people not staring at you as a dude, not invading your personal bubble with every look... and then how weird it felt for a prospective partner to just blow you off when you go to talk to them.

SOCIETY

IT'S ALL SO WEIRD SOMETIMES

• Options
    395827_476919255660135_93130968_n.jpg

I have absolutely no idea why this woman has to justify her butt. Seriously. Who made this woman feel the need to explain this? That person needs a stern talking too.

Nah, I want to meet these butt-scorners and give THEM a stern talking to.

• Options
    Model P55-USB3
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Media drive (D ) CD/DVD

Graphics

You will see no greater boost in real-world performance than you would booting Windows off of an SSD.

Doesn't even have to be a big / pricey one, since it's just a boot drive. 32 and 64 GB parts are practically overkill.

Is it possible to get an external one, load it with windows OS and boot from that without actually having to do a clean install on my main hard drive? Because I would love to avoid having to re-install programs.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    When the world is a glorious vegan utopia all animals will be trained not to kill other animals via pavlovian conditioning

• Options
    Jeeps -You looking at improvments in general system perf, gaming or other applications (photoshop use? programming IDEs?)
    for anything, get 64 bit windows.
    for gaming, I would look at a decent (definetly not top-range, don't spend more than $150) DirectX11 video card.
    An SSD hard drive would help load times but doesn't help much at all once games are actually running.
    Oh and if you don't currently have an i7 CPU and your motherboard can handle it then that might be a good upgrade.

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Yeah that article is super interesting

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    MMOs or any open world game that streamloads data takes huge advantage of SSD, so I'd consider going at least 128gb to keep a few games on too

• Options
    To or too?

Dunno in that case.

• Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    Model P55-USB3
    64-bit capable Yes

Storage

Media drive (D ) CD/DVD

Graphics

That would be my first upgrade just because you aren't getting full use out of all your memory.

u7stthr17eud.png
This discussion has been closed.