As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2012 BYOC - Group Seating Live!

167891012»

• Options
    VanusVanus Registered User regular
    Thanks for another awesome BYOC Big Red!

• Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular
    Indeed, to BR and all the enforcers who worked BYOC, thanks for an awesome time. PAX just wouldn't be the same without BYOC.

vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    Like others have said, thanks BR and the Enforcers for another great BYOC. This was my fourth PAX and third BYOC. I built an entirely new PC after winning an i7 it last year's BYOC, so this year my rig sort of came back to where it was born. (And I came back to not winning anything. Oh well.)

See you all next year, I look forward to seeing how BYOC works with a 4 day PAX.

• Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular
    Many thanks to BigRed and all the BYOC Enforcers!

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    japerryjaperry Registered User regular
    Holy awesome PAX and BYOC!

I really like the new location for BYOC. Close to the expo hall, but away from crowds and a close nit group. Good work as always to Atlas Networks and BigRed and Intel for making it work considering some external limitations (cough 70mb internet)

Red, was there a tally of empty seats this year? I counted somewhere close to 100 were empty sat afternoon. (IE swag bags there, no machines, etc). I know there are always some no-shows, but this seemed a bit higher this year.

Can't wait for a 4-day BYOC! But sadly I might have to give up pre-pax drinking. I don't see how lasting 4 days after getting really drunk the first night will work ;-)

7jIDTca.png
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    yeah byoc was amazing. I bet the location will never be that amazing again

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    I hate to have to post something like this after what was otherwise and incredible PAX and BYOC experience, but I feel obligated to deliver a quick shout-out to the pathetic little piece of shit that stole my wallet and friend's swag bag and the PSU he won in the BYOC raffle and then immediately spent about $500 of my money at the downtown Target and AT&T stores while we were watching the stream of the last round of the Omegathon today. Congratulations on your expanded PAX haul I guess, shit-stain; but know that even though a sad little disgrace like you got lucky during registration and got to be a waste of a BYOC seat this year, you are not part of nor are you welcome in the incredible BYOC community that my friend and I have been sharing PAX with for five years. We will be back, we will have a great time again, and, well, if the best use you can think of for the last 30 minutes of PAX is credit card fraud, then you have a sad, sad life.

Hey algorhythm,

First off, on behalf of all of the BYOC security staff, I very much apologize that this has happened. As much as I like to think that BYOC is as secure as it can be, the only thing we make sure of is that people in BYOC are actually allowed there. We track computer equipment as well, but at the end of the day, things left out such as wallets are sadly targets for mean people. When you approached me Sunday night about this, there wasn't much I could do except to offer sympathy and suggestion of going to the info booth to see what they could. That's where the majority of the lost and found is. I did keep a look out for it while we were tearing down, but it seems you already figured out what happened to it.

Anyways, I am super glad to hear that you'll be back, and please say hi to me when you do! Thanks again, and please keep me updated if you hear anything more.

To everyone else, aside from this one incident that was reported to me, we had a pretty well run year at PAX. There were no other reports of stolen equipment or prizes and all cell phones that managed to either be found or lost, were returned to their owners within minutes.

Thanks to all of the attendees for a great PAX Prime 2012! We'll see you next year at Boston for PAX East 2013!

Sincerely,

Vapok

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    BYOC this year ROCKED. Location was spectacular, it was spacious, and [compared to last East] reasonably quiet.

Oh yeah, and drama free. Thanks @Vapok, @BigRed, @JonXP and the rest of the [E] community who made BYOC a fantastic experience this year.

@algorhythm3.14 - That completely blows, and you totally have my (and I'm sure most of the rest of the community's) sympathies.

LexiconGrrl on
    Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I hate to say it but I am giving up the reigns for BYOC. This was my last year in that position.

I am horribly burnt out (from PAX, work, hobbies, life) and need to take a break. 8 Years and 12 events is a long time.

Hell, I might actually attend BYOC for a change :P

Thanks to everyone that made each one a success

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    emimonsteremimonster Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    We will be sad to lose you at the reins, but we are incredibly thankful to have you as apart of the community @BigRed.

emimonster on
  • Options
    matguymatguy Registered User regular
    BigRed wrote: »
    I hate to say it but I am giving up the reigns for BYOC. This was my last year in that position.

I am horribly burnt out (from PAX, work, hobbies, life) and need to take a break. 8 Years and 12 events is a long time.

Are you passing on the cape itself? (I have to imagine no, actually, I hope no.)

Seriously, though, them's some big shoes to fill, and I don't mean that literally.

• Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular

I wasn't there this year, but I know you always do an incredible job with BYOC and I think you've definitely earned your retirement!

Thanks for all the awesome BYOCs over the years. I'm sure they will continue to be awesome with the rest of the staff still working hard.

• Options
    BritalityBritality Registered User regular
    matguy wrote: »
    Are you passing on the cape itself? (I have to imagine no, actually, I hope no.)

I think it's too long for most people. :p

• Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    BYOC definitely won't be quite the same without you leading it, BigRed. Whoever runs next year's should at least wear one of the Intel capes though.

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    DrysilDrysil Registered User new member
    Britality wrote: »

Well, that and the huge number of year pins make it a bit heavy for those without superhuman strength. :)

• Options
    sizzlersamsizzlersam (Retired) [E] PC Room Network Registered User regular
    @bigred, very sad to see you go. but I do understand needing to take a break from something that stressful. thanks for all your years!

46Eamp0.png
  • Options
    Drysil wrote: »
    Britality wrote: »

Well, that and the huge number of year pins make it a bit heavy for those without superhuman strength. :)

Maybe we should hang it on the wall like a retired jersey.

• Options
    JurgmanJurgman Tech Director NYC, NJ, LARegistered User regular
    THANK YOU for a great BYOC. This was my first BYOC year and a dry run for when I can bring my main rig to PAX east. The location was excellent. Being a ride up an escalator to the show floor was nice. I was able to learn what to do and bring for my next BYOC to make it even better.
    Loved the events that got us involved and off our asses. Like paper airplane throw.
    BTW the hovering ufo / helicopter was cool. I will definately love to bring a helium blimp and cruise that around the rooms and halls of con, where it would be cool and allowed :^)

• Options
    AlphonsisAlphonsis Registered User regular

I'm so sorry to hear this, but also glad to hear you may attend BYOC so you can have the wonderful experience you've allowed all of us to have all these years.

vhkbviT.png
  • Options
    algorhythm3.14algorhythm3.14 Registered User regular

Man, that's tough news to swallow. BigRed you really made BYOC as awesome as it could possibly be year in an year out and we'll all miss you.
    Vapok wrote: »
    I hate to have to post something like this after what was otherwise and incredible PAX and BYOC experience, but I feel obligated to deliver a quick shout-out to the pathetic little piece of shit that stole my wallet and friend's swag bag and the PSU he won in the BYOC raffle and then immediately spent about $500 of my money at the downtown Target and AT&T stores while we were watching the stream of the last round of the Omegathon today. Congratulations on your expanded PAX haul I guess, shit-stain; but know that even though a sad little disgrace like you got lucky during registration and got to be a waste of a BYOC seat this year, you are not part of nor are you welcome in the incredible BYOC community that my friend and I have been sharing PAX with for five years. We will be back, we will have a great time again, and, well, if the best use you can think of for the last 30 minutes of PAX is credit card fraud, then you have a sad, sad life.

Hey algorhythm,

First off, on behalf of all of the BYOC security staff, I very much apologize that this has happened. As much as I like to think that BYOC is as secure as it can be, the only thing we make sure of is that people in BYOC are actually allowed there. We track computer equipment as well, but at the end of the day, things left out such as wallets are sadly targets for mean people. When you approached me Sunday night about this, there wasn't much I could do except to offer sympathy and suggestion of going to the info booth to see what they could. That's where the majority of the lost and found is. I did keep a look out for it while we were tearing down, but it seems you already figured out what happened to it.

Anyways, I am super glad to hear that you'll be back, and please say hi to me when you do! Thanks again, and please keep me updated if you hear anything more.

To everyone else, aside from this one incident that was reported to me, we had a pretty well run year at PAX. There were no other reports of stolen equipment or prizes and all cell phones that managed to either be found or lost, were returned to their owners within minutes.

Thanks to all of the attendees for a great PAX Prime 2012! We'll see you next year at Boston for PAX East 2013!

Sincerely,

Vapok

Good news! The police arrested the thief for something unrelated this week and he still had my stolen wallet on him. He's in big big trouble with the law and I'm helping investigate/prosecute. Once charges are actually filed I should be able to report who it was to see if he/she actually had a BYOC ticket, but regardless, he/she will probably still be in jail for the next handful of PAX Primes by the sound of it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RavengerRavenger Trolololo Registered User regular

Youda best! But.

If no BigRed, is BYOC worth it? hmmm

<@heels&gt; Ravenger: i do not talk to anyone
    <+Ravenger> you are talking to me
    <@heels&gt; oh god, what am i doing
  • Options
    VapokVapok Just a Guy. BostonRegistered User regular
    Good news! The police arrested the thief for something unrelated this week and he still had my stolen wallet on him. He's in big big trouble with the law and I'm helping investigate/prosecute. Once charges are actually filed I should be able to report who it was to see if he/she actually had a BYOC ticket, but regardless, he/she will probably still be in jail for the next handful of PAX Primes by the sound of it.

WOAH!!! That's awesome dude! Sucks to be him, but I'm glad you're getting some closure on it. You should get whatever he bought with it too.. :)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    Vapok wrote: »

WOAH!!! That's awesome dude! Sucks to be him, but I'm glad you're getting some closure on it. You should get whatever he bought with it too.. :)
    Glad things are looking up.

jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    taumesontaumeson PAX PC Room Manager Minnesota?Registered User regular

I wanna see what this guy looks like -- post the booking photo.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    LexiconGrrlLexiconGrrl Registered User regular
    taumeson wrote: »

How about seeing if you can get a copy privately. Just in case it's a case of mistaken identity - because that happens - lets not encourage a forum witch hunt, hm?

Happily on Sabbatical. Don't bug me.
  • Options
    jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    But but....I have pitchforks and everything.

Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • Options
    taumeson wrote: »

How about seeing if you can get a copy privately. Just in case it's a case of mistaken identity - because that happens - lets not encourage a forum witch hunt, hm?

Fair enough, but...witch hunt? The guy had the wallet on him! :)

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    The police have the guy, the police can take care of it. Let's end that line of discussion.

• Options
    As LexiconGrrl mentioned, this can be handled privately. I've PM'd algo already to be let into the loop on this -- didn't mean to raise any hackles.

yBfDKg5.png
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    Sad to hear you won't be working PAX East next year @bigred, hopefully I'll see you though as an attendee!

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    I am trying to work out a work trip to our new Boston location so I can at least go a day or two of PAX East, wont know until like a week before though :(

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    ransimransim Registered User regular
    I am trying to work out a work trip to our new Boston location so I can at least go a day or two of PAX East, wont know until like a week before though :(

Well if you can make it let me know I'll make sure I put aside one or two brigade goodies for you. :)

• Options
    JobiwanKenobiJobiwanKenobi Registered User regular

Might I suggest that you give the "Darth-Enforcer" cape a viking funeral.

Thank you for all your hard work over the many PAX's! Its not going to be the same without you at the helm; but at least you'll be able to get some gaming in at PAX, right?

PAX Prime '09 - H1N(erd)1 Survivor - Never Forget (Your Hand Sanitizer)
    PAX Prime '14 Omeganaut - Result: KO in 3rd Round (Damn you, Super Avalanche 2!)
  • Options
    kainz0rkainz0r Registered User regular
    sizzlersam wrote: »
    Even though BYOC is in the Annex it is still within the "PAX boundaries". PC Freeplay and a couple booths are in the same room as BYOC. So no, you can't get in all three days with only a Friday/Sunday pass.

So that part's understood, but then it's not clear - were people supposed to be allowed to buy a BYOC pass even if they could only actually use it for one day, two? The BYOC slot would end up being locked out for any days they weren't attending. There definitely wasn't any checking requirement that enforced that someone purchasing a BYOC either had a 3-day pass or 1-day for all 3 days, and I imagine that had to impact people who were in the BYOC playing with a lower population of people to play with.

• Options
    kainz0r wrote: »
    So that part's understood, but then it's not clear - were people supposed to be allowed to buy a BYOC pass even if they could only actually use it for one day, two? The BYOC slot would end up being locked out for any days they weren't attending. There definitely wasn't any checking requirement that enforced that someone purchasing a BYOC either had a 3-day pass or 1-day for all 3 days, and I imagine that had to impact people who were in the BYOC playing with a lower population of people to play with.

I'm pretty sure you weren't supposed to buy a BYOC if you didn't have all 3 days covered. One may have been able to get the system to sell them more BYOC badges than general access badges, but I think you had to have at least some badges on your account to be able to add a BYOC (correct me if I'm wrong, and from what I understood the system enforced "pre-requisites" for buying BYOC badges may have changed between the Vendor systems and possibly when more BYOC badges were released later.)

If you had a BYOC, but only a couple days of regular badges, you shouldn't have been able to get in the building on days that you didn't have general badges for. While that may account for a -very- small amount of a BYOC spots being vacant for a day, I think other situations causing that would be more likely, such as any accidental purchases during the initial rush(es), people that bought them with the intent of going, but then selling their badges later and the BYOC doesn't get sold or used, and/or people that get BYOC just for a place to set down stuff, but not actually bringing PC.

• Options
    hobbseltoffhobbseltoff Issaquah, WARegistered User regular
    I think you had to have at least some badges on your account to be able to add a BYOC

That's incorrect. I was able to get my BYOC badge during the first batch but many of my friends missed out so when I saw the second batch was available, I jumped and ordered more passes. I didn't realize you could modify an account though so I made a new one had an order of just BYOC badges.

row1.pngrow2.png
  • Options
    I think you had to have at least some badges on your account to be able to add a BYOC

That's incorrect. I was able to get my BYOC badge during the first batch but many of my friends missed out so when I saw the second batch was available, I jumped and ordered more passes. I didn't realize you could modify an account though so I made a new one had an order of just BYOC badges.

Yeah, I had a feeling that changed when more BYOC's got released. It only makes sense, though, for people that had already bought 3day(s worth of) badges through other means. Otherwise, if the people they bought them from weren't able to simply hand over the account, they'd have no way to add BYOC on to the badges they had bought.

This discussion has been closed.