Options

Indie Game Bundle Notice & Discussion Thread [ NEW - Deep Space ]

• Options
    ZythonZython Registered User regular
    corky842 wrote: »
    Doesn't seem like that great of a bundle for phone users... 2/5 (or 2/4) of the games are only for tablets.

And 3 of them are available for the iPhone, which I actually have. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Everything but Uplink should work on my Note, so I can feel smug and superior about that. But yeah, it does feel more tailored towards tablets rather than phones.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    So I decided to give 3079 a spin again lately. Many hours later I'm pretty sure I'm having a lot of fun with this crazy ass ugly game.

scaled.php?server=515&filename=seriousshit.png&res=medium

I'd looked at it for a bit when I first obtained it in the Royale Alpha bundle. I decided I should probably let it bake a little more and then come back to it. I remembered it a few days ago looking through my Desura list, and all I can really say about it is I've been flying around hacking up spaceships with a sword, killing demons, repairing the damage to my captured fortress after a big battle between some capital ships overhead, and running through enemy bases cloaked up and shotgunning dudes in the back. It's like Doom fell in love with Fallout on the ugliest Minecraft server you ever saw.

• Options
    SaraLunaSaraLuna Registered User regular
    new royale is up - the getaway bundle:
    Shattered Horizon
    Analogue: A Hate Story
    Da New Guys
    Super Amazing Wagon Adventure
    Waves
    MiniFlake

• Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    New HIB found in the registry, called Humble Indie Bundle 6. So looks like we're due for a proper bundle again soon. Predictions:

-It'll be out on the 7th.
    -To the Moon will debut in it, which also releases the 7th on Steam.
    -HIB 5, the Android bundles, and the Botanicula bundles will be bonuses. All of these were modified at the same time that HIB 6 was added to registry.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    Debuting your Steam release in a bundle seems like bad economics to me but I know nothing so yeah.

• Options
    FremFrem Registered User regular
    Debuting your Steam release in a bundle seems like bad economics to me but I know nothing so yeah.

The set of people who buy the HiB is probably larger than the set of people who know that To the Moon is a good game and would snap it up if it appeared on Steam. It might not be a terrible idea?

• Options
    Frem wrote: »

The set of people who buy the HiB is probably larger than the set of people who know that To the Moon is a good game and would snap it up if it appeared on Steam. It might not be a terrible idea?
    Uh, no, it still sounds like a bad idea, because if we do it in the "bundle first" order, we sell the game to all the people who would snap it up on Steam, too, but we sell it at the bundle price, which is much lower. Whereas if we do it the "standalone Steam release first" way, we get all those people to pay the Steam price, then later when the game is in a bundle, you still sell to all the people who would buy the bundle for whatever other reason.

• Options
    CorpekataCorpekata Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote: »
    New HIB found in the registry, called Humble Indie Bundle 6. So looks like we're due for a proper bundle again soon. Predictions:

-It'll be out on the 7th.
    -To the Moon will debut in it, which also releases the 7th on Steam.
    -HIB 5, the Android bundles, and the Botanicula bundles will be bonuses. All of these were modified at the same time that HIB 6 was added to registry.

The reason these were modified is because they were listed under incorrect names before. The registry entries for the Humbles were for a while just listed as HIB 5, 6, 7, 8, etc despite the number not coordinating with the name. The changes were made to correct the names, that's why they got updated.

• Options

Uh, no, it still sounds like a bad idea, because if we do it in the "bundle first" order, we sell the game to all the people who would snap it up on Steam, too, but we sell it at the bundle price, which is much lower. Whereas if we do it the "standalone Steam release first" way, we get all those people to pay the Steam price, then later when the game is in a bundle, you still sell to all the people who would buy the bundle for whatever other reason.
    the botanicula guys had it in a humble bundle before it was even on steam proper & given their experience with prior bundles I'd guess they knew what they were doing.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    I don't know if they did. They managed to get GOG and the their loyal fanbase pretty annoyed with them.

But really, knowing business sense is probably not that required to be an indie dev. It may be smarter to wait, but maybe they're just not that smart (or don't care) when it comes to that end.

Corpekata on
  • Options
    in my mind, it's the same as the steam sale effect.
    yeah, you're not selling X copies at full price to the diehards that were gonna day one it anyway, but you're trading modest sales for a huge amount of publicity and a hype-generating install base.

• Options
    But it's not like you can't do that after you release on your own on Steam and sell a lot of copies to people who would buy it when it's not in a bundle.

• Options
    Corpekata wrote: »
    I don't know if they did. They managed to get GOG and the their loyal fanbase pretty annoyed with them.

But really, knowing business sense is probably not that required to be an indie dev. It may be smarter to wait, but maybe they're just not that smart (or don't care) when it comes to that end.

An article I saw announcing To the Moon's Steam release date stated that the dev is working on another entry in the series. As an avenue of publicity for the follow-up, having the game in a Humble Bundle sounds very smart.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular

See: recettear's first sale being that $5 bundle, that most people bought because it was recettear's first sale

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012

An article I saw announcing To the Moon's Steam release date stated that the dev is working on another entry in the series. As an avenue of publicity for the follow-up, having the game in a Humble Bundle sounds very smart.

But he could do that at practically any time. Why use THIS humble bundle for publicitiy for a sequel that's way off and not one of the other dozen Humble Bundles that are likely to be closer to the sequel's release date?

Corpekata on
  • Options
    But it's not like you can't do that after you release on your own on Steam and sell a lot of copies to people who would buy it when it's not in a bundle.

It doesn't make a lot of sense to give people keys to redeem a game on Steam instead of making them buy it again to have it there, but as has been shown it seems that some would rather their games get played and have the word spread instead of trying to squeeze every possible dollar out of customers.

But he could do that at practically any time. Why use THIS humble bundle for publicitiy for a sequel that's way off and not one of the other dozen Humble Bundles that are likely to be closer to the sequel's release date?

Because proper HIB's generate more publicity due to having awesome lineups and pull in a fuckton of money. Money that could be used to fund another game, and publicity that can be built into hype for it.

And how do you know this bundle isn't close to the release date of a sequel? No info has been released (that I know of) other than "the dev is working on another episode that involves diving into a person's memory."

Of course, TTM may very well not even be in the new HIB. I based that prediction off nothing more than a possible coincidence of release dates and my hope that it's included in the bundle with no information or evidence to back any of this up.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular

That's when there's the option of doing a Steam sale at a time where someone could look at the store page and see x number of friends that have the game due to picking it up from the bundle and deciding it's worth checking out if so many friends like it? To the Moon has been out for a while now so it's not exactly the same situation as Botanicula. The people gungho about the concept already picked it up, now it's the people that were on the fence that are left.

Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    new indie music bundle is up. it's all ios titles though, nothing really stands out

• Options
    Bundle in a Box (5 title pay what you like + 4 extras over ~$5)

Groupees Build-a-Bundle 3 featuring Detour & Secret of the Magic Crystals

Gamersgate/Indiefort 3 (Build-a-Bundle with up to 24 titles) Includes Tiny & Big, 3079, Cardinal Quest

• Options
    edited September 2012
    new royale is up:
    -Swords & Soldiers HD + DLC
    -Lunar Flight
    -Sequence
    -Bunny Must Die!
    -Flying Red Barrel
    -Qlione
    -Cute Things Dying Violently (I think this game was made by a forumer)

SaraLuna on
  • Options
    Damn. I really want those three Rockin' Android games. Especially Bunny Must Die.

Really everything in that bundle looks like pretty solid fun times.

• Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    Yep, Cute Things Dying Violently is mine, thanks for noticing! Was really happy to worm my way into this bundle, there's tons of great games in there.

• Options
    SumanaiSumanai muh PTRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Humble Bundle 6 is up. One of the best indie bundles in some time, the HIB guys rarely disappoint!

Rochard [+downloadable soundtrack]
    Shatter [+downloadable soundtrack]
    S.P.A.Z. [+downloadable soundtrack]
    Torchlight [+downloadable soundtrack]
    Vessel
    Dustforce [+downloadable soundtrack] (beat the average)

Sumanai on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Mike DangerMike Danger "Diane..." a place both wonderful and strangeRegistered User regular
    Can someone tell me about the games that aren't SPAZ and Torchlight?

Steam: Mike Danger | PSN/NNID: remadeking | 3DS: 2079-9204-4075
    oE0mva1.jpg
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited September 2012

Rochard is a 2.5D platformer with anti-gravity and a gravity gun, I've only played about 45 minutes earlier in the week but I'm enjoying it greatly.

Dustforce is a timetrials 2D platformer with a great artstyle and really tight controls. Great fun to play and well worth paying past the average for.

Vessel I haven't played yet but is another sidescrolling platformer with what looks like a water pump mechanic.

Shatter is a breakout evolution and a solid all round arcade game with an awesome soundtrack.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    SvKSvK Registered User regular
    I am really tempted to buy this bundle, but would probably get more use out of the soundtracks than the actual games. I already own the Dustforce soundtrack from a game music bundle.

• Options
    Rochard is really fun once you get past all the "Git R Done" type of stuff.

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    The only problem with the Humble Bundles being so good is that they're rapidly approaching a point where they're filled with good games, and I already own them, because they are good games.

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    edited September 2012

As Super Meat Boy is to Mario, Dustforce is to Sonic the Hedgehog. The physics are great, and characters have a bit of heft to them. Heft that you can use on hills to build up a lot of speed in order to launch them ridiculous distances into the air. I bought it at release, and have no regrets about doing so. Just be aware that this happens about 14 hours in, and you probably won't be ready for it. Up until that, it's pretty much amazing.

Trailer

Shatter is breakout with physics, and also you can steer the ball by blowing air at it. I'm terrible at it, but it has the best bosses I've ever seen in a breakout game.

Frem on
  • Options
    anoffdayanoffday To be changed whenever Anoffday gets around to it. Registered User regular
    Crap. With all the excitement of last week's games, I didn't even realize we had a new humble bundle. Looks like I own most of it anyway. Is it 1 key for all the games like usual?

Steam: offday
  • Options
    anoffday wrote: »
    Crap. With all the excitement of last week's games, I didn't even realize we had a new humble bundle. Looks like I own most of it anyway. Is it 1 key for all the games like usual?

Still the same system. One key for the base bundle and one for the beat the average game.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    bonus titles for HIB 6:
    -BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    -Gratuitous Space Battles
    -Jamestown
    -Wizorb

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    bonus titles for HIB 6:
    -BIT.TRIP RUNNER
    -Gratuitous Space Battles
    -Jamestown
    -Wizorb

They aren't bundled with Dustforce Steam key!

edit:
    Why can't any of these soundtracks come with ID tags already properly filled out? I'm extracting all the ones from the HIB6 and they are terrible. No track numbers, sometimes they show up as individual albums per song, no album art. Really? Is it really that hard to title your album, put in an artist, and put track numbers in for each? Oh, and please name them sensibly. Wizorb was FANTASTIC (Wizorb - 01 Cyrus's Theme.mp3) fully tagged. Then there's Torchlight (Boss Anticipation.mp3) with NO track numbers. Not even in the name. Do I just guess at what order these go in?

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Wolfire and the Humble Indie Bundle is a class act, lotsa love for those guys.

• Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    I already own all those games, probably from one of the older bundles.

steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    I already own all those games, probably from one of the older bundles.

Actually, most of them haven't been in an indie bundle before. HIB is pretty good about that. BIT.TRIP Runner, Gratuitous Space Battles and Jamestown are the only repeats afaict.

Frem on
  • Options
    New Indie Royale - Oktoberfest Bundle! http://www.indieroyale.com/

Hector: Badge of Carnage [steam (pc, mac), windows, mac, desura]
    Chime [steam (pc)]
    The Adventures of Shuggy [steam (pc), windows, desura]
    Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble! [steam (pc, mac), windows, mac, desura (incl. bonus game The Witch's Yarn!)]
    The Network [windows, desura]

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    I loved Shuggy on XBLA. Highly recommend grabbing the Royale.

• Options
    steam keys for Cortex Command have been added to HIB 2/3
    key resender