As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Conclave: a tabletop-ish co-op RPG for your browser

TubeTube Registered User admin
edited September 2012 in Indie Games
About the Game

Conclave is a tabletop-inspired co-op RPG you can play from any modern browser and at any pace. Parties of up to four players work together to complete quests that are a mix of turn-based tactical combats and group decisions driven by the story and the skills of the party's characters. You can play in realtime when your party is online together and asynchronously, Words With Friends-style, when you're not.

Open beta: http://playconclave.com
Screenshots & more info: http://playconclave.com/about

The beta includes all the quests and features we've created so far and will be open to everyone at least through Saturday, Sep. 22.

Gameplay Video

http://youtu.be/33TjPQfSngM

Backstory

Conclave was designed and developed by the two-person development team 10x10 Room, with help from artists Chris Rahn and Devin Night and composer Sam Hulick. We were inspired to create it because we've found it increasingly difficult to schedule regular gaming sessions (either tabletop or MMO) with our friends; between family, work, and other interests, it's rare that we're all free at the same time. As a result, Conclave combines multiplayer RPG storytelling and cooperative gameplay but doesn't expect you to sacrifice your life to it. Since it uses HTML5/JavaScript rather than Flash for its client, you can play from pretty much any device with a browser, including desktops, laptops, tablets, and smartphones.

We'd love to have you try out the beta and tell us what you think either here or through one of the other options below. And if you like it, please help us spread the word!

Twitter: @10x10Room
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/playconclave
Google+: https://plus.google.com/b/106873198349668106473/106873198349668106473
Suggestions: https://10x10room.uservoice.com/forums/137104-conclave
Forums: http://forums.10x10room.com

Tube on

• Options
    GrabtharGrabthar Co-Founder, 10x10 Room BostonRegistered User new member
    edited September 2012
    Tube, thanks for setting this up.

Hey all! I'm one of the two developers of Conclave. I'll post any updates I have here.

Grabthar on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Looks interesting. What are the plans after this Saturday?

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    We plan to keep a good chunk of the game's content available to beta players after that, just not necessarily everything. We want everyone to have a chance to try out a substantial amount of the game for free, but some quests will be reserved for players who pledge toward our Kickstarter drive by Saturday or (post-Kickstarter) pay for the game.

• Options
    GeoffWGeoffW UKRegistered User regular
    Looks cool, if I'm understanding right it's kind of like Card Hunter only a bit more traditional?

The Trouble With Robots customisable card game for PC - http://www.digitalchestnut.com/trouble
  • Options
    A little. From what I've seen of Card Hunter, it's primarily a single-player game that uses deckbuilding and card-drawing mechanics to resolve combats. Conclave is primarily a cooperative multiplayer game (though you can play solo too), and its gameplay is inspired by tabletop RPGs like D&D. Besides combat on battlemaps, it has points where your group has to make a decision in the story, and your options are based on the skills of your characters.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    So, I think the game is fun. But I think there's a lot of room for improvement. But let me emphasize that while this post will mostly be criticism, I am enjoying it, so don't take it the wrong way please :)

My primary complaint would be the UI. It just feels.... outdated, or unpolished. There is a definite lack of responsiveness. By that, I mean if I click somewhere, there is a discernible waiting period before it registers. That detracts a lot from the overall experience, and if you could fix that, the game as a whole would be loads better.

On the same sort of idea, sometimes clicking an enemy/friend to target them seems to select them and display their info instead, which would not normally be an issue except for the aforementioned lag.

The layout of the site seems a bit... I'm not sure how to explain it, but... De-centralized? I get an email, I go directly to my turn, take my turn, and then exit the game. I mean, going directly from the notification email to the corresponding turn is good, but after that, I feel like I have no need to do anything besides just leave. The "main" page of the game, as far as I can tell, is the characters page (and once logged in, even if I try to go to http://www.playconclave.com/, it redirects me to the characters page). The only way to get to that page normally from in-game is by clicking a very small and easy-to-miss logo in the top left. I have a log-in to the site, but there's really nothing that connects my players outside the game...

Blah, I'm not sure how to describe it because I'm not sure what is even bothering me about it, or if it's actually a legitimate concern or just me. Sorry :/

Maybe part of that.... there's no way to see what other people are doing? You have to first create a character, then try to join a party, then see what parties are available to join to get any idea that other people are also doing things in the game. So from what I've seen, there are maybe like.... 6 people playing the game. When I looked for a party, I only saw one ever on the list that was seeking members. So it just looks empty, which is not the ideal feel of the game, obviously.

The art style seems very, very unoriginal. I feel like I could have seen these in a tabletop game or whatnot years and years ago. It is, however, pleasing to look at. Just kind of boring. I haven't gotten very far in the game, yet, so maybe it gets more creative later. Or has more variety. 'cause already I've had people with duplicate portraits in my party, which is not ideal.

The OP of the thread mentions a composer. I have yet to hear any sounds in the game.

I am very early in the game, as I said (it's the nature of a game that only has about a turn or two each day when I just start this week :P), but I've yet to feel like I had any customization in my characters, whether with abilities or equipment. This may be by design? It's not my personal favorite, though.

On a good note, the ability to play on any device is fantastic. :^: :^: on that.

So yeah, I mean, I'll keep playing. But I think you guys have room to grow if you want this to really be popular or whatnot. Thanks for sharing it here :). Let me know if you have any questions, sorry that I had trouble explaining my concerns for some of it.

Edit: I just watched your video again (from the OP), and noticed that apparently later you do get to have different equipment and whatnot, so that's good. But it also reminded me that I hope things like the animation get updates as well, since it also seems a bit lacking.

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    kime, thanks for all your feedback. The short answer is that almost everything you've suggested is on our to-do list for the next few months, including animations, better responsiveness, more ways to connect with other players, and customizing your abilities.

I think the behavior you're seeing where clicking on a token sometimes displays its info is due to how we handle target selection. When there's only one target available for an ability, we auto-select it -- but if you still click on it because that's what you're used to doing, it'll bring up its info the way clicking does when you're not targeting. It's a usability tradeoff that we're still working on a good solution for.

• Options
    edited September 2012
    Grabthar wrote: »
    kime, thanks for all your feedback. The short answer is that almost everything you've suggested is on our to-do list for the next few months, including animations, better responsiveness, more ways to connect with other players, and customizing your abilities.

I think the behavior you're seeing where clicking on a token sometimes displays its info is due to how we handle target selection. When there's only one target available for an ability, we auto-select it -- but if you still click on it because that's what you're used to doing, it'll bring up its info the way clicking does when you're not targeting. It's a usability tradeoff that we're still working on a good solution for.

I think that is what's happening, yes. The way you did it sounds logical, and I imagine that's something that wouldn't happen as much once I get more practice :P.

Glad to hear about the improvements, I wish you luck with it!

Edit: Ugggh I just checked the Kickstarter page. You guys are annoyingly close haha, nice job putting it down to the wire :P. I don't have spare money really, otherwise I'd help more, but I can at least say I contributed a little. Good luck with the rest :)

kime on
    Steam profile
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    Bah, I should have looked into this earlier. Now I can't decide if I want to sign up.

It's hard not to support a couple people that quit their jobs because they didn't have enough time to raid in WoW.

steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    Barely made the Kickstarter, glad I got to it in time. I think this game will go far, but even if it doesn't, I feel like this could be the beginning of a pretty excellent genre, and I'm looking forward to seeing the concept refined.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited September 2012
    They're now directly selling the 10, 25, 40, and 50 buck tiers if you missed the Kickstarter.

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png