As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Disney World/Land: Your favorite part.

MatthewMatthew Registered User regular
edited July 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I went with my family to Disney World last November for Thanksgiving, and vacation. It had been years since I was there last, and, to be frank, I had forgotten how much I enjoyed it. I enjoyed it despite the unseasonable cold, and the coughing sickness I had mostly gotten over by then.

Yeah it's expensive, but for once I actually think it's worth it, this is a place where you have to go to at least once in your life (my opinion).

But what about you guys? What were the parts that stood out for you guys?

Or any amusement park, for that matter (as Disney World/Land are amusement parks, just on a much bigger cale than any Six Flags).

Matthew on

• Options
    ZoolanderZoolander Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I was impressed most by the overall quality of Disney World. Most everything was well done and well thought out. Like the FastPass system. Man all amusement parks should have that, it's so awesome.

I thought all of Epcot was nicely done. I really liked that tunnel thing with the rabbit in Magic Kingdom - there was so much attention to detail there. And the stunt car show in MGM was pretty cool, as was the water/light show at night.

Zoolander on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    My favorite part of Disney world, is Downtown Disney. It's got a pimp theater, a sweet arcade, a pretty decent music venue(house of blues?) that gets some decent shows, some decent shops and restraints too.

I don't actually like those particular parks much. Universal or Bush Gardens are better in my book. Better still would be something like Ceder Point.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Last time I went was on a band trip, so our Jazz Band got to play in that future restaurant with the elevator floor thingy. Let me tell you, it was very badass to rise out of the floor playing some cool jazz.

Anyway, my favorite part was near the close. It was just about empty and me and some of my friends were riding that mining coaster, the rocking roller coaster, and some other rides over and over again. The fast pass was fantastic for when it was busier. My second favorite bit was that mini monorail in future town. After riding many many rides it was nice to kick back on that thing and people watch.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2007
    Star Tours!

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    MikestaMikesta Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Disney World, as I recall (I went there almost a decade ago), has around five theme parks, whereas Disneyland has only two. The thing is, none of World's theme parks, including the Magical Kingdom, are nearly as cool as Disneyland in California individually, so I really prefer to go to Disneyland. There's this great musical they perform over there based on Aladdin, and it was put together by the director of the world-famous Lion King musical, and it has much of the same flair. It is easily one of my favorite things at Disneyland.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

You mess with the dolphin, you get the nose.
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I love the computer part of epcot, the tech area, although they really ought to work at getting more gadgets for adults to play with.

I equally love the movie parts of MGM. ultimately, MGM is probably my favorite, between Star Tours and the Indiana Jones show.

I love Disney World. I work HARD at enjoying it as much as I did when I was young.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Leaving.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Disney Quest was rocking, all the virtual reality stuff and the arcade was awesome. Gotta say my favourite ride will always be Splash Mountain. Fun times.

Oh, and that river ride in Animal Kingdom? Fuck that. I might as well just SWIM around the god damned ride. I was actually ringing my clothes out after that one.

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know that my child self had a specific part of Disneyland he enjoyed the most, though I think I probably liked the EPCOT and worldwide portion the most for walking around.

My favorite rides:

Space Motherfucking Mountain
    Haunted Mansion
    Indiana Jones stunt show
    TWILIGHT ZONE TOWER OF TERROR <- we were so scared to go on this at first, but we ended up going on it more than any other ride. One day we went there at noon and were able to go three times in a row because there were literally no lines.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Indiana Jones stunt show

You know, I was like 10 when I went, and I was pissed that the guy wasn't Harrison Ford.

I guess I did have some fun playing the Simpson Arcade game at our hotel.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    YodaTuna wrote: »
    Indiana Jones stunt show

You know, I was like 10 when I went, and I was pissed that the guy wasn't Harrison Ford.

I was like ten when I went and I knew Ford didn't do most of the stunts in the movie. :P

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Space Motherfucking Mountain

MrMister on
  • Options
    150cc150cc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2007
    land > world

Favorite part of Disneyland would have to be Space Mountain in terms of rides

In terms of places to chill, favorite place to chill is dancing on Saturday nights at the Carnation pavilion when big band music is playing

150cc on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Leaving.
    Did one of the actors in costume rape you or something? Not having fun at Disneyland is like swimming in a river and not getting wet. It just isn't possible, because the place is made of pure fun extracted from mounds of joy essence.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    edited July 2007
    If you haven't had the chance to get down there during Christmas time, you really should. They change the Haunted Mansion and It's a Small World, and the former becomes arguably cooler while the latter becomes way fucking cooler. They actually rain fake snow down over the New Orleans place, which is just awesome beyond belief. I feel really privileged to have gotten the chance to experience Disneyland in December.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Mikesta wrote: »
    Leaving.
    Did one of the actors in costume rape you or something? Not having fun at Disneyland is like swimming in a river and not getting wet. It just isn't possible, because the place is made of pure fun extracted from mounds of joy essence.

Some people hate joy.

My sister's boyfriend was like that when we brought him with us to Disney a few weekends ago.

Fucker sat in his car half the time wishing he was out golfing or some shit.

Jackass was 15, trying to pretend he was an eighty year old curmudgeon.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Leaving.

Amusement parks aren't my thing. Going to Yellowstone Park? Now that was fun.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Ahh bypassing like and hour and a half of lines in front of space mountain with a fast pass.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Leaving.

Amusement parks aren't my thing. Going to Yellowstone Park? Now that was fun.
    I like national parks too, and I really love staying in a cabin and awakening to the sound of absolutely nothing. The blissful quiet is just awesome.

But really, I don't think anything will ever top a trip to Disneyland.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    ins0mniacins0mniac Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had way more fun at Universal Studios in Orlando than I did in Disney.

But that also might be because we stayed at the Hard Rock Hotel (which is sweet) and our room keys were fast passes for all the rides (which was fucking awesome).

It also helped that I was about 16 and there was a World Competition for Cheerleading, so I was constantly surrounded by girls.

It was awesome.

ins0mniac on
    X-Box Live Gamertag: Merciless319
  • Options
    darthmixdarthmix Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I'd love to go to Busch Gardens sometime. Darkastle sounds really cool, and it's so hard to find good dark rides outside of Disney. It's just that I'm such a west-coaster and I hardly ever get out to that side of the country.

darthmix on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Universal Studios only has about one day's worth of good stuff to see, with time left over for multiple meals and lots of shopping. At Disneyland, you can spend several days seeing all kinds of top of the line attractions. You could spend three days there and you wouldn't have to tide yourself over with mediocre rides or anything like that.

Mikesta on
    untitled.jpg

• Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    The only downside of Disney is the crowds; waiting a few hours for a 5-minute ride is just stupid. But if you're smart with your timing, and you've got the budget for the good food and hotels and passes and such, it really is pretty awesome.

Anyone who doesn't like Disney World strikes me as one of those guys who tries to be unique by disliking whatever everyone else likes. Unless they were unlucky with the timing and did spend their entire trip waiting in the 3 hour lines.

Me, I liked Epcot.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Disneyland has little tickets you can get now to get on to rides faster if you grab them early.

You spend very little time in line now.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't think anyone has yet to mention the Jungle Cruise, which gets better the older you get. The jokes become incredibly lame and yet, because of their inevitability, they entertain you like few other things in the park.

Personal fav: The Enchanted Tiki Room. At Disneyland it's fantastic, in Disneyworld is was a horrible abortion of a show. I don't know if they changed it in FL since 2000 though.

I must also second the comment by Mikesta, Christmas in Disneyland is fundamentally different than any other time of year. If you allow yourself to absorb your environment, it's infectious.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I had no intention of enjoying Disney World when my family went last summer. I fully expected to hate it. Ended up having huge fun and enjoying myself immensely. Fast Pass=genius.

That said, Epcot was my favorite part. I had no idea what it was, honestly...I thought it was just the big dome thing, which seemed pretty lame to me. The Space simulation ride is incredible (if you don't mind some vertigo), the Walk of Nations or whatever was fun if rather cheesy, and the laser shows were incredible.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I don't know when it was done, but at some point it was changed from it's classic version to having that parrot from Aladdin in it.

And I hate that guy's voice.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited July 2007
    Though I've been going to Disney since I was a kid, I just saw the Tiki room for the first time on my last trip.

Fricking -awesome-.

The sheer amount of work coordinating so many elements at once using old technology, gah.

Alas, I did not get to see Aladdin.

But hey: Fantasmic.

Fantasmic?

FANTASMIC.

Some imagination, huh?

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    TreelootTreeloot Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Leaving.

When I went to Disney World it was hotter than hell, there were incredibly long lines for everything, and the park was so damn big and crowded that it was hard to get around. Smaller amusement parks are more fun than Disney World any day.

Treeloot on
  • Options
    ryuprechtryuprecht Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    I don't know when it was done, but at some point it was changed from it's classic version to having that parrot from Aladdin in it.

And I hate that guy's voice.

That's the show I saw in 2000. It hurt all 5 of my senses.

ryuprecht on
  • Options
    PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    I liked the old Tiki Room. That was like the first thing we'd all go to whenever we visited MK until they changed it. Just not as good now.

Peachstrudle on
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DisneyQuest, with the "tomb raider" game in jeeps that were actually RC cars in a labyrinth UNDER THE FUCKING FLOOR.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited July 2007
    DisneyQuest, with the "tomb raider" game in jeeps that were actually RC cars in a labyrinth UNDER THE FUCKING FLOOR.

And the roller coaster sim. And the 4 player co-op walker rescue/alien killing thing. One guy drives, other 3 shoot. Or, you can do what me and one of my friends did, and have one person drive, and reach across to one gun turret, and have the 2nd guy manning both the back guns.

I think I have been to DisneyWorld close to 20 times now. Its ok, but I much prefer Busch Gardens in Tampa. Also, I have gotten to march in the Spectro Magic parade with my high School band twice. It was awesome, got to see the backlot area, which is fucking HUGE. I was a quartermaster at the time and was basically so good at organizing thing (fuck the drum major, lazy prick) that the cast member with us (one responible for this stuff) actually thought I was in command of the entire band.

ronzo on