As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pen and Paper and [chat]

• Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited October 2012
    what reeks of power relationships, eddy, is you using the same phrase to demand academic credentials as you would to demand verification of identity from a soon-to-be political prisonor

because it's the same thing

you curséd instrument of hegemony

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Sarksus wrote: »
    y wizards make scientists shitty

is wizards creationists

They're pretty badass actually.
    180.jpg42.jpg159.jpg173.jpg203.jpg183.jpg

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Started watching Dexter on Netflix. Recognized two samples I've heard used in the first ten seconds of this song.

The background score is from s1e03, the voice sample is from the pilot episode.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrVmLF3fN3c

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    A not-insignificant part of sustained success in American television is being really good looking, EM

in this you shall find your vaunted humor

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Gonmun wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    a known shit disturber?

Getting suspended from school, starting fights (some against my son no less), mouthing off to teachers. That's all that I can remember off the top of my head but I think he was accused of theft at the school as well.

I was questioning the phrase which I love but had never heard

this kid seems like he fits it pretty well

Well, like I said he seems to be turning things around. He's getting along with my son and I haven't heard about him getting suspended, etc. so far this year. I try and keep a pretty open dialogue going with my son given he's now 13 and going into those "awkward" teen years. Which is good because he's been going through some drama to do with girls now. I worry he's going to wind up being Canada's version of @Organichu when he gets older. :P

what!? i'm not my brother!

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    http://i.imgur.com/4hI0M.gif

parrot on skateboard

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Feral wrote: »
    This is bullshit!

It's bullshit until you cast an overloaded Street Spasm, clearing a path for all of your Splatter Thugs.

Man, overload and unleash are probably pretty good together...

Unleash is the kind of thing you need a lot of.

Overload is the kind of thing you only need one or two of.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I don't really feel like anyone in particular carried Friends. I think it was a true ensemble, and while Perry was probably the best overall comic, and Schwimmer was undoubtedly skilled at physical comedy, everyone had their place in the show and it would have been substantially less for the lack of any one of the actors.

rachel was dead weight man.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Upnfi2L4BKo

Whole thing or skip to 5:00

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    gAuSA.jpg

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    So they're just a pain to make decks from sealed boosters?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I haven't really played magic since they did the big rule change, so I have a hard time evaluating cards still.

Damage no longer goes in the stack, right?

It just... resolves?

Or something?

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Abdhyius wrote: »
    interesting legal wrinkle: if you could change a recorded voice to sound like whoever you want, is it illegal to reproduce Patrick Stewart's voice, say, and use it in a commercial product if you're not claiming it's him?

I'm guessing you'd get a few rulings saying that it would be considered a part of his likeness, in which case, yes.

Yeah, Pepsi or some other company wanted to use a Tom Waits song a few years ago and he refused. They hired some copycat, he sued and won.
    They used prosthetics to make someone look like Crispin Glover for Back to the Future part II, and Glover sued and got a settlement.

• Options

I can see why you would want to splash them though, card draw is THE SHIT in draft formats and stuff.

• Options
    PotatoNinjaPotatoNinja Fake Gamer Goat Registered User regular
    what reeks of power relationships, eddy, is you using the same phrase to demand academic credentials as you would to demand verification of identity from a soon-to-be political prisonor

I think "confusing academic insult or uncommon / rare black M:tG creature?" could be a game.

Orthodoxian Conformist Monstrosity
    Deceptive Nihilist Engine

Two goats enter, one car leaves
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    EM is already famous on TV guys

follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options

Yes.

• Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Really weird feeling to know a sound primarily from a song and then suddenly stumble upon the source they sampled.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    I haven't really played magic since they did the big rule change, so I have a hard time evaluating cards still.

It just... resolves?

Or something?

Damage no longer goes on the stack, correct.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Friends was a fucking horrible show. None of those characters were particularly unique. All were dumb and horny.

• Options
    edited October 2012

It just... resolves?

Or something?

Damage no longer goes on the stack, correct.

But can I still like...put 3 damage each on 4 different 4/4s with the same name and then drop Izzet Staticaster to kill them all or is that not a thing anymore?

Inquisitor on
  • Options

I think "confusing academic insult or uncommon / rare black M:tG creature?" could be a game.

Yawning Maw of Capitalism
    The Spectre Over Europe
    Derridean Différance Engine

• Options
    Vanguard wrote: »
    Friends was a fucking horrible show. None of those characters were particularly unique. All were dumb and horny.

Disagree. Friends was one of the few sitcoms that actually managed to be funny even with a laugh track.

• Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    I don't really feel like anyone in particular carried Friends. I think it was a true ensemble, and while Perry was probably the best overall comic, and Schwimmer was undoubtedly skilled at physical comedy, everyone had their place in the show and it would have been substantially less for the lack of any one of the actors.

Why does everyone hate on Jennifer Aniston? She was funny! She played Rachel Green in a way that I remember and watching her play a spoiled rich girl to an independent lady was pretty great.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    I have never seen a single episode of Friends.

• Options
    Mim wrote: »

Why does everyone hate on Jennifer Aniston? She was funny! She played Rachel Green in a way that I remember and watching her play a spoiled rich girl to an independent lady was pretty great.

she looks and acts exactly like my aunt and it freaks me out.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Nope.

• Options
    LolkenLolken Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited October 2012

Yawning Maw of Capitalism
    The Spectre Over Europe
    Derridean Différance Engine

Foucaultian Necropotence

Power extends its grip even beyond death

Lolken on
  • Options

she looks and acts exactly like my aunt and it freaks me out.

QiYky.jpg

your aunt looks like this?

can I meet your aunt?

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    friends was awful

OFFAL

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Friends boasted perfect execution of banal, middle-of-the-road sitcom writing and acting for 10 years.

Ten years.

• Options
    EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    Saussure, Semiotic Annihilator

"and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • Options
    Friends was the one thing that bonded all of the little cliques in my school.

Did Rachel get off the plane?! DID SHE GET OFF THE PLANE?!

yes she did, mother fuckers.

• Options
    my aunt, her husband, and their two kids are all kind of absurdly good looking

the two parents are also very talented artists, and my uncle is the creative director at a mobile game company

i have one of his pencil sketches on my wall and it's obvious he could do photorealism or close to it if he put the time into a piece

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    dibs on EM's aunt

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Characters in a comedy are rarely well-served by being unique or exceptional, part of what makes comedy is characters being relatable. And that is a feat in itself, taking 6 good looking actors (in Aniston's case, exceptionally good looking) and making them come across as relatable people. Then also it is a situational comedy, and much of the humor is in character consistency and development across a span of seasons juxtaposed with outrageous situations.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwmV60XB1Sc

• Options
    But can I still like...put 3 damage each on 4 different 4/4s with the same name and then drop Izzet Staticaster to kill them all or is that not a thing anymore?

Yes, you can. The damage is applied as soon as the effect resolves, and damage stays on the creature until end of turn.

So you could, for example, cast an overload Street Spasm where X=3, and then follow up with Izzet Staticaster's activated ability, and apply 1 more damage to kill each of them.

The rule change you're referring to (damage not going on the stack) generally only affects really marginal edge cases. The biggest change is with blocking. Let's say that a 5/4 is attacking you. You have Mercurial Chemister (2/3) and a 3-mana sorcery in your hand. According to the old rules, you could block the 5/4 with your Chemister, apply 2 damage, and then respond to the damage by tapping the Chemister for its second ability and discarding the 3-mana sorcery to kill the 5/4.

According to the new rules, if you block with the Chemister, you have two options: either activate his ability before combat damage is dealt, which means he never does his 2 combat damage to the attacker (because he will be tapped during combat damage application), or activate his ability after combat damage is applied (which he can't do, because he'll be dead).

• Options
    Form of Monkey!Form of Monkey! Registered User regular
    Friends was the one thing that bonded all of the little cliques in my school.

Did Rachel get off the plane?! DID SHE GET OFF THE PLANE?!

yes she did, mother fuckers.

Oh for us it was...smoking weed and listening to Nirvana?

But no, I could see how everyone watching Friends instead would be just as cool as that.

• Options
    Friends boasted perfect execution of banal, middle-of-the-road sitcom writing and acting for 10 years.

Ten years.

I once would have said the same, but compare the dialogue and plotlines from Friends with something like Everybody Loves Raymond or whatever.

It was better.

It's no Seinfield, but it's a solid piece in the genre.

• Options
    dibs on EM's aunt

No way! I just asked to meet her! That was my calling dibs!

This discussion has been closed.